PDA

View Full Version : The Supremes The Final Session,The Mary Cindy Scherrie and Susaye years,

test

Pages : [1] 2

REDHOT
10-28-2010, 09:11 PM
The Supremes The Final Session,The Mary Wilson Cindy Birdsong Scherrie Payne and Susaye Greene years, I'v been hearing good things about this cd set. I hope some live songs are included from The Supremes[[Mary Scherrie Susaye) farewell show.
Please stay positive

supremesouluk2
10-29-2010, 03:30 AM
This a truely a set worth it's weight in gold!

Koach
10-29-2010, 04:06 AM
I plan to get it as well... can't wait! :)

smark21
10-29-2010, 07:53 AM
What year do you think it will get released? Will it be released before or after Mary's Holland Bros. CD?

captainjames
10-29-2010, 08:56 AM
I think I read somewhere on here that Susaye said we are in for a few surprises, so we may well be on for a treat.

topdiva1
10-29-2010, 11:54 AM
Would it not be great for these four to team up and do at least one great show together - perhaps in VEGAS.

REDHOT
11-02-2010, 03:08 AM
Or maybe, come on stage with Mary, And do a song. What a treat that would be, I can dream, if i want to. [[smile)
Please stay positive

REDHOT
01-02-2011, 12:33 AM
I'v heard the release date for THE SUPREMES THE FINAL SESSIONS,THE MARY WILSON CINDY BIRDSONG SCHERRIE PAYNE and SUSAYE GREENE YEARS, Is sometime in April ,Of this year 2011,Any more news ?
Please stay positive

luke
01-02-2011, 06:00 PM
Susaye posted here not too long ago about hopes for a reunion and urged folks not to be negative.

tomato tom
01-02-2011, 06:09 PM
Is this actually, finally, eventually..being released???????? Are there enougth fans still alive out there to buy it? im hanging on, just..Paulo XXXX

jobeterob
02-01-2011, 01:14 AM
Susaye posted the following on Facebook:

Just got back from seeing the Supremes "Final Sessions" artwork. You guys are going to scream, it is so beautiful!!! I'm not kidding; it is the gorgeousness!

detmotownguy
02-01-2011, 03:51 PM
Topdiva: Great idea! It would be nice to see the the final four [[MSCS) in concert! I did enjoy the the last two albums; especially High Energy with Susaye on lead. With the right promotion and advertising, this might be a successful event in a smaller forum. Expanding the idea with Jean would add an interesting element to the whole idea and add to the probability of making some decent money. I would be suprised if Mary would participate for more than a couple of shows. Obvioulsy she still wants that DMC "reunion" that will never happen, but this could be very interesting because of all the talent. The players all seen to get along, in fact I think Miss Susaye mentioned somewhere that she and Mary email jokes back and forth-or something like that.

However, when I was in Vegas over the holidays, all I heard was that business was off twenty percent in both 2009 and 2010. I attended the Sienfeld show and it was not sold out-so that may tell us something. I believe he usually sells out.

Anyway.....great idea!

REDHOT
02-08-2011, 10:08 AM
From what i heard,before SUSAYE join THE SUPREMES,SCHERRIE did the lead,on High Energy,I also heard,that SUSAYE did a lead,on I'm gonna,let my heart,do the walking,if this is true,i hope these tracks are included,in the set THE SUPREMES THE FINAL SESSION,THE MARY WILSON CINDY BIRDSONG SCHERRIE PAYNE and SUSAYE GREENE YEARS.
Please stay positive

topdiva1
02-08-2011, 10:40 AM
plaIt will be interesting to see how much - if any - truely new material will be included - I understand that the planned artwork could be redesigned or changed by request of someone ???????

detmotownguy
02-08-2011, 05:56 PM
Is Susaye doing the artwork? She is an excellant artist!

marv2
02-08-2011, 06:43 PM
plaIt will be interesting to see how much - if any - truely new material will be included - I understand that the planned artwork could be redesigned or changed by request of someone ???????

She's not back yet. hehehehehehe.....!

REDHOT
02-09-2011, 07:47 PM
I do know that Mary,is writing something on the liner note's,on THE SUPREMES THE FINAL SESSION,THE MARY WILSON CINDY BIRDSONG SCHERRIE PAYNE AND SUSAYE GREENE YEARS SET.
Please stay positive

theboyfromxtown
02-09-2011, 07:54 PM
Redhot

Can I ask how you know please. Are you actively working on the project?

REDHOT
02-11-2011, 06:44 AM
No,[[theboyfromxtown)i'm not working on the project,THE SUPREMES THE FINAL SESSION,This is how i know,when i saw Mary Wilson's live show here,in Los Angeles Ca,at The Catalina Jazz Club,[[9-2-2010)Mary gave me,and a friend that info,she knows how much,i love THE SUPREMES,From the 70s,that's why she let me know, about the liner note's.
Please stay positive

theboyfromxtown
02-11-2011, 06:54 AM
Thank you REDHOT. Good on Mary

I am sure the guys at Universal will be real happy that Mary has contributed. Let's hope they are able to use what she was able to provide them.

blueskies
02-11-2011, 09:28 AM
No,[[theboyfromxtown)i'm not working on the project,THE SUPREMES THE FINAL SESSION,This is how i know,when i saw Mary Wilson's live show here,in Los Angeles Ca,at The Catalina Jazz Club,[[9-2-2010)Mary gave me,and a friend that info,she knows how much,i love THE SUPREMES,From the 70s,that's why she let me know, about the liner note's.
Please stay positive

Did Mary happen to mention anything about that 'forthcoming' CD? Where IS IT?

theboyfromxtown
02-11-2011, 12:17 PM
Blueskies....I wanna know about that cd too.

jobeterob
02-11-2011, 12:31 PM
I guess we can see that at least for the Scherrie Payne years, things are moving along; Susaye is out there talking publicly about it which is encouraging. I'm sure we will see it sooner or later. It appeals to a very small market, a small niche, is a real specialty item in a day when CDS are dieing ~ they should take their time and make it very special. There aren't going to be many more items like it, so we should savour it.

With respect to Mary Wilson's CD ~ even Aretha Franklin has no deal with a record company; she can't get her new CD off the ground either. If Aretha Franklin isn't going to do it, Mary's market is perhaps 2% of Aretha's. It will be something that is self generated, self promoted to her fan base only. It might happen, it might not. Mary is in no different position than all the female singers from her era ~ which means she needs all the luck she can get if she wants to put out another CD. I'm not even sure it should be a priority. Continuing to work while she can and while she wants to seems a better bet.

blueskies
02-11-2011, 01:15 PM
I'd have to agree with you Rob. It's just that it seemed to be right at our doorstep last summer. Mary even had it on her website that it was to be released within a few weeks. Then, poof! Gone from her web site and hasn't been mentioned since? So close....yet so far away! Hopefully someday! In the meantime, looking forward to the Scherrie Payne years. Good things are worth waiting for.

REDHOT
02-11-2011, 02:25 PM
With the release of,THE SUPREMES THE FINAL SESSION THE MARY WILSON CINDY BIRDSONG SCHERRIE PAYNE and SUSAYE GREENE YEARS,I'm hoping there's a release party,like the one for THE 70s SUPREMES ANTHOLOGY,That was sooo much fun,CINDY JEAN LYNDA SCHERRIE and SUSAYE were there,I just MARY had been there.
Please stay positive

REDHOT
02-28-2011, 04:04 AM
I just hear that,there will be no picture of,THE SUPREMES[[Mary Cindy Scherrie Susaye),on the cover of, THE FINAL SESSION,cd coming April 2011,is this true?
Please stay positive

pj1
03-04-2011, 10:51 AM
From today's MusicTap:

Hip-O Select will release Let Yourself Go: The ’70s Albums, Vol 2, 1974-1977: The Final Session featuring The Supremes [[CD/DD) on May 17.

thommg
03-04-2011, 05:16 PM
Glad to see that this finally has a release date. There is some great music in these final sessions and it will be wonderful to finally be able to hear it again.

jobeterob
03-04-2011, 07:18 PM
No picture? How many Supremes were there from 1974 to 1978? Mary, Scherrie, Susaye?? Were Lynda and Cindy and Jean in there too? Is that the reason for no picture?

aarondillon2011@gmail.com
03-04-2011, 07:31 PM
Well, it took about 30 years since cd's became available and about 4 and half years since the last 70's Supremes box set for these albums to finally see the light of day for a cd release. Let's hope it wont get delayed again.

juicefree20
03-04-2011, 09:06 PM
Detmotownguy is correct. Business in Vegas & other places has been horrible over these last 2 years. This recession hit corporate folks hard & usually, the first thing to go are the perks for their clients, including tickets for these type of shows.

But The Supremes are a unique case & I'm sure that if the RIGHT people get behind a tour such as this, given the history & allure, I believe that it would be huge!

Given the hue & cry which surrounded "Dreamgirls", there are young people who are aware of The Supremes. If handled correctly, I believe that a Supremes reunion is viable & could be extremely profitable, that is, as long as greed & exorbitant ticket prices are not pushed.

But most importantly, the participation of Diana is paramount. There's no way that this would ever work without Diana.

Of course the key to this is everyone giving just a little & appreciating the fact that none are those 20 year-olds any longer.

Diana has been doing her thing solo since 1970 & Mary's been doing her thing for decades as well. Given that the huge hits featured Diana's voice prominently, it's natural that she would get the lion's share of the songs. But I also believe that Mary would have to be allowed her turn to shine as well. How to integrate any potential leads for Mary, is the one sticking point in that equation. While the diehards remember those LP cuts which featured Mary, the casual fans don't & that could prove to be a problem.

Either way, there's enough interest to make this profitable for all & more than that, in today's world where the internet & Twitter reign supreme, this could easily be hyped, sold & be a success.

But will it happen? I seriously doubt it, but for all of the loyal Supremes fans, it's a one-in-a-lifetime thing & for them, I'd really love to see this happen. It would be historic & perhaps provide a sense of closure & a climax that I believe most of them need.

Hell, it's the stuff that dreams are made of.

juicefree20
03-04-2011, 09:23 PM
Also important would be how to integrate the Mary, Susaye, Scherrie, as well as Jean contributions to the legacy of The Supremes.

I may be in the minority, but my favorite Supremes songs from 1970 forward are "Everybody's Got The Right To Love" & "Let My Heart Do The Walking". How many songs would the post-Diana Supremes be able to perform & how would everyone here set up a songlist if such a reunion were to take place?

I believe that you couldn't do a show like this with the songs being performed chronologically, as Susaye, Scherrie & Jean would be missing for the opening section of the show, then Diana would be missing from the end portion. Would you have Diana, Mary & Cindy alternate songs with Mary, Susaye, Scherrie & Jean? How would you structure such an event?

Also, given her solo career, would it be appropriate for Diana to be featured in a solo spot, or would it be best for this to remain strictly a "Supremes Thing"?

If you were in charge of handling the song list & set, how would you structure it so that EVERYONE, including the NON-DIEHARDS [[whom would likely purchase the lions share of the tickets) would be satisfied?

Anyone?

jillfoster
03-04-2011, 10:21 PM
Juice, I don't care about Diana's participation. If all we had was Jean, Mary, and Cindy singing on one of TJ's PBS specials, I'd be happy and content. And many other people would be, too. Mary is a fool for not attempting this and holding out for the "big reunion". Because if she DID do one with Jean and Cindy as a one time thing, Diana Would forever look bad to everyone, and the one who isn't willing to go the distance for her fans.

marv2
03-04-2011, 10:28 PM
Juice, I don't care about Diana's participation. If all we had was Jean, Mary, and Cindy singing on one of TJ's PBS specials, I'd be happy and content. And many other people would be, too. Mary is a fool for not attempting this and holding out for the "big reunion". Because if she DID do one with Jean and Cindy as a one time thing, Diana Would forever look bad to everyone, and the one who isn't willing to go the distance for her fans.

I was going to say that! You beat me to it! LOL!!!!

juicefree20
03-04-2011, 11:03 PM
Now remember that I said that I wasn't speaking about the hardcore fans.

I liked The Supremes when Diana was with them, as well as after she left. Admittedly, while I own Supremes LPs after her departure, the hits from their glory days are what the mainstream people remember the most.

I was 4 when they exploded so I never had the chance to prefer one over the other, but even at that age, I thought that Mary was beautiful, followed by Flo & they were definitely my choice. But I was too young to get wrapped up in the feuds that came 20 years afterwards. I tended to think of The Supremes as a unit, so to me, whether Diana was the dominant lead or not mattered not to me. I loved a group named THE SUPREMES & due to that, I liked them as a unit.

I never thought of them in terms of being glamorous, nor was I ever caught up in their wigs, gowns or any of that. So likely due to my age & having a different way of looking at it than their most hardcore fans, I've been able to separate myself from the dramas that have led to some much internet & chatroom angst between the fans of both camps.

In all honesty, I believe that all of the insults, fighting & hard feelings between the fans has only served to make any reunion a virtual impossibility. Perhaps had fans simply bowed out & not stoked the fires which were the equivalent to picking sores before they healed, perhaps these ladies could've found a way to mend the fences. But when you have so many people pot-shotting & fans carrying stories back & forth for more than 2 decades, the ladies have likely never had an extended period without someone reminding them of who said what & who did what about whom.

I'd argue that this has been a very big factor in why the fans haven't & aren't getting the reunion that they want. I also believe that so much has been said & done for so long, that not even money is a big enough lure for some to get this done.

But even the most hardcore Supremes fan as to recognize that Diana is the most visible & most recognizable Supreme to the casual or even average fan. I like Mary, have seen her perform a few time in recent years & I don't judge her as harshly as many fans seem to. I don't expect her to sound as she did 40 years ago & I am also well-aware of her history & how events might've once played with her confidence.

It takes a lot of courage to step out of the shadows, going from primarily a supporting role to being the star of your own show & I give her credit for doing that. With that said, the reality is that the type of people who would be inclined with putting a show like this together are not interested in mere star power. They're interested in MEGA-STAR POWER. They want the highest profile artists, as well as those whom possess that charisma & electricity that makes these events "MUST-SEE" & water cooler talk.

Which is why we always see every Adam, Justin & Boy George whenever one of these huge "events" take place. The people funding these events realize that the hardcore fan is going to view or purchase tickets regardless. They're trying to dig into the pockets of the other 90% of the population whom are casual fans, whom aren't into the history of the music, nor the groups. Those folks are into the songs & the huge stars whom they all know.

Diana fits that category to a "T".

For them, the math is simple...

The Supremes
- Diana Ross
= NO SHOW!

It disappoints me to say that, but for the casual music fan, a great man said it quite accurately...

"No one cares kid..."
- Sonny LoSpecchio - "A Bronx Tale"

"Except for the hardcore fans amongst us & that sucks!"
- Juice - "SDF"

johnjeb
03-05-2011, 12:33 AM
I wasn't disappointed to hear that Diana was leaving The Supremes, as a matter of fact I was eagerly awaiting the day.

Although their television performances were generally exciting their recordings after Reflections were hit and miss. I felt that the group format was no longer the right place for Diana. I also felt that she was overshadowing the group that I loved. So the split felt right for me.

I, too, think that a reunion of Mary, Cindy and Jean would be nice. Mary could be the opening act and The JMC Supremes could be the second act. If that is successful then Mary could have a reunion tour with Scherrie and Susaye. Just like Martha used to tour with different Vandellas, Mary could have various Supremes join her when she does her oldies shows.

As much as I would love it, a reunion of DMC would seem forced and awkward. I prefer not to witness that.

REDHOT
03-05-2011, 06:22 AM
Thanks PJ1,for the info,on the release date,[[05-17-2011)THE SUPREMES LET YOURSELF GO THE FINAL SESSION,THE MARY WILSON CINDY BIRDSONG SCHERRIE PAYNE and SUSAYE GREENE YEARS,Again i hope theres a promo party for the CD.
Please stay positive

selbmarsh2000
03-05-2011, 01:14 PM
I hope there's a release party as well. I was at the 70's Supremes CD party in LA and it was very cool.

jobeterob
03-05-2011, 02:13 PM
Where was the release party for the other one?

I've never been to anything like that and I'd love to go.

Maybe Andy can tell us something about it and I can make a trip!

I wonder why there is no picture on the cover.

selbmarsh2000
03-05-2011, 04:14 PM
Where was the release party for the other one?

I've never been to anything like that and I'd love to go.

Maybe Andy can tell us something about it and I can make a trip!

It was at the Archlight complex in LA. This was in 2003. Cindy, Jean, Lynda, Scherrie and Susaye where there. It was a lot of fun. Even Ru Paul showed up. Freddi Poole was there as well.

REDHOT
03-05-2011, 08:41 PM
The late great,former TEMPTATION OLLIE WOODSON,and SCHERRIE'S SISTER,FREDA PAYNE, was also there, i just wish MARY,had been there.if the release party happens,for THE SUPREMES LET YOURSELF GO THE FINAL SESSION,let's hope that MARY CINDY SCHERRIE AND SUSAYE,ALL WILL BE THERE.
Please stay positive

pj1
03-05-2011, 09:07 PM

If there is no picture on the cover, perhaps it was the lovely ladies' decision as all 4 were not formally in the group together [[although we can hear all 4 on High Energy sessions).
And, yes, I realize that the Jean Terrell years set's cover did not feature Lynda Lawrence, but her tenure was shortest within the group.
Or perhaps there is no photo because one of the artistically inclined Supremes may have designed or suggested a special cover.

selbmarsh2000
03-05-2011, 09:07 PM
The late great,former TEMPTATION OLLIE WOODSON,and SCHERRIE'S SISTER,FREDA PAYNE, was also there, i just wish MARY,had been there.if the release party happens,for THE SUPREMES LET YOURSELF GO THE FINAL SESSION,let's hope that MARY CINDY SCHERRIE AND SUSAYE,ALL WILL BE THERE.
Please stay positive

You must have got to go the big party. Lucky! I was at the CD signing part. There were a lot of fans there. Jean seemed really touched by all the people that showed up. It was so cool to get to meet them. I had never met Cindy, Jean or Lynda. I spoke to Susaye on the phone and e-mailed her. This was my first time meeting her. I even called my husband to talk to her. She is just a doll. I met Scherrie once before. Hope to get to see them all again.

jobeterob
03-08-2011, 12:05 AM
Susaye Greene
THE SUPREMES - LET YOURSELF GO: THE 70S ALBUMS VOL.2 - THE FINAL SESSIONS
May 17th! Hurray! and Bravo!

carlo
03-08-2011, 12:11 AM
Yes! This is great news! Now I'm hoping this will be the FINAL release date for the FINAL sessions. :)

REDHOT
03-18-2011, 03:54 PM
What's this, i hear about a June release date ?if this is true,about THE SUPREMES LET YOURSELF GO,THE FINAL SESSION,The Mary Wilson Cindy Birdsong Scherrie Payne and Susaye Greene years,i think it's great news.
Please stay positive

hwume
04-01-2011, 10:33 AM
Sneak peek!
http://twitter.com/#!/HipOSelect/status/53561591379144704

Yes, it's real.

carlo
04-01-2011, 11:00 AM
Yipppeeeeeeeee!!!!!

mr_postman
04-01-2011, 11:16 AM
Whoopee! Looking great. Thanks for the sneak peek Harry!

carlo
04-01-2011, 02:06 PM
Yes!! Pardon my rudeness! Thank you HW for sharing that sneek peak!! It's beautiful!! Can't wait! This will be part of my graduation gift to myself. lol.

longtimefan
04-01-2011, 02:52 PM
Thank you for sharing, Harry. So many of us are looking forward to this set!!!! When both Scherrie and Susaye recently commented about the quality of the design, I KNEW it would be terrific. Additionally, I am so pleased that it "matches" Volume One [[book format) and that for economic reasons it wasn't scaled down.

Of course, the MUSIC is the important part! I anticipate that being wonderful, too.

longtimefan
04-01-2011, 02:54 PM
Thank you for sharing, Harry. So many of us are looking forward to this set!!!! When both Scherrie and Susaye recently commented about the quality of the design, I KNEW it would be terrific. Additionally, I am so pleased that it "matches" Volume One [[book format) and that for economic reasons it wasn't scaled down.

Of course, the MUSIC is the important part! I anticipate that being wonderful, too.

chestersong
04-01-2011, 07:44 PM
Hope to see a track list soon. How does Hip-O ship these days? Is it still slow service or did that improve?

REDHOT
04-01-2011, 07:47 PM
From what i hear,there's no picture of THE SUPREMES on the cover,that's no big deal,i'll be happy to have,THE SUPREMES THE FINAL SESSION LET YOURSELF GO-1974-1977 set,in my hands.[[smile)
Please stay positive

robbert
04-01-2011, 08:16 PM
I love the artwork. Tasteful and simple.
Can't wait to take a sneak preview of the book[[let) that comes with the cd's...

04-01-2011, 09:00 PM
I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!! Such a tease though Harry....I see there are two tracks visible but of course we knew those 2 tracks would be included...LOL

longtimefan
04-01-2011, 09:09 PM
I am very excited --and CURIOUS -- to see the track listing for the three CDs in this set. We all know that the three studio albums are relatively short. If I recall, the total time of all three albums is only about 80 minutes, i.e., equal to one disc in time.

So, that being said, IF they put The Supremes 1975 and High Energy on Disc 1 and Mary, Scherrie and Susaye on the first half of Disc 2, there remains one and a half CDs of time left.

Anyway, as fans, we all know about unreleased tracks:

[[1) Some new tracks were released on The 70s Supremes Anthology and the boxed set [[along with some alternate versions of album tracks).

[[2) A few others have floated around for years [[like Mr. Boogieman, All I Want, The Shoop Shoop Song).

So maybe "unreleased tracks" could fill the second half of Disc 2, leaving a full CD's worth a time left. Unless they include a live show, that leaves space for many, many alternate versions, i.e., the time equal to a full disc 70+ minutes.

Naturally, the tracks that I have listed above could be organized in a different order, but the "available time" issue would be the same, i.e., TONS of time for something other than the three albums and unreleased tracks.

Ideas, anyone?

berry101
04-02-2011, 07:24 AM
Hi All

I've read your posts and comments for several years. A couple of months ago I took the plunge and registered and today , have made my first post.

The artwork looks fantastic but look what I may have uncovered

http://www.mtv.com/music/artist/supremes/albums.jhtml?albumId=2690439

I am proud to be a part of this forum and also be in all of your company

REDHOT
04-02-2011, 08:06 AM
Thank you BERRY101,for sharing this info,on THE SUPREMES MARY,CINDY,SCHERRIE,and SUSAYE.
Please stay positive

kenneth
04-02-2011, 10:58 AM
Hi All

I've read your posts and comments for several years. A couple of months ago I took the plunge and registered and today , have made my first post.

The artwork looks fantastic but look what I may have uncovered

http://www.mtv.com/music/artist/supremes/albums.jhtml?albumId=2690439

I am proud to be a part of this forum and also be in all of your company

Very good find and an impressive first post!

Regarding the track listing, would have been great if there were more unreleased recordings that were first coming out on the set, and not just alternate versions, but naturally this edition of the Supremes likely saw a lot less studio time than the earlier incarnations. It still looks like a fabulous release and I can't wait to get it!

Thanks for your discovery!

chestersong
04-02-2011, 12:26 PM
Looks nice. I wished to have seen more titles I was unaware of. No Miss Cindy led tracks? Guess we shall find out. Maybe this find was a tentative, leaked list?

chestersong
04-02-2011, 12:55 PM
looking at the list provided once again, i only see one song that I don't recognize the title and have yet to hear some version of and that is "I shall never recover".
"seed of love" I have heard very rough recordings of but never the full song. Did another Motown group record these songs; like the Tops or Originals?
Any price yet?

marv2
04-02-2011, 01:13 PM
I like the the track list and thank you Berry01. The only thing I might have included would have been a few live selections from their concerts to spice things up even more.

carlo
04-02-2011, 05:57 PM
Can someone re-post the tracklisting? The link isn't working for me.

stopinthenameoflove
04-02-2011, 06:07 PM
Can someone re-post the tracklisting? The link isn't working for me.

here you go Carlo

01. He's My Man
02. Early Morning Love
03. Where is It I Belong
04. It's All Been Said Before
05. This is Why I Believe In You
06. You Can't Stop a Girl In Love
07. Color My World Blue
08. Give Out, But Don't Give Up
09. Where Do I Go From Here
10. You Turn Me Around
11. The Shoop Shoop Song [[It's In His Kiss)
12. The Sha-La Bandit [Version]
13. Color My World Blue [Version]
14. Mr. Boogie
15. Dance Fever
16. Seed of Love
17. Give Out, But Don't Give Up [Version]
18. You Can't Stop a Girl In Love [Version]
19. Bend a Little [Version]
20. I Can Never Recover
21. Can We Love Again
22. Where Do I Go From Here
23. The Sha-La Bandit [Version]
24. He's My Man [Version]
25. High Energy
26. I'm Gonna Let My Heart Do the Walking
27. Only You [[Can Love Me Like You Love Me)
28. You Keep Me Moving On
29. Don't Let My Teardrops Bother You
30. Till the Boat Sails Away
31. I Don't Want To Lose You
32. You're What's Missing In My Life
33. High Energy [Original Terrana Mix]
34. I'm Gonna Let My Heart Do the Walking [Original Terrana Mix]
35. Only You [[Can Love Me Like You Love Me) [Original Terrana Mix]
36. You Keep Me Moving On [Original Terrana Mix]
37. Don't Let My Teardrops Bother You [Original Terrana Mix]
38. Till the Boat Sails Away [Original Terrana Mix]
39. I Don't Want To Lose You [Original Terrana Mix]
40. You're What's Missing In My Life [Original Terrana Mix]
41. There's Room At the Top [Version]
42. You're What's Missing In My Life [Mary Wilson Lead Version] [Version]
43. I'm Gonna Let My Heart Do the Walking [Susaye Greene Lead Version]
44. You're My Driving Wheel
45. Sweet Dream Machine
46. Let Yourself Go
47. Come In To My Life
48. We Should Be Closer Together
49. I Don't Want To Be Tied Down
50. You Are the Heart of Me
51. Love I Never Knew You Could Feel So Good
52. Give Out, But Don't Give Up [Mary Wilson Lead Version] [Version]
53. High Energy [Version]
54. I'm Gonna Let My Heart Do the Walking [Version]
55. Only You [[Can Love Me Like You Love Me) [Version]
56. You're What's Missing In My Life [Scherrie Payne Lead Version] [Version
57. You're My Driving Wheel [Version]
58. Sweet Dream Machine [Version]
59. Love I Never Knew You Could Feel So Good [Version]

carlo
04-02-2011, 06:15 PM
Thank you stopinthenameoflove! Much appreciated. I think I wasn't able to view the tracklisting because certain content on the MTV website is blocked in other non-U.S. countries.

This looks promising. Looking forward to hearing the original Terrana mixes and the unreleased Susaye Greene leads. I wonder if the Terrana mix of "Till the Boat Sails Away" is the Cindy Birdsong version?? I was hoping it would have been included. Then again, no one seems to have been totally sure if the Cindy version was a demo recorded before or after she left the group. If it was recorded after she left [[ie. in the 80's in preparation for her solo career), then I guess it would make sense not to include it on this set. If that's the case, maybe Motown/UMG doesn't even own the master tape for Cindy's lead.

I was also expecting more "original" unreleased tracks as well. It is what it is. Like someone else mentioned, there probably isn't a whole lot of unreleased tracks from this period. I'll take what I'm given. Regardless, still looking forward to having this on CD. The packaging looks beautiful. Can't wait!

Maybe the original Terrana mixes are the versions that were recorded before Susaye did her overdubs?? That sounds interesting.

johnjeb
04-02-2011, 06:28 PM
stopinthenameoflove, thanks for posting the track listing. I, also, couldn't view the track listing for this CD, although I could see it for all the others on the MTV site. I am in the US so I don't know what the issue was. Looking forward to this release. Thanks, again.

carlo
04-02-2011, 06:29 PM
AND to have TWO remastered versions of "Color My World Blue"!!!!! I think I just wet my pants!!!!!!!

carlo
04-02-2011, 06:37 PM
I've been in a big 70's Supremes mood lately. I think I will have Disc 2 of the 70's Anthology on repeat for the next two months until this set is in my hands!! :D

carlo
04-02-2011, 06:40 PM
I also thought MSC had recorded their own version of "All I Want"??? They performed it on Sonny & Cher. Didn't they lip-sync to a studio track?

copley
04-02-2011, 07:13 PM
Mmm, 59 tracks but only 34 songs!

Kamasu_Jr
04-02-2011, 07:25 PM
Mmm, 59 tracks but only 34 songs!
I thought the same thing and if the TRACK listing is correct, only 4 TO 8 PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED tracks not on CD before, JUST VARIATIONS OF SOME SONGS.

floyjoy678
04-02-2011, 07:47 PM
definitely cant wait to hear susaye on lead for "im gonna let my heart do the walking"

luke
04-02-2011, 07:50 PM
Of course I will wait for confirmation of the above but Im a bit disappointed-Cindy leads,outtakes...? Not enough interesting stuff for me-really depends on the price. I have 75% of the stuff and money tight. This pales next to stuff I read about others big release eg Smile by the Beach Boys etc. I still am very happy they are putting it out though.

chestersong
04-02-2011, 08:06 PM
The Terrana mixes could very well be just the voices of cindy and mary and scherrie. That would be great.
"all i want" is a recording done for the tv show by other producers; not motown. just like the jean ones from tv shows that sound like they have Lawrence Welk singers for the background. flip wilson show was famous for this.

REDHOT
04-02-2011, 08:47 PM
Cindy Birdsong recorded,Till the boat sails away, after she was no longer with THE SUPREMES,I also heard that Scherrie had did the lead on High Energy,before Susaye join THE SUPREMES,now i would love to hear that,but again, i'll take what i can get.[[smile)
Please stay positive

jillfoster
04-02-2011, 09:24 PM
Thank you stopinthenameoflove! Much appreciated. I think I wasn't able to view the tracklisting because certain content on the MTV website is blocked in other non-U.S. countries.

This looks promising. Looking forward to hearing the original Terrana mixes and the unreleased Susaye Greene leads. I wonder if the Terrana mix of "Till the Boat Sails Away" is the Cindy Birdsong version?? I was hoping it would have been included. Then again, no one seems to have been totally sure if the Cindy version was a demo recorded before or after she left the group. If it was recorded after she left [[ie. in the 80's in preparation for her solo career), then I guess it would make sense not to include it on this set. If that's the case, maybe Motown/UMG doesn't even own the master tape for Cindy's lead.

I was also expecting more "original" unreleased tracks as well. It is what it is. Like someone else mentioned, there probably isn't a whole lot of unreleased tracks from this period. I'll take what I'm given. Regardless, still looking forward to having this on CD. The packaging looks beautiful. Can't wait!

Maybe the original Terrana mixes are the versions that were recorded before Susaye did her overdubs?? That sounds interesting.

From what I've heard... this is pretty much all there is. I don't think there is any more unreleased songs.

luke
04-02-2011, 10:14 PM
Then whats the point?? The booklet?

Motown Andy
04-02-2011, 10:39 PM
Hello everyone,

I must say, I was surprised to see the track list up this morning. The "official" announcement has not yet come, nor has the "official" release date. That said, since the track list has been posted, I thought now would be a good time to clarify what is and isn't on the collection. I'd like to add that we are all very excited about this set, and all that is included inside. It was a collaborative effort, with generous involvement from each of the Supremes, as well as many of those behind the scenes from the era. We are all so very proud of the finished product.

First, the track list:

Disc 1

The Supremes
1. He’s My Man
2. Early Morning Love
3. Where Is It I Belong
4. It’s All Been Said Before
5. This Is Why I Believe In You
6. You Can’t Stop A Girl In Love
7. Color My World Blue
8. Give Out, But Don’t Give Up
9. Where Do I Go From Here
10. You Turn Me Around

The Supremes Sessions and more
11. The Shoop Shoop Song [[It’s In His Kiss)
12. The Sha-La Bandit Alternate Version 3
13. Color My World Blue Alternate Version
14. Mr. Boogie
15. Dance Fever
16. Seed Of Love
17. Give Out, But Don’t Give Up Group Lead Version
18. You Can’t Stop A Girl In Love Early Version
19. Bend A Little Extended Version
20. I Can Never Recover
21. Can We Love Again
22. Where Do I Go From Here Single Remix
23. The Sha-La Bandit Alternate Version 1
24. He's My Man Extended Version

Tracks 11-20 previously unreleased

Disc 2

High Energy
1-8: Released LP Mix; 9-16: Russ Terrana Mix
1/9. High Energy
2/10. I’m Gonna Let My Heart Do The Walking
3/11. Only You [[Can Love Me Like You Love Me)
4/12. You Keep Me Moving On
5/13. Don’t Let My Teardrops Bother You
6/14. Till The Boat Sails Away
7/15. I Don’t Want To Lose You
8/16. You’re What’s Missing In My Life

The High Energy Sessions:
17. There’s Room At The Top Alternate Version
18. You’re What’s Missing In My Life Mary Wilson Lead Version
19. I’m Gonna Let My Heart Do The Walking Susaye Greene Lead Version

Tracks 11, 12 and 14-19 previously unreleased

Disc 3

Mary, Scherrie & Susaye
1. You’re My Driving Wheel
2. Sweet Dream Machine
3. Let Yourself Go
4. Come Into My Life
5. We Should Be Closer Together
6. I Don’t Want To Be Tied Down
7. You Are The Heart Of Me
8. Love I Never Knew You Could Feel So Good

Additional Supreme Alternates:
9. Give Out, But Don’t Give Up Mary Wilson Lead Version
10. High Energy Alternate Version
11. I’m Gonna Let My Heart Do The Walking Alternate Version
12. Only You [[Can Love Me Like You Love Me) Alternate Version
13. You’re What’s Missing In My Life Scherrie Payne Lead Version
14. You’re My Driving Wheel Alternate Version
15. Sweet Dream Machine Alternate Version
16. Love I Never Knew You Could Feel So Good Alternate Version

Tracks 9-16 previously unreleased

Prior to the release of the track list, we knew there would be a few questions fans would ask, and sure enough in the 12+ hours since the word got out, they've already started asking, so I'd like to address two of them here:

1. Where are the Cindy Birdsong leads? Cindy did not record any leads during this era. There are demos she recorded after leaving the group, using tracks from High Energy, but they were not recorded during her time with the group. Although bootlegs exist, they were not intended for release. They are also not in the Motown vault.

2. Why no Drury Lane show? The show is neither in the Motown vault, nor was it available to us for this collection.

Many other questions are answered inside the booklet. And it is beautiful. Stunning. We feel very confident about this collection and look forward to the fans receiving it, and enjoying it for years to come. The Supremes were the #1 female act of all time, and it is truly an honor to release these three final albums on CD for the first time, along with some AMAZING bonus tracks. I personally can't wait for you to hear them! I am so incredibly excited, I don't think I can express it in words!!!

I've been discussing going on Midnight Johnny's show in a week or two. We'll let you know when we've nailed down the date. I'll try to give some insight into the package, and maybe we can give you a few previews. :)

Lastly, I'd like to thank George Solomon and Harry Weinger here, as they both also post to SDF, and each worked tirelessly to make this package as special as it is. We don't do it alone, and the last page in the booklet gives special thanks to the many people who worked very hard on this package, we also give thanks to each and every one of them, and to all of you who pushed so hard to keep this project alive during the many delays.

And, don't forget, it's the Supremes 50th Anniversary this year, there is more to come.

Andy Skurow

04-02-2011, 11:06 PM
Andy you said 11, 12 and 14-19 previously unreleased. Does this mean we wont get most of the High Energy album in original mix?

Disc 2

High Energy
1-8: Released LP Mix; 9-16: Russ Terrana Mix
1/9. High Energy
2/10. I’m Gonna Let My Heart Do The Walking
3/11. Only You [[Can Love Me Like You Love Me)
4/12. You Keep Me Moving On
5/13. Don’t Let My Teardrops Bother You
6/14. Till The Boat Sails Away
7/15. I Don’t Want To Lose You
8/16. You’re What’s Missing In My Life

The High Energy Sessions:
17. There’s Room At The Top Alternate Version
18. You’re What’s Missing In My Life Mary Wilson Lead Version
19. I’m Gonna Let My Heart Do The Walking Susaye Greene Lead Version

robbert
04-03-2011, 12:26 AM
Aaron, as I understand it: the High Energy album in original mix are the tracks no. 1-8.

jillfoster
04-03-2011, 03:55 AM
I'm definately getting this....this is the one i've been waiting for. I think the cover looks lovely, the font is especially nice. That picture of Mary, Scherrie and Cindy at what looks like the Grand Canyon is just about worth the price of admission alone! Of course, the one I'm REALLY waiting for was Mary's lead on "Give Out, But don't Give Up". It will be interesting to see if this will sound more like the bootleg version wev'e heard, or if the horns are added to it [[Personally, I like it better without the horns). Glad to finally have confirmation on the Cindy leads. I've heard both ways, but more people than not have told me that these are just demos she recorded when she worked in Suzanne Depasse's office in the early 80's. And I never expected any Drury Lane stuff.... being a BBC radio property. And we have good quality copies of that floating aruond anyway... we don't need precious release space taken up with stuff like that. the only thing I am wondering about is High Energy [[the song)... I had heard there is a Scherrie lead on it, and surely I thought there would be, considering the album was completed before Susaye hit the group. I have a sneaking suspicion that the original "Terrana Mixes" are the original album before Susaye's overdubs, containing only Mary, Scherrie, and Cindy. If so, that would be a DELIGHT! Russ told me once in an email that overdubs were done by someone else... and he never even worked with Susaye, so I'll bet that's what these are.

theboyfromxtown
04-03-2011, 04:58 AM
The Drury Lane concert was recorded for Capital Radio and not the BBC. I guess it's a little harder to license under those circumstances.

captainjames
04-03-2011, 09:40 AM
To Andy Skurow, George Solomon and Harry Weinger thanks for your undying efforts and for making this happen. Without you this product would have probably never seen the light of day. Sometimes I think "we" the fans forget how much work is put forth to bring us these recordings especially since there may not be a BIG overwhelming market for them. At any rate perhaps there should also be a SUPREME award to you for always keeping us smiling. Thanks a million !!!! And as always I know this was a gift of love from you to us.

luke
04-03-2011, 10:07 AM
Thanks Andy-did Mary and Cindy also go into Universal to give input?

jillfoster
04-03-2011, 10:13 AM
The Drury Lane concert was recorded for Capital Radio and not the BBC. I guess it's a little harder to license under those circumstances.

It was??? WOW John, that's new to my ears.... I always heard that it wasn't even RECORDED..... that it was a simulcast on BBC radio.

04-03-2011, 12:27 PM
My bad....I understand the track list now :-)

theboyfromxtown
04-03-2011, 04:10 PM
jillfoster

I have the concert programme showing that it was promoted by Capital Radio . Now if I was technically clever, I would post it here but I aint! The point I wanted to bring up was that since Capital Radio's broadcasting area was London and the surrounding areas, I was having to record it onto a cassette for folks outside the area. Originally when it was broadcasted, there were only excerpts from the show, then there was a second time when Cindy was promoting "Dancing Room" and different excerpts were included. I don't remember recording later broadcasts so I am not sure I actually have the full show. It might have been offered for sale by the Carl Feubacher Fan Club and that reminds me, many of those alternate versions from High Energy were available to members from that club....although only on cassette. I kept all those newsletters, being the hoarder that I am [[LOL), I should check back.

carlo
04-03-2011, 04:22 PM
Where are the Cindy Birdsong leads? Cindy did not record any leads during this era. There are demos she recorded after leaving the group, using tracks from High Energy, but they were not recorded during her time with the group. Although bootlegs exist, they were not intended for release. They are also not in the Motown vault.

Thank you for confirming this, Andy. This is what I figured.

I'm wondering if you guys ever came across a version of "All I Want" by MSC in the vaults?? Just curious. :o

May can't come soon enough!!! TWO VERSIONS OF COLOR MY WORLD BLUE!!! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

carlo
04-03-2011, 04:24 PM
I also don't understand how the tracklisting and cover art leaked out before the official announcement? I found the cover art on another music forum and then the tracklisting surfaced on MTV.com. I guess everybody is just too excited to keep it secret! [[smiles)

chestersong
04-04-2011, 12:18 AM
I have the concert programme showing that it was promoted by Capital Radio . Now if I was technically clever, I would post it here but I aint! The point I wanted to bring up was that since Capital Radio's broadcasting area was London and the surrounding areas, I was having to record it onto a cassette for folks outside the area. Originally when it was broadcasted, there were only excerpts from the show, then there was a second time when Cindy was promoting "Dancing Room" and different excerpts were included. I don't remember recording later broadcasts so I am not sure I actually have the full show. It might have been offered for sale by the Carl Feubacher Fan Club and that reminds me, many of those alternate versions from High Energy were available to members from that club....although only on cassette. I kept all those newsletters, being the hoarder that I am [[LOL), I should check back.

that fan club is where I received my "plant the seed of love" version; and yes, the HIGH ENERGY outtakes and alternates.
Good memory! I had forgotten. "early morning love" appeared on the FREE SOUL-MEMORY compilation CD.

jack020
04-04-2011, 02:39 AM
And, don't forget, it's the Supremes 50th Anniversary this year, there is more to come.

Andy Skurow

I wonder what this wiil be!

dickiemint
04-05-2011, 07:00 PM
Where have I seen the 'Butterfly' Supremes design before? is it new for this set or was it on another 70's Supremes release

carlo
04-05-2011, 07:11 PM
To Andy Skurow, George Solomon and Harry Weinger thanks for your undying efforts and for making this happen. Without you this product would have probably never seen the light of day. Sometimes I think "we" the fans forget how much work is put forth to bring us these recordings especially since there may not be a BIG overwhelming market for them. At any rate perhaps there should also be a SUPREME award to you for always keeping us smiling. Thanks a million !!!! And as always I know this was a gift of love from you to us.

YES!! Exactly.:D

carlo
04-05-2011, 07:19 PM
Where have I seen the 'Butterfly' Supremes design before? is it new for this set or was it on another 70's Supremes release

Apparently this design was used for promotional materials for the Jean, Mary, Lynda line-up. Throughout the years, I have seen it used by fan clubs and websites.

chestersong
04-05-2011, 07:21 PM
I blushed some when i saw it being used for this comp. it reminds me of the "Crazy Town" song and the image they used for the CD cover. very risque!

marv2
04-05-2011, 09:07 PM
Apparently this design was used for promotional materials for the Jean, Mary, Lynda line-up. Throughout the years, I have seen it used by fan clubs and websites.

Carlo, that design / logo was created by a fan back in 1972 or there abouts.

REDHOT
04-06-2011, 07:51 AM
I'm really happy with this set,THE SUPREMES THE FINAL SESSION LET YOURSELF GO 1974-1977,THE MARY WILSON CINDY BIRDSONG SCHERRIE PAYNE and SUSAYE GREENE YEARS,but i'll would be, even more happy when i have it in my hands,i would love to see these 4 SUPREMES show up together,to promote it,if it's only one time,if they would only do it,for the love of they're FANS,[[like myself)
no matter what,i'll always LOVE,THE SUPREMES,FROM THE 70s.
Please stay positive

rod_rick
04-06-2011, 08:18 AM
Redhot
All 4 just might. I think it was so much going on with the anthology in 2002 because of lawsuits and trademarks as well as the RTL still fresh on the mind of one particular Supreme.

luke
04-06-2011, 09:15 AM
Yes anything is possible as I've always said--and one particular "Supreme" not involved. Word is Mary and Scherrie have made some peace.

bradsupremes
04-06-2011, 11:22 AM
Aside from the lawsuits, Mary and Scherrie have always been very fond of each other. There have been pictures of them together within the past couple of years. I know there are a few photos of Mary, Cindy & Scherrie together and just recently Scherrie went to support Mary's Upclose Show.

luke
04-06-2011, 05:01 PM
Yes but there was tension which has more recently been more dealth with. They were not fond of each other after RTL-it has taken time to improve.

rod_rick
04-06-2011, 05:32 PM
Yes anything is possible as I've always said--and one particular "Supreme" not involved. Word is Mary and Scherrie have made some peace.

Luke
That's true, Mary & Scherrie have made peace. I'm a witness. Scherrie has attended 2 of Mary's LA California concerts and both times they hugged and spoke backstage. Not what I heard, but what I saw with my own eyes.

skooldem1
04-06-2011, 05:35 PM
Why would Mary have been upset with Scherrie and Lynda for touring with Diana? She had no reason to be. Most of the resentment was probally because of the lawsuites.

marv2
04-06-2011, 06:39 PM
Why would Mary have been upset with Scherrie and Lynda for touring with Diana? She had no reason to be. Most of the resentment was probally because of the lawsuites.

Are you serious?

skooldem1
04-06-2011, 07:58 PM
I would think Mary was more upset with Scherrie and Lynda over the whole FLOS/ lawsuit thing. With RTL she was upset with Diana. But lets not hijack this thread with the negativity of that. This is about the new release.

captainjames
04-06-2011, 08:12 PM
Honestly, off the record Scherrie is just that type of "LADY" as well as Cindy, not a bitter bone in their bodies at least not one shown in public. Truly represent the word Supreme !!!

REDHOT
04-06-2011, 08:33 PM
I agree Skooldem1,this post is about the album, THE SUPREMES LET YOURSELF GO THE FINAL SESSION 1974-1977.
Please stay positive

bradsupremes
04-06-2011, 08:49 PM
Since the tracklist has already been released, which tracks are you most excited to hear?

I cannot wait to hear Susaye's lead on "I'm Gonna Let My Heart Doing The Walking," "Seed of Love," "I Can Never Recover," the group lead of "Give Out, But Don't Give Up" as well as the release of the collection.

chestersong
04-06-2011, 08:53 PM
those you mentioned, but also the original mixes of HIGH ENERGY with Cindy's vocals. And I like the "Color My World Blue" renditions.

carlo
04-06-2011, 08:57 PM
Susaye's leads and the alternate version of Colour My World Blue!!! Also, Seed of Love and I Can Never Recover. It will also be cool to have remastered versions of Mr. Boogieman, It's In His Kiss and Dance Fever.

longtimefan
04-06-2011, 09:03 PM
I cannot wait to hear Susaye's lead on "I'm Gonna Let My Heart Doing The Walking," "Seed of Love," "I Can Never Recover," the group lead of "Give Out, But Don't Give Up" as well as the release of the collection.

Do we know that Susaye is the lead on "Seed of Love" and "I Can Never Recover?"

bradsupremes
04-06-2011, 09:24 PM
I meant I was excited to hear Susaye's lead on "I'm Gonna Let My Heart Do The Walking." "Seed of Love" and "I Can Never Recover" were recorded before Susaye joined the group.

luke
04-06-2011, 10:11 PM
Marv-De Nile isnt just a river in Egypt!

chestersong
04-07-2011, 12:41 PM
Is this "Where Do I Go From Here" clip from Youtube the same "single mix" that is mentioned on the new track-list?
i have this old record but haven't spun it in so long. hard to find now as it was a promo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFZyUlxStJU

and is the alternate "Color My World Blue" the one where Mary has a spoken part in the middle?

tomato tom
04-07-2011, 01:16 PM
OH! Beutiful artwork...Well worth the wait...Paulo xxxx

marxthespot_
04-07-2011, 03:30 PM
I like the artwork of the box, but the logo silhouette of the "butterfly" girls looks more like a logo for a woman's medical clinic. I would have preferred this below:

chestersong
04-07-2011, 03:41 PM
that is what i was trying to say in an earlier post. Your picture is much better and more colorful. that other image is just to problematic and is getting many snickers on the web. mother would not approve and daddy would want to see what's inside the book. will have to hide the cover from the kids!

blkfrost
04-07-2011, 03:55 PM
I am very happy about this release. Now I will have all my 70's Supremes albums together. Looking forward to the original mix of the "High Energy" album. Many of my all time favorite 70's Supremes songs are "You're What's Missing In My Life", "Sweet Dream Machine" and "Love I Never Knew You Could Feel So Good". When I lived in Dayton Ohio during my university years "Love I Never Knew You Could Feel So Good" was used as the closing theme for a local TV evening magazine program. Each night I would turn on the TV just to hear that song. When I moved to San Francisco, the clubs would play that song to death! Thank you to all of the folks who help make this a reality. I can live with the artwork. I really want the music.

marv2
04-07-2011, 04:56 PM
I would think Mary was more upset with Scherrie and Lynda over the whole FLOS/ lawsuit thing. With RTL she was upset with Diana. But lets not hijack this thread with the negativity of that. This is about the new release.

Ok, ok we won't go there right now, but ......oh forget it! LOL!!!

marv2
04-07-2011, 04:57 PM
Marv-De Nile isnt just a river in Egypt!

Don't I know it!

marv2
04-07-2011, 04:58 PM
I like the artwork of the box, but the logo silhouette of the "butterfly" girls looks more like a logo for a woman's medical charity. I would have preferrd this below:

Now that's the sheet! Who ever did that [[artwork) gets an "A"!

BayouMotownMan
04-07-2011, 05:44 PM
After this, if we can get Funny Girl on CD we should just about have everything.

I was ambivalent about a lot of the mid 70s material because it was just too disco. I'd have to say though that the High Energy lp was impressive and has held up well. Mary, Scherrie and Susaye has some great moments [[Sweet Dream Machine, We Should Be Closer Together). But I felt the first lp with Scherrie just had too many divergent songs, as though they were trying to find a sound [[which they were). Color My World Blue is a standout and if the ladies had stuck with dePasse's pick of It's All Been Said Before as the first release, things might have been different. I reiterate...MIGHT have been

BayouMotownMan
04-07-2011, 05:45 PM
Oh, and I'm also glad Mr. Boogie Man is coming out, Mary gets funky and Scherrie and Cindy recreate those Stoned Love "woo's" I love so much. Plant the Seed of Love is another good one, very 70s

johnjeb
04-07-2011, 06:24 PM
marxthespot, nice job!

The butterfly logo has never been a favorite of mine. I was surprised to see it being used for this collection. I don't recall it ever being used by Motown. I just assumed the High Energy graphic would be used, it seemed like the logical and perfect choice.

I think the High Energy graphic is a better fit for the title "Let Yourself Go" than is the rigid appearing butterfly logo.

However, the High Energy graphic might be too colorful or cartoonish for the overall concept. Maybe if the High Energy graphic was a two-tone purple or gray it would best match the minimalist concept used in Volume 1 which is sepia, brown and beige.

Well, at least it isn't a dandelion!

I can see why they don't tell us too much in advance - too many opinions!!!! And we certainly don't need any more delays.

nathanj06
04-07-2011, 06:33 PM
Love the High Energy logo above much better.

BayouMotownMan
04-07-2011, 06:48 PM
As I recall, the Supremes logo was used on Mary Wilson's stationery, and Randy incorporated it with his fan club.

REDHOT
04-07-2011, 08:50 PM
I have to agree,i like the High Energy logo,for the cover better,but like Blkfrost said,just give me the music.no matter what the cover is.
Please stay positive

carlo
04-07-2011, 09:26 PM
that is what i was trying to say in an earlier post. Your picture is much better and more colorful. that other image is just to problematic and is getting many snickers on the web. mother would not approve and daddy would want to see what's inside the book. will have to hide the cover from the kids!

I wasn't sure what you guys meant, so I stared at that artwork for a long time and finally figured out what you guys are talking about! LOL!! You guys are crazy! :D :p

chestersong
04-07-2011, 10:02 PM
The butterfly logo is ok, but it is a bit gynecological. It might have been done for budget concerns or to please the artist who designed the image. i doubt the artist looked at it in "that" way. the image also reminds me of that story Mary told where the three of them got on-stage in a single dress thinking it would be funny to the audience and Mary said the crowd didn't seem to "get it" and the girls got a cold reception. Even the High Energy color pic kinda has a "Charlie's Angels" effect. if they were holding guns.
now everyone is forever gonna see this cover as the vagina monologues set.

marv2
04-07-2011, 11:09 PM
The butterfly logo is ok, but it is a bit gynecological. It might have been done for budget concerns or to please the artist who designed the image. i doubt the artist looked at it in "that" way. the image also reminds me of that story Mary told where the three of them got on-stage in a single dress thinking it would be funny to the audience and Mary said the crowd didn't seem to "get it" and the girls got a cold reception. Even the High Energy color pic kinda has a "Charlie's Angels" effect. if they were holding guns.
now everyone is forever gonna see this cover as the vagina monologues set.

Mary starred in the "Vagina Monolgues" a few years back at the Fox in Detroit.

chestersong
04-07-2011, 11:24 PM
i don't think that helps :)

marxthespot_
04-08-2011, 03:05 AM
Now that's the sheet! Who ever did that [[artwork) gets an "A"!

A little Photoshop and I'll take the "A" - thanks! :)

marv2
04-08-2011, 07:36 AM
A little Photoshop and I'll take the "A" - thanks! :)

marxthespot, you are bad dude!

ExGuyParis
04-08-2011, 10:44 AM
The image also reminds me of that story Mary told where the three of them got on-stage in a single dress thinking it would be funny to the audience and Mary said the crowd didn't seem to "get it" and the girls got a cold reception.

The "one dress, three singers" thing was done in the original Broadway production of Hair. Clearly a tribute to/satire of The Supremes. I was really disappointed that the recent revival dropped that!

Here is a photo from the original production. At the end of the song, "White Boys," they stepped apart revealing that they all were in a single dress!

Emmeretta Marks, Melba Moore, and Lorri Davis

bradsupremes
04-08-2011, 11:11 AM
I've worked with the "Hair Folly" gown as it was called in Mary's inventory. It was only worn once during a performance in Las Vegas. Instead of it being like the own used in the musical Hair, the gown the Supremes wore slipped over their heads. It seemed very difficult to work with and probably why it wasn't used again as they couldn't get out of it before the next song began.

BayouMotownMan
04-08-2011, 12:01 PM
There was NEVER any animosity toward Mary from Scherrie Payne. It's just not in Scherrie's genes to be a hater. She has always given Mary her props for keeping the Supremes going during turbulent times in the 70s, and she has always thanked Mary publically and privately for making her a Supreme.

chestersong
04-08-2011, 05:16 PM
thank you, Brad. we shall just call this FINAL SESSIONS image the "Hair Folly Insignia".

carlo
04-09-2011, 02:20 PM
Thanks to Dan for the heads up! :D The Final Sessions is now available for pre-order from Amazon.com and Amazon.ca!

chestersong
04-09-2011, 03:13 PM
i saw that; got mine ordered. whew! 63 bucks!

luke
04-09-2011, 05:45 PM
Dont want this to get tangential so briefly-after RTL and due to some things that were said there was tension. As I said some peace has been restored. No one said anyone was hating. Just read comments by Scherrie as recently as 2010 with Sharon Davis.

chestersong
04-09-2011, 05:53 PM
maybe someday rtl will be officially put out on disc for the real "final sessions".

kenneth
04-09-2011, 10:52 PM
The set is now available for pre-order on Amazon.com for $62.56, which indicates a modest discount below the list price of $66.99. Of course, the nice thing about Amazon is no shipping and no sales tax [[which many of our lawmakers in Congress are in a fight with Amazon about and trying to change). It also shows the release date to be May 17.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004ORHX00/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Drew P. Nads
04-10-2011, 07:44 AM
I like the artwork of the box, but the logo silhouette of the "butterfly" girls looks more like a logo for a woman's medical clinic. I would have preferred this below:

That's Sheila, Valerie and Helen isn't it?

jack020
04-11-2011, 02:28 AM
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Let-Yourself-Go-1974-1977-Sessions/dp/B004ORHX00/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1302503264&sr=8-1

34,54 UK pounds

carlo
04-11-2011, 11:12 AM
Thanks Jack! Amazon UK has the best price so far. With shipping included, it's less than $50. Can't beat that. Very reasonable.

nathanj06
04-14-2011, 03:01 PM
You can preorder now for 55.39 plus free shipping at amazon.com. :)

hwume
04-16-2011, 03:20 PM
Here is the HipoSelect.com link with the full description, etc. Ignore the "SOLD OUT" notice; it will re-set shortly.

http://www.hip-oselect.com/scr.public.product.asp?product_id=829394E4-CCD3-4E42-9473-0AD19CA4F0B5

04-16-2011, 04:01 PM
Totally made my day :-) I am so freakin excited.....Like a little girl getting a pony.....LOL

chestersong
04-16-2011, 04:38 PM
ME, TOO!!
so can we order today?
WOW Hip-O getting it to us "early". i guess pigs do fly!

kenneth
04-16-2011, 08:45 PM
The set is now available for pre-order on Amazon.com for $62.56, which indicates a modest discount below the list price of $66.99. Of course, the nice thing about Amazon is no shipping and no sales tax [[which many of our lawmakers in Congress are in a fight with Amazon about and trying to change). It also shows the release date to be May 17.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004ORHX00/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Yes, as someone else pointed out, Amazon's price is now a very reasonable $55.39, and they guarantee if you order now and the price drops before release date, you get the still lower price.

carlo
04-16-2011, 10:04 PM
lol. Everybody on Facebook is panicking because they think this set is completely sold out.

chestersong
04-16-2011, 11:13 PM
is the thinking behind this to have it earlier than expected, but pay a penalty?

bradsupremes
04-16-2011, 11:33 PM
Looks like this collection is a hit even before release! It's currently #357 in music sales on Amazon's Bellsellers Rank. It's also #11 in the Oldies category and #15 in the R&B category!

Our ladies still can sell!

midnight johnny
04-17-2011, 07:56 AM
Well...folks may know that Andy Skurow will be on "Nightflight" this Tue, Apr 19th. I've just been listening to the "Final Sessions" promo tracks that Andy sent and that he and Harry have been so generous to allow me to play on Andy's show. I hope you will listen in to hear the pre-release tracks and this special show that spotlights Andy, his fascinating life and the remarkable work he has done on so many of our favorite Universal/Motown releases. Join us on Tue April 19, 9P-12M ET! [[www.womr.org [[http://www.womr.org))
Andy....and Harry...thanks so much!

longtimefan
04-17-2011, 10:43 PM
Help!!! Andy and Harry....

In the Hip-O blurb for this set, it states the following:
Disc Two
Tracks 1-16: High Energy
Tracks 17-19: The High Energy Sessions

This indicates that tracks 9, 10, and 13 must have been released already! I know that track 13 [[Don't Let My Teardrops Bother You) was released on The 70's Supremes Anthology.

My question: Where have tracks 9 and 10 been previously RELEASED, i.e., High Energy [[Russ Terrana Mix) and I'm Gonna Let My Heart Do the Walking [[Russ Terrana mix)?

Many of us are very interested in these Russ Terrana mixes and are hoping that the High Energy track 9 features the Scherrie lead ... but we know it has never been released.

George Solomon
04-17-2011, 11:23 PM
The alternate "High Energy" was on the Greatest Hits And Rare Classics cassette but was an edited single version. THE FINAL SESSIONS includes the full version. The original mix of "I'm Gonna Let My Heart Do The Walking" first appeared with an alternate edit on Greatest Hits And Rare Classics but the full version first came out on a Motown compilation called FUNKOLOGY VOL. 3: DANCE DIVAS.

chestersong
04-17-2011, 11:30 PM
that cassette proved HUGELY important to collectors at the time it came out for several reasons! thank you, George!

longtimefan
04-18-2011, 01:07 AM
Thank you for the information, George.

Therefore, I assume that means that the "High Energy" track on THE FINAL SESSIONS does not feature a Scherrie lead since it is just a full version of the one on GREATEST HITS AND RARE CLASSICS.

I remain puzzled because, apparently, Russ Terrana has stated that he never worked with Susaye and her lead is on this "Russ Terrana Mix" track..

George Solomon
04-18-2011, 11:13 AM
Russ mixed the "High Energy" tapes but that doesn't mean he would have been in the studio when Susaye was recording. And by the way...the original mixes sound great!

russ_t
04-18-2011, 12:43 PM
George is right, I mixed the project but was not in the studio with Susaye. I must say, she sure has a great voice, a real talent.

chestersong
04-18-2011, 01:51 PM
which mix of "I'm Gonna Let My Heart Do The Walking" appeared on the early 80s DRATS CD that came in those long boxes?

chestersong
04-18-2011, 05:02 PM
i see you can order now at the Hip-O site as the "sold out" has been changed to "buy now".

George Solomon
04-18-2011, 05:55 PM
Just to clarify...The version of "I'm Gonna Let My Heart Do The Walking" that Russ mixed was one of the few songs that did NOT get remixed. It just received a new edit for the released album. So it is Russ' mix with an alternate edit that is the hit version that we all know. The 80's CD Anthology included the even shorter single edit.
Inside note to Russ: I'm still waiting to record "She's Only Loose At Night".

chestersong
04-18-2011, 06:42 PM
George, thank you for the clarification on the 80s anthology, and a big thank you for your creative design on the "Rare Classics" CD and cassette versions. they both were certainly aimed at fans and collectors! when can we get alternate version #8 of THE SHA-LA BANDIT where the band members have multi-leads? :)

carlo
04-18-2011, 08:44 PM
I absolutely cannot wait for this release! I pre-ordered mine from Amazon Canada, which has a release date of May 10th, versus the release date of May 17th on Amazon US. Now whether it actually comes in stock and arrives a week earlier is totally another story [[I doubt it). Even though it came out to $70, which is the top list price, I'm willing to pay it because I MUST have this NOW! :cool: Looking forward to the release party/celebration on Nightflight tomorrow evening!

sophisticated_soul
04-19-2011, 03:12 PM
I absolutely cannot wait for this release! I pre-ordered mine from Amazon Canada, which has a release date of May 10th, versus the release date of May 17th on Amazon US. Now whether it actually comes in stock and arrives a week earlier is totally another story [[I doubt it). Even though it came out to $70, which is the top list price, I'm willing to pay it because I MUST have this NOW! :cool: Looking forward to the release party/celebration on Nightflight tomorrow evening!

I can't wait either! LOL!!!! I ordered directly from Hip-O. Estimated street date May 3rd!:cool:

Roberta75
04-19-2011, 03:35 PM
I can't wait either! LOL!!!! I ordered directly from Hip-O. Estimated street date May 3rd!:cool:

How much does it cost please and do you have a link to Hip-O sophisticated_soul?

Thank you.

Roberta

sophisticated_soul
04-19-2011, 03:42 PM
How much does it cost please and do you have a link to Hip-O sophisticated_soul?

Thank you.

Roberta

Hi Roberta, Here's the link [[from Harry's post on page 3 of this thread):

http://www.hip-oselect.com/scr.publi...3-0AD19CA4F0B5

With tax and [[regular) postage it comes to $83.69.

Sorry, I just checked the link and it's not working anymore. Just go to www.hip-oselect.com and look it up under "The Supremes". That should take you to it.

chestersong
04-19-2011, 03:50 PM
wow, and amazon with no shipping charges is at $55 something. that's about $29 less for a two week wait. And how many weeks/years has this release been bandied about? then to think I already have these 3 albums and the bootlegs. life is crazy! :)

tomato tom
04-19-2011, 04:00 PM
If this DOES sell out before I can order, I will be VERY, VERY, VERY PISSED OFF. I have waited all this time, and every site showing sold out????..Paulo xxxx

sophisticated_soul
04-19-2011, 04:03 PM
wow, and amazon with no shipping charges is at $55 something. that's about $29 less for a two week wait. And how many weeks/years has this release been bandied about? then to think I already have these 3 albums and the bootlegs. life is crazy! :)

Yeah, I know I didn't get the best price. But every now and then I like to splurge a bit if it's something I really want right away. Life is crazy, but it's all good!:cool:

sophisticated_soul
04-19-2011, 04:11 PM
If this DOES sell out before I can order, I will be VERY, VERY, VERY PISSED OFF. I have waited all this time, and every site showing sold out????..Paulo xxxx

I don't think selling out will be a problem Paulo, there are copies of Vol. 1 still available.:cool:

theboyfromxtown
04-19-2011, 04:42 PM
Paulo

I think it's on amazon uk.....but you might have to wait a while.

Roberta75
04-19-2011, 05:06 PM
Hi Roberta, Here's the link [[from Harry's post on page 3 of this thread):

http://www.hip-oselect.com/scr.publi...3-0AD19CA4F0B5

With tax and [[regular) postage it comes to $83.69.

Sorry, I just checked the link and it's not working anymore. Just go to www.hip-oselect.com and look it up under "The Supremes". That should take you to it.

Thank you so much sophisticate_soul. I will order it when i get my next paycheck.

Thank you again.

Roberta

thommg
04-19-2011, 05:48 PM
Okay, maybe I heard this story before but I'm getting old and can't remember. Someone, please humor me! Why was the album remixed after Russ mixed it? I imagine the two mixes are mostly different since we are getting both on this release but.... what happened?

sophisticated_soul
04-19-2011, 07:06 PM
Thank you so much sophisticate_soul. I will order it when i get my next paycheck.

I hear that. I'll be eating rice and beans for couple of weeks for this indulgence. LOL! But that's the least of anything I've done for Diana Ross and/or The Supremes over the decades! LOL! Besides I like rice and beans.:cool:

Roberta75
04-19-2011, 07:08 PM
I hear that. I'll be eating rice and beans for couple of weeks for this indulgence. LOL! But that's the least of anything I've done for Diana Ross and/or The Supremes over the decades! LOL! Besides I like rice and beans.:cool:

LOL and I'll be eating boxed mac and cheese for a month but at least we'll have great music.

Roberta

04-20-2011, 01:45 PM
I know the site has a ship date of April 29th but it also says that it is in stock. Does than mean it is actually in stock and will be shipped sooner?

chestersong
04-20-2011, 03:08 PM
my confirmation e-mail from Hip-O said it would arrive 5-2-2011. Now other firends have said they could not order as the site was down again and saying "sold out". very confusing.

blkfrost
04-20-2011, 04:31 PM
I ordered a copy this morning and the email confirmation gives a "estimated street date" of May 3, 2011. Looking forward to this collection.

chestersong
04-20-2011, 05:38 PM
then that must mean it's coming for sure! just a few more days!

Drew P. Nads
04-21-2011, 04:10 PM
I pre-ordered my copy on Amazon UK on March 7th. I might not get it until June, but I'm ready to wait that long! I just pre-ordered the Patrice Holloway cd there too with a date of June 7th.

redlabs
04-23-2011, 08:45 AM
looking forward to this set. i am sure Andy ,Harry and the gang did another outstanding job. cant wai to hear the Russ Terrana Mixs of HIGH ENERGY, what i heard last week ...they sound sooo much better than the disco meets symphony mixs?? never really got it but GONNA LET MY HEART was a great track

144man
04-23-2011, 08:53 AM
Is this going to get an official UK release?

danman869
04-23-2011, 01:52 PM
Um, yeah... http://www.amazon.co.uk/Let-Yourself-Go-1974-1977-Sessions/dp/B004ORHX00/ref=pd_bxgy_m_h__img_a. Amazon UK shows a release date of June 27, 2011.

chestersong
04-23-2011, 01:54 PM
maybe june comes before may in the U.K.----ouch!---:)

144man
04-23-2011, 06:28 PM
Thanks danman.

Ramone Verona
04-25-2011, 01:44 PM
Ordered my copies today. Has anyone heard what the next Supremes project will be? Or Diana Ross project?

chestersong
04-25-2011, 07:34 PM
on the radio preview, Andy just mentioned those projects he'd like to have a hand in. nothing definite announced.

nathanj06
04-27-2011, 05:41 PM
Having re-read some of the comments regarding this set, I still don't get why they chose that horrible butterfly logo for the cover. Besides, wasn't that done during the JML period? Harry and Co. are always right on with the detail of these sets but the picture on page 3 of this forum of the cover is perfect. Sorry guys, I don't get this one.

jeff9nyc
04-27-2011, 05:46 PM
I think there's an expanded version of More HIts By The Supremes on the way. Hope I heard right! Still one of my favorite albums of all time.

luke
04-27-2011, 06:46 PM
Agree nathan--it is a set celebrating The Supremes-why no pic? Dont get it either.

chestersong
04-27-2011, 07:08 PM
Having re-read some of the comments regarding this set, I still don't get why they chose that horrible butterfly logo for the cover. Besides, wasn't that done during the JML period? Harry and Co. are always right on with the detail of these sets but the picture on page 3 of this forum of the cover is perfect. Sorry guys, I don't get this one.
you are right. i was looking at the "This is the story" set, and behind where the discs are placed is that butterfly logo.
It could have been 3 circles once again with nice photos of the three. Lynda wasn't featured on the cover, so Cindy or Susaye could be left off at least the front cover. But the one on page 3, for HIGH ENERGY, seems appropriate.

chestersong
04-27-2011, 07:10 PM
I think there's an expanded version of More HIts By The Supremes on the way. Hope I heard right! Still one of my favorite albums of all time.

one of my favorites, too. that would be great. i didn't hear the entire 3 hour radio interview.

04-27-2011, 09:44 PM
The dates have been changed a tad i see. Site ship date is now May 2nd.

redlabs
04-27-2011, 10:38 PM
huh, its coming a bit earlier? COOL.
i would have went with the High Energy cover artwork but the butterflies are ok for me. i want to hear the music!

Ramone Verona
04-27-2011, 11:03 PM
Earlier shipping from Hip-O or Amazon?

04-27-2011, 11:26 PM
Hip-O :-).

chestersong
04-28-2011, 11:24 AM
originally the "ship date" was 4/29, on friday. now it's been moved to monday, 5/2. seems like another delay?

carlo
04-28-2011, 01:05 PM
originally the "ship date" was 4/29, on friday. now it's been moved to monday, 5/2. seems like another delay?

Perhaps it's due to the Royal Wedding? :D

Ramone Verona
04-28-2011, 01:34 PM
Very Funny :)
Hip-O's clocks are most likely 1/2 hour behind the fans, too! ;)

05-02-2011, 01:23 PM
Anyone get a shipped confirmation yet?

chestersong
05-02-2011, 01:54 PM
not yet. they better not be drinking.

05-03-2011, 02:12 PM
Hmmmmm, maybe another delay? Or are they just now getting everyone's orders together?

Ramone Verona
05-03-2011, 03:20 PM
It's quite disappointing that it's past release day and there is absolutely no buzz over this release. Since Hip-O does not advertise then it's up to fans and internet communications. After so many delays, I'm not surprised this package is DOA.
A few may have gone to a lot of work but this kind of service just snubs it's nose at any creative effort. In the past I've purchased multiple copies of "limited editions". Now I'm "limiting" the purchase to ONE.

RossHolloway
05-03-2011, 03:37 PM
Well Hipposelect has May 2 as the ship date. Cost of 69.98.
Amazon.com has the release date of May 17, cost of 55.55... I guess it pays to be patient.

05-03-2011, 03:50 PM
Ah, the site ship date has now been moved to Friday May 6th for Hipo.

des123
05-03-2011, 05:16 PM
this just came in my e-mail:

Dear Hip O Customer:

We regret to inform you that there has been a small delay in getting The Supremes, "Let Yourself Go: The '70s Albums, Vol 2 - 1974-1977: The Final Sessions" to our warehouse for shipping.

We are expecting the product in the next 1-2 days and will begin shipping the product as soon as it arrives.

Thank you for you understanding and for supporting Hip O Select.
Sincerely,
Online Customer Support

luke
05-03-2011, 05:27 PM
I dont think it's time to get hysterical. The CD has already been on Amazon's charts!!

chestersong
05-03-2011, 05:51 PM
i got the same lame message. exactly one week from their original message which means that nothing will get done until the following monday. and with Amazon at $53.50 last night, plus free shipping, that's a twenty spot that Hip-O doesn't need. if every release with this "business" is handled at a by-the-seat-of-your-pants type planning, then no wonder the discs can have flaws and the booklets can have spelling errors. amazon has the best price so it's no wonder "their" charts are the way they are. it happened with the Anthology on the supremes 70s and it's STILL for sale! hip-o may find out this could be "their" final sessions :[[
they have two days, then i'm amazon bound. twenty dollars is worth it since we're this close to the 17th and this release, as others pointed out in reviews, is mostly alternate sessions.

carlo
05-03-2011, 08:32 PM
I haven't seen the 70's Anthology for sale anywhere. So if you've seen it for sale, please tell me where, because I've been looking for another copy [[and I want new)!

Ramone Verona
05-03-2011, 09:33 PM
Amazon US has them. Last I saw, there were 14 new ones in stock from 3rd sellers. That means you will pay shipping for sure and it won't ship as fast. The quantities change up and down depending on where stock comes from. They are on e-bay all the time. I'm sure the same fans bought them to turn a profit later on. Didn't the Anthology get delayed excessively, also? The Supremes got shafted and delayed and cancelled in the 1970's so maybe this is Hip-O's way of being nostalgic.
I just paid $66 for a tank of gas and I'll most likely need another tank before LET YOURSELF GO arrives. I took a gaze at the track listing again and only 8.5% is new music. The rest is alternates and what fans already have. I read somewhere that Vol 2 of the Marvelettes is only in the planning stages. What will gas be a gallon in another 6 years?

chestersong
05-03-2011, 11:43 PM
i know just what you mean. i like discussing what future cds we would like to see but when i realize it took 6 years and counting for these last albums to appear from first mention; that sours the fun. these alternate versions better be amazing.

kenneth
05-03-2011, 11:58 PM
I'll admit I was initially disappointed that there wasn't more in the can by Mary, Scherie and Susaye, yet to be discovered. But I imagine if this were a 2-CD set with just the "new" tracks added, we would speculate as to what alternate versions might have been left behind. For example, it is intriguing to know that the "High Energy" album, which I always loved, has an alternate mix of the whole LP, included on the new set.

Also, as much of a completist as I am, if the stuff all came out together, well how could we buy it all? And these CDs are really marketed to a limited group of collectors. I mean, back in the 80s, how could anyone convince a record company to market a limited edition of 5,000, copies of anything? They were all trying to come up with the next "Thriller."

Anyway, I'm anxious to have this and love the fact that these releases are becoming more and more interesting all the time, what with the less well known artists and the rare stuff from the artists we thought we knew really well.

chestersong
05-04-2011, 12:26 PM
i was thinking about those 5000 copies a while back when my daughter was doing her girl scout troop cookie thing. it's a long story but 5000 people didn't even cover the folks in my part of a neighborhood in the town! let alone all the towns contained in a city, a state, a country. so you are quite right that this cd set is aimed at a teeny, tiny niche of people.
last summer my daughter and her friends set up a lemonade stand and it was all set to go. except she didn't have the lemonade or goods to make it with! reminds me of Hip-O posting this set to their web-site, checking the box that it's "in stock" and you can order, and they set a ship date; then realize they have no product to sell! seems backwards. my daughter was more disappointed though. :[[

Ramone Verona
05-05-2011, 11:25 AM
One of those 5000 copies might have gone to Susaye. She's sporting the set in her hands on Facebook. Many have congratulated her on it; a very few have actually stated that they are ordering it. So it must be real! I wonder if every Supreme received a copy? This set has four, count them "4", versions of "I'm Gonna Let My Heart Do The Walking". I wonder who's favorite supreme's song this was?? Diana should record this.

chestersong
05-05-2011, 12:27 PM
do the girls get any royalties from a release like this? seems like it would be a good idea for Susaye and Scherrie and Mary to promote this to encourage attendance to their shows and various recordings for sale. with these girls living in California and Mary in nevada, maybe they can have a small get together and fans can get their cds signed?

thelastsupreme
05-05-2011, 03:21 PM
I can't stop dancing. or smiling. LOL! It's been a long road, but it is almost here for you all! The wait is worth it, I promise you. Summer just around the corner, we will be dancing in the KLUBS! Lots of fresh surprises to come. hope you all will continue to support this project cause it just too hot! Today, on Amazon.com it is #39 in Bestselling R&B chart. has been in the top 100 for 20 days. love to all, S.

kenneth
05-05-2011, 04:22 PM
I can't stop dancing. or smiling. LOL! It's been a long road, but it is almost here for you all! The wait is worth it, I promise you. Summer just around the corner, we will be dancing in the KLUBS! Lots of fresh surprises to come. hope you all will continue to support this project cause it just too hot! Today, on Amazon.com it is #39 in Bestselling R&B chart. has been in the top 100 for 20 days. love to all, S.

Congrats, Ms. Greene!

George Solomon
05-05-2011, 05:45 PM
I believe everyone will really enjoy The Final Sessions. I think it's the finest packaging so far! And never has there been more participation from a grouping of Supremes. These ladies have been angels!

I know some complain about a lot of alternates. I personally love alternate versions, maybe even more than completely unreleased recordings. I love hearing alternate vocal takes of songs I'm very familiar with. And sometimes a different instrumental mix can make a big difference in the song. Could we have used less of them? Sure, but would you rather have the alternate or less tracks on the CD?

I know Andy touched on this but we really did use everything we could find in the way of unreleased material. As frustrating as the delays have been they actually allowed us to find other gems we had yet to uncover. And there were things we wanted to include but just couldn't for clearance reasons. Believe me, we're big fans, too and we know what we wanted on this set as much as all the other fans! Andy and I both have scabs on our knees from pleading for a few things we ultimately just couldn't get :-)

I love this set. When I listen to this music and stare endlessly at all these photographs, I'm a kid again remembering the thrill of holding those albums for the first time. I really hope everyone enjoys this collection and feels the love and [[high) energy that went into getting it out there. Thank you!

blkfrost
05-05-2011, 07:11 PM
I love this set. When I listen to this music and stare endlessly at all these photographs, I'm a kid again remembering the thrill of holding those albums for the first time. I really hope everyone enjoys this collection and feels the love and [[high) energy that went into getting it out there. Thank you!

Yes, I understand completely... I was in university when these albums came out and play them until the sound was nearly unbearable, then I went out and bought another copy. I know that I will enjoy this set. Thank you all for getting this out to the fans before we get too old to care.

rod_rick
05-05-2011, 08:35 PM
I believe everyone will really enjoy The Final Sessions. I think it's the finest packaging so far! And never has there been more participation from a grouping of Supremes. These ladies have been angels!

I know some complain about a lot of alternates. I personally love alternate versions, maybe even more than completely unreleased recordings. I love hearing alternate vocal takes of songs I'm very familiar with. And sometimes a different instrumental mix can make a big difference in the song. Could we have used less of them? Sure, but would you rather have the alternate or less tracks on the CD?

I know Andy touched on this but we really did use everything we could find in the way of unreleased material. As frustrating as the delays have been they actually allowed us to find other gems we had yet to uncover. And there were things we wanted to include but just couldn't for clearance reasons. Believe me, we're big fans, too and we know what we wanted on this set as much as all the other fans! Andy and I both have scabs on our knees from pleading for a few things we ultimately just couldn't get :-)

Hey George first congrats on the Final Session Cd I am so looking forward to this release. I would like to know, what did you want to use but could not get clearance for? Also is there anything else left in the vault for this grouping that might see the light of day in the future

Jimi LaLumia
05-05-2011, 09:40 PM
how about "Partners" and the solo Mary Wilson "Red Hot" album?

thelastsupreme
05-05-2011, 11:48 PM
George, I can't begin to thank you for all you guys did to put this together; it's just fabulous. I'm like a kid in a candy store. My family are so tired of me under the headphones, dancing through the room, but wow! And it's only been 24 hrs. I just talked to Scherrie and she's delighted too. It's like falling in love all over again.
My friend, composer Yukifumi Noda, twittered me this link for the cd in Japan! So fun;
http://amzn.to/jNMhPg My friends in Paris, China, England, so many places around the world are excited about this release.
Thank you, thank you, for pushing through, and thanks to all who championed it here, to all who are looking forward to it.
We're going to dance through this summer! :cool:

longtimefan
05-06-2011, 12:42 AM
I have received an e-mail from Hip-O indicating that my order was shipped on May 4th. I will soon be joining Susaye in celebrating! Go Susaye, go Susaye, go Susaye! :-)

sophisticated_soul
05-06-2011, 01:02 AM
I received notice too. I'm sure the set will be more than worth the wait. The first thing I want to check out are the Russ Terrana mixes of "Hight Energy". I loved the snippets of his mixes played on Nighflight recently!:cool:

redlabs
05-06-2011, 09:22 AM
i agree Sophisticated Soul, i want to hear the Russ mix's of High Energy.they sounded great.
i thought there was an out take from the MSS album??? but guess not. always thought the MSS album was a kick butt album. the vocals are outstanding by all three ladies. even Mary seems to come into her own here. wish we could get a remix of LET YOURSELF GO.
i have to say i also love the alternate mixs . after listening to a song for 20-40 years we get to familiar with them but a new mixs seems to freshen them up but i always fall back in love with the original which was the case with the ALMIGHTY remixs a few years ago.
btw, check out the ALMIGHTY WE LOVE DIANA cds. there are some great mixs on it.

chestersong
05-06-2011, 11:06 AM
also got the same ship message. for me, and as Susaye has mentioned above, the stand out track will be "Dance Fever". the radio preview of this song was great and with some different lyrics. if the set really did go out on the 4th, then i may have it this weekend! there are only a few alternates that i prefer. if between more songs or less for the same price, i'll take the alternates, of course. but i'd much prefer more new songs than any alternates for the same price. this is an expensive set for doubling, tripling and quadrupling of the same song. maybe in the future, the fans could be treated to straight forward releases [[say Funny Girl; since it has yet to be on cd) within a short time-frame [[less than one year), and then use the 4 to 6 years to release a "part two" of new songs and alternates. the number of sales from a straight forward re-release for an easier to afford price might surprise the company. Funny Girl, G.I.T., Disney.
i am happy all the principal players, the singers & the vault finders, are happy with this set. we will be, too! us at home have only heard about it.

George Solomon
05-06-2011, 01:50 PM
Susaye, I still crack up every time I listen to you and Scherrie at the end of the "Sweet Dream Machine" alternate! xoxo

thommg
05-06-2011, 02:04 PM
Was it ever mentioned why there is a Russ Terrana mix of High Energy and a released mix? Why would Russ' not have been used?

Ramone Verona
05-06-2011, 03:11 PM
The answer to that is probably in the booklet; we'll hope. Good question. Seems to me that volume 1 gave a better bang for the buck just based on the number of albums showcased and then all the unreleased material. Nothing was repeated. But with four years between the two volumes, they might have had to take a different approach. Alternate versions don't get played more than once or twice in my system as I enjoy keeping the music fresh; especially if I play this during a party. There have been a few along the way that I prefer over the original release. Since there is so much more material left on Jean, I would have preferred another disc on her grouping for this expensive price. I enjoy the "new" music as that is what turned me on to the Supremes all along in their career.
Sounds like George is getting us ready for lyric gems on both Sweet Dream Machine and High Energy! I am wondering just how Volume 2 will deal with Cindy's departure. Will it be the real deal or some sweet cover up? I guess the booklet will have to deal with Jean & Lynda's disappearance, too. "Wanted to spend more time with family" will not satisfy fan's hungers! :) :) :)

Motown Andy
05-06-2011, 04:26 PM
Thommg - yes, the answer will be found in the booklet!
Ramone -both sets are 3 CDs long and filled with music. The songs on Volume 1 are much shorter. The songs on Volume 2 are so long, there's fewer titles that fit on each disc.
Chester - regarding repeating a song, it was only repeated if it was worth it to repeat. Some songs have no alternate vocals, some have several. We could have easily made this collection 4 or 5 CDs filled with alternates!

Wait and see friends...

thommg
05-06-2011, 04:31 PM
Thanks Andy. I wait patiently for my discs to arrive from Amazon. And for the record, I like the alternates. It's like finding new spices in something you already tasted.

chestersong
05-06-2011, 07:00 PM
another cd of unreleased Jean-Mary-Cindy-Lynda would have been nice. never thought of that as i was focused on Scherrie and hoped there was a slew of canned tracks. a future "lost & found" could be a nice companion to either of these sets. past liner readings have fessed up that Flo had troubles, as so many artists do, so it couldn't hurt for Cindy to tell what really went down. she's far too popular for anything not to be understandable. this group is no different than any other music group in the rock era; people leave for real reasons that we all can understand nowadays. i didn't even think about that the liner author would have to deal with some tough issues and lets hope we get a straight answer from the girls.
does anyone else feel that the "Partners" tracks sounded very much as though what the "next" supremes album might have sounded like? i do. a future supremes project would be a welcomed collection of a few solo tracks from each member. that might also help to spark interest in more complete sets from each member. Susaye has said that "Partners" has some outtakes and didn't Joyce Vincent help sing background on that record? and to think she is with the former ladies now is so cool. Partners would make for an interesting collector item for any supremes fan; and the timing is perfect with Joyce in the line-up.
i wanted to say a big thank you to Susaye and George and Andy for commenting here and truly helping to promote this set which they obviously have said that they worked so hard on. as my boss at work always says: "sell, sell, sell"!! it doesn't cost anything to promote by word of mouth [[or keyboard)

George Solomon
05-06-2011, 07:15 PM
It's no secret that we would love this to be a big success. It's important to show that the 70's Supremes will sell. It's the only way to get more projects approved. Thanks for all the support!

thelastsupreme
05-06-2011, 08:11 PM
"and as Susaye has mentioned above, the stand out track will be "Dance Fever"."

I said I can't stop dancing, and we'll we dancing in the clubs, didn't mention "the standout track" or Dance Fever, chestersong.

I will be sure to say what my standouts are soon, though. At the moment, i'm dancing and listening and having a ball! happy weekend, all.

chestersong
05-06-2011, 08:33 PM
actually i stated or meant it was the stand out track for me. and that you had mentioned the lyrics here and on facebook. the song is cool but i won't be dancing in any clubs this summer. that's for you kids!

smark21
05-06-2011, 09:10 PM
"and as Susaye has mentioned above, the stand out track will be "Dance Fever"."

I said I can't stop dancing, and we'll we dancing in the clubs, didn't mention "the standout track" or Dance Fever, chestersong.

I will be sure to say what my standouts are soon, though. At the moment, i'm dancing and listening and having a ball! happy weekend, all.

Susaye when you listen to the High Energy and Mary, Scherrie and Susaye songs, does it take you right back [[in your memories) to the studio when you were working on these songs as well as bring back things you might have forgotten?

Ramone Verona
05-06-2011, 09:56 PM
It's a complicated dynamic. The fans keep wanting more and are frustrated by the company, the companies keep wanting the fans to understand the way it works. But it's that dynamic that keeps us all on our toes in honoring the music we love.
Would love to know what Berry Gordy thinks of his "hand washing" today?

762rob
05-06-2011, 11:12 PM
I've gotta say something - I've been eagerly anticipating this set for years as have the rest of you!

I was lucky enough to see Mary, Cindy and Sherrie perform at the Venetian Room at the Fairmount Hotel in San Francisco.

To me, these are the most musical, exciting, and energetic sessions! HDH did some wonderful work on many songs and all three vocalists were superb. Then Susaye, truly the icing on the cake..... I remember thinking "Wow, where did THAT VOICE come from?" at the time, back in the mid-70's. Amazing stuff. The few videos I have seen of MSS are wonderful too.

Thanks to everyone for all their hard work, Andy I enjoyed your interview on Nightflight so much! And George your comments on here are so welcome and informative.

My set has shipped, maybe tomorrow or Monday!

I have grown to love these albums in recent years, they truly were ahead of their time and have stood the test of time as well.

kenneth
05-07-2011, 12:32 AM
One of the tracks I always loved from the MS&S album was 'Come Into My Life.' It has that great weird intro and offbeat background vocals...has to be Susaye on the high parts...and a great lead vocal which I think was shared by Mary and Sherrie. Although I never thought of it at the time, it almost has a George Clinton "Parlet" type vibe. If you've ever heard Parlet's first album, "Pleasure Principle," there was an outstanding track called "Are You Dreaming?" which I think really has a lot of the same qualities. Now I'll have to go figure out which one came first, to see if maybe one influenced the other. I think the two LPs came out roughly around the same time, as I recall. Can't wait to hear 'Come Into My Life' on CD...!

chestersong
05-07-2011, 11:30 AM
you can now go to amazon mp3 downloads and hear samples of all the songs. the group-lead version of "give out, but don't give up" sounds like a choir from Lawrence Welk! :)

thelastsupreme
05-07-2011, 12:26 PM
OOOH! come on come on baby, come on!
The high parts on "Come Into My Life" are certainly me, Kenneth. And the lead is sung by me and me! ha!
I love this cd. I'm still dancing.
and grinning...........a lot.
"Come on come on baby, come on!"

des123
05-07-2011, 03:54 PM
Got mine in the mail today - the mail delivery was early today 1PM versus 4 PM.

It is really beautifully done!

Thank you Andrew, Harry and George and the 'girls'!

longtimefan
05-07-2011, 04:17 PM
My set arrived today, also. It is extremely attractive with rare pictures, including many alternate poses from well-know sessions. As an example, this is the first time that I ever saw another "pose" from the session that produced the cover shot for The Supremes [[1975).

The graphic arts are of the highest quality. The paper is glossy [[as opposed to matte) thus making pictures clearer. The narrative is very well written and is actually interesting -- even to those longtime fans! Plus, there are many smaller explanatory notes sprinkled through the track listings. LOTS of details!

Two "fun" notes:

1. Don't be scared if you think your actual CDs are missing. I was at first! They each blend into their respective page so well you may think there are not there at initially. :-)

2. And guess what?? This will get a new ball rolling. In a listing of other Supremes' CDs that can be found at Hip-O is More Hits by The Supremes Expanded 2-CD Edition!!!!!!! LOL LOL Now we are off and running.............

Once again, a huge thanks to Andy, Harry and George for seeing this project though for the fans. NOW ... I will go and listen [[smile)!!! We know that Susaye is still dancing to her new CDs! xxoooxx

762rob
05-07-2011, 04:57 PM
Wow, you guys have to see this set in person!

Susaye was right, it is just extremely beautiful! I have to say that the website images do not do it justice at all!

It is absolutely gorgeous, just like the ladies inside, and you guys will not be disappointed.

You can tell that two of the biggest fans had a hand in assembling it......it shows all over.

Totally worth the very long wait.

Now on to listen to the music!

blkfrost
05-07-2011, 05:23 PM
Fabulous! Received my copy today. The booklet is great, beautiful photos, and the music is outstanding. Oh, how I love "Sweet Dream Machine".

Koach
05-07-2011, 05:59 PM
I can't wait to receive my copy. Thanks for taking your time to chat with the fans, Susaye! :D

kenneth
05-07-2011, 09:09 PM
OOOH! come on come on baby, come on!
The high parts on "Come Into My Life" are certainly me, Kenneth. And the lead is sung by me and me! ha!
I love this cd. I'm still dancing.
and grinning...........a lot.
"Come on come on baby, come on!"

Well, I am gratified and embarrassed at the same time! I should have known that, but it's been a long time since I've heard it. But not much longer for me, fortunately. Don't worry, Ms. Greene, I will not make that mistake again! Thank you for your graciousness, of course Supremes always are, aren't they? Thanks again!