PDA

View Full Version : DOGS ARE WAITING. Literally.

test

Methuselah2
11-26-2013, 09:29 PM
It's very impressive--and intimidating--at the same time. At least to me. Obviously, the dogs can handle it--but the sound of a 'wait' command said like that would stop me dead in my tracks . . . from fear. However, the dogs don't seem frightened, just remarkably obedient. Perhaps the command needs to be said so strongly in order to get its meaning across. I would guess it's a difficult command because the dog is asked to do nothing--nothing in that no physical action is required. But, actually, a whole lot is being asked of the dog.

Thank you to Srinivasa Kumar Gullapalli for posting this fascinating video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgKASmf1ShM

[[Now when I hear 'wait', I freeze!)

blueskies
11-26-2013, 10:42 PM
Wonderful training! Rotties are usually pretty easy to train. Consistency! Thanks for posting. Makes me miss my Maax so much. How It Is with Us, and How It Is with Themby Mary Oliver [[http://writersalmanac.publicradio.org/author.php?auth_id=1234)
We become religious,
then we turn from it,
then we are in need and maybe we turn back.
We turn to making money,
then we turn to the moral life,
then we think about money again.
We meet wonderful people, but lose them
in our busyness.
We're, as the saying goes, all over the place.
Steadfastness, it seems,
is more about dogs than about us.
One of the reasons we love them so much.

Methuselah2
11-26-2013, 11:55 PM
Blueskies - So glad you enjoyed the video. And all those dogs at once! Like you say, consistency must be the key to it all. I've watched it again a few times and the guy doesn't seem as harsh as he first struck me--just forceful as is, no doubt, needed. Dogs just never fail to amaze me. [[Those beautiful Rottweilers sure steal the scene here.) Thank you for the wonderful Mary Oliver writing. In just a few words, she zeroed in on so many things. Perfectly.

Soul Sister
11-27-2013, 02:56 PM
Wait or Stay can also save a dog's life in crossing the street or chasing another animal.

S.S.

Methuselah2
11-27-2013, 09:49 PM
That's an excellent point, Soul Sister. Really important. Thank you for bringing it up.