PDA

View Full Version : Supremes Christmas album

test

antceleb12
12-17-2013, 05:15 PM
Ok...so I know this has been asked and discussed 1,000 times, but I'm wondering if anyone might have any conclusive answers.

Mary's book/log states that they recorded the Christmas album. However, the Andantes are quite prominently audible on all tracks. Some sources say that Mary and Florence recorded their vocals and the Andantes were mixed in, and other sources say that their vocals were completely scratched and recorded by the Andantes. Other than Flo's contributions to "Silent Night" and "Oh Holy Night," I can't hear Flo or Mary on any track.

Second question: Tracks not included on the original release: "Silent Night," "The First Noel," "Oh Holy Night," and "O Little Town of Bethlehem." Are there any others left in the vaults? Mary's book [[I think) also states that there is an unfinished recording of Diana on "Silent Night" in the vaults.

Third question: Flo's "Silent Night" appears in a shortened, sparsely-orchestrated version on the "Never-Before-Released Masters" compilation. Was that something producers spliced together, or did Flo initially record a one-verse version with minor orchestration?

R. Mark Desjardins
12-17-2013, 05:19 PM
I don't know if my observation answers any questions for you, antcelev12, but I have noticed some subtle difference between The Supremes mono and stereo version of their vinyl Christmas album. Maybe they were recorded during different sessions?

antceleb12
12-17-2013, 06:02 PM
I don't know if my observation answers any questions for you, antcelev12, but I have noticed some subtle difference between The Supremes mono and stereo version of their vinyl Christmas album. Maybe they were recorded during different sessions?

Really? What differences have you noticed? I might have to relisten...

R. Mark Desjardins
12-17-2013, 06:31 PM
I've always dug "My Favorite Things" and on the mono version, there is a much funkier sax solo. Perhaps a nod to John Coltrane, so that has been the focus of my in depth listening. However, other pre stereo only Tamla/Motown recording sessions where there is a stereo and mono version available, it appears that there were two distinct recording sessions/takes. Sometimes you can luck out finding a mono Merry Christmas vinyl record.

BayouMotownMan
12-17-2013, 07:09 PM
I think it's Mary and Flo on Children's Christmas Song. At the fade I can definitely hear Flo saying Merry Christmas everybody.

nabob
12-17-2013, 07:43 PM
I don't know if my observation answers any questions for you, antcelev12, but I have noticed some subtle difference between The Supremes mono and stereo version of their vinyl Christmas album. Maybe they were recorded during different sessions?The vocal track on My Christmas Tree seems to be different on the mono and stereo vinyl releases. The mix is also slightly different. That's the only song where I noticed differences because I loved and played the track so much.

Side note: This was one of the first songs sold by Jimmy Webb, before he marched onto his own fame.

BayouMotownMan
12-17-2013, 07:52 PM
Twinkle Twinkle Little Me is also different stereo to mono. Childrens Christmas Song is also slightly different

midnight johnny
12-17-2013, 07:55 PM
In my interview with Louvain Demps, she was more than sure that she and the Andantes were in the background of the "Children's Christmas Song" playing some of the "children".

thanxal
12-17-2013, 09:34 PM
I've always dug "My Favorite Things" and on the mono version, there is a much funkier sax solo. Perhaps a nod to John Coltrane, so that has been the focus of my in depth listening. However, other pre stereo only Tamla/Motown recording sessions where there is a stereo and mono version available, it appears that there were two distinct recording sessions/takes. Sometimes you can luck out finding a mono Merry Christmas vinyl record.
OK so went to the record shelf. I have the original mono and stereo mixes of the original LPs. There are ever so subtle differences, but I can't hear if it is a different recording or just mix. I'll have to re-listen closely with headphones.

johnjeb
12-18-2013, 12:31 AM
Really? What differences have you noticed? I might have to relisten...

I burned my mono album onto CD-R, I prefer it over the stereo version.

White Christmas and Silver Bells have minimal background vocals. My first thought back in 1965 is that these were Diana solos.

My Christmas Tree and Twinkle Twinkle Little Me are different vocals - the phrasing is slightly different.

Santa Claus Is Coming To Town sounds fuller and has some studio chatter by Diana in the musical break/bridge.

I haven't noticed any glaring differences in any of the other songs, but I will have to listen for that sax solo on My Favorite Things, that was mentioned above.

honest man
12-19-2013, 08:07 AM
Does anyone know how many xmas tunes DRATS have been put out on cd[i have all of them but can't remember on what]'bout time i put all on cdr.Iknow xmas in the city,a motown xmas carol , come to mind,any input greatly appreciated,cheers.

honest man
12-19-2013, 08:24 AM
Also include Disney songs Toyland etc from Unreleased masters i think,,any Chim chimerees out there would love to hear it,maybe.

REDHOT
12-19-2013, 05:13 PM
Sorry this is one Supreme album i never liked,i tryed lol

jobeterob
12-19-2013, 06:18 PM
One of the most popular, best selling Diana Ross/Supremes albums ever.

floyjoy678
12-19-2013, 07:00 PM
I like the album overall, I like Silver Bells, Little Bright Star, Silent Night, Born Of Mary and Santa Claus Is Coming, Coming and O Holy Night. I think out of all of the songs I like Born of Mary the most. My Favorite Things, Diana sounds too bored on it and I liked it better when they performed it live on Ed Sullivan a year later. I also can't stand Children's Christmas Song. It seems that Mary [[The Supreme) was the only member of the group who didn't contribute to this album except for posing for the cover of the album, unless her and Florence are mixed in the background somewhere but I'm not hearing it. I wonder if those are the Andantes at the end there "Hi! We're the Supremes..." HAHAHA!

blueskies
12-19-2013, 07:28 PM
I wonder if those are the Andantes at the end there "Hi! We're the Supremes..." HAHAHA!
Now that WAS funny!

jobeterob
12-19-2013, 08:22 PM
Well I always thought I heard Florence saying those words "Hi! We're the Supremes". But as the years have gone on, I realize some of those voices I've been hearing were Andantes. I should go tell a shrink I've been hearing Andantes all the time and thought they were Supremes...........and see what happens.

smark21
12-19-2013, 09:09 PM
One of the most popular, best selling Diana Ross/Supremes albums ever.

But musically, do you enjoy the album? What are some of your favorite songs and why do you enjoy them? Any you don't like? And why don't you like them?

captainjames
12-19-2013, 09:43 PM
One of my all time favorite albums by the girls. It will always be a SUPREME album but I knw in my heart Mary and Flo are not on this.

supremester
12-19-2013, 10:57 PM
I was 10 when this came out and I cherished my mono version during my favorite time of year.......I was ape shit for it. I Hear A Symphony was on all the time and so was this, although Childrens Christmas Song was, I felt, a stupid choice [[and still do.) It was getting SO expensive to be a Supremes fan and I was not gonna wait until Dec for Santa to give it to me! I loved the Wall Of Sound feel of those cuts and still love the mono Silver Bells, Santa's Coming, Little Bright Star......it was a fun album to play, but my sister was SO over The Supremes - 7 albums in one year and I was expecting Supremes At The Copa [[#8) Dec 25th. No group ever put out that many in a year. I'm still nostalgic about Merry Christmas, but see lots of room for improvement. And yes, on many cuts, I miss Flo & Mary.

smark21
12-20-2013, 08:26 AM
OH well, at least Mary got her name on the title of two Supremes albums--Mary Christmas and Mary, Scherrie and Susaye. That Ross woman never had her name incorporated into the title of a Supremes album which might explain all the solo albums with titles like Diana, Ross, and Diana Ross.

florence
12-20-2013, 02:12 PM
Children's Christmas Song made Record World's Top 100 for 2 weeks reaching #90.

supremester
12-21-2013, 05:18 AM
I guess that's one more point for La Mare in The Diana vs Mary Sweepstakes. PLUS a bonus half point because La Mare really has a third: her Motown album is titled "Mary Wilson."

OH well, at least Mary got her name on the title of two Supremes albums--Mary Christmas and Mary, Scherrie and Susaye. That Ross woman never had her name incorporated into the title of a Supremes album which might explain all the solo albums with titles like Diana, Ross, and Diana Ross.

markdtiller
12-21-2013, 07:31 PM
There are 3 of the songs on the mono version that differ from the stereo. This is from discography of J.Randy Tarraborelli's later updated "Diana" biography.

"Silver Bells" [[no background vocals)
"My Christmas Tree" [[alternate lead vocal)
"Twinkle Twinkle Little Me" [[alternate lead vocal)
I have a studio take of Diana singing the first half of "Silent Night". Her voice sounds tired and strained and she can't reach the high note.

antceleb12
12-22-2013, 02:02 AM
There are 3 of the songs on the mono version that differ from the stereo. This is from discography of J.Randy Tarraborelli's later updated "Diana" biography.

"Silver Bells" [[no background vocals)
"My Christmas Tree" [[alternate lead vocal)
"Twinkle Twinkle Little Me" [[alternate lead vocal)
I have a studio take of Diana singing the first half of "Silent Night". Her voice sounds tired and strained and she can't reach the high note.

Interesting...lots of great information posted here. Thanks a lot!