PDA

View Full Version : Michael Travis: Supreme designer

test

marybrewster
10-07-2013, 09:35 PM
Found this article on Michael Travis; you may recognize the name as a designer of some of the Supremes most famous gowns. Thought I'd share:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/liberace-costume-designer-michael-travis-562536

jillfoster
10-07-2013, 10:49 PM
Great article!! Too bad Weintraub is such an asshole about the whole thing. This is one my favorite designs of his:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IeiAuHGUkQ

blueskies
10-08-2013, 07:45 PM
Can anyone point out which gowns Travis did for The Supremes?

bradsupremes
10-08-2013, 08:11 PM
Can anyone point out which gowns Travis did for The Supremes?

He designed the gowns worn on the Tennessee Ernie Ford Special in 1967 and the gowns worn on TCB. There may be more designs he did, but more investigation needs to be done. People tend to associate certain gowns to different designers only for the information to turn up to be false...

smark21
10-08-2013, 08:19 PM
While die hard Supremes fans love the gowns, but what role did those glitzy gowns play in some people labeling The Supremes a sell out Vegas act and having to deal with accusations that they weren’t “black enough”? Does anyone think that when Jean Terrell joined the act they should have ditched the gowns and committed themselves to a more down to earth rock soul look to go with their music?

I ♥ The Supremes and Temptations
10-08-2013, 09:29 PM
I think, when Aretha came out with I never loved a man the way that I loved you, plus with the soul explosion [[Stax records, Atlantic) also h-d-h leaving those things played a big part of the Supremes careers dwindling in late 67/early 68.

And this may be off topic but, I think with so many things that blacks were facing the Supremes seemed out of touch. That's why I said Aretha came out at the right time because she seemed to be the "voice" of how black women were feeling at that time and still are [[ ex. Do right woman, Respect)

I also think the 70's era Supremes would've been more successful if they did that.
Jean always looked uncomfortable with "the glam image" that was more of Diana's thing.
While die hard Supremes fans love the gowns, but what role did those glitzy gowns play in some people labeling The Supremes a sell out Vegas act and having to deal with accusations that they weren’t “black enough”?Does anyone think that when Jean Terrell joined the act they should have ditched the gowns and committed themselves to a more down to earth rock soul look to go with their music?

RossHolloway
10-08-2013, 09:45 PM
I think, when Aretha came out with I never loved a man the way that I loved you, plus with the soul explosion [[Stax records, Atlantic) also h-d-h leaving those things played a big part of the Supremes careers dwindling in late 67/early 68.

And this may be off topic but, I think with so many things that blacks were facing the Supremes seemed out of touch. That's why I said Aretha came out at the right time because she seemed to be the "voice" of how black women were feeling at that time and still are [[ ex. Do right woman, Respect)

I also think the 70's era Supremes would've been more successful if they did that.
Jean always looked uncomfortable with "the glam image" that was more of Diana's thing.

And you do know that Aretha was signed to Columbia Records prior to Atlantic right?

rod_rick
10-08-2013, 10:08 PM

The glam image was a Supreme thing and if Jean couldn't get with it I would think that she would not have taken the job as the Lead Singer of the SUPREMES. That glam image was and still is Mary's thing also something she is capitalizing off of with the current gown tour. Also most of the female groups from the 70's based their look off of the Supreme glam image with a few exceptions, Labelle, and the Pointer Sisters. The Honeycone, Love Unlimited, First Choice, the Three Degrees, and others used the Supremes look as a model. Now as for their song choices the early 70 SUpremes were pretty safe but as the 70's progressed so did their music imo

jillfoster
10-09-2013, 11:38 PM
While die hard Supremes fans love the gowns, but what role did those glitzy gowns play in some people labeling The Supremes a sell out Vegas act and having to deal with accusations that they weren’t “black enough”? Does anyone think that when Jean Terrell joined the act they should have ditched the gowns and committed themselves to a more down to earth rock soul look to go with their music?

What hurt them more than anything is not writing songs, not playing any musical instruments, and not even being able to READ MUSIC! [[I'm talking original Supremes, here) That's why Susaye pushed so hard for her songs to get recorded... because she knew it would give the group a credibility it hadn't had before. And she was RIGHT. It was FOREVER before I had found out that Jean, in fact, can play piano... I thought WTF?????!!!!!!!!!!! Jean could play piano and they never utiilzed that talent? EVER??? Talk about being asleep at the switch.

thisoldheart
10-10-2013, 12:10 AM
those gowns were sooo uncool ... it made the group look like las vegas show girls whose audience was 60 year old retires. their fan base was 20 year olds. bad move!

and why all the talk about those atrocious gowns? i saw them at the v&a in london. tacky! their talent was sing pop music tinged with soul. they are supremely overrated for their style post 1967, and underrated as a group ... or at least not taken seriously because so much attention is placed on those silly sequined and rhinestoned gowns. just my take on the group.

supremester
10-10-2013, 12:26 AM
Yes, there was some of that, but, for the most part, the gowns were a great tool for the group. The "sell out Vegas act" moniker actually came much later in retrospect. At the time, a black pop group being a top draw on the strip was considered hip. Flo leaving the group hurt much more than anything except the crap material they were getting and little attention paid to their albums. I saw them the summer of '69 when they tried the dressing hip thing onstage and it didn't work because only Ross looked hip, Mary looked OK and Cindy looked like a fool. When Ross left, they not only lost the star of the group - but the visual visionary. Mary works the glam very well these days, but no so much in 1970. Jean Terrell, with her great, soulful voice and desire to urbanize the group, was, like you suggest, on the right track. They needed a hip stylist who could give them a unique, ground breaking urban glam that would match their soulful sounds and take the group into the 70's. Their look on the back of NWBLS was killer. Aretha was huge, but usually an eyesore [[wearing ANTLERS on The Oscars???) JMC coulda blazed a new trail for the group. And it IS Motown's fault. It was clear they needed a stylist and didn't get one for themselves [[probably thinking personnel wasn't so important to the glam look,) so Motown should have insisted. Remember Jean's quote" I'm not all frizzle frans and frou frous...... I'm NOT the Ross Girl........"She eventually adapted but it was too late.

Roberta75
10-10-2013, 09:15 AM
What hurt them more than anything is not writing songs, not playing any musical instruments, and not even being able to READ MUSIC! [[I'm talking original Supremes, here) That's why Susaye pushed so hard for her songs to get recorded... because she knew it would give the group a credibility it hadn't had before. And she was RIGHT. It was FOREVER before I had found out that Jean, in fact, can play piano... I thought WTF?????!!!!!!!!!!! Jean could play piano and they never utiilzed that talent? EVER??? Talk about being asleep at the switch.

now hes got Jean Terrell as the Richard Clayderman of the Supremes. Lolololololol

jillfoster
10-10-2013, 09:42 AM
now hes got Jean Terrell as the Richard Clayderman of the Supremes. Lolololololol

So, are you saying I'm lying and Jean Terrell does not play piano?

Roberta75
10-10-2013, 11:51 AM
So, are you saying I'm lying and Jean Terrell does not play piano?

I never said you was lying im laughing at your dramatic " Jean could play piano and they never utiilzed that talent? EVER??? Talk about being asleep at the switch" comment as if Jean tinkling the keys would have put the Supremes back on top. lolololol

jillfoster
10-11-2013, 01:22 AM
I never said you was lying im laughing at your dramatic " Jean could play piano and they never utiilzed that talent? EVER??? Talk about being asleep at the switch" comment as if Jean tinkling the keys would have put the Supremes back on top. lolololol

Are you really that stupid. or are you not able to follow conversation? The context of my posting was discussion of The Supremes lack of credibility, their image as glamour girls without substance. So, in that context, you think I was saying that Jean Terrell playing the piano on a tv appearance or a concert would put them on top? REALLY? Just where do you get that? Since your IQ seems to be lower than Diana Ross' bra size, I will spell it out for you. I was saying that the Supremes including Jean's piano playing in their shows, TV and otherwise, would have increased the group's musical credibility, just like Susaye's compositions would have done.

Roberta75
10-11-2013, 08:20 AM
Are you really that stupid. or are you not able to follow conversation? The context of my posting was discussion of The Supremes lack of credibility, their image as glamour girls without substance. So, in that context, you think I was saying that Jean Terrell playing the piano on a tv appearance or a concert would put them on top? REALLY? Just where do you get that? Since your IQ seems to be lower than Diana Ross' bra size, I will spell it out for you. I was saying that the Supremes including Jean's piano playing in their shows, TV and otherwise, would have increased the group's musical credibility, just like Susaye's compositions would have done.

im still not real clear. if Jean had played the piano on Tv shows then how could she do all the moves and hand gestures during the supremes hits medley. It woyld look real odd to have Mary and Linda standing up doing the stop hand gesture and Jean doing it from a piano stool imo.

Have a great day.

Roberta

marybrewster
10-11-2013, 08:56 AM
im still not real clear. if Jean had played the piano on Tv shows then how could she do all the moves and hand gestures during the supremes hits medley. It woyld look real odd to have Mary and Linda standing up doing the stop hand gesture and Jean doing it from a piano stool imo.

Have a great day.

Roberta

This is one of the best posts ever.

Roberta75
10-11-2013, 09:08 AM
This is one of the best posts ever.

But im real nervous that Proffesor Jillfoster will call out my low IQ and stupidity again marybrewster because I still dont fully understand what he means about Jeans piano playing being included in the Supremes live shows.

Roberta.

blueskies
10-11-2013, 10:04 AM
I have visions of Mary on Trombone. :rolleyes:

carole cucumber
10-11-2013, 10:55 AM

It's been rumoured that Mary and/or Lynda blew a mean whistle during performances of 'Bad Weather' so one'll never know what might have been.

carole cucumber
10-11-2013, 11:07 AM

Does your vision include The Supremes as the flagship act and true stars of Berry Gordy's re-vitalized Workshop Jazz label [[wearing new Michael Travis designs, to stay within the thread's original intent)? :o

carole cucumber
10-11-2013, 11:36 AM

That also explains the prominent trombone on "Whistle While You Work". ;)

Roberta75
10-11-2013, 12:02 PM

lol and did you know Barbara Martin was the best violin player in Michigan before becoming a podiatrist and Motown never utiilzed that talent? EVER??? Talk about being asleep at the switch. She could have played the violin on I hear a symphony and then worked on Diane and mary and Flos feet in between shows. Shame on Berry Gordy for not keeping her. A few violin solos spots was all she wanted.

Roberta75
10-11-2013, 12:03 PM
It's been rumoured that Mary and/or Lynda blew a mean whistle during performances of 'Bad Weather' so one'll never know what might have been.

lol and Motown never utiilzed that talent? EVER??? Talk about being asleep at the switch.

blueskies
10-11-2013, 12:08 PM
Does your vision include The Supremes as the flagship act and true stars of Berry Gordy's re-vitalized Workshop Jazz label [[wearing new Michael Travis designs, to stay within the thread's original intent)? :o No Carole, my vision never went that far. My IQ is probably akin to Ross' bra size, too.

supremester
10-11-2013, 12:34 PM
I agree that in their show, a dramatic staging of Jean at the piano playing some ballad with a killer vocal arrangement for the three would be a much needed high point, but, it is not what would have had them where they wanted to be. No one cares who writes what, generally, in pop music - they care about the sound and the cool factor of the group unit. It would have been cool if they did write their stuff of course, but it has to be great. How many hit records did Susaye write? Judy Garland and Babs didn't/don't read music and their careers seemed to be OK. Miss Ross wrote Turn Me Over but I don't think that enhanced her in the eyes of the public. Being asleep at the switch to me means that no one cares about the group or it's members. Look at Mary today: she has vision: Sophisticated Ladies and Lena Horne and Up Close are all perfect showcases for her great talent. It's just too bad she didn't have that vision back in the day. Selling herself to promoters as "A Young Tina Turner" was a bad move [[she's not that much younger and, she ain't no Tina anyway.) On a side note, calling people stupid on this forum makes you appear stupid. Roberta's thoughts are just as valid as anyone else's - we all give each other own own values..... name calling is so grade school.

supremester
10-11-2013, 12:39 PM
Is THAT what Mary calls them.......whistles?? Maybe Cindy could play the zither.

blueskies
10-11-2013, 01:30 PM
Is THAT what Mary calls them.......whistles?? Maybe Cindy could play the zither. A zither! How quaint. http://i565.photobucket.com/albums/ss95/jpod1567/Harps%20Music%20Dance/Zither.jpg

Roberta75
10-11-2013, 02:26 PM
A zither! How quaint. http://i565.photobucket.com/albums/ss95/jpod1567/Harps%20Music%20Dance/Zither.jpg

you guys are cracking me up today. And Motown never utiilzed Cindys zither talent? EVER??? Talk about being asleep at the switch.

blueskies
10-11-2013, 02:29 PM
you guys are cracking me up today. And Motown never utiilzed Cindys zither talent? EVER??? Talk about being asleep at the switch. Well Roberta, I guess we FINALLY know why the 70's Supremes disbanded....that trombone, Zither and piano were NOT utilized to the fullest!

Roberta75
10-11-2013, 03:02 PM
Well Roberta, I guess we FINALLY know why the 70's Supremes disbanded....that trombone, Zither and piano were NOT utilized to the fullest!

Thats the real reason blueskies. Motown never utiilzed Cindys zither and Marys trombone and and Jeans piano talents EVER??? Talk about Berry Gordy being asleep at the switch.

carole cucumber
10-11-2013, 03:07 PM
you guys are cracking me up today. And Motown never utiilzed Cindys zither talent? EVER??? Talk about being asleep at the switch.

Well, Cindy may have never had a chance to display her zither skills, but on occasion, she was known to throw a come zither look, that is, until she got married.

jillfoster
10-11-2013, 04:53 PM
I agree that in their show, a dramatic staging of Jean at the piano playing some ballad with a killer vocal arrangement for the three would be a much needed high point, but, it is not what would have had them where they wanted to be. No one cares who writes what, generally, in pop music - they care about the sound and the cool factor of the group unit. It would have been cool if they did write their stuff of course, but it has to be great. How many hit records did Susaye write? Judy Garland and Babs didn't/don't read music and their careers seemed to be OK. Miss Ross wrote Turn Me Over but I don't think that enhanced her in the eyes of the public. Being asleep at the switch to me means that no one cares about the group or it's members. Look at Mary today: she has vision: Sophisticated Ladies and Lena Horne and Up Close are all perfect showcases for her great talent. It's just too bad she didn't have that vision back in the day. Selling herself to promoters as "A Young Tina Turner" was a bad move [[she's not that much younger and, she ain't no Tina anyway.) On a side note, calling people stupid on this forum makes you appear stupid. Roberta's thoughts are just as valid as anyone else's - we all give each other own own values..... name calling is so grade school.

I agree with many of your points here, with a couple exceptions.

1: I didn't call "Roberta" stupid because he disagreed with me, I called him stupid because he couldn't seem to understand that I was talking about the groups musical credibility, not their record sales, when it very obvious in my post.

2: I think when the Supremes first hit, then no... who wrote what, etc... wasn't as important, but as the later 60's and 70's came about, that aspect became much more important in the music business. Your'e limiting your scope to gay divas, I'm speaking in general terms of the music business as a whole.

Roberta75
10-11-2013, 09:55 PM
I agree with many of your points here, with a couple exceptions.

1: I didn't call "Roberta" stupid because he disagreed with me, I called him stupid because he couldn't seem to understand that I was talking about the groups musical credibility, not their record sales,e.

For the 127th time I am a she named Roberta Fonseca and just because you use a woman name but are a man dont assume that every other woman is a man. You are quotting your friend Marv who isnt the most credible source jillfoster. You as a open and proud homosexual gentleman befriendding a known homophobe is real disturbing imo.

Roberta

jillfoster
10-12-2013, 12:07 AM
For the 127th time I am a she named Roberta Fonseca and just because you use a woman name but are a man dont assume that every other woman is a man. You are quotting your friend Marv who isnt the most credible source jillfoster. You as a open and proud homosexual gentleman befriendding a known homophobe is real disturbing imo.Roberta

That's none of your business. I've known Marv for nearly 15 years, and he's been nothing but a kind gentleman to me. Once again, Jonc also kept taking these supposed Marv comments from youtube and mentioning them OVER and OVER and OVER again. your'e not helping your case, dear, and your'e not very convincing.

Roberta75
10-12-2013, 12:11 AM
That's none of your business. I've known Marv for nearly 15 years, and he's been nothing but a kind gentleman to me. Once again, Jonc also kept taking these supposed Marv comments from youtube and mentioning them OVER and OVER and OVER again. your'e not helping your case, dear, and your'e not very convincing.

Supposed comments lol. They been posted here at least twice so I read them when everyone else read them and was horrified by his hateful attacks and that when I started mentioning them. Im not the one who brought his comments in here dear but you run on with him my dear and play your Jonc game and good luck to both of you.

supremester
10-12-2013, 02:29 AM
Regardless of who pasted them here - of more import is who originated them there. There were "Jews For Hitler" "Negroes For Wallace" so, "why," I ask myself, "not 'Marys For Marv"?? Of course, he knows better than to spew that vile, clap trap vernacular in here! hehehehe I can't even remember the last time I saw words like that written down!

supremester
10-12-2013, 02:36 AM
Those are not "supposed Marv comments" he admits it very plainly in his MWOS.

SupremeBoy
10-13-2013, 01:45 PM
You people fight too much, and this thread went waaay off topic.