PDA

View Full Version : Duck Dynasty patriarch suspended from his own show for his comments

test

soulster
12-19-2013, 01:01 PM
This all just happened last night as a result of comments Duck Dynasty's Phil Robertson made in the January issue of GQ magazine:

http://www.cnn.com/2013/12/18/showbiz/duck-dynasty-suspension/index.html

The comments that got him in hot water:

http://www.eonline.com/news/491955/duck-dynasty-s-phil-robertson-says-being-gay-is-illogical-a-vagina-is-desirable-than-a-man-s-anus

He didn't stop there! he had to say something about "the" Blacks:

http://www.eonline.com/news/492121/duck-dynasty-s-phil-robertson-thinks-black-people-were-happier-before-the-civil-rights-movement

And, of course Sarah Palin has to add her 2 cents:

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2013/12/19/phil-robertson-suspended-sarah-palin-duck-dynasty-fans-react/

And, here's Robertson's reaction:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2526198/Duck-Dynasty-star-Phil-Robertson-blasted-linking-homosexuality-bestiality-controversial-new-interview.html

My opinion? A&E has the same rights to suspend Robertson as he had to make his comments. Freedom of speech has consequences.

I do not think Robertson is a bigot, but he is incredibly ignorant. That's all I will say here because if I excercize my free speech, I may also get into trouble. :)

...and conservative christian republicans wonder why they keep loosing gays, Blacks and ethnicities. They keep offending them!

soulster
12-19-2013, 02:55 PM
Should I have added the word "gays" to the thread title?

Jerry Oz
12-19-2013, 03:10 PM
I read the articles. On one hand, I understand that the old man has his views. On the other hand, he either sides with the Godless entity that pays him millions or expresses his viewpoint contrary to their business interests and moral beliefs. The Bible teaches many lessons, one of which is you cannot serve God and money. Now that he sees where the money comes from [[hint: It ain't God), let's see if he decides which he will be loyal to.

soulster
12-19-2013, 03:37 PM
To his credit, he listed greedy people as among those he considers sinful.

Roberta75
12-19-2013, 05:09 PM
This all just happened last night as a result of comments Duck Dynasty's Phil Robertson made in the January issue of GQ magazine:

http://www.cnn.com/2013/12/18/showbiz/duck-dynasty-suspension/index.html

The comments that got him in hot water:

http://www.eonline.com/news/491955/duck-dynasty-s-phil-robertson-says-being-gay-is-illogical-a-vagina-is-desirable-than-a-man-s-anus

He didn't stop there! he had to say something about "the" Blacks:

http://www.eonline.com/news/492121/duck-dynasty-s-phil-robertson-thinks-black-people-were-happier-before-the-civil-rights-movement

And, of course Sarah Palin has to add her 2 cents:

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2013/12/19/phil-robertson-suspended-sarah-palin-duck-dynasty-fans-react/

And, here's Robertson's reaction:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2526198/Duck-Dynasty-star-Phil-Robertson-blasted-linking-homosexuality-bestiality-controversial-new-interview.html

My opinion? A&E has the same rights to suspend Robertson as he had to make his comments. Freedom of speech has consequences.

I do not think Robertson is a bigot, but he is incredibly ignorant. That's all I will say here because if I excercize my free speech, I may also get into trouble. :)

...and conservative christian republicans wonder why they keep loosing gays, Blacks and ethnicities. They keep offending them!

You DONT think he's a bigot well get a load of this.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/12/19/phil-robertson-black-people_n_4473474.html

Jerry Oz
12-19-2013, 05:12 PM
And we'll find out where he falls on that list when he decides to come back and work for a company that supports LGBT equality. Talk is cheap and sometimes we're tested to see if we actually listen to what we're saying to others.

Roberta75
12-19-2013, 05:21 PM
And we'll find out where he falls on that list when he decides to come back and work for a company that supports LGBT equality. Talk is cheap and sometimes we're tested to see if we actually listen to what we're saying to others.

I consider myself a real religious woman but I certainly dont pray to the same God as this man. My God love homosexual gentleman and lesbian ladies and all and races and religions. smh at the bigotry and ignorance in this here world.

Roberta

smark21
12-19-2013, 09:51 PM
http://tv.yahoo.com/blogs/tv-news/-duck-dynasty--star-phil-robertson-digs-his-hole-a-little-deeper-by-also-stinging-african-americans-173821415.html

More from the GQ interview coming out--according to Robertson Blacks were happy living under Jim Crow.

Jerry Oz
12-19-2013, 10:18 PM
I consider myself a real religious woman but I certainly dont pray to the same God as this man. My God love homosexual gentleman and lesbian ladies and all and races and religions. smh at the bigotry and ignorance in this here world.

Roberta
I believe myself to be religious as well, Roberta. There are a lot of religious hypocrites in this world. They all draw the line at something but fail to see that the same book that they thump rails against 97% of their own actions. They're the same as racists in the regard that they seek division based upon the most obvious reasons: skin color, nationality, sexual orientation, religious beliefs, age, ethnicity, etc. You get the picture. If they can see it, they call it out. Especially if it's different from them...

Ask one of these hypocrites if he tithes the first 10% of his increase and find out what his answer is [[and his reason for it; there's always an excuse). I'm not saying that "saved" people have to do that, but it's funny how many ignore that part of the Bible but manage to find any excuse in its pages to hate somebody who is different than them. They'll even tell you that they love the sinner, but that won't matter when an angry mob is beating somebody to death in front of them and their choice is to risk bodily harm to stop it or to let it continue. Some will even say the victim deserved it.

soulster
12-20-2013, 03:22 AM
You DONT think he's a bigot well get a load of this.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/12/19/phil-robertson-black-people_n_4473474.html

I already posted a link to that in my first post.

When I say that he's not a bigot, I mean in the dictionary definition. We don't know that he's incapable of listening and changing. He doesn't sound intolerant, another definition of "bigot". However, like I said, he displays incredible ignorance to the point of offending Blacks and gays. he tries to sound like he knows Black people, but, as we know, you can live side by side with people and never know what their life, struggles, and culture are about. It's worse because so many of these people hide behind the bible and God.

Phil Robertson has a bi-racial grandson. Gawd i'll bet that kid is screwed up!

soulster
12-20-2013, 03:28 AM

Roberta

Well, I pray to Jesus.

But, c'mon! How many guys secretly agree with at least a little of what he said about the vagina being more desirable to a man than a man's anus? :D And, how many people out there, Black and White, who believe that Black people like living on welfare? fess up! We are talking about free speech...

soulster
12-20-2013, 03:29 AM
http://tv.yahoo.com/blogs/tv-news/-duck-dynasty--star-phil-robertson-digs-his-hole-a-little-deeper-by-also-stinging-african-americans-173821415.html

More from the GQ interview coming out--according to Robertson Blacks were happy living under Jim Crow.

http://soulfuldetroit.com/showthread.php?10738-Duck-Dynasty-patriarch-suspended-from-his-own-show-for-his-comments&p=204454#post204454

Again, I covered that in my first post.

Jerry Oz
12-20-2013, 09:19 AM
Well, I pray to Jesus.

But, c'mon! How many guys secretly agree with at least a little of what he said about the vagina being more desirable to a man than a man's anus? :D And, how many people out there, Black and White, who believe that Black people like living on welfare? fess up! We are talking about free speech...
This is 100% truth, brother. But there is no such thing as "free" speech when commerce is involved. "Duck Dynasty" makes money because of advertisers and once people mobilize to target advertisers, we find out the value of free speech. Paula Deen will tell you this, as will Keith Olbermann and Alec Baldwin. You are free to say what you want, but be aware that if Black people are 15% of this country and gays are another 15% [[guesstimate), that offending 30% of your viewership might just make 30% less revenue for your network. The worshippers of the Cult of Personality are always ready to tear down their gods and raise up new ones to take their place.

soulster
12-20-2013, 10:44 AM
This is 100% truth, brother. But there is no such thing as "free" speech when commerce is involved. "Duck Dynasty" makes money because of advertisers and once people mobilize to target advertisers, we find out the value of free speech. Paula Deen will tell you this, as will Keith Olbermann and Alec Baldwin. You are free to say what you want, but be aware that if Black people are 15% of this country and gays are another 15% [[guesstimate), that offending 30% of your viewership might just make 30% less revenue for your network. The worshippers of the Cult of Personality are always ready to tear down their gods and raise up new ones to take their place.

I meant that free speech is a componant of this whole thing. I'm also talking about the freedom for forum members to speak their minds like Mr. Robertson.

Of course the far-right is being hypocritical about this. If a liberal star had made comments about christians, they would be calling for boycotts of the network until that person was fired.

In an update, Duck Dynasty will start their new season next year with the father in it. So much for A&E. We, who are offended, have the right to boycott the show and network. Too bad it isn't that easy. No matter what side you're on, we pay A&E through our cable or satellite subscriptions.

Jerry Oz
12-20-2013, 11:04 AM
That's true, but A&E can only be leveraged through their sponsors jumping off that ship. That is what happened with Glenn Beck and Faux News a couple of years ago.

In a side note, it's amazing what comes across as "news" these days. And reality "stars"? Whatever keeps us attentive, I guess...

skooldem1
12-21-2013, 07:12 PM
No one can have an opinion in this day and age.

smark21
12-21-2013, 08:15 PM
People can have opinions, but they shouldn't be so naïve to think that no one will find cause to disagree with them and feel the need to speak out strongly when someone says something objectionable. Free speech ain't free, and the worst thing one can do when hearing intolerance and bigotry is to say and do nothing.

AS or vaginas and anuses. A lot of anti gay people seem fixated on what some gay men do when having sex. First of all , not all gay men have anal sex or are into it. Also, there are straight couples who have anal sex--sometimes it's a man who wants a woman to bottom for him and there are straight men who like to bottom for a woman wearing a strap on, but they're still sexually, romantically and emotionally attracted to women. What consenting adults do in privacy to physically express their love and/or desire should be their business and their business only. People like this Duck Dynasty guy should stop fixating on such matters and what they think their God might judge such behavior and mind their own business and tend to their own souls.

soulster
12-21-2013, 08:21 PM
No one can have an opinion in this day and age. Nonsense! You can have your opinion, but people also have the right to react to, and challenge, those opinions. And, opinions have consequences.

jillfoster
12-21-2013, 08:27 PM
This guy sums it up pretty well.. if Phil gave 3/4 of his money to charity, then I wouldn't call him greedy, either... but he IS greedy and he sure as hell cashes those checks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KW343K1-upo

soulster
12-21-2013, 08:45 PM
AS or vaginas and anuses. A lot of anti gay people seem fixated on what some gay men do when having sex.E]

That is because straight men cannot wrap their heads around being sexually intimate with another man. We just can't. Just like gay guys cannot imagine being intimate with a female.

First of all , not all gay men have anal sex or are into it.

Then, what the hell do they do, then?

Also, there are straight couples who have anal sex--sometimes it's a man who wants a woman to bottom for him

Well, that makes sense to a straight guy. It's a woman's butt. The only penis and testicles around are his own.

and there are straight men who like to bottom for a woman wearing a strap on,

A woman using a strap-on a guy? I guess some people are cool with that.

but they're still sexually, romantically and emotionally attracted to women.

Exactly!

What consenting adults do in privacy to physically express their love and/or desire should be their business and their business only.

I totally agree. I never judge what two people, straight or gay, want to do. As long as they both enjoy it.

People like this Duck Dynasty guy should stop fixating on such matters and what they think their God might judge such behavior and mind their own business and tend to their own souls. I'm just telling you that it is hard for straight guys to understand how a guy can be emotionally intimate with another guy. It just doesn't register. So, of course the physical act is what we focus on. I am a straight guy. I cannot ever imagine doing anything physical or emotional with someone who has the same parts I do.

But, where Phil Robertson got in trouble was when he decided - not God - that homosexuals were as evil as killers, and those who do children and animals. He also got into trouble when he decided that he could speak for Black people, and that they were lazy.

skooldem1
12-21-2013, 09:14 PM
‘Duck Dynasty’ Fallout: GLAAD Reeling From Biggest Backlash in Years, Says Rep

In the fallout over Wednesday’s suspension of “Duck Dynasty” star Phil Robertson by A&E for anti-gay and racist remarks, GLAAD is experiencing record levels of backlash.

“In the five-and-a-half years I’ve worked at GLAAD, I’ve never received so many violently angry phone calls and social media posts attacking GLAAD for us speaking out against these comments,” the media watchdog organization’s vice president of communications Rich Ferraro told TheWrap.

He said those reactions range from those who simply believe as Robertson believes to those who feel that GLAAD and A&E’s actions limit the reality star’s free speech.

“I don’t think this is about the first amendment,” Ferraro said. “I feel it’s more about the America we live in today. That is one where Americans, gay and straight, are able to speak out when people in the public eye make anti-gay and racist remarks.”

Robertson’s supporters have started petitions, called for boycotts and include Sarah Palin, Sean Hannity and Louisiana governor Bobby Jindal. Currently, more than 70,000 people have signed the online petition asking A&E to drop the suspension.

“It just means we still have a lot of work to do,” Ferraro said.

GLAAD spoke with A&E representatives on Wednesday morning to discuss why people would be offended by the comments and calls to action. ”They took this very seriously, as soon as the news broke,” Ferraro said.

After the meeting, GLAAD issued its statement on Robertson’s comments. A&E initially released a statement from Robertson in which he said he would “never treat anyone with disrespect just because they are different from me.” But the network declined to comment itself until Wednesday night, when it announced the suspension, which GLAAD applauded.

“We believe the next step is to use this as an opportunity for Phil to sit down with gay families in Louisiana and learn about their lives and the values they share,” the spokesman said.

The organization is also currently researching companies who use Robertson as a spokesperson.

“Silence is agreement in this case,” he said. “With such egregious anti-gay and racist comments, those companies that choose to be affiliated with this family need to speak out.”

http://tv.yahoo.com/news/duck-dynasty-fallout-glaad-reeling-biggest-backlash-years-010050637.html

skooldem1
12-21-2013, 09:25 PM
I feel that people are entitled to their opinions. No one has to agree with everyones views or what they say. I do not want to live in a society where you cannot voice your opinion without the PC police policing everything you say. I don't know this man, don't watch this show, I am not religious and I am not a conservative. This man did not stop gay people from getting married, did not fire someone based on their sexuality, did not deny any gay person housing, or anything. All he did was voice his opinion, voice his experience. What pisses me off more than anything is how when GLAAD and extreme leftist didn't get the response they wanted using the gay angle, they then, and only then, did they bring up race. Why wasn't that mentioned from the git go? It seems that some people only want acceptance, when it comes to accepting their agenda. It has to be understood that different people have different opinions, and views on things in life.

Roberta75
12-21-2013, 10:14 PM
I feel that people are entitled to their opinions. No one has to agree with everyones views or what they say. I do not want to live in a society where you cannot voice your opinion without the PC police policing everything you say. I don't know this man, don't watch this show, I am not religious and I am not a conservative. This man did not stop gay people from getting married, did not fire someone based on their sexuality, did not deny any gay person housing, or anything. All he did was voice his opinion, voice his experience. What pisses me off more than anything is how when GLAAD and extreme leftist didn't get the response they wanted using the gay angle, they then, and only then, did they bring up race. Why wasn't that mentioned from the git go? It seems that some people only want acceptance, when it comes to accepting their agenda. It has to be understood that different people have different opinions, and views on things in life.

Martin Bashir voiced his opinion about Sarah Palin and the far right coaxed on by Fox News and Sarah Palin and Sean Hannity and Rush Limbaugh drummed him out of MSnbC and all Mr bashir did was offer his opinion about Sara Palin. Anti gay hate is just as bad as racist hate and religious hate and sexist hate. Ive bnever watched Duck dynasty and know nothing about the show but when you make vile homophobic statements and say that black people were happy under Jim Crow then your employer AE in his case has every right to fire him. You can voice your opinions and you have every right to cvoice your opinions but there are concequencies as Mr Robertson found out.

Roberta

Roberta75
12-21-2013, 10:24 PM
I'm just telling you that it is hard for straight guys to understand how a guy can be emotionally intimate with another guy. It just doesn't register. So, of course the physical act is what we focus on. I am a straight guy. I cannot ever imagine doing anything physical or emotional with someone who has the same parts I do.

You cant speak for every straight guy just as i cant speak for every straight woman but I can tell you that although Im straight it dont bother me one bit what lesbian ladies or homosexual gentlemen do during intimate relations. Love is love and love is beautiful and im sorry YOU cant wrap your head around being with another man but Im real sure there are millions of heterosexuall men that can and have NO problem with it.

Roberta

skooldem1
12-21-2013, 10:30 PM
Roberta, I thought you lived by "the word"? Also, please tell me what is the anti-gay hate that he spoke of. I have only read where he basically said he prefers vagina over a man's ass. Did he say more on the topic, other than he believes that it is a sin?

Roberta75
12-21-2013, 10:31 PM
Martin Bashir and Sarah Palin are both jerks. Still, they should be able to voice their opinions.

yes they should but they are public figures who work for companies so theres consiquencies.

Roberta

skooldem1
12-21-2013, 10:32 PM
Martin Bashir and Sarah Palin are both jerks. Still, they should be able to voice their opinions.

skooldem1
12-21-2013, 10:37 PM
You keep on talking about the consequences. Did you read about the backlash against GLAAD? Have you read about the Duck Dynasty fans boycotting that network? I'd venture to say that there are more Duck Dynasty fans, and Christians than people with extreme liberal views. The Duck Dynasty crew can retire with their hundreds of millions and play in the swamp. It is the network that will suffer, not them.

http://tv.yahoo.com/news/duck-dynasty-fallout-glaad-reeling-biggest-backlash-years-010050637.html

Roberta75
12-21-2013, 10:42 PM
Roberta, I thought you lived by "the word"? Also, please tell me what is the anti-gay hate that he spoke of. I have only read where he basically said he prefers vagina over a man's ass. Did he say more on the topic, other than he believes that it is a sin?

I live by the word and the voice of my Jesus but my Jesus dont judge and love everyone. He got caught by GQ but he said worse stuff in 2010 and what he said in 2010 was disgusting and hateful.

TMZ posted a video Thursday of Robertson unleashing an anti-gay sermon [[http://www.tmz.com/2013/12/19/phil-robertson-2010-sermon-homosexuality-gays-homophobia-a-and-e/) on a crowd at Pennsylvania's Berean Bible Church's Wild Game Supper in 2010. In the video, the Duck Commander king can be seen dressed in camouflage, thumping a Bible, talking about sexual deviants and the lack of morality in America.

"First they say, 'There is no God. Get him out of your mind,'" he said in a rambling speech. "Then they bow down to birds, animals and reptiles, and each other. And the first thing you see coming out of them is gross sexual immorality. They will dishonor their bodies with one another, degrade each other. Uh, is that going on in the United States of America? Look around. God's not there... And boy is there some immorality going on around here. Does it get worse? Women with women, men with men, they committed indecent acts with one another, and they received in themselves the due penalty for their perversions, They're full of murder, envy, strife, hatred. They are insolent, arrogant, God-haters. They are heartless, they are faithless, they are senseless, they are ruthless. They invent ways of doing evil. That's what you have 235 years, roughly, after your forefathers founded the country. So what are you gonna do Pennsylvania? Just run with them? You're doing to die. Don't forget that."

Please tell me you find what he said in 2010 offenssive skooldem1.

Roberta

Roberta75
12-21-2013, 10:45 PM
You keep on talking about the consequences. Did you read about the backlash against GLAAD? Have you read about the Duck Dynasty fans boycotting that network? I'd venture to say that there are more Duck Dynasty fans, and Christians than people with extreme liberal views. The Duck Dynasty crew can retire with their hundreds of millions and play in the swamp. It is the network that will suffer, not them.

Those right wing "fans" that are boycotting the network are also threatning A+E and Glaad with death threats. Thats not cool and real dangerous.

Roberta

skooldem1
12-21-2013, 10:52 PM
How can you say that all fans of that show are right wing? Roberta, are his views directly hurting anyone? I may not agree with what he says, but he has a right to say it.

Roberta75
12-21-2013, 11:03 PM
How can you say that all fans of that show are right wing? Roberta, are his views directly hurting anyone? I may not agree with what he says, but he has a right to say it.

I should have said some of those right wing fans so for that i apologize and yes hes stating his opinion and YES his views may be hurting people. Do you know how painfull it is for young gay kids that get taunted at bullied at school and his words are giving bulliers the message that its okay to say hateful things and NO lesbian lady teenager or young homosexual gentleman in school should be bullied but Robertsons saying they are

"full of murder, envy, strife, hatred and that they are insolent, arrogant, God-haters, heartless, faithless, senseless and ruthless"

Those are very dangerous hurtful and irrisponsible words skooldem1.

Roberta

blueskies
12-21-2013, 11:50 PM
In regards to Phil Robertson...I think Shakespeare put it very eloquently in Hamlet...."I think the lady doth protest too loudly".

Jerry Oz
12-22-2013, 09:14 AM
So, we all agree on this much: He had a right to say it, just as people have a right to disagree with what he said and react to it. As in everything, the market forces will determine what happens next. Morality has nothing to do with it, only money.

And leave the Constitution out of it. This has nothing to do with the right to free expression because he was not arrested for his viewpoint. People throw that red herring out there too often and now some think it means anyone can say anything with impunity.

soulster
12-22-2013, 01:41 PM
I feel that people are entitled to their opinions. No one has to agree with everyones views or what they say. I do not want to live in a society where you cannot voice your opinion without the PC police policing everything you say. I don't know this man, don't watch this show, I am not religious and I am not a conservative. This man did not stop gay people from getting married, did not fire someone based on their sexuality, did not deny any gay person housing, or anything. All he did was voice his opinion, voice his experience. What pisses me off more than anything is how when GLAAD and extreme leftist didn't get the response they wanted using the gay angle, they then, and only then, did they bring up race. Why wasn't that mentioned from the git go? It seems that some people only want acceptance, when it comes to accepting their agenda. It has to be understood that different people have different opinions, and views on things in life. What he said about Black people was equally offensive.

There is no PC police. A&E has the right to suspend or terminate the contract of anyone who they deem a determent to their ability to make a profit. I'm sure there is language in the contract to that effect. Seeing as how the whole family falls in line with the father's views, i'm wondering if they are considering more action.

I'm sure a good portion of the show's viewers had no clue as to the political views of the family. We shall see what happens if and when the show comes back next month for the new season.

Gotta love how the christian right frame themselves the victim of the evil liberals.

soulster
12-22-2013, 01:49 PM
You cant speak for every straight guy just as i cant speak for every straight woman but I can tell you that although Im straight it dont bother me one bit what lesbian ladies or homosexual gentlemen do during intimate relations. Love is love and love is beautiful and im sorry YOU cant wrap your head around being with another man but Im real sure there are millions of heterosexuall men that can and have NO problem with it.

Roberta
It should have been obvious that my post was partly trolling. However, what I said about straight people secretly agreeing with Mr. Robertson's comments is certainly true. Some are showing that it's true through their support for him and his show. I'm also seeing an uptick in white men wearing fatigues.

It seriously does no bother me what ANY two, or more people choose to so in the privacy of their company. Truthfully, I choose not to see two guys going at it. It may be natural and normal for them, but I just choose not to know about it. I don't have a problem with two women, though. If that's piggish of me, so be it.

Oh, BTW, women didn't escape the elder Duck's earlier comments. Some time ago, he once told someone that the main quality a man should seek in a woman is that she can cook.

The bible-thumper follows the fundamentalist line of thought that women should be seen and not heard, and that the man shall rule over them. Many people from the south still think this way, as do many alpha males, and those of other faiths.

soulster
12-22-2013, 01:55 PM
Roberta, I thought you lived by "the word"? Also, please tell me what is the anti-gay hate that he spoke of. I have only read where he basically said he prefers vagina over a man's ass. Did he say more on the topic, other than he believes that it is a sin? Exactly. He said we should love gays and treat them with love. But, he did equate them with depravity and criminals. That's the bad part.

And, the part that people are finally discussing bigtime is how he seems to long for the days of Jim Crow.

Meanwhile, in all of this, a federal judge just a couple of days ago struck down Utah's ban on gay marriage! Haha! I love it! Of all the states in the country! Mormon country!

And, you cannot even put Martin Bashir in the same room as Sarah Palin! The guy has brains and class, where Palin has neither class or brains.

soulster
12-22-2013, 02:04 PM

Somehow, I think Disney, the parent company, will get over it.

The nice thing about the U.S.'s First Amendment is that anyone can say what they want at their own risk, and we are free to speak out against whomever we wish. If you think this is not true, you are delusional and paranoid.

soulster
12-22-2013, 02:07 PM
How can you say that all fans of that show are right wing? Roberta, are his views directly hurting anyone? I may not agree with what he says, but he has a right to say it. Bottom line is that if you don't want these assholes back in office, making laws against Blacks, LGBT, Latinos, the elderly, children, mothers with children, the disables, and the poor, you all better VOTE next year!

soulster
12-22-2013, 11:13 PM
Some more things to note:

The groundswell of support for Duck Dynasty's Phil Robertson, and his comments, tells us that there are a awful lot of ignorant bigots and racists out there. What's just as disturbing are the number of retailers who have either reversed their decision to pull DD products, or who never have. What is ever worse is that we have not seen much protest and threat of boycotting from hardly any other group except GLAD. There's a lot of talking and very little action. Oh well, I guess a lot of people wish we could go back to Jim Crow when the "nigras" were happy with their lot in life.

And, the funny part is that whenever the republican party says it's going to change their image and bring Blacks, Latinos, and gays into the fold, stuff like this happens with their base and throws off their plans.

JIVE FIVE Mary G.
12-23-2013, 03:14 PM
Here we go again with assumptions that all the supporters of this guy are Republicans. Balderdash! You sound as bigoted and ignorant as Robinson with statements like that. I dare suggest many of his supporters are southern Democrats, given the fact they make up the majority of voters in states like Louisiana where Robertson is from. Ignorant is what ignorant says and does. Seems it spans beyond what people here would care to admit.

soulster
12-23-2013, 09:18 PM
Here we go again with assumptions that all the supporters of this guy are Republicans. I would put money on it. I'll bet if you were to ask fans and supporters of Phil Robertson's comments what party they align themselves with, 90%> would say either Republicans or Libertarians.

Jerry Oz
12-23-2013, 09:20 PM
I don't know if they are or if they are not, but curiously, it was Bobby Jindal and Sarah Palin that came out first to defend him... Just sayin', is all...

smark21
12-23-2013, 09:25 PM
There aren't that many white Southern Democrats any more. The Republicans pretty much dominate the states of the old Confederacy. There are a couple of states, such as North Carolina and Florida, where the Democratic party is still in pretty decent shape, but by and large most of the elected Democrats in the South are in African American majority districts or in University towns where there may be a more educated and liberal element. Most of the Southern white Democrats have become Republicans because the GOP promotes a white supremacist agenda.

soulster
12-23-2013, 10:01 PM
I don't know if they are or if they are not, but curiously, it was Bobby Jindal and Sarah Palin that came out first to defend him... Just sayin', is all... And the idiots on Fox news, and right-wing radio talk show hosts, and evangelical christians...yup! Just about all of them are conservative/republican/christian and libertarians.

Jive Five Mary is trying so hard to be impartial and insulting, that she can't see cold, hard reality.

jillfoster
12-23-2013, 10:28 PM
I don't know if they are or if they are not, but curiously, it was Bobby Jindal and Sarah Palin that came out first to defend him... Just sayin', is all...

How come those two aren't defending Justine Sacco's free speech?

Jerry Oz
12-23-2013, 11:17 PM
Because picking on gays is low hanging fruit for the knuckle-dragging set. Picking on Black people is okay if it's suggestive, but not if it's as obvious as her tweet was. They won't touch her with a ten foot pole.

JIVE FIVE Mary G.
12-28-2013, 12:04 PM
No comment, just information.
http://www.rr.com/articles/2013/12/27/a/a-e-reverses-decision-on-duck-dynasty-patriarch

~~Mary~~

soulster
12-28-2013, 04:32 PM
There aren't that many white Southern Democrats any more. The Republicans pretty much dominate the states of the old Confederacy. There are a couple of states, such as North Carolina and Florida, where the Democratic party is still in pretty decent shape...

You call what recently happened in North Carolina decent?

http://thisweekinblackness.com/2013/07/25/wtf-north-carolina/

Looks like the Democrats there couldn't do much to stop it.

soulster
12-28-2013, 04:34 PM
No comment, just information.
http://www.rr.com/articles/2013/12/27/a/a-e-reverses-decision-on-duck-dynasty-patriarch

~~Mary~~

I posted this news days ago.