PDA

View Full Version : Quincy Jones Sues Michael Jackson's Estate

test

jobeterob
10-25-2013, 09:49 PM
AP/ October 25, 2013, 9:12 PM

Quincy Jones sues Michael Jackson's estate

LOS ANGELES Quincy Jones sued Michael Jackson's estate on Friday claiming he is owed millions in royalties and production fees on some of the superstar's greatest hits.

Jones' lawsuit seeks at least $10 million from the singer's estate and Sony Music Entertainment, claiming the entities improperly re-edited songs to deprive him of royalties and production fees. The music has been used in the film "This Is It" and a pair of Cirque du Soleil shows based on the King of Pop's songs, the lawsuit states.

Jones also claims that he should have received a producer's credit on the music in "This Is It." His lawsuit seeks an accounting of the estate's profits from the works so that Jones can determine how much he is owed.

Jackson's estate wrote in a statement that it was saddened by Jones' lawsuit. "To the best of its knowledge, Mr. Jones has been appropriately compensated over approximately 35 years for his work with Michael," the statement said.

An after-hours message left at Sony Music's New York offices was not immediately returned.

Jackson's hits "Billie Jean," ''Thriller" and "Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough" are among the songs Jones claims were re-edited to deprive him of royalties and his producer's fee.

Jones' lawsuit states the producer's contracts called for him to have the first opportunity to re-edit or alter the songs, in part to protect his reputation.
© 2013 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

midnightman
10-26-2013, 08:26 PM
I hope he gets his money.

jobeterob
10-27-2013, 01:57 AM
Sounds like he probably should be compensated; re-editing shouldn't/doesn't deprive him of credit for the work.

jaybs
10-27-2013, 07:05 AM
Personally I find it very sad, re-editing, no, and $10 Million! once again, both sides as bad as each

captainjames
10-27-2013, 09:50 AM
WOW !!! big WOW !!!
I wonder what took so long for this to come to a head.

thomas96
10-27-2013, 11:06 AM
Personally I find it very sad, re-editing, no, and $10 Million! once again, both sides as bad as each

I agree, this whole situation is just sad.

smark21
10-27-2013, 01:18 PM
Well a contract is a contract and a smart business person makes sure that the contract is being adhered too. If the contract with Quincy Jones stated he was owed the money and he’s not getting what’s owed, then he should take all necessary measures.

midnightman
10-27-2013, 03:12 PM
Well a contract is a contract and a smart business person makes sure that the contract is being adhered too. If the contract with Quincy Jones stated he was owed the money and he’s not getting what’s owed, then he should take all necessary measures.

That estate is not fair at all. Neither is Sony. It's sad that they haven't paid Quincy his money. Howard Weitzman ought to be ashamed of himself.

jobeterob
10-27-2013, 08:02 PM
It makes no legal sense to me that the original producer would not be paid when the work was re-edited. Ashford and Simpson got paid for the two very different versions of Ain't No Mountain High Enough. Re-edited work would be more similar.

jaybs
10-28-2013, 05:15 AM
WOW !!! big WOW !!!
I wonder what took so long for this to come to a head.

Greed! money is the root of all evil!

marv2
10-28-2013, 05:47 AM
I wonder if this all was developing before Michael passed away?

Jerry Oz
10-28-2013, 08:17 AM
Greed! money is the root of all evil!
It's actually the love of it that is the root of all evil. I side with Quincy in this one. It's not like he's owed most of what was made, just the producer's share. It's easy to say that he's being money hungry, but it was the other side that decided that business norms should be ignored. Pay the man his percentage! You're still making a ton of money from his and Michael's efforts.

soulster
10-28-2013, 10:48 AM
A ruling in Jones' favor could start a precedence. Radio stations routinely edit songs to their liking.

jobeterob
10-28-2013, 12:57 PM
Radio play is paid for differently than sale though. I can't really understand how a record company/artist can edit their songs and not pay the producer. There isn't a lot of logic to that.

soulster
10-28-2013, 02:27 PM
Radio play is paid for differently than sale though. I can't really understand how a record company/artist can edit their songs and not pay the producer. There isn't a lot of logic to that.

When Rhino Records was releasing tons of CDs in the 90s, their chief engineer used to routinely re-edit songs to match, or closely match the single version. He would create fades where they weren't originally. reissue labels such as Eric Records also do this. On top of that, in the 70s and 80s, the record label would routinely make single edits without the input of the producer or artist. There were never royalties paid in those instances, either. Again, it seems Q had this in his contract.

This is why a settlement or ruling in his favor could set a precedence.

midnightman
10-28-2013, 06:26 PM
I wonder if this all was developing before Michael passed away?

It probably was. I heard Michael didn't like Quincy. Walter Yetnikoff once wrote that MJ was jealous of the attention Quincy was getting and he tell anyone, including Walter himself, that HE [[Michael) produced it, which was quite ridiculous to state since he only wrote four songs on there and Rod Temperton wrote one of his biggest signature tunes [[the title track). Matter of fact Rod hardly gets credit for what he did for both Off the Wall and Thriller, the two albums that defined MJ's career. So it wouldn't surprise me.

midnightman
10-28-2013, 06:28 PM
A ruling in Jones' favor could start a precedence. Radio stations routinely edit songs to their liking.

It's not about radio though. Quincy's suing due to them editing songs on album re-issues and musical plays so I don't know about a precedent. They were saying the same thing about starting a precedence during the AEG Live case claiming if it had ruled on Jackson's family's favor, it would've "changed things". I guess that's a Jackson analogy. You do something and all of a sudden, it's landscape changing, it's kinda ridiculous at this point. Just my opinion. I say "pay the producer".

skooldem1
10-28-2013, 06:43 PM
“Quincy has been frustrated with these matters for a number of years, felt he was not making any progress and needed to take more formal action," says Henry Gradstein, his attorney.

More detailed information can be found at this link:

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/5770549/quincy-jones-files-lawsuit-over-michael-jacksons-music

marv2
10-28-2013, 07:06 PM
It probably was. I heard Michael didn't like Quincy. Walter Yetnikoff once wrote that MJ was jealous of the attention Quincy was getting and he tell anyone, including Walter himself, that HE [[Michael) produced it, which was quite ridiculous to state since he only wrote four songs on there and Rod Temperton wrote one of his biggest signature tunes [[the title track). Matter of fact Rod hardly gets credit for what he did for both Off the Wall and Thriller, the two albums that defined MJ's career. So it wouldn't surprise me.

I noticed Quincy didn't show up at his funeral.

stephanie
10-28-2013, 07:17 PM
This is so sad. I dont think its anything against Michael Im sure this is a Sony issue. I have heard some people say that MJ liked attention and would manipulate people. When it comes to Quincy Jones he is not broke I dont think Im sure he is owed some monies or he would not be coming out like this. Remember there are a lot of creditors MJ didnt pay when he was living.

soulster
10-28-2013, 08:23 PM
I noticed Quincy didn't show up at his funeral. Means nothing. Some people don't do funerals.

jobeterob
10-29-2013, 02:50 AM
Quincy Jones has filed a $10 million breach-of-contract lawsuit in connection with Michael Jackson projects released after the singer's death.

The legendary producer who has won 27 Grammy Awards and produced the King of Pop's best-selling albums including "Off the Wall," "Thriller" and "Bad," is going to war with Sony Music Entertainment and MJJ Productions, a song company controlled by the icon's estate. At issue are works including the "This is It" film and soundtrack album, the Michael Jackson Cirque du Soleil productions and the 25th anniversary edition of the "Bad" album.

In a complaint filed on Friday in Los Angeles Superior Court and obtained by The Hollywood Reporter, Jones alleges that master recordings he worked on were wrongfully edited and remixed so as to deprive him of back-end profit participation. Jones also asserts that he has been denied credit for his work on the singer's posthumous releases and that MJJ and Sony have entered into side deals taking profits that should have been included in the calculation of royalties.

“Quincy has been frustrated with these matters for a number of years, felt he was not making any progress and needed to take more formal action," says Henry Gradstein, his attorney.

Jones made agreements with Jackson in 1978 and 1985 for work on the singer's solo albums. The contracts are said to have stipulated that Jones be given the first opportunity to re-edit or re-mix any of the master recordings, that the coupling of master recordings with other recordings required his prior written consent and that he be given producer credit for each of the master recordings. The deal also entitled the producer to additional compensation -- including upfront payment and a "backend" percentage -- in the event of remixed masters.

After the producer was hired, Jackson signed a recording agreement with Epic Records, a subsidiary of Sony. The record deal entitled Jones to payments, credit, the approval of biographical material and regular accounting. Jones contends that he is a third-party beneficiary of this recording agreement.

After Jackson's death on June 25, 2009, the King of Pop had a resurgence of popularity, and the executors of his estate and those who had control over his work attempted to exploit the public's appetite for new works. That October, Columbia Pictures released "This is It," from AEG Live and The Michael Jackson Company, which showed preparations for what would have been the singer's last concert tour. Two years later, Cirque du Soleil premiered a traveling theatrical show entitled "Michael Jackson: The Immortal Tour," which has grossed an estimated $300 million to date. This past May, Cirque du Soleil came out with a new production entitled "Michael Jackson: One." Soundtracks for both the film and the Cirque du Soleil productions have also been released.

The film and its soundtrack included re-edits of songs like "Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough," "She's Out of My Life," "Thriller," "Beat It," "Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'," and "Billie Jean." The Cirque du Soleil production and album included re-edits of many of those songs as well as "Burn the Disco Out," "Workin' Day and Night," "Baby Be Mine" and more.

Jones says the terms of his deal were breached when MJJ allowed third parties to exploit these works "without first providing a reasonable opportunity to Jones to perform such re-mixes and/or re-edits."

Then, the complaint goes into "clandestine agreements" allegedly made that had the effect of reducing Jones' royalties.

The lawsuit states Jones' belief that the Jackson parties "secretly entered into a venture agreement with Sony" where Sony and the Jackson Label would share profits. But Jones also alleges that rights to the master recordings "reverted from Sony to MJJ" and albums featuring the performances of Jackson were "distributed by the Jackson Label, instead of Sony, including albums embodying one or more of the Masters."

Thus, the defendants are charged with an effort to "divert" revenues to MJJ and "disguise" the revenues as "profits" instead of "royalties."

According to the lawsuit, "By removing such Disguised Royalties from the pool of revenues upon which Jones' royalties are calculated, MJJ purposely reduces the royalties… payable to Jones under both of the Agreements."

The lawsuit alleges another secret agreement between Sony and producers of the "This is It" film. Sony-owned master recordings were licensed, but the deal allegedly "divides the compensation payable to Sony into one portion designated for the master use licenses [[the "Master Use License Fees") and another portion paid directly to MJJ [[the "Additional Fees").

This is another way that Jones figures he's been deprived of royalties due to him , and it's further said that "the Master Use License Fees do not represent the fair market value, negotiated in good faith, to license the masters used in the Film."

Quincy Jones is targeting at least $10 million in damages for breach of contract, and less specifically, he wants unpaid royalties due to him, re-mixing fees that would otherwise have been paid, and compensation for the loss of the value of credit he would have received. He's also demanding an accounting.

The Michael Jackson Estate responded by saying it "was saddened to learn that Quincy Jones has filed a lawsuit seeking money from Michael's estate. To the best of its knowledge, Mr. Jones has been appropriately compensated over approximately 35 years for his work with Michael."

This article first appeared as an exclusive on THR.com.

jaybs
10-29-2013, 07:39 AM
This is so sad. I dont think its anything against Michael Im sure this is a Sony issue. When it comes to Quincy Jones he is not broke I dont think Im sure he is owed some monies or he would not be coming out like this. .

I have nothing against Quincy, and I have full respect him, but the greed is going for the estate of Michael, it was Sony and not the estate that re-edited and released these albums/

Jerry Oz
10-29-2013, 10:06 AM
Jaybs, the estate profited from whatever Sony did, so they should be on the hook if the courts decide he's right.

midnightman
10-29-2013, 07:15 PM
I have nothing against Quincy, and I have full respect him, but the greed is going for the estate of Michael, it was Sony and not the estate that re-edited and released these albums/

The estate and Sony are in cahoots with each other. In fact, after Tommy Motolla left, Michael was all of a sudden "alright" with working with Sony again. Once MJ died, the estate began working with Sony on how to release MJ product so they're just as guilty as Sony. This is not greed. It's only $10 million, I'm sure Quincy is worth more, it's not about getting richer, it's about getting ripped off, which is what Quincy is alleging. And I definitely feels he is getting ripped off.

midnightman
10-29-2013, 07:18 PM
This is so sad. I dont think its anything against Michael Im sure this is a Sony issue. I have heard some people say that MJ liked attention and would manipulate people. When it comes to Quincy Jones he is not broke I dont think Im sure he is owed some monies or he would not be coming out like this. Remember there are a lot of creditors MJ didnt pay when he was living.

MJ allegedly had beef with George Michael and Terence Trent D'Arby. All three released product at the same time. Terence claimed MJ sabotaged his sophomore record after his first had done well. George was only cordial with Michael but I read a story that the two didn't really get along either and MJ was jealous of George selling more with "Faith" than MJ was selling with "Bad" at the time in the U.S. MJ definitely wanted the attention on him and he manipulated anyone to get what they had [[like the ATV catalog).

soulster
10-30-2013, 11:46 AM
MJ allegedly had beef with George Michael and Terence Trent D'Arby. All three released product at the same time. Terence claimed MJ sabotaged his sophomore record after his first had done well. George was only cordial with Michael but I read a story that the two didn't really get along either and MJ was jealous of George selling more with "Faith" than MJ was selling with "Bad" at the time in the U.S. MJ definitely wanted the attention on him and he manipulated anyone to get what they had [[like the ATV catalog). I've read similar stories about MJ's jealousy and vindictiveness.

Roberta75
10-30-2013, 12:27 PM
I've read similar stories about MJ's jealousy and vindictiveness.

I think Michaels chronic drug addiction and inflated ego made him real insecure and a tad paranoid imo. The entire Jackson family especially Papa Joe and the brothers seem to be motivated by greed and are always after a fast buck imo.

Mr Quincy Jones deserve his money as his work made the Michael Jackson and Sony real rich.

Roberta

Roberta75
10-30-2013, 12:29 PM
Jaybs, the estate profited from whatever Sony did, so they should be on the hook if the courts decide he's right.

Amen Jerryoz. You summed it up beatifully.

Roberta

jobeterob
10-30-2013, 02:33 PM
The estate is in the hands of trained professionals; they've made a bundle and probably charged a lot for it too.

midnightman
10-31-2013, 06:44 PM
I think Michaels chronic drug addiction and inflated ego made him real insecure and a tad paranoid imo. The entire Jackson family especially Papa Joe and the brothers seem to be motivated by greed and are always after a fast buck imo.

Mr Quincy Jones deserve his money as his work made the Michael Jackson and Sony real rich.

Roberta

Right. Everyone wants to forget about Michael's behavior since he died. [["He can't defend himself", they say lmao) But the guy definitely had an ego trip and a drug/alcohol problem. I think what motivated Joe to make the Jackson 5 succeed was to get money and to not live in Gary. He wanted to live in Hollywood for the longest time. He got Katherine to marry him because he said he was gonna be a boxer [[even claiming he was in the Golden Gloves, but that was proven false). Then he tried his hand at a music career but when he performed the type of music he did with his little group, blues music was starting to fade out in time for rock and roll to come in so no one was interested. Then when he saw his children, namely his six-year-old son MJ, showcasing some level of talent, he decided to put his hand into making the sons' careers happen and treated MJ as the golden goose [[which he was to them for 43 years).

Greed motivated Joe and destroyed that entire family, especially a family that had its set of demons. MJ never was really honest about his own life or even his alleged crimes. I think he had a guilty conscience.

Anyway, back to Quincy, yeah he definitely deserves his money for the facts you pointed out.

midnightman
10-31-2013, 06:45 PM
I've read similar stories about MJ's jealousy and vindictiveness.

Yeah. Even within his own family. And he once told MTV to announce him as "the king of pop" before they aired "Black or White". He told Bob Jones to tell media outlets to call him "the king of pop, rock and soul" a couple years before that and had Liz Taylor say it in exchange for diamonds.