PDA

View Full Version : motown musical

test

daviddh
12-06-2013, 11:31 PM
hello SDF, I went to see the Motown Musical in new York this week, not sure if there was a thread on this but I didn't see one so here I am. sorry if I missed it. first I want to say that I enjoyed it a lot. it was a great show with many magical performances. I thought the guy portraying Marvin and the little guy playing Michael were great . there was music for every artists , which I thought was fair but there was one thing I didn't like. the supremes songs were cut up into medleys or half songs. WHERE DID OUR LOVE GO and STOP was only 2 minutes and a verse of Love is here and The Happening. I think they did half of Symphony. overall [[imo) none of the supremes segments were standouts....and drew no applause unlike the Marvin,J5 segments. the Contours Do You Love Me Was highlight. I think they tried to put in to many supremes songs and for me it doesn't come off well.i would have preferred using full songs and cutting some of the medleys. just my opinion. I plan on seeing it again.

milven
12-07-2013, 09:29 AM
I saw the show twice and enjoyed it each time. They tried to put as much of Motown's rich history into it as possible. The Supremes were probably the biggest part of that history and were represented well in the musical. But if they were to sing full songs of all their hits, the curtain would have come down even later than the unusually late 11 o'clock. There are plenty if tribute acts out there that sing full versions of the Supremes songs.

Last night, Nominations for the 56th Annual GRAMMY Awards were announced by The Recording Academy. Among the nominees for Best Musical Theatre Album were KINKY BOOTS, MATILDA: THE MUSICAL and MOTOWN THE MUSICAL!

REDHOT
12-07-2013, 04:26 PM
I hear Natalie Cole got 2 or 3 nominations for her latest cd,WOW