test

Methuselah2
11-03-2013, 03:13 AM
Written by Frank Wilson

The beautiful video and great blurb--by Tomovox:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H771jzmx168

supremester
11-03-2013, 03:29 AM
Great track - Paul Petersen really lucked out to get such a killer track.

Methuselah2
11-03-2013, 03:37 AM
Didn't he?! And he did a really good job on it, too. A very pleasant surprise.

thomas96
11-03-2013, 10:53 AM
Very nice. I think I remember having this on a promo, was it ever released? I like Marvin's better but this is still great.

Methuselah2
11-03-2013, 11:46 AM
Thomas - From what I can tell, it was both recorded and released before Marvin's; 5/11/67; M1108.

Roger Polhill
11-03-2013, 04:06 PM
It appears as the first version of this song.The vocal was recorded on 13th. January 1967. Marvin`s track was 24th February 1968.The vocal on 7th. March 1968.There are unreleased tracks including "Window Shopping"

MotownLover
11-04-2013, 12:43 AM
Thomas - From what I can tell, it was both recorded and released before Marvin's; 5/11/67; M1108.

Meth - What you've stated is true. I actually purchased Paul's version when it was released as I just so happened to run across it at Wallich's Music City back in the day. It being Motown it was a no brainer that I had to buy it, as I collected all 45s on the Motown family of labels that I would run across: Motown, Tamla, Gordy, Soul, and V.I.P. [[I didn't know about the "other" less known labels at the time, like those with the C&W stuff). When Marvin's version came out and had radio play [[which Paul's version did not in the L.A. that I know of), I knew it was previously released on Petersen. I like them both, but Paul's is not as "filled out" production-wise as was Gaye's.

kenneth
11-04-2013, 02:09 AM
I probably only listened to this once on the Singles set, but it is really a great track! His earlier singles on Colpix were so heavily augmented by extra echo and enhancements, his voice really wasn't clearly distinguishable from any other singer's. This gives his voice great attention, and like the annotator on YouTube says, his offhand "California style" delivery really adds to the arrangement. I really like it.

Hey, Tommy Good got his own CD based on just a few singles, so perhaps someday we'll see more of the Paul Petersen tracks released. This makes me anxious to hear them.

Methuselah2
11-04-2013, 02:48 AM
ML - After your post, I had to check out Wallich's Music City. What a history! What a place!

supremester
11-04-2013, 02:53 AM
Imagine being a fairly fledgling pop singer and getting signed to MOTOWN and working with Frank Wilson right off the bat. Wilson was hot from the get-go. He was so versatile: All I Need, Up The Ladder, Keep On Truckin- so many styles and all smashes on each one.

mickeymac
11-04-2013, 02:52 PM
I always liked Paul Petersen's version of this tune.

thomas96
11-04-2013, 04:27 PM
Hey, Tommy Good got his own CD based on just a few singles, so perhaps someday we'll see more of the Paul Petersen tracks released. This makes me anxious to hear them.

Unfortunately, he didn't record much at Motown. Tommy Good recorded a whole stable of songs that didn't get released. Not even sure there's enough PP to fill a cd..

MotownLover
11-04-2013, 11:51 PM
I only know of a few songs that Paul recorded while with Motown:

Chained
A Little Bit For Sandy
Your Love's Got Me Burning Alive
Don't Let It Happen To Us
Farewell Is A Lonely Sound

kenneth
11-05-2013, 12:12 AM
@thomas96 and @motownlover, thanks for the information...kenneth

TomBairdFan
11-05-2013, 07:47 AM
From Paul Nixon's notes for A Cellarful Of Motown Volume 3:

''Teen idol Paul Peterson cut enough sides for Motown for a whole LP and a little bit more.''

Anyone for a 'Free Paul Peterson' campaign? I'm in!

kenneth
11-05-2013, 10:24 AM
From Paul Nixon's notes for A Cellarful Of Motown Volume 3:

''Teen idol Paul Peterson cut enough sides for Motown for a whole LP and a little bit more.''

Anyone for a 'Free Paul Peterson' campaign? I'm in!

And Paul still being with us would add to the interest, I think. He probably has some good memories of those times to discuss. It'd be great to hear those tracks.

rrussi
11-08-2013, 05:25 AM
Didn't he record his Motown material in California? He really wasn't much of a singer, but Motown could make anyone sound better than ever.

Roger Polhill
11-28-2013, 07:41 PM
I have a video clip of this if only I knew how to to post it.

bradsupremes
11-29-2013, 12:17 AM
Jimmy Webb recalls writing a few songs for Paul when he was with Motown. Apparently Jimmy wrote "By The Time To Get Phoenix" while at Motown and Paul recorded the first version, but Motown wasn't too crazy about the song and shelved it. Jimmy said Motown didn't like the song's structure as it wasn't in the A-B-A-B-C-B style. It all worked out in the end though. I love Motown and I love Jimmy Webb, but Jimmy was too prolific of a songwriter for Motown.

Methuselah2
11-29-2013, 12:28 AM
I have a video clip of this if only I knew how to to post it.

Roger P. - I'm hoping an SDF member who has a YouTube channel might be willing for you to send them the video via SDF email, and then they could post it on their channel. If I had such a channel, I'd do it. Sounds like a video that would be interesting to see.

Methuselah2
11-29-2013, 12:45 AM
Roger P. - A Google search shows the video [[perhaps the one you have) on frequency.com--but it has been removed due to privacy settings. Perhaps there are restrictions for posting this video on sites. Might not be worth pursuing. But I'm very glad you brought it up. Perhaps permissions will be granted at some point in the future, and maybe it could end up on YouTube. Thanks to you, I'll check from time to time to see if this has possibly happened.

Motown4Ever518
11-29-2013, 07:56 PM
What a coincidence, I was listening to CMS 1967 on a long car trip today and was kind of knocked out by this. Double P wasn't MPG, but who is? A tip of the chapeau to Frank Wilson, who I wished would have received more recognition before joining the staff of the great songwriters in our Fathers House.

Roger Polhill
11-29-2013, 11:55 PM
Roger P. - A Google search shows the video [[perhaps the one you have) on frequency.com--but it has been removed due to privacy settings. Perhaps there are restrictions for posting this video on sites. Might not be worth pursuing. But I'm very glad you brought it up. Perhaps permissions will be granted at some point in the future, and maybe it could end up on YouTube. Thanks to you, I'll check from time to time to see if this has possibly happened.
I only want to post here SFD not on You Tube.Is that possible Methuselah?

kenneth
11-30-2013, 12:36 AM
I only want to post here SFD not on You Tube.Is that possible Methuselah?

It would likely still violate whoever owns the copyright on it, but probably they don't troll SDF as much as they do YouTube, where this stuff usually shows up. I don't know, however, if you can post something of that size to SDF.

Methuselah2
11-30-2013, 03:09 AM
Roger P. - I agree with Kenneth: Besides possible copyright issues, the size of video files are quite large and might be more than is permissible as an attachment in an SDF thread. This sounds like a question for Ralph; you might want to contact him via SDF email; his address: ralpht

I greatly appreciate your wanting to make this video available. But it might not be possible at this point.

Roger Polhill
11-30-2013, 03:22 AM
Thank you both for your information. I guess that I`ll just have keep them to myself - that`s a shame.

mysterysinger
11-30-2013, 08:30 PM
His 4 released Motown tracks are on both of these CDs

paul_nixon
12-01-2013, 03:35 PM
Unfortunately, he didn't record much at Motown. Tommy Good recorded a whole stable of songs that didn't get released. Not even sure there's enough PP to fill a cd..

There is more than enough to make up a Paul Petersen CD in much the same way as theTommy Good CD

Roger Polhill
12-01-2013, 04:14 PM
This could be a nice little project for you over Xmas Paul.

MotownLover
12-01-2013, 08:32 PM
Oooo...this would be a keeper if such a CD comes to pass! ;)

captainjames
12-03-2013, 09:10 PM
"She can't find her Keys ........................."