PDA

View Full Version : JR.WALKER and the All Stars - HIP CITY !

test

marv2
11-07-2013, 09:36 AM
Hey! Remember this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smuBhmMCITs

stingbeelee
11-07-2013, 01:05 PM
Great one Marv!
I have read that some Motown artists wanted Junior to play on their records, but Berry refused, he stated to leave Junior alone. Does anyone know the reason why? Was it because Berry had a lot of respect for Junior? I know the Funk Bros. were top flight musicians, but it is kind of curious that Junior didn't play on other Motown records.

marv2
11-07-2013, 07:45 PM
Great one Marv!
I have read that some Motown artists wanted Junior to play on their records, but Berry refused, he stated to leave Junior alone. Does anyone know the reason why? Was it because Berry had a lot of respect for Junior? I know the Funk Bros. were top flight musicians, but it is kind of curious that Junior didn't play on other Motown records.

Thanks stingbeelee! "Hip City" was a great one. A very popular party record when I was a kid. It was on one of those jukeboxes everyone use to play in restaurants, bars, pool hall etc,etc.

I think that Berry and Motown wanted Junior to remain a distinct, singular act. He was after all a money maker that did not cost the company much to produce. They did not have to write his songs, play his music or groom him for the Copa! His style was uniquely his own at Motown and I for one can appreciate that. To use him on others recordings would dilute the impact Junior and the Allstars made with their own records. Just my opinion.

nosey
11-08-2013, 10:50 AM
There's a line dance in Philly that's done off of Hip City. It's bad but you have to have good knees. LOL