PDA

View Full Version : Gladys Knight and the Pips question.....

test

marybrewster
12-18-2013, 11:23 AM
I don't know if this is Motown specific, but since GK&TP were once Motown artists, I figured I'd start here:

Over the years I've read that in the late 70's, early 80's, due to "legal problems", Gladys and the Pips were forced to break up and/or recod separately. I understand both ended up recording "solo" albums.

Does anyone know exactly what the "legal problems" were? Everything I have read is very vague, and I don't know that I have ever heard specifically what the issue was.

reese
12-18-2013, 11:35 AM
I think there was a lawsuit hanging over their heads from the Motown era, plus there were also legal issues when they were trying to leave Buddah to sign with CBS.

jack020
12-18-2013, 01:42 PM
Despite the group's growing success at Buddah, legal problems ensued for the remainder of the decade as a result of their attempted label switch to Columbia, coupled with a previous unsettled [[http://www.answers.com/topic/unsettled) suit by Motown. Because of these legal proceedings, Gladys was not allowed to record with the Pips for three years--though they sang together live). During this time, Gladys recorded a solo album and the Pips released two albums on Casablanca. Because of their inability to record together, the group's popularity waned. An out of court settlement in 1980, however, resulted in a new contract for Knight and the Pips through 1985. Once reunited on Columbia, the group rapidly regained their former status with All About Love and the #3 R & B hit, "Landlord," produced by one of the most enduring songwriting teams, Ashford and Simpson [[http://www.answers.com/topic/ashford-and-simpson).

rrussi
12-18-2013, 02:55 PM
All I know is that they were Gladys Knight and the Pips long before signing with Motown or any other company and they were one of the best performing groups I've ever seen. I always thought it was a mistake to record separately or especially to perform separately.

RossHolloway
12-18-2013, 03:47 PM
What was the lawsuit with Motown about?

milven
12-18-2013, 05:13 PM
....I always thought it was a mistake to record separately or especially to perform separately.

I like that Bubba still performs with Gladys at all her concerts.
The Pips were on Richard Pryor Show by themselves during the dispute and sang their hits. but with no one at Gladys' microphone. Funny

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdN27HzoyO4

reese
12-18-2013, 05:30 PM
What was the lawsuit with Motown about?

Unpaid royalties.

midnightman
12-18-2013, 09:00 PM
Yeah unpaid royalties and something to deal with Buddah. It was all a mess. And they literally forced them to record for three years without each other. That's sick actually since that was a family group [[for the most part).

reese
12-18-2013, 10:47 PM
Yeah unpaid royalties and something to deal with Buddah. It was all a mess. And they literally forced them to record for three years without each other. That's sick actually since that was a family group [[for the most part).

Although you really couldn't tell on wax. Maybe Buddah pulled out some unreleased material. But 1979 was the only year during that period that Gladys and the Pips didn't release a group album.

milven
12-19-2013, 11:59 AM
...that's sick actually since that was a family group [[for the most part).
A family group completely. Brother ,sister and two cousins

reese
12-19-2013, 12:33 PM
A family group completely. Brother ,sister and two cousins

Technically, Ed Patten wasn't really a cousin. He was a cousin of the wife of their cousin/first manager James "Pip" Woods.

Motown4Ever518
12-23-2013, 07:38 PM
Sadly, I have always felt that this is why we haven't/won't see a GK+TP Lost and Found, because of the bad feelings. I hope I am wrong on both counts.

reese
12-23-2013, 08:57 PM
Sadly, I have always felt that this is why we haven't/won't see a GK+TP Lost and Found, because of the bad feelings. I hope I am wrong on both counts.

I hope not. The Motown lawsuit was settled long ago, and the company has released several compilations as well as all of their albums [[except the live one) since then.

theboyfromxtown
12-24-2013, 11:53 AM
There are contractual obligations to meet when Motown Gladys Knight & The Pips recordings are issued. Not that it's been a big problem with the UK Cellarful series issued in past years.