PDA

View Full Version : Nirvana, Kiss, Ronstadt, Stevens, Gabriel, Hall & Oates in Rock Hall of Fame

test

jobeterob
12-17-2013, 12:07 PM
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame picks six performers as 2014 inductees
They are Nirvana, KISS, Linda Ronstadt, Peter Gabriel, Hall and Oates and Cat Stevens
The induction ceremony will take place this April in New York
Brian Epstein, Andrew Loog Oldham and The E Street Band also will receive honors

[[CNN) -- Grunge and glam rock are among the genres that got the nod from the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame as it announced its inductees for 2014.

The final choices, announced Tuesday, include angst-ridden alternative rockers Nirvana and big-haired, makeup-slathered pop metal band KISS.

They are joined by blue-eyed-soul hitmakers Hall and Oates, experimental artist Peter Gabriel, pop star Linda Ronstadt and folk singer Cat Stevens.

Between them, the new inductees boast an impressive array of chart success and critical plaudits.

Hall and Oates, Gabriel and Ronstadt have all hit No. 1 on Billboard's Hot 100 singles chart. Ronstadt, Nirvana and KISS have each sold more than 20 million albums.

The legacy of Nirvana, who almost unwittingly brought grunge into the mainstream in the early 1990s, has been described as "one of the most influential in rock & roll history," by Allmusic.com's Stephen Thomas Erlewine.

The group's sound -- "both fiery and melodic," per Erlewine -- proved irresistible to many rock fans, most notably with the breakthrough album "Nevermind." But the band's story is shrouded in sadness after lead singer Kurt Cobain, who suffered from depression and drug addiction, killed himself in 1994.

Gabriel, the winner of multiple Grammy Awards, has been acclaimed for exploring electronic and world music in his varied solo career. Genesis, the progressive rock group he led in the 1970s, was already inducted into the Hall of Fame in 2010.

KISS may have received mixed responses from the critics during its 1970s heyday. But the extravagantly outfitted group built a roaring fan base called the "KISS Army" on the back of incessant touring, pyrotechnic stage shows and several hit albums.

Hard rock fans may be less impressed by the gentler sounds of some of the other inductees.

Ronstadt, who emerged from the Los Angeles folk scene in the late 1960s, went on to have a glittering career that spanned a variety of styles, including country, new wave and Latin music. She won a raft of Grammy Awards and sold at least 30 million albums. Earlier this year, she told AARP that she was suffering from Parkinson's disease and could no longer "sing a note."

British singer-songwriter Cat Stevens crafted a string of popular songs for himself and others throughout the 1970s. With hits like "Wild World" and "Peace Train," he became a leading figure in the folk-rock scene of that era and has sold more than 15 million albums.

In 1977, he made headlines by converting to Islam and changing his name to Yusuf Islam. He stepped away from the limelight of the music business for more than 20 years, before eventually returning to touring and recording.

Daryl Hall and John Oates peppered the charts with hits during the 1970s and '80s, chalking up six number one singles and six platinum albums. The popularity of their blend of smooth R&B and punchy rock made them one of the most successful pop duos of all time, selling more than 13 million albums.

The artists' induction ceremony into the Hall of Fame will take place April 10 at Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York.

Fans were able to participate in the selection of the inductees through voting. The top five artists from online public voting made it onto a "fans' ballot" that was tallied along with the other ballots for the Class of 2014. The inductees were chosen by a secret ballot of 600 voters, a group that includes previous inductees, music industry veterans, historians and critics.

Of the five artists on the fans' ballot, three made the final cut of inductees, the Hall of Fame said.

Some popular acts listed among the 16 nominees in October failed to find their way into the Hall of Fame this time around. Those who missed out include disco dynamos Chic, college radio heroes the Replacements, New Orleans funkmeisters the Meters and pioneering gangsta rappers N.W.A.

Last year's class of inductees included Rush, Randy Newman, Public Enemy, Donna Summer and Quincy Jones.

Alongside the six acts in the performer category for 2014, the work of Beatles manager Brian Epstein and Rolling Stones manager Andrew Loog Oldham were selected for the Ahmet Ertegun Award, which recognizes recording industry professionals "who have had a major influence on the development of rock and roll."

The Hall of Fame chose Bruce Springsteen's backup group The E Street Band for the Award for Musical Excellence. Springsteen was inducted in 1999.

stephanie
12-17-2013, 12:58 PM
ZZZZZZZZZZZZ. That is not directed toward you Jobeterob for posting this. That is directed towards those who think this is a great list. It is not bad but I am glad KISS is in because their fans will stop barking and I think the Ronstadt vote is a sympathy one I could be wrong. Good to see Hall and Oates they are humble guys and I think they are even shocked they are in. One of the best selling duets in history along with Marvin and Tammi and the Everly Bros. My only big beef here is the nomination of Nirvana give me a break. Enough of my rant thanks for posting this.

mark speck
12-17-2013, 01:37 PM
I can live with these six...I've never been a big Linda Ronstadt fan, and I'm only minimally into Hall & Oates and Nirvana, but I enjoy Kiss [[their older music), Cat Stevens and Peter Gabriel. I'm glad the hip-hop acts that were nominated didn't get in, but I wish the Zombies could've made it in.

Best,

Mark

marybrewster
12-17-2013, 03:38 PM
No Motown artists.

smark21
12-17-2013, 09:24 PM
Nirvana is really the only act that truly deserves induction given their influence and impact on a generation of rock fans and musicians.

soulster
12-17-2013, 11:07 PM
I'm bummed-out that Chic didn't make it this year. Maybe next year.

To me, it seems like a lot of politics were being played with this year's inductees.

I love Nirvana, and think they deserve to be in, but it just seems to me like someone was just waiting for the first opportunity to get them in as soon as possible.

thisoldheart
12-18-2013, 12:56 AM
for god's sake, when the hell is chic gonna get in the hof?

marv2
12-18-2013, 08:27 PM
I am happy to see that Cat Stevens made it as well as Hall & Oates.

stephanie
12-18-2013, 08:37 PM
Marv,
Im a Cat Stevens fan but i dont know why he should be in the RRHOF. Im SO HAPPY Hall and Oates got in. Not because they have had so many hits but what they also did for Eddie K and David R. I know these two are not perfect but in interviews and other places they have both seemed to be very humble and grateful for their careers. I DO agree with others here on the forum about CHIC now they have done a lot for music and the influence not just Nile and his partner RIP but the Ladies of Chic!!!

marv2
12-18-2013, 08:55 PM
Marv,
Im a Cat Stevens fan but i dont know why he should be in the RRHOF. Im SO HAPPY Hall and Oates got in. Not because they have had so many hits but what they also did for Eddie K and David R. I know these two are not perfect but in interviews and other places they have both seemed to be very humble and grateful for their careers. I DO agree with others here on the forum about CHIC now they have done a lot for music and the influence not just Nile and his partner RIP but the Ladies of Chic!!!

Stephanie, I am just happy that they remember Cat and are honoring him. I liked just about all of his music but it seems to have gone under appreciated over the years. Chic should have been in the Hall a while back now. They were truly innovative and created a sound of an era!

Ngroove
12-18-2013, 09:56 PM
............ I'll call it next year "genre-ist", looks like next year, to those bandwagon rabble-rousers arguing his-name or her-name or their name as not "rock & roll" will find no arguments in an upcoming exclusive "rock & roll" induction lineup. No thank you.

soulster
12-19-2013, 12:03 AM
I DO agree with others here on the forum about CHIC now they have done a lot for music and the influence not just Nile and his partner RIP but the Ladies of Chic!!!
Or the other members of the band Tony Thompson, and Raymond Schwartz, and the three violin players.

soulster
12-19-2013, 12:11 AM
............ I'll call it next year "genre-ist", looks like next year, to those bandwagon rabble-rousers arguing his-name or her-name or their name as not "rock & roll" will find no arguments in an upcoming exclusive "rock & roll" induction lineup. No thank you.
You'll never satisfy the rockists [[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rockism). All they will ever see are the late 60s and 70s hard rock bands. I'm many are as pleased as punch that Kiss and Nirvana are in, while Chic was kept out, and are miffed that Hall & Oates were even considered.

Ngroove
12-19-2013, 11:29 AM
No Motown artists.
Or soul, needs some soul! Because all I see is a buncha Caucasian guys [[and gal), and I don't listen to "rock" anyways! C'mon, at least one - Chic, as everyone said, overdue, as...lessee, it'll be 2014....subtract 25 for qualification year...1989....New Edition / Bobby Brown, Heavy D and the Boyz, Kenneth Babyface Edmonds, Teddy Riley....must we wait til' whoever's still living's old and gray before any of them gets in??? WHAT???, Theodore Pendergrass has never been HOF-ed??? What is wrong you guys??? Oh yeah, Motown names still in need of HOF: Marvelettes, Mary Wells, Junior Walker & the All-Stars, Commodores / Lionel Richie, Johnny Gill, Queen Latifah. And, Rick James....earlier years, I wouldn't blame that they didn't take his name seriously enough - but now, they've got "Kurt Kobain" in.

mark speck
12-26-2013, 12:05 AM
I'm not a Chic fan, but for their impact on disco, I'd put 'em in. They may have a few tries to get in...hell, Solomon Burke took several tries to get in, and so did Gene Pitney, so don't despair!

Best,

Mark