PDA

View Full Version : The Old, The New, And The Best Of Mary Wells

test

carole cucumber
10-03-2013, 10:12 PM
According to today's MusicTap... Fuel has " The Old, The New, And The Best Of Mary Wells" planned for release on November 11.

Nothing But Soul
10-04-2013, 06:53 AM
The information about this album on Wikipedia says that it was recorded in 1983 and released on the independent label Allegiance Records. It's mostly re-recordings of her Motown material in an attempt to update the sound.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I%27m_a_Lady:_The_Old,_New_%26_Best_of_Mary_Wells

rrussi
10-04-2013, 08:09 AM
That is true, Nothing But Soul. I have never liked the remakes! I know artists do them for the money they are offered, but they do not hold up to the original hits when the artist hadn't sung the song over and over thousands of time. I really did not like this material. I think the producer was Wayne Henderson.

reese
10-04-2013, 09:39 AM
When this album was first released on cd, there were also some additional tracks included like I'M A LADY and I FEEL FOR YOU. Sorry to say, but I wasn't thrilled with most of it. I am not a fan of remakes, but I do think the remake of WHAT LOVE HAS JOINED TOGETHER came off well.

blueskies
10-04-2013, 10:12 AM
I got this CD back in the 80's. I think I played it once, and I'm a big Mary Wells fan. Still, I'm glad I own it for the historical perspective on Mary Wells.

BayouMotownMan
10-04-2013, 12:46 PM
I listened to it and pretty much dismissed it when it came out in 1983. A few months ago I pulled it out and listened more closely. Although the instrumentals leave a lot to be desired, Mary herself sounded good on these sessions. It just wasn't a good idea to begin with. Allegiance should have recorded all new material on Mary.

motony
10-04-2013, 01:38 PM
Mary did it for the money offered which was real good & I think Wayne Henderson did a good job.

rrussi
10-06-2013, 12:04 PM
I hated I'm A Lady, especially the spoken part, and I also hated Money Talks. I wish these tapes had been destroyed and I wish I knew where the tapes are of all the great stuff she and Cecil did in the 70s--Our Day Will Come, Purple Haze, Cool Groove, etc.

762rob
10-07-2013, 09:20 AM
No, they were not the originals.

But I thought everyone did a great job on the tracks and I enjoyed it then and now.