PDA

View Full Version : Who's that buying a Supremes album!

test

theboyfromxtown
10-01-2013, 05:13 PM

I've not seen this picture before. Stephen Woods posted it on Facebook

I ♥ The Supremes and Temptations
10-01-2013, 06:35 PM
A rare Diana pic....Excellent!
I see Brenda Holloway, The Miracles and looks like the Motortown Revue Apollo album.

Roberta75
10-01-2013, 06:49 PM
great photo theboyfrommotown. Thanks for sharing.

Fondly,

Roberta

RossHolloway
10-01-2013, 07:32 PM
Great pic, one that I've never seen before. Thanks for posting.

carole cucumber
10-01-2013, 07:33 PM
There is also a photo from "Juice" posted on that site on September 26 that I'm surprised John Lester has not yet sought permission to reproduce here- it involves one of John's velvety voiced girls and her ex [[among others) at Levi Stubb's funeral.

Kamasu_Jr
10-01-2013, 07:48 PM
She's holding her own album and blocking those by Stevie Wonder and Marvin Gaye and Mary Wells. Was she in a record store or the Motown sales office? Dad says seeing records displaye that way made his pulse race. He would stand for hours trying to decide what album he would buy for $3.00.

RossHolloway
10-01-2013, 07:54 PM
@kamasu- I use to feel the same way when I walked into a record store growing up. The anticipation of not knowing what would be in stock is still exciting to me. I still get the same way the first time I walk into a used record store that I've never visited before.

carole cucumber
10-01-2013, 08:08 PM
The thing that caught my eye is that the Miracle's album is from 1961 and the others from 1964 [[and 1 possibly from 1965, depending on whether the bottom right album is Volume 2 of 'A Package Of 16 Big Hits' [[1964) or the 2nd edition of Vol 1 [[1965). I'm leaning towards it being Vol 2 .
And, Kam , the phone, the curtain, and the arm of the chair, lead me to believe this was taken at Motown.
But it is still somewhat puzzling that "Hi We're The Miracles" would be featured as the Miracles already had 6 other lp's released by 1964.

Methuselah2
10-02-2013, 12:50 AM
What a sensational photo, Tbfxt! It's a knockout! So rare. And so well done by Tbfxt. Thank you for posting. The early stuff gives me a jolt like nothing else can. Circa 1964, and the Supremes were hitting "JACKPOT!" Never saw this photo before--and yet it captures so much of its time and brings it all back to me. This shot's a real thrill!

theboyfromxtown
10-02-2013, 02:31 AM
There is also a photo from "Juice" posted on that site on September 26 that I'm surprised John Lester has not yet sought permission to reproduce here- it involves one of John's velvety voiced girls and her ex [[among others) at Levi Stubb's funeral.

I've not seen it carole cucumber. Have you a link for it?

carole cucumber
10-02-2013, 08:09 AM
I've not seen it carole cucumber. Have you a link for it?

John,
Go to Stephen Woods Facebook page, note the bar beneath his picture and name. Click on the link that reads 'Photos 23' [[8 photos , under the heading 'Photos of Stephen' should appear) and then click on the center phrase 'Stephen's photo's.
Tons of photos should appear in rows [[ 4 pictures in each row).
Scan down to row 17 and 19 and view the 4th picture in the respective row.

I hope this helps!

marybrewster
10-02-2013, 08:33 AM
I've seen this picture before, much clearer where you can definitely make out all of the LP's displayed.

One thing about Stephen Woods, he must spend HOURS scouring the net for Supremes pictures. Many are watermarked from eBay or various websites. I am shocked that he hasn't been asked to pull some of them down, due to copyright.

Girl, I love the Supremes, but he seems a little obsessive. And his "names" for the Supremes gowns? Child, don't make my mascara run from laughing.....

longtimefan
10-02-2013, 08:59 AM
I think that Stephen Woods does a wonderful job an is to be commended. His efforts are all done is a positive spirit of entertainment. Kudos!!!!

luke
10-02-2013, 11:37 AM
Agreed longtimefan. Havent we all been posting and discussing this stuff for years! lolol

bradsupremes
10-02-2013, 12:35 PM
I went after him after he posted several of my own photos on his page without my permission. He refused to take them down after I asked him to and so I had to contact Facebook to get them removed which they did. Not more than a few days later after he defriended me he reposted them again. Once again I had to ask Facebook to remove them as I claimed copyright.

And the names for those gowns! Ha! All of those names are names he gave them. Mary told me only a few of the famous sets had names like the TCB Green Swirl. The rest didn't. Yet he wants people to believe those were the original names in the designs. The gowns used in exhibits were given those names for the exhibit by the Rock Hall. As much as he loves posting photos he also makes up a lot of information.

theboyfromxtown
10-02-2013, 01:39 PM
Carole - I must have missed that. Wow. But i have to thank you for your wonderful and clear explanation...I actually found it all by myself using your guidance!

John,
Go to Stephen Woods Facebook page, note the bar beneath his picture and name. Click on the link that reads 'Photos 23' [[8 photos , under the heading 'Photos of Stephen' should appear) and then click on the center phrase 'Stephen's photo's.
Tons of photos should appear in rows [[ 4 pictures in each row).
Scan down to row 17 and 19 and view the 4th picture in the respective row.

I hope this helps!

rrussi
10-02-2013, 03:36 PM
I think she's in Berry's office, where he would have the lps displayed like at a shop.

RossHolloway
10-02-2013, 04:15 PM
That's Brenda Holloway's album in the top right corner.

kenneth
10-03-2013, 10:45 AM
And you can also see "Stevie at the Beach" behind "Where Did Our Love Go."