PDA

View Full Version : Motown Unreleased 1963???

test

psychedelic jacques
12-12-2013, 05:25 PM
Here's an interesting article I found whilst searching to find any news of a possible repeat of last year's 1962 mp3 releases:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/12/arts/music/european-copyright-laws-lead-to-rare-music-releases.html?adxnnl=1&rref=arts&hpw=&adxnnlx=1386883116-Jf1J+ocS1bUkZoIcKU8iAQ

It also perhaps goes some way to explaining the thing I found so weird about last years' releases; how they just seemed to 'slip' out without any fanfare or prior announcements. I guess we'll know in the next couple of weeks if there'll be a 1963 series...

RossHolloway
12-12-2013, 05:51 PM
I sent HW an email a few weeks ago asking if there would be a 1963 collection of unreleased material but sadly he never responded...

woodward
12-12-2013, 07:15 PM
Speaking of HW, has ANYONE any knowledge if he is still with Universal? It is surprising that nothing but nothing has come forth to my knowledge from him.

alanh
12-13-2013, 05:17 AM
Thanks for posting the New York Times article Jacques. It'll be interesting to see if any Motown 1963 material becomes available.

I'm not an expert on the law, but I'm not sure that the writer has all the details correct, including the point that material could fall out of copyright that quickly if not used. Here's an extract from the official EU Directive:

`Use-it-or-lose-it`
If, 50 years after its publication, the producer of a sound recording is not making the recording available for sale, both physically and online, in sufficient quantity, a performer who has assigned his or her rights in the recording to the producer may give written notice to the producer that he or she wishes to reclaim their performers` rights in the recording. If, after one year from the date of the notice, the producer has failed to make the recording
available for sale, both physically and online, the performer`s rights will revert to the performer and the producer`s copyright in the recording will expire.

To me the key phrase is 'available for sale, both physically and online, in sufficient quantity'. The article's mention of only 100 copies of the Dylan tracks seems hardly 'in sufficient quantities'! If that system carries on I can see some performers complaining and regaining their rights. It also suggests that, even with the Motown tracks, they have to be made available on CD as well as online.

As I say, I'm no expert on the legalities. It'll be interesting to see what happens in coming months....and we all need to keep a sharp eye out whatever kind of music we like.

alanh
12-13-2013, 03:20 PM
Meanwhile, off Motown but on topic, Apple/The Beatles are already looking after their interests! http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-25364624

aarondillon2011@gmail.com
12-14-2013, 02:05 AM
I see a couple of alternate takes by the Supremes from the Country and Western album and I am assuming You're Gonna Come To Me is from those same sessions :-) Although I would have loved to see those alternate takes included on a remastered Country and Western CD from hip-o I have a feeling that may not happen. So I def will be purchasing those songs.

longtimefan
12-14-2013, 07:24 AM
I see a couple of alternate takes by the Supremes from the Country and Western album and I am assuming You're Gonna Come To Me is from those same sessions :-) Although I would have loved to see those alternate takes included on a remastered Country and Western CD from hip-o I have a feeling that may not happen. So I def will be purchasing those songs.

Where did you see these titles listed?

aarondillon2011@gmail.com
12-14-2013, 07:38 AM
http://www.amazon.com/Motown-Unreleased-1963-Various-artists/dp/B00H7IF0WG/ref=sr_1_1?s=dmusic&ie=UTF8&sr=1-1&keywords=motown+unreleased+1963

honest man
12-14-2013, 08:48 AM
http://www.amazon.com/Motown-Unreleased-1963-Various-artists/dp/B00H7IF0WG/ref=sr_1_1?s=dmusic&ie=UTF8&sr=1-1&keywords=motown+unreleased+1963

OMG CHRISTMASTIME AGAIN,Thanks for the link to songs,looks amazing,cheers.

motony
12-14-2013, 11:00 AM
Brenda Holloway 1963?Don't think that's accurate, not for MOTOWN anyway.

calvin
12-14-2013, 12:06 PM

According to DFTMC, Deep Freeze was "completed before 17 Feb 1964" and Each Little Teardrop was "completed before 14 Feb 1964." Maybe Universal is taking no chances, releasing these now to prevent them from falling into public domain just in case some documents might be found later showing they were recorded in late 1963?

nabob
12-14-2013, 01:02 PM
According to DFTMC, Deep Freeze was "completed before 17 Feb 1964" and Each Little Teardrop was "completed before 14 Feb 1964." Maybe Universal is taking no chances, releasing these now to prevent them from falling into public domain just in case some documents might be found later showing they were recorded in late 1963?This package appears to have some good material. Question: Did Martha & the Vandellas record Keep it Up as early as 1963? The version we know became available on the Watch Out album from 1966. We do know that Jimmy Mack from that album was recorded in 1964. It was not uncommon for material recorded years earlier to surface at a later date.

snakepit
12-14-2013, 02:45 PM
will these be available on CDs?
thanks
snakepit

RossHolloway
12-14-2013, 03:17 PM
It's possible. Both Brenda and Patrice were singed sometime in 1963, a couple weeks ago someone posted a newspaper announcement from November 1963 stating Motown had opened a West Coast office and the Holloway sisters and a Canadian artist had been signed. Patrice's first single was scheduled for release at the end of that year and is included in TCMS 1963.

keith_hughes
12-14-2013, 04:15 PM
No session information for Motown tracks recorded on the West Coast in the 60s has been preserved, but in nearly all cases the tapes were sent to Detroit for mixing. A closer analysis of the information available than was carried out for the last edition of DFTMC has revealed that "Each Little Teardrop" was mixed by the end of October 1963, and "Deep Freeze" by the end of December. "Each Little Teardrop" appears to have been the very first Motown track by Brenda to have been mixed.

"Keep It Up" is an early version of the song; the version on Watch Out was a complete re-make.

radionixon
12-14-2013, 06:54 PM
December 17th, eh? Is this going to be available in the UK before Christmas? There's no sign of it on the British versions of either iTunes or Amazon.

radionixon
12-14-2013, 06:58 PM
Ooh, just looking at this track list now...! "The Night We Called It A Day" completes the Tops' Breaking Through set. The Contours doing Andre Williams' "Shoo-Doo". LOTS of Marvin Gaye. Some new Freddie Gorman. Practically a whole album's worth of LaBrenda Ben.

AWESOME.

RossHolloway
12-14-2013, 10:25 PM
Speaking of Labrenda Ben......Is this list [[from DFTMC) the complete list of her Motown tracks?

Bad News

Camel Walk

Chaperone, The

Congratulations

Do You Know What I'm Talking About

Fugitive

I Can't Help It, I Gotta Dance

In Twenty Words Or Less

It's All Over You

Just Be Yourself
Plus the songs: I Don't Want Your Promises, Even if You Don't Mean It, Better Unsaid, and Let Them

Roger Polhill
12-15-2013, 03:51 PM
Radio nixon when was "I Can`t Get You Out Of My Mind" released.

radionixon
12-16-2013, 02:02 AM
Radio nixon when was "I Can`t Get You Out Of My Mind" released.

It wasn't, but does it actually exist? Without looking, I thought the last time this came up here, it was stated the Lost & Found CD contained all the surviving/completed "lost album" tracks bar The Night We Called It A Day, which was left off because it was a markedly lower quality take than the other tracks used on the CD.

Off the top of my head, nobody's ever seen or heard an acetate of I Can't Get You Out Of My Mind; if it survived in any kind of listenable form, I'm sure it would have turned up on either the 1962 or 1963 download-only sets, given last year's releases seemed to have a pretty low quality threshold when it came to what was releaseable [[e.g. one of the tracks being overlaid with 15 seconds of a random Contours B-side) - I'm not complaining, I love love love that Motown are throwing their cupboards open like this, I just mean that if a tape of ICGYOOMM had been found since the last time we were told there wasn't one, then I'm convinced it'd be on here too.

RossHolloway
12-16-2013, 10:39 PM
The sound clip are up, but I haven't been able to play any of them. Anyone else have better luck?

johnny_raven
12-17-2013, 01:56 AM
It says that the Marvin Gaye track "Mojo Hannah" is an alternate version, but I only recall a live version from his 1963 live album. Has another studio version been released previously? Also, the Contours "Do The See Saw" has already been released on their Ace/Kent comp, so would this be an alternate version?

Buttered Popcorn and so forth
12-17-2013, 02:33 AM
I just bought the two Brenda Holloway songs, "Each Little Teardrop" and "Deep Freeze." They both remind me "Heat Wave" by Martha & The Vandellas--I love it!

wedgeville
12-17-2013, 06:37 AM
Some great tracks here. However, I have only been able to hear the sound clips on Amason.com, and can't download the tracks as I am in the UK. Anyone know if these are being issued in the UK? If not how do we get them?

Wayne

grapevine
12-17-2013, 06:52 AM
http://tinyurl.com/nqv7lbt

...why oh why aren't these issued on CD..???

:)

radionixon
12-17-2013, 08:32 AM

There probably isn't the demand, from distributors, retailers or even the public. If absolutely everyone posting here bought it, you're realistically talking, what, a couple of thousand copies sold, tops? I doubt they'd make the money back on a full print run, and UMe aren't really geared up [[down?) to do small print runs of budget albums, especially when capacity is being taken up by big commercial releases near Christmas!

Download-only is the way to go for super-interesting but super-niche projects like this, especially if the aim is indeed just to preserve copyright; it's a cheap way to do it, there are virtually no ongoing costs once it's available to buy, and thus almost no risks. I never really listen to CDs now anyway - I like buying them for the liner notes, artwork etc., but I've got shelves and cupboards heaving with CDs which have only ever been played once [[to rip them to digital).

RossHolloway
12-17-2013, 02:39 PM
Is anyone else hearing the Supreme's singing background vocals on No Longer A Rebel by R Dean Taylor?

mowsville
12-17-2013, 02:50 PM
I was thinking the same RossHolloway...im chomping at the bit here in the U.K..this set would have made a great 5th instalment of the " cellerfull " series...does it really matter if all the tunes are from the same year...I think not :-)

RossHolloway
12-17-2013, 02:59 PM
@mowsville- I also think the Temps are on background on Stevie Wonder's Blowin In The Wind and Just My Speed.

This has been a great early Christmas gift. LaBrenda Ben's cuts have been quite the revelation!

RossHolloway
12-17-2013, 03:18 PM
It says that the Marvin Gaye track "Mojo Hannah" is an alternate version, but I only recall a live version from his 1963 live album. Has another studio version been released previously? Also, the Contours "Do The See Saw" has already been released on their Ace/Kent comp, so would this be an alternate version?

DFTMC list only the live version by MG, but no studio version is listed. It also sounds like Martha & The Vandellas are on background.

jboy88
12-17-2013, 06:17 PM
The "Use it or Lose It" law might be why they discontinued the Cellerful of Motown sets, Considering the vaults would be annually liquidated anyway.
The '63 edition is must better than last year as far as quality of tapes and material. Quite a few treasures were left on the cutting room floor.

radionixon
12-17-2013, 09:29 PM
The "Use it or Lose It" law might be why they discontinued the Cellerful of Motown sets, Considering the vaults would be annually liquidated anyway.
The '63 edition is must better than last year as far as quality of tapes and material. Quite a few treasures were left on the cutting room floor.

Has the Cellarful series been discontinued?! It's been 3 years since Volume 4, but that's not really an unusual gap between volumes.

I'd initially assumed the stockpile of unreleased stuff was starting to run low, given that while it's still excellent, I think Cellarful 4 is the least consistently strong of the four volumes - but then the staggering amount of material that we've had on CD releases since [[off the top of my head, the Ace/Kent anthologies - Marv Johnson, the Spinners, Eddie Holland, the Monitors, the Satintones, the Contours, The Artistry of Brenda Holloway, the Patrice Holloway CD, the Motown Girls set - plus the Mary Wells Lost & Found and the Vandellas and Tops 50th Anniversary boxes) proves that theory wrong!

I got the feeling the 1962 sets were comprehensive exercises in shelf-clearing, a complete set of everything even passable quality still unreleased from that year, and that there wouldn't any more known, finished 1962 recordings still to surface [[pending discovery of any more treasures!) I'd be very interested to know if that's correct, and [[if so) whether this new Unreleased 1963 set is intended to be similarly comprehensive, i.e. getting everything of passable quality out there to secure the copyright?

jboy88
12-17-2013, 10:05 PM
It was never confirmed to be ended, but this is the impression i got from last year! Surely Harry or Keith could give more accurate insight.

honest man
12-18-2013, 06:26 AM
Aahhhhhhhhhhhhh so frustrating will not purchase to uk,anyone help me out please............................................ ......................

wedgeville
12-18-2013, 07:18 AM
According to another site, Harry has stated that it will be available in the UK soon. How soon I am not sure...

Wayne

grapevine
12-18-2013, 09:26 AM
...and maybe they'll be reduced to under half-price to UK fans ...as TCMS12b has been recently ...on Amazon UK ...!

danman869
12-18-2013, 10:34 AM
I picked up the entire 1963 MP3 set on 7Digital.com for $19.99. Plus, they were available at 320kbps. My only quibble is that there is no [[digital) booklet. Other than for the alternate versions, we have no songwriter, producer, or recording dates info. Last I'd checked, DFTMC.info hadn't yet been updated to include these tracks [[beyond "acetate" in some cases--and they don't have recording dates listed). It didn't have to be fancy--it could have been the info typed out and converted to a PDF file that would be downloaded if you bought the entire the set. Hopefully this will be remedied with future releases!

honest man
12-18-2013, 03:40 PM
I picked up the entire 1963 MP3 set on 7Digital.com for $19.99. Plus, they were available at 320kbps. My only quibble is that there is no [[digital) booklet. Other than for the alternate versions, we have no songwriter, producer, or recording dates info. Last I'd checked, DFTMC.info hadn't yet been updated to include these tracks [[beyond "acetate" in some cases--and they don't have recording dates listed). It didn't have to be fancy--it could have been the info typed out and converted to a PDF file that would be downloaded if you bought the entire the set. Hopefully this will be remedied with future releases!

No Good i cannot locate. only 1962 there[is digital7 an American site maybe] this is so frustrating,Thanks anyway.maybenot xmas after all.

booty
12-18-2013, 04:48 PM
They are up on the us7digital.com site only and not the 7digital.com [[UK site) yet!

MrTopCat
12-18-2013, 05:58 PM

Those releases are only being done to keep the songs from the public domain. That's why a CD release won't happen. At least we're getting something no matter what the reason is ;)

762rob
12-18-2013, 06:02 PM
Those releases are only being done to keep the songs from the public domain. That's why a CD release won't happen. At least we're getting something no matter what the reason is ;)

You must download, and then burn your own CD as I do.

honest man
12-19-2013, 08:26 AM
not looking good for UK buyers, gutted.

alanh
12-19-2013, 12:23 PM
I'm sure we'll get them, honest man. We had the Unreleased 1962 sets and don't forget that it's the EU Copyright changes that have resulted in their appearance in the first place. Mondays are official new release days in the UK, so fingers crossed for next Monday, or the next, or... Don't give up hope!

144man
12-21-2013, 06:42 PM
I'm looking forward to hearing Freddie Gorman's "I'm Gonna Make It to the Top" as it's one of the few Holland-Dozier-Holland songs that's never been out before.

booty
12-23-2013, 05:02 AM
Still nothing showing on amazon.co.uk so it has missed this Monday for release in the UK. Maybe we will see the set in the New Year.

MrTopCat
12-24-2013, 02:58 AM
Ladies & gentlemen, the set is on Spotify. YAY! :p

booty
12-24-2013, 03:13 AM
Not on the UK Spotify - "Motown Unreleased 1963" still draws a blank!

jack020
12-24-2013, 03:22 AM
it is on the Dutch spotify!

mowsville
12-24-2013, 12:05 PM
how do you get on the Dutch Spotify?

mr_postman
12-24-2013, 07:21 PM
I live in Sweden and it's available from my Spotify account too.

Jaap
12-27-2013, 07:47 PM
It's now in the Dutch I-tunes store for download.

RossHolloway
01-02-2014, 04:43 PM
So what are some of the favorite tracks from this collection?

theboyfromxtown
01-02-2014, 05:38 PM
The ones I have on repeat are those where the Supremes are performing background vocals.

radionixon
01-02-2014, 06:42 PM
Where's the British release, then?

Really, really poor effort, UME.

snakepit
01-02-2014, 07:05 PM
is it on i-tunes?

radionixon
01-02-2014, 07:11 PM
Only the US store, which UK users are free to browse but not to buy from. Despite it being a digital only release [[and yet divided into "Disc 1" and "Disc 2", what's that about? But I digress).

But hey, who ever heard of British fans wanting to buy rare Motown records, right? [[SUBS PLEASE CHECK)

snakepit
01-02-2014, 07:31 PM
Seems strange.....we MUST be the biggest market for such a release.
If anybody knows how we can access this in the UK please give details
[[I'm after CD-r copy actually)

Roger Polhill
01-02-2014, 08:30 PM
I have just obtained it from 7digital NZ. So i guess that it will be available in the UK shortly.

RossHolloway
01-02-2014, 08:42 PM
is it on i-tunes?
In the US it is up on iTunes.

radionixon
01-02-2014, 09:54 PM
In the US it is up on iTunes.

But not available to buy, if you're not in the USA. Same with 7digital, Amazon etc. Even Spotify.

It's not even a question of not wanting to buy imports - I'm British, I've spent my entire life buying American records you just can't get over here. This is different; as a digital-only release, there's literally no way I can legitimately buy a copy from a US online site without a US credit card and a US residential address.

[[Non-legitimately, it's theoretically possible to spoof the US iTunes store into letting you buy such things by setting up a fake account with a fake American street address, and then getting hold of an American iTunes gift card either from a Stateside friend or by running the gauntlet on auction sites, thus avoiding the need for an American credit card, but I frankly can't be bothered to jump through shady grey-market hoops just to try and give Universal my money. Especially when I see this next part.)

So, it's apparently available in some really random markets now, including European ones - but not several major ones. A random sampling of 7digital sites shows I could quite happily buy a copy if I was in a priority international territory like Holland, New Zealand, Austria, Portugal, Switzerland or Finland [[as well as Italy and Spain). However, if you're in the UK, France or Germany, the three European markets which historically buy the most records and also the most Motown records, BZZZT, you're out of luck.

I can only assume it's a licensing SNAFU on someone's part.

justanothermotownfan
01-02-2014, 11:43 PM
So what are some of the favorite tracks from this collection?

I LOVE the LaBrenda Ben tracks, particularly Even If You Don't Mean It. Not only does she sound like Kim Weston a little bit but her vocal range is AMAZING on that ballad.

calvin
01-03-2014, 10:20 AM
Radionixon, I share your frustration. I guess these will be made available in the UK eventually but do we know for sure?

This country-specific availability of digital downloads is indeed an annoyance. And hey, isn't the EU supposed to be a single market? How can Universal/7Digital block us from buying it from a company in the Netherlands?

I'm a cd buyer except when it's not an alternative [[as in this case) or in a few rare cases where the cd is out of print and used ones are ridiculously expensive. Some time ago I suggested that Universal should make some of their old cd titles - especially ones they have no plans to release again - available as downloads, just using the digital mastering from the old cd release. This should be easy to do and would give customers the option to buy the download from Universal rather than paying up for a used cd. A few months later [[maybe a coincidence) two of the titles I wanted - "What Love Has Joined Together" from Smokey & The Miracles and The Tempt's "Solid Rock" - did appear as mp3 downloads in the US [[on Amazon.com), but NOT IN THE UK.

RossHolloway
01-03-2014, 10:31 AM
Doesn't this happen EVERY TIME a release is done in the US and there is some lag time in England/Europe? And this has happened when there is an English release of certain titles and there is a lag time with folks in the US receiving the releases. WE should all know by now to take a deep breath and know that you will eventually get this release.

RossHolloway
01-03-2014, 10:37 AM
I LOVE the LaBrenda Ben tracks, particularly Even If You Don't Mean It. Not only does she sound like Kim Weston a little bit but her vocal range is AMAZING on that ballad.

Justanothermotownfan- I think Even if You Don't Mean It is THE absolute revelation on this collection. LaBrenda's tracks are the stand out on this collection. I was most looking forward to the two Brenda Holloway tracks and they don't disappoint, I'm sure these are probably two of the very first songs that she recorded for Motown out in California and provides a small window back to that time.

booty
01-03-2014, 02:27 PM
I got this a couple of weeks back from the US iTunes site. I am based in the UK and regularly use the US site as they have more available. As Radio Nixon said, I set up a dummy US address [[some hotel in New York) and then purchase US gift cards from a couple of internet sites as and when required. Never had a problem sourcing any tracks from iTunes this way.

RossHolloway
01-03-2014, 03:22 PM
I got this a couple of weeks back from the US iTunes site. I am based in the UK and regularly use the US site as they have more available. As Radio Nixon said, I set up a dummy US address [[some hotel in New York) and then purchase US gift cards from a couple of internet sites as and when required. Never had a problem sourcing any tracks from iTunes this way.

Smart Booty :)

144man
01-08-2014, 12:30 AM
Any news yet on when this will be available for legitimate download in the UK?

Roger Polhill
01-09-2014, 05:29 PM
I have mine on CD now and after a few listens I`m very, very happy with it. My favourite so far is Marvin`s "Do You Wanna Go With Me". I like the way Stevie`s "Don`t Hesitate To Cry" morphed into Marvin`s "It`s Got To Be Love" from his box set.The earlier versions are all good and I`m really fizzing at the thought of 1964.
I feel that there ought to be further tracks from this time i.e. Liz Lands, Hattie Littles and Sammy Turner. There must be more of this vintage from Marvin, Stevie and the Miracles.

RossHolloway
01-10-2014, 06:08 PM
Is anyone else hearing the Temptations on background to Stevie's Blowing in the Wind and Just My Speed?

snakepit
01-10-2014, 06:13 PM
UK issue ?
Anybody from UMG?

radionixon
01-14-2014, 04:10 AM
*drums fingers impatiently*

wedgeville
01-14-2014, 07:30 AM
It wouldn't be as bad if someone would just give us a clue to when this is likely to be available in the UK. Surely a hint from UMG?

calvin
01-19-2014, 07:53 AM
Here it is, UK fans:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Motown-Unreleased-1963-Various-artists/dp/B00HXLKPJK/ref=sr_1_5?s=dmusic&ie=UTF8&sr=1-5&keywords=motown+unreleased

I don't see it yet on 7digital, last time they had a 320 kbps bitrate [[constant) vs 256 from Amazon [[probably encoded as 256 variable, so possibly even less) , for the same price. But I don't see the bitrate for the Amazon downloads here...

radionixon
01-19-2014, 07:59 AM
Hallelujah! Thanks Calvin.

radionixon
01-19-2014, 02:23 PM
Well, this was worth the wait. So far, LaBrenda and Freddie are stealing the show, but on preliminary listens my favourite track [[as might be predicted) is Martha and the Vandellas' weird early version of Keep It Up, which brings out all the strange and scary and lovely things that were just out of reach on the Watchout! version.

alanh
01-19-2014, 02:56 PM
Thanks Calvin! At last. It's on Google Play at 320 kbps bitrate and 50p cheaper than Amazon if anyone's interested in the higher quality [[but still not on 7 digital). I suppose you could say that everything comes to those who wait, but it has been frustrating as well as perplexing as to why it took an international company of Universal's stature so long.

calvin
01-19-2014, 04:48 PM
Thanks Alan for the heads up on Google Play, I just bought it there.

Well the wait for this wasn't too bad, a bit more than a month. But given these country-specific restrictions on purchases, I don't understand why they don't just make everything available in other markets. I've noticed that even some Hip-O releases which sold out long ago are available as downloads in the US but not in the UK [[Teena Marie's "Wild and Peaceful" being an example). I don't care about these because I have them on cd, but I don't understand it. Technically it should be super easy and cheap to make the downloads available for purchase here, so why don't they? Is it for a legal reason or is it just an oversight? Universal must miss some sales by not doing this.

I also see that Smokey Robinson & The Miracles "What Love Has Joined Together" and The Temptations "Solid Rock" are offered as downloads in the US but not here in the UK. These are two that I would buy, if I could. [[I'd prefer to have them in cd-quality, but used copies go for around £100 which is simply way too much for me.)

alanh
01-19-2014, 04:59 PM
I've started looking at and using Google Play recently. All files are at 320 kbs and there are often some keen prices, plus great special bargains. Currently there are/have been some superb albums like the Isley's '3+3' and Sly's 'Stand' at £1.99 each.

mr_postman
01-24-2014, 06:14 AM
It's on 7digital now, in 320 kbps. http://www.7digital.com/artist/various-artists/release/motown-unreleased-1963

RossHolloway
01-24-2014, 10:37 AM
Well, this was worth the wait. So far, LaBrenda and Freddie are stealing the show, but on preliminary listens my favourite track [[as might be predicted) is Martha and the Vandellas' weird early version of Keep It Up, which brings out all the strange and scary and lovely things that were just out of reach on the Watchout! version.

LaBrenda was definitely my revelation on this set. One can't help but wonder what happened to her career at Motown. Seems like the company had more talent then they knew what to do with.

alanh
01-24-2014, 12:51 PM
Yep, I agree. The LaBrenda tracks are indeed the killers. Can anyone shed any light on her, what happened to her, why she didn't stay with Motown etc? I also like Stevie's 'I'm Checking Out', Marvin's 'Do You Wanna To Go With Me' and his great take on 'They Didn't Believe Me'. There are other goodies too. I've never particularly been into everything from Motown in this transitional period, but you can hear 'the sound' taking shape and the whole set is a fascinating listen. Yet again one can ask......why were some of these never released?!

berry101
01-25-2014, 08:36 AM
Labrenda Ben 4 me. I kept checking my player as she sounds so close to Kim Weston [[ well my ears ). Yes , what happened to her etc ?

carole cucumber
02-14-2014, 09:02 PM
A question for the boyfromxtown:

Whose voice are you hearing on "I Don't Want Your Promises"?
To my ears, the lead voice sounds more like Patrice Holloway than Labrenda Ben- especially when compared to the other Labrenda Ben tracks on 1963.

honest man
03-12-2014, 11:44 AM
LaBrenda ben sound so much like Kim Weston,wonder if that was the reason she was gone early on in Motown Oblivion,kind of JJ Barnes -Marvin set up,just a thought.

markdtiller
03-12-2014, 04:45 PM
The ones I have on repeat are those where the Supremes are performing background vocals.

On what tracks are you hearing them? Are the 3 Supremes tracks really alternates?

144man
03-13-2014, 02:32 PM
Shame there's no info on producers etc. I suppose we'll have to wait for the update to DFTMC.

Cadeho
04-09-2014, 11:47 PM
I got mine from Amazon last Friday. For some reason, this feels incomplete... there's got to be more unreleased stuff from 1963. I thought I read Liz Lands had an album's worth of unreleased tracks. Other lesser known acts must have had recordings too during this time.

Anyone know is everything from 1959-1961 has been cleared?

Roger Polhill
04-10-2014, 01:35 AM
There has to more Cadeho, Sammy Turner, Hattie Littles, Sammy Ward, Mickie McCullers,Bruce Channel, Choker Campbell, Mike & the Modifiers, Johnnie Powers, Anita Knorl and Gino Parks to name a few.Plus more from the bigger names.

Cadeho
04-10-2014, 05:01 PM
There has to more Cadeho, Sammy Turner, Hattie Littles, Sammy Ward, Mickie McCullers,Bruce Channel, Choker Campbell, Mike & the Modifiers, Johnnie Powers, Anita Knorl and Gino Parks to name a few.Plus more from the bigger names.

Does this mean those songs are in public domain? Why weren't they released? Are they waiting to include them on Ace/Kent or Cellarful compilations? I am sure there are several country songs left too. I so want to hear everything!

alanh
04-11-2014, 11:55 AM
In the EU all music from 1962 and prior is public domain and as I understand it anything unreleased from 1963 is also public domain. If any of the music by those artistes [[especially if it is unreleased) is public domain, the task is to get hold of it. Obviously Universal could dig into the archives if they wanted to or Ace could request tracks from Universal for the masters. The other 'public domain labels' would have to source them another way.

144man
05-14-2014, 07:19 PM
Is the only way to find out who the producers are to wait for the next edition of "Don't Forget the Motorcity"?

keith_hughes
05-15-2014, 04:40 AM
I am trying to get clearance from UMG to post the complete annos on DFTMC as a "Special Feature". Alternatively to get UMG to post them on some site of their own. They were done as part of the original package, I expected them to appear with the trax as a PDF download [[as "Funny Girl").

The next complete edition of DFTMC will not appear until next year.

144man
05-16-2014, 06:14 PM
I hope UMG agree to that. Running supplements between complete editions seems like a good idea.

markdtiller
06-15-2014, 11:49 AM
Is anyone else hearing the Supreme's singing background vocals on No Longer A Rebel by R Dean Taylor? Yes definitely, also sounds like them on the other R Dean Taylor track "Respectable Distance Away". Can you hear them elsewhere?

longtimefan
06-15-2014, 01:08 PM
Will there be an UNRELEASED 1964?

keith_hughes
11-16-2014, 06:07 PM
Recording details for "Motown Unreleased 1963" are now available on the DFTMC site ... you can get there from "Bonus Tracks" at the bottom of the home page.

Roger Polhill
11-16-2014, 07:04 PM
Many thanks Keith. And now to work!

Roger Polhill
11-16-2014, 09:42 PM
Keith, with the Supremes track "You`re Gonna Come To Me" you have noted that it is
Version 3 recorded 28.2.63. and previously unreleased when in fact version 3 was included on the expanded "Where Did Our Love Go" with a release date of 25.11.63.
Version 1 is 15.6.61.
Version 2 is 15.8.61.
Does that mean that the "WDOLG" track is actually version 4? I hope that this all makes sense.

robb_k
11-16-2014, 11:27 PM
I have mine on CD now and after a few listens I`m very, very happy with it. My favourite so far is Marvin`s "Do You Wanna Go With Me". I like the way Stevie`s "Don`t Hesitate To Cry" morphed into Marvin`s "It`s Got To Be Love" from his box set.The earlier versions are all good and I`m really fizzing at the thought of 1964.
I feel that there ought to be further tracks from this time i.e. Liz Lands, Hattie Littles and Sammy Turner. There must be more of this vintage from Marvin, Stevie and the Miracles.
And The Creations, Serenaders, Versatones, Downbeats, Five Quails, Steve Mancha [[as himself - Clyde Wilson), Edward Earling, Linda Griner, Kim Weston, Clarence Paul, Danny Day [[Hal Davis), Mickey McCullers, etc,

robb_k
11-16-2014, 11:35 PM
Did Anita Knorl have an Artist's Contract with Motown, or was she just a demo singer? I suspect the latter. If so, Motown can't release her recordings [[like several songs I'd like released by The Serenaders, Parliaments, Carol Moore, Norma Jenkins and others.

Roger Polhill
11-16-2014, 11:47 PM
Let`s just hope that if there is to be a "1964 Motown Unreleased" that all those artists will get a taste of the action. I haven`t had the pleasure of hearing Clyde Wilson and Edward Earling.

robb_k
11-17-2014, 12:21 AM

Duplicate post..

robb_k
11-17-2014, 12:57 AM
Let`s just hope that if there is to be a "1964 Motown Unreleased" that all those artists will get a taste of the action. I haven`t had the pleasure of hearing Clyde Wilson and Edward Earling.
I had heard that 1963 would be the last year that would apply to the 50 year law. If so, there will be no 1964 Motown unreleased.

You've heard Clyde Wilson as Steve Mancha [[on Groovesville and Wheelsville USA Records). I've not heard any of his Motown cuts. But, I remember him saying that he recorded a few songs while with Motown. I did see that he got some songwriting credits on a couple of 1963 and 1964 Tamla records.

Edward Earling had a good voice. He sang several mid-tempo cuts, similar in style to some 1963 songs sung by Eddie Holland and Marv Johnson. I've head about 5 of them. They were all good [[not fantastic-but good sounding). They sounded like Holland-Dozier-Gorman and Bateman-Holland-Gorman and Bateman-Stevenson style written songs. Nothing great, but decent typical Motown from that period.

robb_k
11-17-2014, 02:01 AM

I listened to the snippets. Wow! That Sammy Ward cut is REAL Blues. with a fantastic Blues guitar solo. That's the first real Blues I've heard on Motown [[other than "Devil With The Blue Dress" by Shorty Long. Everything else by Sammy Ward, Mable John, LaBrenda Ben, and the other songs on "Switched on Blues" were just Bluesy R&B -not standard Blues chord progression.

The other songs I liked were 2 fast, but sweet Freddie Gorman songs, one fast one by LaBrenda Ben and one Brenda Holloway song. Not a lot of high quality. But, not only are none of the Edward Earling songs there, but, also a Versatones' cut that hasn't been released on CD, and some others. This is NOT ALL the 1963 Motown cuts that have not yet been released.

Roger Polhill
11-17-2014, 04:11 AM
Robb are you saying that there is another unreleased 1963 download coming up or is it a new release from Ace?

robb_k
11-17-2014, 05:51 AM
No other release that I know of -just not everything I've seen or heard being released.

keith_hughes
11-17-2014, 05:58 AM
Roger: "You're Gonna Come To Me" -
v1 rec 15/8/61 released on Let The Music Play
v2 rec 10/12/61 also released on LTMP
v3 rec 28/2/63 Motown Unreleased 1963
v4 rec 25/11/63 WDOLG

- and, as far as I'm aware - That's All Folks!

Robb: Anita Knorl must have had a contract, or we wouldn't have been allowed to put "If WIshes Came True" on the Ace "Finders Keepers" CD.

motownjohnny
11-17-2014, 06:00 AM
Am I right in thinking there must be lots of band tracks recorded to which no lyrics were written so no vocals recorded? If there are, could the best of these not be released at some point as a tribute to the musicians?

radionixon
11-17-2014, 08:07 AM
Recording details for "Motown Unreleased 1963" are now available on the DFTMC site ... you can get there from "Bonus Tracks" at the bottom of the home page.

Great work as always, Keith. Thanks so much for providing this information.

calvin
11-17-2014, 08:28 AM
I had heard that 1963 would be the last year that would apply to the 50 year law. If so, there will be no 1964 Motown unreleased.

Recordings first released in 1963 or later are protected by copyright in the EU for 70 years from the date of first release [[as opposed to recordings first released in 1962 or earlier, which got 50 years). But if a recording is not released within 50 years, the copyright in the EU expires. That's why we got Motown Unreleased 1963 last year. If Universal has unreleased tracks from 1964 that they don't want to go into the public domain, they have to release them this year.

A brief summary of the current copyright directive:
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/copyright-in-sound-recordings/copyright-in-sound-recordings

Full details can be found here:
http://ec.europa.eu/internal_market/copyright/term-protection/index_en.htm

keith_hughes
11-17-2014, 08:12 PM
I think you have it exactly right, Calvin. So let's hope there'll be a new page on DFTMC for 1964 Unreleaseds soon ... !

Roger Polhill
11-17-2014, 08:51 PM
Roger: "You're Gonna Come To Me" -
v1 rec 15/8/61 released on Let The Music Play
v2 rec 10/12/61 also released on LTMP
v3 rec 28/2/63 Motown Unreleased 1963
v4 rec 25/11/63 WDOLG

- and, as far as I'm aware - That's All Folks!

Robb: Anita Knorl must have had a contract, or we wouldn't have been allowed to put "If WIshes Came True" on the Ace "Finders Keepers" CD.

Many thanks Keith it`s just that "WDOLG" claimed that it contained version 3.
Re Anita Knorl, I believe that there is an unreleased track called "Don`t Be Too Long" from 1962.If so would it be the Berry Gordy song that Chris Clark recorded?

robb_k
11-18-2014, 02:13 AM
I think you have it exactly right, Calvin. So let's hope there'll be a new page on DFTMC for 1964 Unreleaseds soon ... !
Given THAT fact, there certainly WILL be one. That's good news.

robb_k
11-18-2014, 02:15 AM
Many thanks Keith it`s just that "WDOLG" claimed that it contained version 3.
Re Anita Knorl, I believe that there is an unreleased track called "Don`t Be Too Long" from 1962.If so would it be the Berry Gordy song that Chris Clark recorded?
Wow! I'd certainly like to hear that recording. I think there's a very good chance that's the same song that Chris Clark recorded. It has a "1962 feel" to it in that mid-tempo pacing that Motown was developing that year.

keith_hughes
11-18-2014, 06:08 AM
Don't Be Too Long: DFTMC shows they are the same song, Roger. Chris Clark's version is just a 1965 vocal overdub onto Anita's 1962 track.

Roger Polhill
11-18-2014, 06:00 PM
Thanks for that Keith. Now with Chris Clark, I found a list of 0ver 60 unreleased songs by the lady. Do you know if they exist or have we had all that she recorded for Motown?
Can you give us a hint of a future Ace release as Christmas is looking rather bleak this year with nothing in the pipeline?

Lulu
11-18-2014, 06:02 PM
Thanks for that Keith. Now with Chris Clark, I found a list of 0ver 60 unreleased songs by the lady. Do you know if they exist or have we had all that she recorded for Motown?
Can you give us a hint of a future Ace release as Christmas is looking rather bleak this year with nothing in the pipeline?

This probably isn't news to you but Spectrum/Tamla released a 2 disc Anthology on Chris a few years back. You can get it via Amazon third party vendors for a bargain. It's quite a collection and all the Chris I need so I'd recommend picking it up if you haven't already!

Roger Polhill
11-18-2014, 06:18 PM
Thanks Lulu, I have the Chris Clark disc that you mention. This list that I found are all titles that have not appeared yet. Here are some of them:
"Check Yourself", "Don`t Look Back", "I Hope You Have Better Luck Than I Do", "My Daddy Knows Best" and "What Does It Take To Win Your Love" these are some of the tunes that we know from Motown artists. Others are "Then Was Then", World Without You" and "Through The Tears"

144man
11-20-2014, 10:55 AM
I don't think the last three titles appear in the Jobete catalogue.

Roger Polhill
11-20-2014, 04:27 PM
I don't think the last three titles appear in the Jobete catalogue.
They probably don`t but are are part of the list that Chris Clark supposedly recorded along with "Sunny" and "Joey"

RossHolloway
12-10-2014, 01:33 PM
Any news/update for Unreleased 1964? It's been around this time in December the last two years that they were announced. My fingers are crossed that we get Unreleased Motown 1964.