PDA

View Full Version : HDH's NOWHERE TO RUN >>>--> The Hullabaloo Version, 1965 - MARTHA-ROSALIND-BETTY

test

Methuselah2
09-27-2013, 05:12 AM
Many thanks to FunkSoBrudda for this YouTube posting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6JQ2Vzr0bQ

splanky
09-28-2013, 06:14 AM
Thank you, Methuselah and FunksoBrudda. It just ocurred to me how long I've been a fan of
a lot of Motown artists. Lawdy! That clip made me think about so many things, for instance
the girls live singing apparently over a pre recorded instrumental track. Was that the norm
for Hullabaloo? I loved Roz and Betty sparse choreography but when the camera zooms out
to show the Hullabaloo dancers the contrast is striking. Sometimes I like to watch 60's TV
show dancers, especially the Go Go dancers dance only because they often CAN"T if you
know what I mean:) Anyway, Martha was in great voice at this time and as much as I still love
this tune as much as I did then, it contains one of the scariest lyrics I've ever heard in my life:
When I look in the mirror to comb my hair
I see your face just a' smiling there...

Methuselah2
09-28-2013, 07:10 AM
Splanky - Glad you liked the clip. When The Supremes appeared on Hullabaloo that same year and sang BACK IN MY ARMS AGAIN, they sang live to a backing track. And I think that works best--gives the beauty and excitement of hearing it live while retaining the sound of the great music by using the backing track.

But in the NOWHERE video, one 'bump' into that platform by the Hullabaloo Dancers and it would have sent the Vandellas flyin'!

splanky
09-28-2013, 08:37 AM
But in the NOWHERE video, one 'bump' into that platform by the Hullabaloo Dancers and it would have sent the Vandellas flyin'!

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
How do we know that never happened?...

reese
09-28-2013, 08:59 AM
Near the top of the song, you can hear Rosalind give a little "ooh!" Makes me think the platform might have wobbled a bit.

floyjoy678
09-28-2013, 10:37 AM
People often sang live on "Hullabaloo" which is why I'm really not liking these new DVDs being put on by PBS because they dub the live performance with the recordings of the songs. The best was when the Supremes performed "Come See About Me" on the show along with a live band and not a pre-recorded backing track. Not to drift off topic here, I did always notice Rosalind seemed a little uneasy at the beginning of this clip and I don't blame her I would be too lol. Martha sounds great and love her serious facial expressions which the songs calls for.

jillfoster
09-28-2013, 11:49 AM
They stuck Kim up on that thing in an episode, too. I picture Martha saying "Get me the hell off this thing!" right after the tape cuts! LOL I asked her once about the clip on Where the Action is where they are on the roof of the lifeguard shack, and she told me that she told Dick Clark "You want me to stand WHERE!!!???" Cause that shack was a SHAKIN!, When I watched it the first time, I thought it was gonna come down!

marv2
09-28-2013, 12:20 PM
They stuck Kim up on that thing in an episode, too. I picture Martha saying "Get me the hell off this thing!" right after the tape cuts! LOL I asked her once about the clip on Where the Action is where they are on the roof of the lifeguard shack, and she told me that she told Dick Clark "You want me to stand WHERE!!!???" Cause that shack was a SHAKIN!, When I watched it the first time, I thought it was gonna come down!

What about the time they had them singing on the roof of the Roostertail in Detroit? LOL!

Kamasu_Jr
09-28-2013, 02:29 PM
People often sang live on "Hullabaloo" which is why I'm really not liking these new DVDs being put on by PBS because they dub the live performance with the recordings of the songs. The best was when the Supremes performed "Come See About Me" on the show along with a live band and not a pre-recorded backing track. Not to drift off topic here,

MPI has reissued four volumes of the Best of HULLABALOO, two of them features the Supremes' first Hullabaloo appearance in which they sang a hits medley and Come See About Me live. This is not dubbed. Another volume features the Ronettes. Aside from the Supremes, Marvin Gaye, Barbara McNair and Four Tops these reissues don't include a lot of Motown.

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Hullabaloo-4/dp/B00CQRNM0U/ref=pd_bxgy_mov_text_z

johnjeb
09-28-2013, 11:38 PM
MPI has reissued four volumes of the Best of HULLABALOO, two of them features the Supremes' first Hullabaloo appearance in which they sang a hits medley and Come See About Me live. This is not dubbed. Another volume features the Ronettes. Aside from the Supremes, Marvin Gaye, Barbara McNair and Four Tops these reissues don't include a lot of Motown.

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Hullabaloo-4/dp/B00CQRNM0U/ref=pd_bxgy_mov_text_z

Many thanks for this Kamasu, I just ordered Volumes 3 & 4.

The first time I saw The Supremes it was on Hullabaloo when they sang the medley. I think it was January 1965. I had just gotten the Where Did Our Love Go album for Christmas. I have never seen any clips and just a few pictures from this performance since. I think I got a brief glimpse of the performance during the PBS Girl Groups special last month. I was disappointed that they never showed the full clip.

Can't wait for my DVDs to arrive next week. At last I get to see this again.

This Martha & The Vandellas performance from Hullabaloo is magnificent. I don't see it on my VHS collection. Is it on a DVD?

Kamasu_Jr
09-28-2013, 11:55 PM
Many thanks for this Kamasu, I just ordered Volumes 3 & 4.

The first time I saw The Supremes it was on Hullabaloo when they sang the medley. I think it was January 1965. I had just gotten the Where Did Our Love Go album for Christmas. I have never seen any clips and just a few pictures from this performance since. I think I got a brief glimpse of the performance during the PBS Girl Groups special last month. I was disappointed that they never showed the full clip.

Can't wait for my DVDs to arrive next week. At last I get to see this again.

This Martha & The Vandellas performance from Hullabaloo is magnificent. I don't see it on my VHS collection. Is it on a DVD?

You're welcome Johnjeb. These DVDs have been on the market for about a month now. As you probably already know, MPI bought the rights to Hullabaloo back in the 1990s and at one time there were at least 8 to 12 different volumes on the market. However, the episode in which the Supremes first appeared on Hullabaloo was not in the first batch of VHS tapes AND later DVDS. These older volumes have gone up, as far as price, but some of them have been bootlegged. That Martha and the Vandellas clip is on one of the older MPI volumes.

REDHOT
09-29-2013, 07:06 AM
Thanks for postin' this Methuselah,i really enjoyed watching this,Martha and The Vandellas were at the top of the game,love it.Please stay positive

johnjeb
09-29-2013, 04:14 PM
You're welcome Johnjeb. These DVDs have been on the market for about a month now. As you probably already know, MPI bought the rights to Hullabaloo back in the 1990s and at one time there were at least 8 to 12 different volumes on the market. However, the episode in which the Supremes first appeared on Hullabaloo was not in the first batch of VHS tapes AND later DVDS. These older volumes have gone up, as far as price, but some of them have been bootlegged. That Martha and the Vandellas clip is on one of the older MPI volumes.

I have all 12 volumes of Hullabaloo on VHS tape, Nowhere To Run is on Volume 4. I missed it when I scanned my collection last night. Today I had better luck when I put on my bifocals.

I never bothered getting the DVDs since I had the tapes which I rarely watch. Sorry to hear they are priced out-of-reach. I guess that purchase will stay on a back-burner.

Just this very minute as I was getting ready to hit "submit" for this post, I heard an announcer on CBS Sports say "There's no place to run and no place to hide..." during his analysis of a team's performance. Nice coincidence.

Methuselah2
09-30-2013, 04:57 AM
Near the top of the song, you can hear Rosalind give a little "ooh!" Makes me think the platform might have wobbled a bit.

Reese - You're absolutely right. When Martha starts the first verse and Roz & Betty turn frontwards, Roz goes 'Ooh' as she sees the microphone shakin' and dancin' as much as she is. That platform, at any minute, could have given new meaning to the term 'Go-Go'! Luckily, it didn't happen. The set-up was certainly effective--but it was too risky and not worth the possibility of someone getting hurt. But I've got to give it to Roz--she took it in stride and with good humor as that microphone continued to move and show exactly what it was like being on the platform. It was probably just a matter of time until someone would have come up with the idea 'Tightrope'! Yikes!