PDA

View Full Version : Jimmy Scott - I Cried For You

test

no_place_like_motown
10-05-2013, 07:26 AM
According to the comment this live performance is from Tokyo, April 2000. Jimmy sounds superb and I love his style and energy. He knocks it outta the park with his jazzy tradition of this classic tune - certainly in a class of it's own. Enjoy folks!

A shout out to S.S. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYG55t2JcIA

Methuselah2
10-05-2013, 07:52 AM
What a performance! Just sensational. Thanks for this gem of a posting, Nplm.

marv2
10-05-2013, 10:03 AM
Now that is the true Boss right there.......Jimmy Scott! How cool is that to hear on a Saturday morning? He is excellent [[his band ain't too bad either LOL!). A perfect example of a performer being one with the music. Thanks no_place_like_motown!

no_place_like_motown
10-05-2013, 10:30 AM
You're welcome, Meth & Marv. The band was tight - and that piano solo was awesome!

Jerry Oz
10-05-2013, 10:38 AM
They brought it that night. He sounded great and looked like he was in his element up there. Thanks for posting.

JIVE FIVE Mary G.
10-05-2013, 11:01 AM
FANTASTIC!!! There is only one Jimmy Scott. The true Master of Song.

Great post. Thank you.

~~Mary~~

Soul Sister
10-05-2013, 11:59 AM
Thank you everyone! Thank you, no_place_like_motown. :)

That Concert was filmed in Tokyo, they really know how to do in Japan, the best film footage on Jimmy. There are a couple more clips on YouTube from that "same" Concert, where you can see Japanese women crying in the audience.
The pianist was Michael Kanan who was a part of Jimmy's road band for years, they were truly insync with each other especially on ballads "Sorry Seems To Be The Hardest Word" & "Jealous Guy" they did with just the two of them on stage. The rest of Jimmy's band is there as is the fabulous "Dream Orchestra" from Japan. Michael now plays with Jane Monheit.

Jimmy can swing but I love the ballads the best. Check out the Carnegie Hall performance of "First Time Ever I Saw Your Face" for the Concert, CD, and DVD "Eastwood After Hours".
Or "Motherless Child" sung at Birdland, you may recognize some actors in the audience. Both are LIVE performances.

Glad you enjoyed the clip taken in his 7th decade as a professional singer and recording artist.

S.S.