PDA

View Full Version : The FLOS you cant hurry love.

test

Roberta75
10-25-2013, 04:08 PM
I love the dresses and it looks like a real nice big crowd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEGY_KN_lyI#t=47https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEGY_KN_lyI#t=47

Enjoy.

Roberta

jobeterob
10-25-2013, 05:46 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEGY_KN_lyI#t=47https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEGY_KN_lyI#t=47

Huge crowd.

jillfoster
10-25-2013, 10:16 PM
What a vocal train wreck. Joyce looks amazing, though.... she SO doesn't belong there. I'm gonna say it, Diane is the only Supreme that can sing that song and have it come out RIGHT. Mary can make it sound "Ok", all others versions are like listening to the Ethel Merman disco album.

antceleb12
10-25-2013, 10:44 PM
I have to agree. The ladies look great, but the vocals are a mess. Hard to get that perfect sound from the record with anyone else.

marv2
10-25-2013, 10:50 PM
They do not sound very good in my opinion.

marv2
10-25-2013, 11:17 PM
I noticed this video is titled "The Supremes "You can't hurry love" - Jazz à Vienne 2013".

luke
10-26-2013, 10:21 AM
They all sound like they have colds, yikes. Joyce should hjave sung lead. She's probably thinking it's time for find Telma and Pam for some FOD action.

smark21
10-26-2013, 11:12 AM
Seems like The FLOS and the band fall out of synch, especially when Lynda assumes the lead. More rehearsal was needed. You Can’t Hurry Love is one Supremes song that’s never worked for me live, no matter if it’s Diana or Mary, or whoever singing it. I seem to recall The Dixie Chicks did a country cover of it about 10 years ago—that wasn’t bad, but who knows how it worked live.

supremester
10-26-2013, 03:50 PM
I think, after reading this thread, it sounded better than I expected. I liked Lynda's vocal - considering the arrangement and the younger audience is digging it. I agree with smark that this song did not work live- until Miss Ross' new arrangement that she is currently doing. It's better than it has ever been live and, as a purist, I approve of and enjoy it. Back in the day, it was so awful live that they often took it out and after about 18 months, was gone for good. Amazing since it was their biggest hit since Baby Love. Mary's vocal on this, to me, is always uber annoying. Her best Supremes' hit vocal is definitely Bad Weather - she really rocks it.

rod_rick
10-26-2013, 08:04 PM
I think, after reading this thread, it sounded better than I expected. I liked Lynda's vocal - considering the arrangement and the younger audience is digging it. I agree with smark that this song did not work live- until Miss Ross' new arrangement that she is currently doing. It's better than it has ever been live and, as a purist, I approve of and enjoy it. Back in the day, it was so awful live that they often took it out and after about 18 months, was gone for good. Amazing since it was their biggest hit since Baby Love. Mary's vocal on this, to me, is always uber annoying. Her best Supremes' hit vocal is definitely Bad Weather - she really rocks it.

Mary can be hit or miss on "You Can't Hurry Love" but when she's on there' no stopping her. Lynda sound flat imo she just do too much for me. Lynda would sound so much better if she stuck to the original melody and kept it simple. I thought Scherrie was pretty good just needed to scale back her Scherrie vocal infliction just a bit because she can sound like a country singer. The best version I've heard from the Flos is with Jean or Sundray singing lead. Mary's best Supreme vocal I feel is My World Is Empty Without You really she rock that song the best.

jobeterob
10-26-2013, 09:44 PM
Why was it such a big crowd? This is a Diana style size crowd.

jillfoster
10-26-2013, 10:24 PM
Seems like The FLOS and the band fall out of synch, especially when Lynda assumes the lead. More rehearsal was needed. You Can’t Hurry Love is one Supremes song that’s never worked for me live, no matter if it’s Diana or Mary, or whoever singing it. I seem to recall The Dixie Chicks did a country cover of it about 10 years ago—that wasn’t bad, but who knows how it worked live.

One problem is that Diana is really the only one who sings that song on the top of the beat. It has a very "urgent" guitar figure and cadence, so singing right on top of the top of the beat, and riding the song like a wave is what is required to make it sound as it should. And it HAS sounded good live, right here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQvCci9txEg

Singers need not worry about runs or volume or phrasing really, this song is ALL about the tempo and the groove. And Diane just knows how to put it right in the pocket.

jillfoster
10-26-2013, 10:39 PM
Mary can be hit or miss on "You Can't Hurry Love" but when she's on there' no stopping her. Lynda sound flat imo she just do too much for me. Lynda would sound so much better if she stuck to the original melody and kept it simple. I thought Scherrie was pretty good just needed to scale back her Scherrie vocal infliction just a bit because she can sound like a country singer. The best version I've heard from the Flos is with Jean or Sundray singing lead. Mary's best Supreme vocal I feel is My World Is Empty Without You really she rock that song the best.

Mary can turn it out at times. Here she really does it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68Cz0UNbhtc

and it's because she finds that groove and STAYS IN IT. Once these women start boppin their heads when singing this song, then you know it's gonna sound good. However, had I been backstage when Mary was preparing to come on with that damn tutu.. I'd have spilled something on it, accidentally thrown it in the dumpster [[It does look like packing material) or I would have just said to he "your'e not gonna wear THAT, are you?" That outfit is tragic.

marv2
10-26-2013, 10:42 PM

Mary does an incredible job with "My World Is Empty Without You" and "Stoned Love" [[with her current band supporting her.) I also especially like when she sings "Come See About Me" and "Reflections".

marv2
10-26-2013, 10:53 PM
Mary Wilson sings, "My World Is Empty Without You"!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Az6TjQhQzt8

marv2
10-26-2013, 11:11 PM
....and I absolutely love it when Mary performs, "Love Is Like An Itching In My Heart!" It becomes nothing but a party LOL!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdsvBIlgHoE

rod_rick
10-26-2013, 11:19 PM
Mary does an incredible job with "My World Is Empty Without You" and "Stoned Love" [[with her current band supporting her.) I also especially like when she sings "Come See About Me" and "Reflections".

Would love to hear what Mary sound like now doing Stoned Love, it was too fast back in the day. I also wish she would slow down Reflection because I believe she could really work that song if she did. BTW that outfit Mary wore was in back then but you are right somebody should have hid it from her LOL.

One thing I can say about the tribute groups [[not SOS) is they stay very close to the original melody of the songs, that's where the Flos fall short. I've notice that Scherrie is pulling back on some of those songs, wish Lynda would also, because when they stick to the melody they sound pretty good.

smark21
10-27-2013, 01:14 PM
The main reason why live versions of You Can’t Hurry Love don’t work for me is not the vocal, but the band behind the singer. None of them are as good as the musicians in the Hitsville studio when the music was recorded. There was just a musical alchemy for that session [[or sessions). Also, I don’t think You Can’t Hurry Love is a song that really works, lyrically, for any of the Supremes these days. They’re all around 70 and are too old for the story being told in the song. The song is best suited for a young person to sing.

As for Mary on Diana and Jean led songs—my faves are My World is Empty and when she did Stoned Love at Coney Island in 2011. She also does a nice job with Reflections.

supremester
10-27-2013, 02:09 PM
Marv is right in that Mary is doing a great job on these three examples, I haven't been this lucky when I've seen her but really, I prefer her as a balladeer. She didn't exactly energize the crowd on YCHL. Theres no question that she has grown into an excellent performer with confidence and authority - quite unlike her solo stints in the 70's. , I just don't find her voice pleasing on these songs. Lyrically? It was at least in the top 4 biggest records The Supremes ever had so I don't care about that - most of them are that type of song. Let's face it: If The Marvelettes came out and sang something like My Daddy Knows Best - wouldn't you wet your pants? I agree 100% about that funk bros session: it just created this magic that, when speeded up and toyed with, doesn't exist. The initial impact YCHL song had on the radio that summer WAS magical. Had the album not come out so early, I'm certain sales on the single would have doubled.