PDA

View Full Version : THE TEMPTATIONS With Lloyd Thaxton - THE LLOYD THAXTON SHOW - 2/17/66

test

Methuselah2
11-18-2013, 06:21 AM
Many thanks to 001chatlos001 for posting this footage on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSV2hdeLLhU

I loved THE LLOYD THAXTON SHOW throughout the mid-60s. He was very fond of Motown's artists and often featured them on his show. But I think Lloyd fancied himself a funnyman and, unfortunately, and painfully, his attempts at it often misfired, if not backfired.

I don't think Lloyd's schtick worked well at all in this clip. But from what I remember of his 5-days-a-week show, I never recall him seeming to be racist as he's being accused of in the YouTube Comments here. See what you think.

floyjoy678
11-18-2013, 01:54 PM
I don't see any racism in this, that's just how Lloyd was: trying to be funny but comes off as corny instead. There's a clip on there where he's interviewing the Shangri-las and he comes off the same way and they're white! The people posting in the comments section must be the younger self-entitled generation who like to whine over the smallest things and don't even know who Thaxton is. Lloyd had Marvin on there a lot [[there is or was a clip on youtube of Thaxton interviewing him too) and he had the Supremes on there quite a few times, I've seen one years ago where he interviewed them and Florence seemed to like his jokes. Lloyd used to have a blog before he passed away and I remember him writing in one of them that the Supremes were his favorite guests to have on the show. Who else from Motown appeared? The Four Tops did at one time right?

Methuselah2
11-18-2013, 02:47 PM
Floyjoy - According to this, the Tops did appear. Brenda, too.

http://www.tv.com/m/shows/the-lloyd-thaxton-show/lloyd-thaxton-show-04-00-1966-1367778/

nosey
11-19-2013, 10:44 AM
I rushed home everyday from school to see the show and don't remember this clip. However, I do believe he's being quite patronizing and back in my BC days, [[Before Christ)Lloyd would have gotten cussed out!

reese
11-19-2013, 11:36 AM
I didn't see any racism in this clip. Thaxton seemed to be a bit of a goofball, but a harmless one.