PDA

View Full Version : Background singers

test

blueskies
11-08-2013, 12:09 AM
This seems to be a big topic around here these days. Does anyone know if groups like the Pointer Sisters, Emotions, Jones Girls and so forth used extra or different background voices? I know Phil Spector did this, but, never heard about The Pointers Sisters and some other groups.

rod_rick
11-08-2013, 10:48 AM
This seems to be a big topic around here these days. Does anyone know if groups like the Pointer Sisters, Emotions, Jones Girls and so forth used extra or different background voices? I know Phil Spector did this, but, never heard about The Pointers Sisters and some other groups.

I heard that Phillip Bailey sang background with the Emotions on Don't Ask My Neighbors, when they recorded the backing vocals for Nancy Wilson but that's it. Never heard of additional backing vocals on thier own recording unless it was solo work

smark21
11-08-2013, 09:39 PM
In the late 80s/early 90s, Expose’s producers would sometimes use additional background vocalists to augment the group. Generally on songs that require some extra r and b such as Let Me Be the One and What You Don’t Know. However the albums were released with liner notes and the additional background singers were identified and credited. For an example: Here’s a live version of Let Me Be the One vs. the recording. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ie0WAEPbBuw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BR4cR9CeLi0

reese
11-08-2013, 09:55 PM
I think there were additional credited vocalists on the CHIC-produced Sister Sledge albums.

rod_rick
11-09-2013, 12:43 AM
I think there were additional credited vocalists on the CHIC-produced Sister Sledge albums.
Oh year, even Luther is on "We Are Family", but all of the Chic produced Sister Sledge has music has additional background vocals. The Sweeties the female backing vocalist for Philly Intl Records augmented the Spinners recordings and I believe remember reading one of the ladies stating they were on some of the Three Degree recordings not sure how true it is because their philly stuff sounds like Fayette, Val & Sheila to me. The Jackson 5 early Motown had additional vocalist, High Inergy and the Maryjane Girls use the the ladies from the Waters family.

splanky
11-09-2013, 09:59 AM
Good subject...
As far as I'm concerned, The Emotions and The Pointers didn't really need back up singers
for support but I know it's hard sometimes for some producers to not add even their own
vocals to a project. I found out years after falling in love with the tune that the Joytones
This Love I'm Giving You which featured BTW Lynn Middleton and not Vicki Burgess on lead
was also backed by her husband Tony's group . I also know Maurice White sang behind
Sheila and her sisters on The Key To My Heart just as he did on Neicy's If You Don't Believe
both which he produced. Barry White appeared on Love Unlimited releases but I don't
recall if he ever sang, only spoken interludes like in Walkin In The Rain. I'm sure there are
other examples but I can't think of them at the moment...

motony
11-11-2013, 11:20 AM
the statement above that "The Emotions & the Pointers didn't really need back up singers for support" is misleading because the truth is the Supremes,Vandellas, Marvelettes, Velvelettes, Crystals, Ronettes sure didn't need additional bg singers for support as I saw them all LIVE and they were FANTASTIC.

splanky
11-11-2013, 12:53 PM
the statement above that "The Emotions & the Pointers didn't really need back up singers for support" is misleading because the truth is the Supremes,Vandellas, Marvelettes, Velvelettes, Crystals, Ronettes sure didn't need additional bg singers for support as I saw them all LIVE and they were FANTASTIC.

ah, excuse me, motony but where in my comment did I mention the name of any one of
your crop of songbirds? and second, when did you become thread editor? Please....

motony
11-11-2013, 02:03 PM
sincerly sorry, splanky, I did not mean it as a slight to you. I saw both the Emotions & Pointer Sisters in person also & they were great. Somehow over the years alot of people have goten the idea that having background singers on singing groups records=lack of talent & that is certainly not the case. I could never be an editor, no education, LOL.

glencro
11-11-2013, 03:17 PM
Oh year, even Luther is on "We Are Family", but all of the Chic produced Sister Sledge has music has additional background vocals.

The "We Are Family" album did feature the Chic singers on background vocals which was a bit of a problem between the sisters and Bernard & Nile, but that was how they did things as producers. On the follow up "Love Somebody Today", there were additional bgvs on the first single "Got To Love Somebody" but the rest of the album, the sisters did their own bgv's.

rrussi
11-12-2013, 09:44 AM
Having additional singers on recordings was something the producers did. Many times the additional backup singers were brought in and added after the group had already done their studio work. I guess it had to do with the particular sound the producers wanted. I don't think any group could get a record deal if they couldn't hold their own.

rod_rick
11-12-2013, 12:58 PM
sincerly sorry, splanky, I did not mean it as a slight to you. I saw both the Emotions & Pointer Sisters in person also & they were great. Somehow over the years alot of people have goten the idea that having background singers on singing groups records=lack of talent & that is certainly not the case. I could never be an editor, no education, LOL.

What I really enjoy about the Emotions is that all four sisters has the ability to sing lead with an alto to 1st soprano vocal range. Their background vocal parts were arranged according to what they wanted to highlight. Jeanette generally sang the top harmony but on if you listen to the song "Blessed" Sheila sing the top and Jeanette sings the very low notes.. I will never forget seeing all four sisters in concert in the 90's and they were performing "Flowers". Well Jeanette and Pam were singing the same top note on the outro chorus [[ We hold the key to the world destiny), when that part came back around, Jeanette took a note higher than Pam [[which was the top on the recording) and it was beautiful. That take pure talent and being in-tune with your singing partners. I believe with the Pointer Sisters, they were sort of locked into parts because Ruth always sang the bottom harmony. The Jones girls were good at changing up the parts as well, and because of that these groups didn't really need additional backing vocalist.

brother_love
11-20-2013, 02:41 PM
The Emotions did have a little help on their album "New Affair." The extra voices that were used on these tracks were Carla Vaughn and Judy Jones.

rod_rick
11-20-2013, 03:22 PM
The Emotions did have a little help on their album "New Affair." The extra voices that were used on these tracks were Carla Vaughn and Judy Jones.

Hey Brotherlove
What songs on the New Affair lp feature Judy Jones and Carla Vaughn?

brother_love
11-22-2013, 02:01 PM
Hey Rod, I'm not really sure what tracks they're on. :confused:
Hey Brotherlove
What songs on the New Affair lp feature Judy Jones and Carla Vaughn?

ceasar
11-22-2013, 02:25 PM
We [[ THE TYMES ) backed LEN BARRY on his hit 1,2,3,
CEASAR
THE
ORIGINAL
TYMES

marv2
11-22-2013, 06:59 PM
We [[ THE TYMES ) backed LEN BARRY on his hit 1,2,3,
CEASAR
THE
ORIGINAL
TYMES

I've loved that record for years, but never knew you guys were on it! Sounds good:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWAFcjaiACM

ceasar
11-22-2013, 08:37 PM
I can't forget the ladies.
The cookies were also on those recordings
SOMEWHERE,LYP SYNC.
At that time our two groups were on all his recordings.
Ceasar
The
Original
Tymes

ralpht
11-22-2013, 10:37 PM
Nice memories, Ceasar. All that talent.

splanky
11-24-2013, 03:38 PM
I can't forget the ladies.
The cookies were also on those recordings
SOMEWHERE,LYP SYNC.
At that time our two groups were on all his recordings.
Ceasar
The
Original
Tymes

Holy smokes and gee whiz! I never knew that, Ceasar. Your Tymes and my Cookies?!!...
Dang, I guess it's true you can learn something new everyday...

stephanie
11-24-2013, 07:01 PM
Yes I heard Margaret Ross on stage say the Cookies and the Tymes were on records by Len Barry I always wondered who those voices were!