test

pshark
10-27-2010, 09:41 PM
http://www.mercurynews.com/california/ci_16430784
Carmel resident who created 'Rocky and Bullwinkle' dies at 90

By Daniel Lopez Monterey Herald
Posted: 10/25/2010 03:33:19 PM PDT
Updated: 10/25/2010 06:08:49 PM PDT

Alexander Anderson Jr., recognized as the creator of the "Rocky and Bullwinkle" cartoon, died Friday at a home in Carmel.
He was 90.
Mr. Anderson, who attended UC Berkeley and the California School of Fine Arts in San Francisco, was a native of Berkeley. He moved to Pebble Beach in 1968.
The last four years, his health had declined, his wife, Patricia, said Friday. They were married for 36 years.
Mr. Anderson came from a family of creative artists and in 1938 started working in animation with his uncle Paul Terry in New York at Terrytoons, the studio that created "Mighty Mouse." During World War II, Mr. Anderson was a U.S. Navy spy, his wife said, and in 1946, he returned to Terrytoons to work full time.
Two years later, he pitched to his uncle the idea to create cartoon characters for television.
At the time, the movie studios that Terrytoons produced for dominated the entertainment market, and working with television wasn't in there plans. Mr. Anderson was told to branch out on his own, according to his son Terry.
Mr. Anderson returned to Berkeley where he and childhood friend Jay Ward began production.
Ward ran the business side and Mr. Anderson handled the artistic and creative work.
Mr. Anderson's work included "Crusader Rabbit," a cartoon series sold to NBC with a 195 episodes. It was the first created specifically for television.
Another cartoon of his was "Dudley-Do-Right," a Canadian Mountie inspired by Nelson Eddy's performance in the film "Rose Marie." Most notably, Mr. Anderson is credited with creating Rocky the Flying Squirrel and his pal Bullwinkle, a moose. In 1996, Mr. Anderson reached an out-of-court settlement with Jay Ward Productions over rights to Bullwinkle, Rocky and Dudley-Do-Right. The terms recognized Mr. Anderson as the creator of the characters. He filed the lawsuit after discovering Ward was the sole holder of the copyrights.
Patricia Anderson said the idea for Bullwinkle came to the cartoonist after he had a dream about a moose sitting in on a game of poker with him and friends. The moose adopted its name after a Berkeley car dealership with a slightly different spelling.
In addition to cartoons, Mr. Anderson worked for an ad agency, creating slogans for Berkeley Farms, Skippy Peanut Butter and Smucker's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuWhgyGWkgE
It just dawned on me, Bulwinkle sounds a lot like Red Skelton

mark speck
10-27-2010, 11:46 PM
Bullwinkle's voice was based on a Red Skelton character, but I can't remember which one.

RIP, Mr. Anderson, and thank you... :[[

Best,

Mark

marv2
10-28-2010, 12:10 AM
Moose and Squirrel were my favorites at one time. Bummer. RIP Alexander Anderson and thank you.

stephanie
10-30-2010, 04:21 PM
Natasha and Boris made Communism fun! I love Bullwinkle and Rocky. RIP Mr Anderson your creations were part of my childhood

stephanie
10-30-2010, 04:23 PM
JJ in Good Times always reminded me of Bullwinkle.