PDA

View Full Version : Question about "Here Comes The Judge"

test

mowest
11-26-2013, 02:42 PM
Who is the voice of the "judge" on this great tune? Shorty Long? One of The Originals? Someone else?

reese
11-26-2013, 02:44 PM
I think it is Sammy Davis, Jr.

mowest
11-26-2013, 03:33 PM
I think it is Sammy Davis, Jr.

You're absolutely right and thank you, reese. I just dug out my copy of Terry Wilson's book "Tamla Motown." He states that Sammy Davis, Jr. "...was invited to the session to supply the intermittently heard voice of the judge..."

By the way, here's an excellent, extended version created by our friend "mosogotam:"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HG9vuOYIVPs

theboyfromxtown
11-26-2013, 04:49 PM
Reese

I thought it was only Sammy Davis on the "Hear yea Hear yea...." but the sentencing judge [[much later) is the late Pervis Jackson of the Spinners.

SDF has discussed this many times over the years and it will should be in the old archives.

midnight johnny
11-26-2013, 05:03 PM
mowest....thanks so much for the plug! I appreciate it!
John

reese
11-26-2013, 05:17 PM
Reese

I thought it was only Sammy Davis on the "Hear yea Hear yea...." but the sentencing judge [[much later) is the late Pervis Jackson of the Spinners.

SDF has discussed this many times over the years and it will should be in the old archives.

Actually, I was only referring to the "Hear yea. Here yea." portion. I'm not familiar with the record, so I had no idea that the judge also appears in other spots.

mowest
11-26-2013, 06:18 PM
mowest....thanks so much for the plug! I appreciate it!
John

You're more than welcome, John. You are a master at what you do with Motown!

mowest
11-26-2013, 06:23 PM
Reese

Makes sense, xtown, because the voice at the beginning of the recording sounds nothing like the "sentencing judge." Guess I'll try and check the archives for the answer unless one of our other "Motown mavens" would like to comment.

mowest
11-26-2013, 06:30 PM
From the archives [[July, 2007) and Keith Hughes: "Our research for TCMS indicated it was Sammy on the intro, and Pervis in the main part of the song.

phil
11-27-2013, 04:09 AM
Here it is :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veSqR370eos

Motown4Ever518
11-29-2013, 08:07 PM
Makes sense because on the Laugh - In TV show from which the bit was done for a few weeks, I believe Mr. Davis was the person who played the Judge during the bit.

heikki
11-30-2013, 05:50 AM
Hi!

Bobbie Smith: "I know Pervis did Shorty Long's 'Here Comes the Judge' - that was Pervis doing the judge part. That's how Shorty Long got the idea to do that song, because we had a thing in our act, where we would imitate Pigmeat Markham."
[[Soul Express: The Spinners Story, part 2)

Best regards
Heikki

rrussi
12-01-2013, 10:19 PM
I thought the best record of Here Comes The Judge was the one by Pigmeat Markham on Chess Records.