PDA

View Full Version : GOLDMINE'S LIST of Twenty Greatest "Doo Wop" Groups

test

JIVE FIVE Mary G.
10-02-2013, 02:33 PM
Hello Everyone,

Here's one of those lists again. What do YOU think??

I noticed they left out of the article one of the most influential DJ's - The Bossman Porky Chedwick from Pittsburgh, who is credited with breaking many groups nationally, including my group Eugene Pitt & The Jive Five.

I'm interested in your thoughts. I would rate some groups differently, and you might, too.

~~Mary~~

http://www.goldminemag.com/article/goldmines-20-greatest-doo-wop-groups?fb_action_ids=10201315666567797&fb_action_types=og.likes&fb_source=aggregation&fb_aggregation_id=288381481237582

robb_k
10-02-2013, 10:07 PM
I would list the following:

1) Flamingos
2) Five Keys
3) Moonglows
4) Drifters
5) Orioles
6) Platters
7) Cadillacs
8) Dells
9) Spaniels
10) Dominoes
11) Checkers
12) Crows
13) Five Satins/Scarlets
14) Dell-Vikings
15) Robins
16) Clovers
17) Ravens
18) Five Crowns[[Rainbow/Old Town)
19) Harptones
20) Larks[[Gene Mumphord)

Bubbling under:

Heartbeats/Shep & Limelites
Penguins
Flairs
Charms/Otis Williams & Charms
Hollywood Flames
Lee Andrews & Hearts
Swallows[[KIng)
Rainbows
Dubs
Frankie Lyman & Teenagers
Wanderers[[Ray Pollard)
Kool Gents
Nutmegs
Jive Five
Arthur Lee Maye & Crowns
Jacks/Cadets
Five Willows/Willows
Five Jets/Five Stars/Five Masters/Voice Masters
Moroccos[[Sollie McElroy)
Danderliers
Crickets [[Dean Barlow)
Diablos
Little Anthony & Imperials

JIVE FIVE Mary G.
10-02-2013, 11:03 PM
Great list, Robb K. I know how much you love this style of music.

A few of groups I would put on the list, would be The Dells, Hank Ballard & The Midnighters, Nolan Strong & The Diablos, the Dominos, and The Five Keys. I didn't see these mentioned by Goldmine.

I'd take out some they have on the top 20 list and the honorable mention list, but I won't mention which ones. lol

~~Mary~~

marv2
10-03-2013, 09:40 AM
That is a good comprehensive list by Goldmine. I can't find much to disagree with, although I very much like some of the groups on Robb_K's list. The Dells should be on Goldmine's list along with Detroit's Falcons!

Nothing But Soul
10-03-2013, 02:27 PM
Robb_K has compiled a great list, but I would also include the "5" Royales [[the Lowman Pauling, Johnny Tanner group). I know they were much more popular in the south than they were up north. Billy Vera once wrote liner notes to the effect that you couldn't give away a "5" Royales record in Times Square because the group was considered "too bluesy". However, they did have a lot of great records, including the original versions of "Dedicated to the One I Love" [[later a big hit for the Shirelles), "Think" [[covered by James Brown) and "Tell the Truth" [[covered by both Ray Charles and Otis Redding).

I notice Robb did not include any female groups on his list while the Goldmine list had the Chantels and the Shirelles. I can understand Robb's rationale--I, too, tend to place doo wop groups and girl groups into separate categories. Some girl group songs like "He's So Fine" by the Chiffons and "Needle in a Haystack" by the Velvelettes do sound like doo wop [[because of the background vocals), but most do not.

Like Mary, I would remove some groups from the Goldmine list. First and foremost would be Jay and the Americans. I have nothing against them, but they were just not a doo wop group. And, it's not because they were white--I have no problem with calling Dion and the Belmonts or the Skyliners doo wop groups.

robb_k
10-03-2013, 08:55 PM
Female Doo Wop groups:

Kodoks/Kodaks
Hearts
Chantels
Mellows [[Lillian Leach)mixed group
Etta James & Peaches
Carmen Taylor & Boleros [[mixed)
La Vern baker & Gliders [[mixed)
Varetta Dillard and various male groups [[mixed)
Shirley Gunter & Queens
Teen Queens

Soul Sister
10-03-2013, 10:37 PM
Ikettes, Miretttes, Blackberries, & Session Artist Venetta Fields with Jimmy Scott ~

I think brotherlove sent me this photo. Thank you brotherlove!

S.S.

JIVE FIVE Mary G.
10-03-2013, 10:42 PM
The Five Royales for sure, Nothing But Soul. Great choice. You mentioned Bily Vera. He's a friend of mine on Facebook. He's really into this style of music and played guitar for many of the groups. He played guitar for Eugene Pitt for 13 years, and has said Pitt is the best of the "doo wop" lead singers. He'll get no argument from me. lol We did a surprise live 75th birthday radio show with famous callers for Eugene's birthday last November, and I got Billy to call in. They've been talking again ever since. A mutual admiration society. I believe Billy played guitar for the Flamingos and Shirelles, among others during those years.

Robb K, are the girl groups you listed the ones you would rank as the best, or just female groups you thought of?

I ask because I can think of a few more:

Barbara English & The Clickettes
Barbara Harris & The Toys
Also, Louise Murray is still performing as Louise Murray & The Hearts

~~Mary~~

Soul Sister
10-04-2013, 02:45 AM
Billy is a forever friend, I met him in 1965, he and Jimmy go way back too. What a talented all around musician who's worked with "every"body, his list of credits would fill a whole thread alone. Billy is also an amazing music historian, collector and personal friend to all the geezer's in the business, many no longer with us. Incredible resume`, Performer, Singer, Musician, Producer, liner note writer, and man.

BILLY VERA, here with Frankie Valli at Jimmy's 85th Birthday Celebration:

S.S.

robb_k
10-04-2013, 03:01 AM
The Five Royales for sure, Nothing But Soul. Great choice. You mentioned Bily Vera. He's a friend of mine on Facebook. He's really into this style of music and played guitar for many of the groups. He played guitar for Eugene Pitt for 13 years, and has said Pitt is the best of the "doo wop" lead singers. He'll get no argument from me. lol We did a surprise live 75th birthday radio show with famous callers for Eugene's birthday last November, and I got Billy to call in. They've been talking again ever since. A mutual admiration society. I believe Billy played guitar for the Flamingos and Shirelles, among others during those years.

Robb K, are the girl groups you listed the ones you would rank as the best, or just female groups you thought of?

I ask because I can think of a few more:

Barbara English & The Clickettes
Barbara Harris & The Toys
Also, Louise Murray is still performing as Louise Murray & The Hearts

~~Mary~~

I forgot The Clickettes, also The Bobbettes. There were also The Charmers, Candlettes, Angels. There really weren't very many all girl groups during The Doo Wop era [[1952-1960). The girls groups from 1961-72 I wouldn't consider "Doo Wop" or group harmony. We call those "Girls' Group Sound", It was a much more modern sound, as opposed to Doo Wop. Also, notice that I only listed one male group from the '60s [[Jive Five). Other '60s groups had a more modern, "Soul Sound" [[Miracles, Temptations, Little Anthony & [[new) Imperials, Platters [[new group), Falcons, Garnet Mimms & Enchanters, impressions, Billy Butler & Enchanters, etc.).

Nothing But Soul
10-04-2013, 06:17 AM
~~Mary~~

I agree with you and Billy Vera, Mary, Eugene Pitt is one of the best lead singers. I remember watching one of those T.J. Lubinsky doo wop concerts on PBS where Eugene Pitt sounded better than anyone else on the show. As I recall, for some reason Gene Chandler lip synched "Duke of Earl" while the other performers were singing live.

JIVE FIVE Mary G.
10-04-2013, 04:51 PM
Marv2, Somehow I missed your comment before. The Dells were a glaring omission from the Goldmine list IMHO.

Soul Sister, NICE PHOTOS!! Thanks for posting. You're so right about Billy Vera's talent and accomplishments. He's done acting, too, and is working on a cartoon project where he will be the only one in it not animated. As you know, he's currently perfoming with his jazz band at various venues.

Nothing But Soul, I was thrilled when I saw Billy post on Facebook Eugene Pitt is the best of the doo wop leads. Billy payed guitar for a lot of them, so that's high praise coming from him. Billy and I started posting to each other about it and that's how I got him to call in to the surprise birthday show for Eugene.

I believe the PBS Special you're referring to is "Doo Wop 50". I agree Eugene Pitt sounded better than anyone else on the show. The irony is, Eugene was released from the hospital the day before that performance, traveled from Brooklyn to Pittsburgh and performed against doctors orders and stll tore the house down. He still has his voice and I hear from fans all the time who attend the oldies concerts that Gene and The Jive Five were the best group they saw. I think you're right about Gene Chandler, if I recall correctly. I know it's been said they had to re-tape and edit some performances before going to air. Some artists have kept there voices better than others, and Eugene Pitt is certainly at the top of that list.

Robb K, I did notice The Jive Five were the only '60's group you included on your list. Their early work had a doo wop/R&B style to it, but Eugene believed in progressing with the times and they recorded more soulful numbers and even disco in later years. When they recorded their disco tunes, Eugene knew DJ's wouldn't play the songs if the label said Jive Five, so they recorded under the names, Shadow, Ebony, Ivory & Jade, Showdown and Sting. They were Sting before Sting was Sting. lol They've contiued to record through the decades when other groups stopped. Eugene and his brothers are currently working on a gospel album, which takes them back to their roots.

~~Mary~~

JIVE FIVE Mary G.
10-05-2013, 10:58 AM
Somehow this great video seems appropriate in this thread.:cool:

~~Mary~~

http://youtu.be/04CxmAanom4