PDA

View Full Version : NY store Barney's, and NYPD discriminate against Black customers

test

soulster
10-25-2013, 05:42 PM
http://www.nbcnews.com/business/black-customers-claim-discrimination-barneys-new-york-police-8C11459907

Jerry Oz
10-25-2013, 07:32 PM
After throwing your money away for a $349 belt or a $2500 purse, why complain about them taking your dignity too? There are more sad things in that story than just the racist pigs and store employees.

marv2
10-25-2013, 07:34 PM
I would never set foot in Barney's again! Of course their CEO is going to apologize now..........because they have gotten caught1 Up until, he's never said a word about their "policy" that he was most definitely aware of......

No dice!

Jerry Oz
10-25-2013, 07:37 PM
How do you like their declaration on Facebook that they never called the cops? I wonder who did? And then the CEO admits it... They are so used to getting away with it the bullshit comes easily.

144man
10-25-2013, 07:39 PM
It would be interesting to find out how many white customers have been stopped by police after making expensive purchases.

marv2
10-25-2013, 08:07 PM
How do you like their declaration on Facebook that they never called the cops? I wonder who did? And then the CEO admits it... They are so used to getting away with it the bullshit comes easily.

This is why it is so important at this late date in time that people stand up and say "Hell no, we won't go.......to Barneys!" Not just African Americans, but all people that believe in civil rights for everyone.

marv2
10-25-2013, 08:08 PM
It would be interesting to find out how many white customers have been stopped by police after making expensive purchases.

I would bet good money that number could be counted on one finger! The middle one.......LOL! These things just do not happen to white customers.

splanky
10-26-2013, 06:48 AM
I've heard about these two cases from friends and though I hope both get the justice they
deserve I remain a bit divided by each. I say that because I've never been the kind of person
that much into fashion. I like my clothes to fit and be clean but I never got into the label
and name chasing that most of my peers, family and friends, probably most of America
is so hype on. I do realise in some cases I have followed a brand, for instance Lee and Wrangler make the best denim jeans to me, but the extremes some folks go to go completely over my head. Like the son of a friend of mine who will put down 100 bucks
for basically the same fabric I spend 19.99 for only because 50 cents name is on his...
Besides I know there are a lot of other institutions and businesses in New York that practice
racist policies more detrimental to our young folks than Barney's...

soulster
10-26-2013, 09:21 AM
After throwing your money away for a $349 belt or a $2500 purse, why complain about them taking your dignity too? There are more sad things in that story than just the racist pigs and store employees. No, that is NOT the issue! It does not matter what people choose to do with their money if they can afford it. If a white person bought those items, no one would have questioned it. No one would care if the parties "threw their money away" on such subjectively frivolous things. This is America, and it is one's right to do with their money as one pleases, even if you or I do not see any value in those items.

Methuselah2
10-26-2013, 11:08 AM
http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/4164823/

soulster
10-26-2013, 06:55 PM
Looks like since cops can't do stop and frisk anymore, they are doing it in stores. Same thing, really. This will hopefully hit harder because Macy's is in almost every major city in the U.S., and this happened to a Hollywood actor.

Jerry Oz
10-27-2013, 02:04 PM
No, that is NOT the issue! It does not matter what people choose to do with their money if they can afford it. If a white person bought those items, no one would have questioned it. No one would care if the parties "threw their money away" on such subjectively frivolous things. This is America, and it is one's right to do with their money as one pleases, even if you or I do not see any value in those items.
They can do whatever they want with their money; it belongs to them. The point that I was making is that they gave it away [[in my opinion) and instead of being grateful for someone's conspicuous purchase [[again, in my opinion), the store pissed on them and begged them to not shop there ever again. Stevie had it right: "You might have the cash but you cannot cash in your face. You're not welcome in here." That might as well be Barney's [[and a lot of other businesses') motto towards us.

soulster
10-28-2013, 10:50 AM
They can do whatever they want with their money; it belongs to them. The point that I was making is that they gave it away [[in my opinion)... That's not how your last post sounded.

Jerry Oz
10-28-2013, 12:37 PM
I said there were many things wrong with the situation. The first thing is the harassment. Among the others is the fact that they put a lot of money in somebody's coffers that turned around and spit on them. If that is not a description of throwing your money away, then what is?

soulster
10-28-2013, 02:36 PM
I said there were many things wrong with the situation. The first thing is the harassment. Among the others is the fact that they put a lot of money in somebody's coffers that turned around and spit on them. If that is not a description of throwing your money away, then what is? First, the buyers had no idea they were going to be profiled and arrested as a result.

And, again, it's no one's business what one chooses to do with their money as long as it isn't illegal and does not hurt anyone.

What is interesting to me is what the victims did with the merchandise they bought after their ordeal. I can't imagine they would want to wear or use them. They would not only be a constant reminder of what their experience was after buying the item, but the fact that they wound up giving money to these people. Let's not even talk about the PD actually arresting and incarcerating them

Jerry Oz
10-28-2013, 06:00 PM
Consider the fact that we only know about the ones who were bold enough to publicize it. You know this happens all the time in stores besides Barneys. I had an economics professor a couple of years ago who insisted to me that there was no systemic racism or discrimination at banks or successful businesses because they exist to make money and they don't matter who gives it to them. According to him, the government forced banks to lend money to unqualified Black people and that's what caused the Great Recession. Until that remark, I was interested in him and his class. After that, I didn't even want to hear from him anymore.

soulster
10-28-2013, 08:29 PM
I also suspect some people are getting their revenge for Obama being re-elected. Hatred of the President, and Black people goes that deep.

Jerry Oz
10-29-2013, 08:14 AM
I get that vibe from those on the so-called lower rungs of society who feel that they can't lay claim to superiority by virtue of the country being run by someone like them. I think that the upper echelons haven't appreciated the fact that we aren't slaves anymore since we were emancipated, so Barneys and Marshall Field couldn't care less who the president is: He is no more welcome than he was before.

I've also long held the belief that people like the Koch Brothers know that the easiest way to keep people from banding together to get a bigger piece of the pie is to make sure they have some reason to stay apart. Race is the dumbest possible reason, but damn if it isn't the one that works. Remember, Martin Luther King was turning his attent to class when he was murdered and that's the cart that cannot be upset in the US.

soulster
10-29-2013, 10:44 AM
I get that vibe from those on the so-called lower rungs of society who feel that they can't lay claim to superiority by virtue of the country being run by someone like them. I think that the upper echelons haven't appreciated the fact that we aren't slaves anymore since we were emancipated, so Barneys and Marshall Field couldn't care less who the president is: He is no more welcome than he was before.

I've also long held the belief that people like the Koch Brothers know that the easiest way to keep people from banding together to get a bigger piece of the pie is to make sure they have some reason to stay apart. Race is the dumbest possible reason, but damn if it isn't the one that works. Remember, Martin Luther King was turning his attent to class when he was murdered and that's the cart that cannot be upset in the US. I'm just suggesting a possible concise motive based on things I see and hear all the time. Sure discrimination has always happened, but the mind of a racist is twisted.

Jerry Oz
10-29-2013, 12:29 PM
QFT. I'm amazed by it all and don't even try to explain my point of view anymore. I remember when Preident Obama was elected, people congratulated him for being the first Black elected president. I'm proud of him and all, but it's not like there haven't been hundreds who could have served in that capacity, so we need to congratulate America for inching toward tolerance. Another example is when an announcer boasted that the head official of a BCS football bowl game was the first Black referee in a bowl game. "Congratulations!", he said. For what? Being Black? Congratulate the racist world of college athletics for getting over it; there have been scores of deserving Black officials who were denied his opportunity.

What I'm trying to say is that it amazes me that race has ever been something to focus on. I am proud of George Washington Carver's genius, but I cannot lay claim to being an agrarian prodigy because he and I have the same skin color [[more or less). I'm just as proud of Alexander Graham Bell [[I am an American, as well) but does that mean that I can do what he did? People need to get over race. How fucking sad that somebody came into some loot and decided to treat themselves to something special and the pigs and store owners had to try to put them in their place. Go out and arrest a crook. There's plenty of them and they come in all colors, shapes, and sizes.

soulster
10-29-2013, 06:18 PM
How fucking sad that somebody came into some loot and decided to treat themselves to something special and the pigs and store owners had to try to put them in their place. Go out and arrest a crook. There's plenty of them and they come in all colors, shapes, and sizes. You nailed it! This is exactly what it's all about. They are going to make Black people pay for being Black.

milven
10-30-2013, 06:11 PM
shop at barney's and you're black,
there's a chance you'll never go back !!!