PDA

View Full Version : Shirelles Vocal Ranges

test

dvdmike
10-20-2013, 10:46 PM
Could anyone help here? I believe lead singer Beverly Owens Alston was an alto and Beverly Lee a soprano. Does anyone know the vocal ranges of Micki Harris and Doris Coley? Thank you.

splanky
10-21-2013, 08:53 AM
If my memory serves me right and that's a little shaky these days, Doris Coley was a soprano...She was the foolish one on Foolish Little Girl...BTW, great subject for a thread:)...

JIVE FIVE Mary G.
10-21-2013, 09:42 AM
I don't know the answer to the question either, however, Shirley Alston Reeves is still a frequent performer on the oldies circuit.

~~Mary~~

reese
10-21-2013, 10:06 AM
If my memory serves me right and that's a little shaky these days, Doris Coley was a soprano...She was the foolish one on Foolish Little Girl...BTW, great subject for a thread:)...

Beverly sings the "But I love him" line in FOOLISH LITTLE GIRL.

luke
10-21-2013, 02:02 PM
Doris sang lead initially.

splanky
10-22-2013, 06:00 AM
No, I'm sorry, Reese is probably right I think. My memory failed me; got their voices mixed up. I have to admit I never knew the Shirelles voices as well as I did my other favorite girl
groups, i.e. The Cookies. I'd like to see a concise breakdown of who sang what of them.
Dedicated To The One I Love is a Doris lead isn't it? Help a member out here, please....

reese
10-22-2013, 07:25 AM
No, I'm sorry, Reese is probably right I think. My memory failed me; got their voices mixed up. I have to admit I never knew the Shirelles voices as well as I did my other favorite girl
groups, i.e. The Cookies. I'd like to see a concise breakdown of who sang what of them.
Dedicated To The One I Love is a Doris lead isn't it? Help a member out here, please....

Yes, Doris sang lead on DEDICATED..., as well as BLUE HOLIDAY, and some other album tracks.

dvdmike
10-23-2013, 11:45 PM
Actually, Beverly Lee sang the high parts on "Foolish Little Girl."

splanky
10-24-2013, 06:23 AM
Yes, we got that, dvdmike...If you read through your thread you'll see reese corrected my
"senior moment" 5 posts ago and made evident Doris is apparently the groups second alto.
That leaves Micki but I can't hear her right now, my ears are elsewhere....

nosey
10-24-2013, 11:03 AM
As I think about it, I like Doris's voice better than Shirley's.

luke
10-24-2013, 11:44 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBFpOlUlH2g Doris on lead on Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow.

nosey
10-24-2013, 12:29 PM
Such a feel good song. As a child, I didn't grasp what the song meant and although I love the song, I'm surprised they were allowed to record it being the times we were living in then.

stephanie
10-28-2013, 07:12 PM
I used to wish that Beverly got more leads when I heard her in Foolish Little Girl and Last Minute Miracle [[which should have been a much bigger hit) I think it was too fast. Shirley Alston was a good lead and when I heard Doris I was shocked at how good her voice was. Micki was a great performer and she was the energy the group needed.

luke
10-29-2013, 11:28 AM
Did Micki ever sing a lead?

rrussi
10-30-2013, 03:03 AM
Yes, Micki sang lead in "live" performances like on the "live" lp on Scepter called Spontaneous Combustion--James Brown's "I Feel Good".