PDA

View Full Version : You were the one...................................diana ross

test

captainjames
11-16-2013, 08:20 PM
Some how this song reached my CD player again.....Who is singing background for Diana on this song and what CD [[LP) was it originally intended for ? I still think this would have been a good single for her.

reese
11-16-2013, 08:48 PM
Some have said that it might be the Jones Girls, but I don't think it was ever confirmed.

daviddh
11-18-2013, 10:53 PM
it was from the Ross 78 album and it is in the planning stages of getting a deluxe treatment. great track and I think it would have been a good single as well along with NEVER SAY I DONT LOVE YOU

sup_fan
11-19-2013, 12:24 PM
i was reading in Randi's book some of the notes on the lps. apparently it was tentatively announced that in 78 Diana would release a disco lp entitled Feelin' Fun. given all of the tracks that were recorded at the time, it's odd that they ended up with the lp they did. it's such an uneven collection. i don't know that all of the unreleased disco tracks are frankly all that great either. Fire Don't Burn is hardly vinyl magic, IMO. but i think they could at least have come up with a more compelling product that then did.

and why they didn't release You Were the One as a single is a mystery too

RossHolloway
11-19-2013, 12:29 PM
it was from the Ross 78 album and it is in the planning stages of getting a deluxe treatment. great track and I think it would have been a good single as well along with NEVER SAY I DONT LOVE YOU

Where have you heard Ross 78 is in the planning stages of the deluxe treatment?

BayouMotownMan
11-19-2013, 02:27 PM
Ross 78 was a contract issue. It was the fall of 1978 and an lp was due on Ross. She was in production for The Wiz and her recordings had slowed down accordingly. The tracks assembled for this lp, in some cases were 2-3 yrs old. The remix of Reach Out I'll Be There was simply Motown recouping on an expensive production that didn't do well in its original release. Not much promotion was given to this album because it was a contractual release. It had its moments, but Side B could have used some stronger tracks. I would have chosen You Were The One over What You Gave Me as a single release also. Motown was so disinterested in the lp that a second single was never even considered. All attention was on The Wiz

supremester
11-19-2013, 02:47 PM
By the time The Wiz came out, it was DOA. The Ross LP could have been worked - there was no single for months - then, inexplicably, What You Gave Me. My dear, dear friend Oscar who just passed, and I used to argue abiut You Wrre The One. I didn'rt like it because it got too high and I could breathe when I played it. He loved it, Now, decades later, I like it enough to think it may have been played. I still think the singles were Never Say and Where Did We Go Wrong. It was crazy for follow up two hit LPs with this hot mess. Revamping Reach Out & Sorry only watered them down and I agree that the dance tracks we finally got were not that great. One look at The Wiz, and I'd have locked her in the studio until there was releasable product. The Ross LP has like 5 tracks worthy of release - the rest weren't released.......they escaped!!

reese
11-19-2013, 03:04 PM
When I bought ROSS '78, I fell in love with WHAT YOU GAVE ME and YOU WERE THE ONE. For the most part, I didn't play Side Two. And when THE BOSS came out the following year, I basicially retired ROSS '78.

RossHolloway
11-19-2013, 03:31 PM
Loved this song You Were The One and What You Gave Me.

http://youtu.be/bVYm9QtCBUM

captainjames
11-19-2013, 08:41 PM
All I can say is you guys have some good ears,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I didn't even think of the Jones Girls until it was mentioned here and know I hear Shirley and Brenda loud and clear.....OUCH !!!

captainjames
11-19-2013, 08:43 PM
This was definitely a hidden gem that Motown fell asleep on.

daviddh
11-20-2013, 06:56 PM
Hipo select has both BABY IT'S ME and ROSS planned for a deluxe treatments. not sure if both are done but it is possible. I am hoping for something for Christmas but I am not holding my breath. they are about a year behind.