PDA

View Full Version : The Forum/Gras Roots

test

tjl
11-20-2013, 05:05 PM
Anyone know the back story of The Forum's "The River Is Wide"? Someone said Les Baxter was the deep rich Jerry Butler like voice on their version.

I also love the song by The Grass Roots, who seem very blue eyed-soulful on this tune to me.

The song is like a blow your mind kind of find fantasy that connects on different levels in its orchestration and vocals I think. Just wondering if anyone knows some history about this tune?

Doug-Morgan
11-20-2013, 08:51 PM
Baxter is listed as the producer of the group, and though I've seen him get writers credit, that is open to debate. Near as I can tell, Phil Campos had the deep voice, with his wife Rene Nole and Riselle Bain also in the trio.

jillfoster
11-20-2013, 09:06 PM
I never heard that version... I like the production, but the vocals really suck, IMO. There's all the bizarre scratcy voiced, chorus stuff going on, and the lead singer almost sounds to me like an uncontrolled version of Scott Walker. . Apparently this song has been covered by MANY in the 60's, I'm going to listen to them all just to hear the different takes on it. So far, the Grass Roots' version from 1969 is still my favorite. Warren Entner's voice is just so deep and dreamy, I can't imagine me liking another version better, but I'll give em a shot!