PDA

View Full Version : Smokey Robinson

test

dinelle_watson
10-05-2013, 08:35 PM
Hey y'all. Dinelle here. I have loved all of the songs Smokey Robinson has recorded with the Miracles and Solo, as well as songs he's written and produced for other artist since I was a little kid. It's been more stronger since I have tickets to see him in concert in Newark next Friday. I've been so excited. It'd be awesome if I could meet him. Of course I'd probably melt into pudding if I did.

Anyway, I was wondering what your favorite songs/LPs or stories is about Smokey Robinson.

soulster
10-06-2013, 12:01 AM
Well, I was never a big solo Smokey fan, always having preferred his work with The Miracles, but there are three or four of his solo hits that I do like:

Baby That's Backkatcha
Virgin Man
Just My Soul Responding
Crusin'

tjl
10-06-2013, 01:54 AM
Sweet Harmony
Baby That's Backatcha
One Heartbeat
Being With You
* hits medley [[that used to be on lp - not sure if it made it to cd) had him doing all his compositions and big hits with the Miracles, himself and other artists [[had the same cover as Blame It On Love as I remember)
Ebony Eyes
Everything You Touch
Crusin'
Quiet Storm
The Agony and The Exstace
Let Me Beat The Clock

tjl
10-06-2013, 02:06 AM
with The Miracles:

Would I Love You
It's A Good Feeling
Mickey's Monkey
You've Really Got A Hold On Me
My Love Is Your Love Forever
[[Come Round Here) I'm The One You Need
Going To A Go-Go
If You Can Want
I'll Try Something New
Way Over There
Baby Don't You Go
I Like It Like That
The Feeling Is So Fine
What's So Goos About Good-Bye
Can You Love A Poor Boy
Tracks Of My Tears
OOO Baby Baby
More Love
More, More, More Of Your Love
Whole Lotta Shaking In My Heart
I Gotta Dance To Keep From Crying
Baby Baby Don't Cry
A Fork In The Road
Yesterday
And I Love Her
Betcha By Golly Wow
Bad Girl
After All
A Love She Can Count On
Abraham, Martin & John
Embracable You
My Girl Has Gone
Whatever Makes You Happy
I Second That Emotion
Tears Of A Clown
Soulful Shack
Shop Around
From Head To Toe
That's What Love Is Made Of
Mighty Good Lovin
Here I Go Again
My World Is Empty Without You
Doggone Right
Yester-Love
Special Occasion
The Composer
What Love Has Joined Together
We've Come Too Gar Too End It Now

theboyfromxtown
10-06-2013, 04:27 AM
Madam X
Heavy On Pride [[Light On Love)
Wine Women & Song
Let Me Be The Clock
Cruisin'

no_place_like_motown
10-06-2013, 06:19 AM
Solo:

Just Passing Through
Baby That's Backatcha
The Agony And The Ecstasy
Wine, Women And Song
Daylight And Darkness
Baby Come Close
I Want To Be Your Love

marv2
10-06-2013, 08:30 AM
Hey y'all. Dinelle here. I have loved all of the songs Smokey Robinson has recorded with the Miracles and Solo, as well as songs he's written and produced for other artist since I was a little kid. It's been more stronger since I have tickets to see him in concert in Newark next Friday. I've been so excited. It'd be awesome if I could meet him. Of course I'd probably melt into pudding if I did.

Anyway, I was wondering what your favorite songs/LPs or stories is about Smokey Robinson.

I have many favorite Smokey songs and several great memories. One of my favorite songs Smokey did as a solo is "Daylight & Darkness" in 1978.

I remember when we were kids we use to go roller skating at a place called "The Rollcade" down on N. Detroit Ave. near Berdan in Toledo. Smokey and a couple of the other Miracles would be there too roller skating just like everyone else. Smokey was good too! LOL!

Years and years later I remember Smokey on stage at the Fox in Detroit for nearly three hours! He spent half of the time telling jokes and stories that had us crying laughing, the other half was spent singing his huge catalog of songs.

MIKEW-UK
10-06-2013, 03:27 PM
Baby Come Close... live.... with Jeffrey Osbourne on drums......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNNCNCuCfv0

MIKEW-UK
10-06-2013, 03:43 PM
Notwithstanding the immense contributions Smokey has made as a recording artist, composer, producer,entrepreneur and performer, I have to rate this piece of performance poetry as the perfect insight into the true genius of the man - as a wordsmith, a poet, and as fine human being and role model of the highest intellect and social awareness. Wit, Wisdom, and very Profound.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGWglJbfey4

johnjeb
10-06-2013, 07:39 PM
I have many favorites among his most popular hits but others are:

B-side: Swept For You Baby
LP track: The Composer
New favorite in recent years: Mirage

Solo:
A Tattoo
When You Came
Open
Vitamin U
It's Been A Long Time

Kamasu_Jr
10-06-2013, 08:01 PM
The Love I Saw In You Was Just A Mirage
Mickey's Monkey
My Girl Has Gone
You're So Fine and Sweet
Choosey Beggar
Who's Gonna Take the Blame
Baby That's Backatcha
Cruisin'

captainjames
10-06-2013, 08:05 PM
"Whose Gonna Take The Blame" with The Miracles
"Really Gonna Miss You" Smokey as Solo

Also a personal favorite for personal reasons,,,,"If You Can Want"

I ♥ The Supremes and Temptations
10-06-2013, 08:55 PM
Never got into Smokey's solo material.
But I love his stuff with The Miracles:
Much better off
More love
And I love her
Tracks of my tears
Just to name a few.....

mr_june
10-07-2013, 01:47 PM
Here I go Again

daddyacey
10-08-2013, 01:51 AM
I've Made Love To You A Thousand Times
I Am I Am

dinelle_watson
11-04-2013, 09:51 PM
Ok. Here is an update a few weeks late. I did in fact go to see Smokey Robinson in Newark. It felt so much like a dream rather than a dream come true. Thankfully I was in the 10th row. But still I was really close to the stage. Smokey had us singing along to all of his songs, not to mention cracking us up. His Stevie Wonder impression was hilarious. He was even cracking up at it. I didn't get a chance to meet Smokey, but I vow to someday. I did, however get a collage of pictures of him which is currently posted in my room at this very moment. It was still a great night.

caliluv
11-04-2013, 11:28 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXRejhFOuNU&noredirect=1I like a lot of Smokey's solo music but this one slipped by me.

762rob
11-04-2013, 11:58 PM
Smokey has a great page on Facebook you can follow.

In fact Claudette has one as well.

dinelle_watson
11-05-2013, 08:49 PM
@762rob, Thanks. I'm a member of Smokey's official facebook page, as well as Claudette's friend on Facebook as well. She actually emailed me when I was deployed in Afghanistan. It was great to speak with a fellow New Orleanian, even though she moved to Detroit when she was a kid. But it's great we were both born in the Big Easy. Can we still claim her?

dinelle_watson
11-05-2013, 08:51 PM
BTW, Caliluv, I love "If You Wanna Make Love".