PDA

View Full Version : Supreme Marlene?

test

luke
11-08-2013, 08:23 PM
Could Ms Barrow have replaced Flo if she had really wanted the job? Ive read a couple of things about it and wondered what the consensus here is?

marv2
11-08-2013, 08:24 PM
Could Ms Barrow have replaced Flo if she had really wanted the job? Ive read a couple of things about it and wondered what the consensus here is?

No friggin' way! LOL! It would not have worked. I'm sure she wanted the job, but there is no way Berry Gordy was going to offer it to her.......

franjoy56
11-09-2013, 03:27 AM
diana who had a big part in who was going to take
Flo's place was set on Cindy Birdsong and on one else.

Kraig Diesel
11-09-2013, 02:50 PM
Marlene, Mary, and Diana 7477

jobeterob
11-09-2013, 03:23 PM
Another Supreme. In the end, Marlene was probably on more Supremes songs than Mary Florence or Cindy.

bradsupremes
11-09-2013, 08:18 PM
Another Supreme. In the end, Marlene was probably on more Supremes songs than Mary Florence or Cindy.

I have to disagree. Mary & Flo are on the overwhelming majority of songs recorded between the fall of 1960 and the summer of 1967 - roughly 269 songs. The Andantes do appear on more Supremes recordings between 1967 and 1969 than Mary & Cindy. However the Andantes appear on roughly 70 songs total between 1963 and 1969. Mary & Cindy are on roughly 42 songs done between 1967 and 1969.

jobeterob
11-09-2013, 09:30 PM
Good research as usual Brad. I was overstating and exaggerating. I like how you handled that. Well done.

captainjames
11-10-2013, 01:01 AM
If they could not have got Cindy out of her contract....Marlene would have probably been a Supreme.

BigAl
11-10-2013, 11:07 AM
Even though she pinch-hit for Flo on several occasions, I believe Marlene was probably much too valuable as an Andante for any permanent position as a Supreme. It just happened that she knew the material and because she was probably always handy, being pretty much rooted in Detroit all the time for session work she could be grabbed on a moment's notice. When Gordy's threats to sub her for Flo at the Copa were trounced by Jules Podell I suspect it was an indication that such a move wouldn't work in the larger picture. It's been mentioned that Barbara Randolph was being considered but apparently Diane would have no part of it for fear of being upstaged or something, but she would probably have been an able replacement had Cindy not been available. In the end, Cindy was of course the best choice.

jobeterob
11-10-2013, 03:09 PM
Hasn't it been written that they thought Marlene really didn't fit as a Supreme? I'm talking looks, style, demeanor.

captainjames
11-11-2013, 12:40 PM
As much as I hate to say it I don't think there was going to be any big search to replace Flo and Berry probably did not care who liked what. His motives was to uplift Diana out of this group and in the next year and a half he did. Mary Wells got away and in no way shape or form was he going to lose or use Diana to have a Superstar.

antceleb12
11-11-2013, 12:52 PM
As much as I hate to say it I don't think there was going to be any big search to replace Flo and Berry probably did not care who liked what. His motives was to uplift Diana out of this group and in the next year and a half he did. Mary Wells got away and in no way shape or form was he going to lose or use Diana to have a Superstar.

To an extent, I think Berry did care - he replaced Flo with Cindy, who physically resembled Flo enough that the public wouldn't be so quick to notice the change. After all, even though Diana was the star, the fans definitely knew who Florence and Mary were, and fans even wrote in to newspapers after Flo's dismissal, and Berry knew this. Had he replaced her with, say, Marlene, who might not have had the "Supreme" image, it might not have gone over so well with fans. But who knows.

luke
11-11-2013, 01:25 PM
I read in a Motown book that Marlene did not want to travel and that Diana didnt say two words to her. All of her interaction was with Mary. It seemed to imply she was being considered to replace Flo.

Roberta75
11-11-2013, 06:23 PM
I read in a Motown book that Marlene did not want to travel and that Diana didnt say two words to her. All of her interaction was with Mary. It seemed to imply she was being considered to replace Flo.

Interesting. So was mary training Marlene behind flos back?

antceleb12
11-11-2013, 06:31 PM
Interesting. So was mary training Marlene behind flos back?

I highly doubt it. Marlene stayed in Detroit most of the time, and the Supremes were usually traveling. Even if Marlene was being considered, Mary would have had no time to prep Marlene. Also, I think what Luke was talking about was that there was implication that Berry may have been considering Marlene.

Roberta75
11-11-2013, 06:41 PM
I highly doubt it. Marlene stayed in Detroit most of the time, and the Supremes were usually traveling. Even if Marlene was being considered, Mary would have had no time to prep Marlene. Also, I think what Luke was talking about was that there was implication that Berry may have been considering Marlene.

oh thats good to hear. I cant imagine sweet mary doing anything behind anyones back.

thanks antceleb.

Roberta

floyjoy678
11-11-2013, 08:40 PM
Actually Marlene replaced Florence in February of 1966 for a while and Mary trained Marlene. Marlene was supposed to go on longer but Diana wasn't too happy about Florence not singing behind her and Jules Podell was not happy to see Florence had been replaced when they got to the Copacabana for the 2nd time. So Berry had no choice but to bring Florence back in.

marv2
11-11-2013, 08:46 PM
Actually Marlene replaced Florence in February of 1966 for a while and Mary trained Marlene. Marlene was supposed to go on longer but Diana wasn't too happy about Florence not singing behind her and Jules Podell was not happy to see Florence had been replaced when they got to the Copacabana for the 2nd time. So Berry had no choice but to bring Florence back in.

Also, you have to ask yourself these questions. If Marlene Barrow was in Detroit already, knew most of the songs, already working at Motown..........why didn't Berry just use her as Florence's full time, permanent replacement? hmmmmmm.......? She was good wasn't she?

jobeterob
11-11-2013, 08:57 PM
Also, you have to ask yourself these questions. If Marlene Barrow was in Detroit already, knew most of the songs, already working at Motown..........why didn't Berry just use her as Florence's full time, permanent replacement? hmmmmmm.......? She was good wasn't she?

Well, to quote Ralph, the Andantes were often better than the group members on record, so the group members were replaced and augmented.

But they may not have had the look or the style or comportment of a Supreme!

marv2
11-11-2013, 09:07 PM
Well, to quote Ralph, the Andantes were often better than the group members on record, so the group members were replaced and augmented.

But they may not have had the look or the style or comportment of a Supreme!

Why didn't she replace one of the Vandellas then? They used replacements whenever a group member left.

smark21
11-11-2013, 09:31 PM
Cindy Birdsong got the gig to replace Flo because 1) she’s a good singer and performer; 2) she did bear a resemblance to Flo; 3) Diana Ross liked her; 4) Most importantly, from all I’ve heard about her, she’s a very nice, professional woman who could learn fast. With a group that was plagued with infighting and a member that was depressed and often angry, and had trouble learning routines, Cindy was the ideal replacement to help get the group back in some sort of even keel. It worked.

stephanie
11-11-2013, 09:33 PM
Antceleb12
You said what I was going to say. Although Ross was the lead singer the Supremes had waayyyyyyyyy to many fans for him to hire an Andante. We can look at the big picture, yes Cindy had a slight resemblance to Flo, she had already been in another girl group and had a soprano voice, she was a QUICK learner and NICE and got along with everyone, Im sure she was SOLD the opportunity of being a Supreme she didnt want to just leave a group she had been with for years. She also learned dance routines very quickly. No Andante would have fit in with this image unless they had been groomed from the beginning of the group. Look at the olds pics of the Supremes and you will understand what I mean.

Truth be told and thinking in retrospect if Mary Wilson had been the Supreme that was to be replaced the group would have fallen apart! Flo is my favorite Supreme and always will be but Mary was the one that held that group together, she worked hard and was a great dancer and had the image. Florence would not have been able to teach someone the routines or the vocals like Mary did she was not reliable enough.

jobeterob
11-11-2013, 10:58 PM
Antceleb12
You said what I was going to say. Although Ross was the lead singer the Supremes had waayyyyyyyyy to many fans for him to hire an Andante. We can look at the big picture, yes Cindy had a slight resemblance to Flo, she had already been in another girl group and had a soprano voice, she was a QUICK learner and NICE and got along with everyone, Im sure she was SOLD the opportunity of being a Supreme she didnt want to just leave a group she had been with for years. She also learned dance routines very quickly. No Andante would have fit in with this image unless they had been groomed from the beginning of the group. Look at the olds pics of the Supremes and you will understand what I mean.

Truth be told and thinking in retrospect if Mary Wilson had been the Supreme that was to be replaced the group would have fallen apart! Flo is my favorite Supreme and always will be but Mary was the one that held that group together, she worked hard and was a great dancer and had the image. Florence would not have been able to teach someone the routines or the vocals like Mary did she was not reliable enough.

For heavens sake, look at history.

It was Diana & Berry that held the group together.

Basically, two years after Diana left, the group was scrambling for money, gigs and hits and were over, kaput, zaputa. No other Supreme even had a freakin hit record.

The only reason anyone even remembers any other Supreme today is because of Diana and Berry.

marv2
11-12-2013, 08:59 AM
For heavens sake, look at history.

It was Diana & Berry that held the group together.

Basically, two years after Diana left, the group was scrambling for money, gigs and hits and were over, kaput, zaputa. No other Supreme even had a freakin hit record.

The only reason anyone even remembers any other Supreme today is because of Diana and Berry.

Uh, let's examine this outrageous claim for a moment: [["It was Diana & Berry that held the group together".)

- Berry Gordy [[some believe at the insistance of Diana Ross), fires original member Florence Ballard from the group.

- Two years later, original member Diana Ross leaves the group to become a solo act.

Yeah, I have say that Mary Wilson was the one that held that group together. As Berry Gordy put it, "Mary Wilson was the heart and soul of the Supremes......." She is the one that has kept the Supremes legacy alive all these years almost single handedly!

antceleb12
11-12-2013, 12:10 PM
Diana is the most well-known Supreme, yes, and Berry brought them to the fame and fortune, yes. However, when Diana left in 1970 and Berry "washed his hands" of the group not a day after Diana left, Mary kept the group going for seven years. They might not have had the success of the DMF/DMC Supremes, but the post-Diana line-ups alone stayed together about as long as the Beatles did their entire career. Whether they were as successful or not, Mary fought for that group for seven years among many, many personal and business problems with Motown, Pedro, and the other girls. The fact that she was the only Supreme to stay from the beginning to the end - all 18 years - is pretty fantastic. I would definitely say that Mary was the glue that kept the group together.

jobeterob
11-12-2013, 12:20 PM
All of Antceleb12's comments are true.

But nonetheless, the Supremes are remembered for one person only - Diana.
The public does not know the others anymore if they ever did.

By mid 1973, the group was effectively over and might as well have called it a day then. If Mary had any confidence in herself at that time, she might have pulled off a mini Kelly Rowland career. But it didn't happen.

marv2
11-12-2013, 08:13 PM
All of Antceleb12's comments are true.

But nonetheless, the Supremes are remembered for one person only - Diana.
The public does not know the others anymore if they ever did.

That's not true......no they aren't!

supremester
11-12-2013, 10:11 PM
Had Cindy not been available, maybe Marlene wooda been subbing more often. I don't think Berry wooda dumped Flo w/o a permanent replacement. I think Marlene was perfect vocally - but have no idea how she fit in otherwise. She was good enough to use a lot so she was at least acceptable. I highly doubt Diana Ross would have been afraid of Barbara Randolph upstaging her. If she wasn't afraid of Flo, Mary, Cindy or Marlene upstaging her, or doing live duets with David, Dennis & Eddie or recording with Paul & Marvin, I can't imagine Barbara would be a threat. Streisand? Maybe. Randolph? No way. Randolph subbed for Tammi Terrell in fall of '67 in shows with Marvin and was not too impressive, I'm told. Her 45 was good, though. I think it's funny when people suggest Miss Ross was insecure about her talent. She sang lead on 10 #1's in 3 years and was the driving force in the biggest group next to The Beatles. Worry? No way.
Even though she pinch-hit for Flo on several occasions, I believe Marlene was probably much too valuable as an Andante for any permanent position as a Supreme. It just happened that she knew the material and because she was probably always handy, being pretty much rooted in Detroit all the time for session work she could be grabbed on a moment's notice. When Gordy's threats to sub her for Flo at the Copa were trounced by Jules Podell I suspect it was an indication that such a move wouldn't work in the larger picture. It's been mentioned that Barbara Randolph was being considered but apparently Diane would have no part of it for fear of being upstaged or something, but she would probably have been an able replacement had Cindy not been available. In the end, Cindy was of course the best choice.

marv2
11-12-2013, 10:38 PM
Had Cindy not been available, maybe Marlene wooda been subbing more often. I don't think Berry wooda dumped Flo w/o a permanent replacement. I think Marlene was perfect vocally - but have no idea how she fit in otherwise. She was good enough to use a lot so she was at least acceptable. I highly doubt Diana Ross would have been afraid of Barbara Randolph upstaging her. If she wasn't afraid of Flo, Mary, Cindy or Marlene upstaging her, or doing live duets with David, Dennis & Eddie or recording with Paul & Marvin, I can't imagine Barbara would be a threat. Streisand? Maybe. Randolph? No way. Randolph subbed for Tammi Terrell in fall of '67 in shows with Marvin and was not too impressive, I'm told. Her 45 was good, though. I think it's funny when people suggest Miss Ross was insecure about her talent. She sang lead on 10 #1's in 3 years and was the driving force in the biggest group next to The Beatles. Worry? No way.

Diana Ross has always been insecure. She is the first to admit that, which is why she has no close friends today. She has an unnatural hatred of all other women.

RossHolloway
11-12-2013, 10:57 PM
It seems I once read that Diana Ross did not care for Barbara Randolph because Barbara was thought to have been romantically involved with Berry Gordy during this time period.

marv2
11-12-2013, 11:40 PM
Here Barbara is leading the Platters on "Hollywood A Go Go". She looks and sounds fine to me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVjqAfkIt6c

supremester
11-13-2013, 01:21 AM
Maybe she did when you knew her, or, maybe she just hated the women you know. The latter seems unlikely as how could you have time to meet women when you spend SO much time on various sites dogging Miss Ross and puffing up Mary? Anyhoo, after Miss Ross' Staple Center Theatre show in 2010, I was walking up the aisle with Scherrie, Lynda and Freda and a woman I did not know when Ross and Evan bumped into us and the stranger pointed at Ross and said "OMG - I forgot! I'll be at your mom's on Tues and I'll bring it then. " She then turned to us and said "we see all the movies on Tuesday nights." That woman was Debbie Allen. When we had moved a bit further, she added to our group, "those are two beautiful boys...." we all went out after the show and that stranger came up to Freda and I and chatted for a minute. Freda, being a sweetheart just like her sis, intro'd me to Debbie Allen. I thought she looked familar and then all the pics I had seen of her and Miss Ross made sense. People kept talking about how great the show was. I assume you didn't see it as you have been posting her show has been the same for years and years - and you're right - [[except for the 6 new gowns, multi-level stage, video screen, live string & horn section and set list.) As people would come up to different peeps in the group - or just walk by and exclaim what an awesome show it was, I was touched to see them all genuinely happy for Miss Ross - not a shred of jealousy or snit. They loved the show and were happy to discuss it with all the passersby. I spent most of the night talking to Freda. She's fascinating, funny, sweet and was, I believe, the first woman signed - or almost signed - to Motown.
Diana Ross has always been insecure. She is the first to admit that, which is why she has no close friends today. She has an unnatural hatred of all other women.

skooldem1
11-13-2013, 01:53 AM
That is a great story about Debbie. She has been a fan of Diana's for many years. I also found out that they were acquaintances- didn't realize just how close they actually were. I love Debbie Allen. Saw her just today on Queen Latifah's talk show. She looked great.

luke
11-13-2013, 01:35 PM
"...Berry said that I would be replacing Flo," Randolph recalled. " But he said the final decision was Diana's. All final decisions were Diana's. I wasnt sure I wanted to get involved. I felt she used her position to keep anyone that might outshine her, or have the potential to do that in her place. Berry tok me backstage and knocked on the dressing room door and opened it." "Diane, I got Barbara Randolph here." he said. "Now would be the time to talk." " I dont wasnt to talk to her! I told you that!' Diana screamed at him." " She was not willing to even speak to me,"Barbara said. "I knew that I wasnt going to be a Supreme."
Also say Ross intimates , she was suspicious of Randolph becasue she was so beautiful...and Berry assured her he was not having an affair with her. She was extremely talented. The more he talked about her, the more suspicious Diana became.

Call Her MIss Ross

supremester
11-13-2013, 03:15 PM
I won't get into what I think about some of Randy T's writings, but, after Gil, mrs powell, Cholly & harvey have all told me everything was up to Berry, I doubt third hand accounts from someone with an ax to grind. Maybe Randolph was beautiful - she wasn't so hot in Guess who's Coming To Dinner that same year. Mary wilson was light years more beautiful and she didn't get the ax. I also do not buy things said by "intimates" a pseudonym writers use to say whatever they want with no accountability for its veracity. I think it takes balls to even suggest she could outshine any Supreme - let alone Miss Ross. I love the story, though and I do believe Ross didn't want to talk to her. Looking at Randolph and Cindy - who would YOU choose?

RossHolloway
11-13-2013, 03:20 PM
I won't get into what I think about some of Randy T's writings, but, after Gil, mrs powell, Cholly & harvey have all told me everything was up to Berry, I doubt third hand accounts from someone with an ax to grind. Maybe Randolph was beautiful - she wasn't so hot in Guess who's Coming To Dinner that same year. Mary wilson was light years more beautiful and she didn't get the ax. I also do not buy things said by "intimates" a pseudonym writers use to say whatever they want with no accountability for its veracity. I think it takes balls to even suggest she could outshine any Supreme - let alone Miss Ross. I love the story, though and I do believe Ross didn't want to talk to her. Looking at Randolph and Cindy - who would YOU choose?

Supremester- Thanks for posting, but a word of advise, Marv2 is a well known troll and its best to avoid and ignore this poster at all cost.

shoo-be-doo
11-13-2013, 03:40 PM
Let's face it, no one could ever 'replace' Flo - they could only ever substitute for her. As nice as Cindy was and as professional as she was she didn't have an ounce of Flo's character and no doubt Ross liked it that way.

jobeterob
11-13-2013, 03:59 PM
It sounds like Diana wanted Flo a lot of the time, if she could only have shaped up.

Jimi LaLumia
11-13-2013, 04:03 PM
by the way, Gordy was the decider, but in most groups, Motown or otherwise, be it David Bowie, Axl Rose, Mick Jagger or yes, Diana Ross, the lead singer/front person HAS to be kept happy.. they are, after all the FRONT person, that's the way it is..unless the front person gets the heave ho from the group, as was the case with David Ruffin and The Temptations.. I'm sure that Gordy didn't dare try to over rule that at the time, although he did keep Ruffin as a solo..

shoo-be-doo
11-13-2013, 04:16 PM
There is no doubt that Ross had to be kept happy at ALL costs but as far as someone else coming into the group went it HAD to be someone with a less strong character because she certainly wasn't going to put up with any aggro from anybody else.

luke
11-13-2013, 04:24 PM
Though from some things Ive read Mary began to be more direct and stand up for herself more. Takin over from Flo some.

shoo-be-doo
11-13-2013, 04:28 PM
But by then Ross had one leg out of the door anyway but Mary had to toughen up substantially with Jean Terrell on the way in!

luke
11-13-2013, 04:33 PM
Very true. Ive read Mary often urged Cindy to be direct so they could be united, also al a Flo!

marv2
11-13-2013, 09:00 PM
Supremester- Thanks for posting, but a word of advise, Marv2 is a well known troll and its best to avoid and ignore this poster at all cost.

A well known troll? Boy/girl or whatever you are! I have been a member of this forum since 2003 so go to Hell with your "troll" bullshit! Shut up and you might learn something other than calling me outta my name.....

marv2
11-13-2013, 09:02 PM
Very true. Ive read Mary often urged Cindy to be direct so they could be united, also al a Flo!

Diana Ross proved that sleeping with the boss has it's advantages.......

supremester
11-13-2013, 09:42 PM
That's true. As opposed to another, much less popular Supreme who slept with half the men at Motown, many of the men at other labels, servicemen at The Safari Club in 1964, straight men in the audience that will pick up her drink tab on any night and attempts with David Geffen [[LOLOLOL) and Neil Borgart who chose death over signing her - she just wasn't selective enough! LOLOLOL

thisoldheart
11-13-2013, 10:00 PM
regarding barbara randolph: she commands like a lead singer, moves and has the charisma of a lead singer ... and was a lead singer ... i can't see her fitting into a backup position, even if it was the supremes.

jobeterob
11-13-2013, 10:24 PM
A well known troll? Boy/girl or whatever you are! I have been a member of this forum since 2003 so go to Hell with your "troll" bullshit! Shut up and you might learn something other than calling me outta my name.....

Troll like behaviour. Ross was right.

Lucky we have troll police here.

marv2
11-13-2013, 10:39 PM
Troll like behaviour. Ross was right.

Lucky we have troll police here.

You sound like an immature child.

antceleb12
11-13-2013, 10:56 PM
regarding barbara randolph: she commands like a lead singer, moves and has the charisma of a lead singer ... and was a lead singer ... i can't see her fitting into a backup position, even if it was the supremes.

I completely agree. I can see why Ross would have been threatened [[IF that was even the case at all). Randolph belonged in the front.

marv2
11-13-2013, 11:13 PM
I completely agree. I can see why Ross would have been threatened [[IF that was even the case at all). Randolph belonged in the front.

Barbara Randolph had the goods to have become a great star. She definitely was talented.

supremester
11-13-2013, 11:24 PM
@ Thisoldheart: I never saw her sing but i like her 45 a lot. I know people who saw her with marvin and they had mixed opinions - but remember they paid to see and came for Tammi Terrell.

@Marv - You tell him! Educate us, oh, Wise One. Tell us the story about Mary's solo at The Hollywood Palace - [[a classic.) Tell us that and what you did when Mary's friend posted he was gonna ask her about it and your reply "Stay out of it!!!!!" and he was never heard from on MWOS again, but we got emails from him with Mary's reply denying the whole thing.

@Jobeterob: Beg Marv to us how Mary stood up to Berry and DEMANDED a solo right in front of everybody and how the asst director sided with her in that it wasn't fair Diana got all the leads and together they put Berry AND Diane in their place.

bradsupremes
11-14-2013, 10:36 AM
Am I the only one who thinks Barbara was a bad first choice to replace Florence? She would have fit in visually as she was beautiful, but vocally...no. I'm not saying she isn't a great singer, but her vocal timbre wouldn't have blended with Mary's. The group needed a soprano and I don't believe Barbara was a soprano. It would have been Diana, a mezzo-soprano, with Mary & Barbara who I assume are both altos. It would have thrown off the entire group sound. Marlene Barrow was the opposite. Vocally she was perfect with the group, but she was shorter than Diana and Mary so the visuals would have been throw off. They made the right choice in Cindy Birdsong.

jobeterob
11-14-2013, 11:53 AM
Am I the only one who thinks Barbara was a bad first choice to replace Florence? She would have fit in visually as she was beautiful, but vocally...no. I'm not saying she isn't a great singer, but her vocal timbre wouldn't have blended with Mary's. The group needed a soprano and I don't believe Barbara was a soprano. It would have been Diana, a mezzo-soprano, with Mary & Barbara who I assume are both altos. It would have thrown off the entire group sound. Marlene Barrow was the opposite. Vocally she was perfect with the group, but she was shorter than Diana and Mary so the visuals would have been throw off. They made the right choice in Cindy Birdsong.

Probably exactly the kind of procedure they went through.

Far too rational for the ten conspiracy theorist fans that see conspiracy in everything Motown, Berry & Diana did.

RossHolloway
11-14-2013, 12:19 PM
Probably exactly the kind of procedure they went through.

Far too rational for the ten conspiracy theorist fans that see conspiracy in everything Motown, Berry & Diana did.

LOL Best post this week.

supremester
11-14-2013, 04:44 PM
Absolutely! WHY would they consider anything BUT Miss Ross' insecurities, hatred of women and diva whims?? I'm missing the beauty of her that everyone else is seeing, but think she was OK looking. Just not Supremey. I can see not wanting Tammi Terrell to replace Flo - I'd be insecure about that myself. [[Not that she was considered.) I think that, as Smark said, replacing Flo with someone who would fit in socially was important. The group was working non-stop and tensions were bound to be there. That's why Mary nixed Syreeta.

RossHolloway
11-14-2013, 05:02 PM
Absolutely! WHY would they consider anything BUT Miss Ross' insecurities, hatred of women and diva whims?? I'm missing the beauty of her that everyone else is seeing, but think she was OK looking. Just not Supremey. I can see not wanting Tammi Terrell to replace Flo - I'd be insecure about that myself. [[Not that she was considered.) I think that, as Smark said, replacing Flo with someone who would fit in socially was important. The group was working non-stop and tensions were bound to be there. That's why Mary nixed Syreeta.

Why did Mary nix Syreeta? What's the story behind their relationship?

bradsupremes
11-14-2013, 07:03 PM

Cindy Birdsong once said herself and Mary just didn't get along that well with Syreeta at the time. The right choice was made though. There was no other lady more perfect to replace Diana than Jean Terrell.

marv2
11-14-2013, 07:39 PM
Cindy Birdsong once said herself and Mary just didn't get along that well with Syreeta at the time. The right choice was made though. There was no other lady more perfect to replace Diana than Jean Terrell.

I totally agree! Jean Terrell was perfect for the Supremes.

jobeterob
11-14-2013, 09:16 PM
On the 45 of Up The Ladder to the Roof coming over a transistor radio, Jean emulated Diana and the transition was very smooth.

If only it could have continued beyond 1972.

marv2
11-14-2013, 10:20 PM
On the 45 of Up The Ladder to the Roof coming over a transistor radio, Jean emulated Diana and the transition was very smooth.

If only it could have continued beyond 1972.

I think Jean Terrell sounded much, much better than Diana Ross. Diana Ross' releases from approx 1970, 71 were almost unlistenable to me with the screechy, hoarse sound her voice made during that time. Yuk@!

honest man
11-15-2013, 10:42 AM
Jobeterob you are right again[as always]Jean did a good job at emulating Diana and when she stopped and Mary tried to sing on songs ,the poor girls, quickly spiralled into decline.cheers.

mowest
11-15-2013, 06:52 PM

I've read that Mary was afraid that Syreeta, like Diana, had "solo intentions" and would eventually want to step out in front. With Jean, Mary thought there would, once again, be a true group.

marv2
11-15-2013, 07:19 PM
I've read that Mary was afraid that Syreeta, like Diana, had "solo intentions" and would eventually want to step out in front. With Jean, Mary thought there would, once again, be a true group.

Mowest, you have the gist of it. Syreeta had been on the label for a few years as a solo artist by the time the Supremes were looking for a replacement. I was always curious as to how Syreeta managed to remain on Motown for something like 11 years before she got a hit with her duet with Billy Preston "With You I'm Born Again". Anyway, I think Mary made the right decision to lobby for Jean Terrell. They did become a group again once she joined.

smark21
11-15-2013, 09:52 PM
Jobeterob you are right again[as always]Jean did a good job at emulating Diana and when she stopped and Mary tried to sing on songs ,the poor girls, quickly spiralled into decline.cheers.

No, it was because the quality of their material began to decline and the group was never able to successfully re-invent themselves for a new generation, which is key for a pop act to endure. Ross had her chart struggles in the early 70s, but Lady Sings gave her the platform to re-invent and update her image/persona.

BTW honestman, do you still think the lyrics of The Happening tell a happy, upbeat story?