PDA

View Full Version : Ben E King, Lala Brooks and Martha & Vandellas? Tomorrow night at BB KIngs

test

luke
09-26-2013, 12:10 PM
http://www.bbkingblues.com/bio.php?id=2463 When you click on tickets, there is a little box in left hand corner that says Ben E King, Martha and Vandellas and Original Drifters and La La Brooks. Show is called Ben E King and Friends.

honest man
09-26-2013, 02:37 PM
Martha supposed to be in UK tomorrow-Saturday i have tickets,she's pushin'it ha, cheers.

smark21
09-26-2013, 08:01 PM
Maybe I’m dense but I see no mention of who the “friends” are that will be performing with Ben E. King at the link provided. I did explore the BB Kings calendar and Martha will be performing Sunday Oct. 20 at 8PM.

reese
09-26-2013, 08:37 PM
If you go to the link above, it opens to the Ben E. King page on the club's website. If you click the GET TICKETS box on that page, it will take you to the Ticketmaster page for the concert. On there, it mentions the friends.

milven
09-26-2013, 09:42 PM
Here is the link
http://www.ticketmaster.com/Ben-E-King-tickets/artist/821412?tm_link=edp_Artist_Image

If they are all on that bill and tickets are $35, after their expenses, they are not even getting minimun wage.

How do they do it

marybrewster
09-27-2013, 02:29 PM
Here is the link
http://www.ticketmaster.com/Ben-E-King-tickets/artist/821412?tm_link=edp_Artist_Image

If they are all on that bill and tickets are $35, after their expenses, they are not even getting minimun wage.

How do they do it

I imagine for some of the artists, it's not about the money. It's about the chance to work with friends, and quite possibly, the chance to work at BB Kings. Could some of these acts, alone, fill the place?

And I imagine for BB Kings, a low ticket price is enticing to get people in the door. The $$$ can be made up elsewhere; in merchandise, drinks and dinner.

I looked at the website and didn't see any $35.00 tickets. Most tickets were either $40.00 or $75.00.

milven
09-27-2013, 06:17 PM
I imagine for some of the artists, it's not about the money. It's about the chance to work with friends, and quite possibly, the chance to work at BB Kings. Could some of these acts, alone, fill the place?

And I imagine for BB Kings, a low ticket price is enticing to get people in the door. The $$$ can be made up elsewhere; in merchandise, drinks and dinner.

I looked at the website and didn't see any $35.00 tickets. Most tickets were either $40.00 or $75.00.

I got the $35 price from the link provided in the original post above.
I notice now the link lists the friends who are appearing with Ben E King.

BEN E. KING & FRIENDS
BIRTHDAY show w Special Guests Charlie Thomas of The Drifters, La La Brooks of The Crystals, and Lonnie Youngblood
September 27, 2013

Showtime @ 8:00PM
Doors Open @ 6:00PM
Tickets $35.00 in advance, $40.00 day of show

I wonder if Charles Thomas of the Drifters will perform with Ben E King who used to be a Drifter back in the fifties and was lead on some of their biggest hits.

I like BB Kings. It's not massive but it is a good size. When I went, it reminded me of NYC's glory days with clubs like the Copa.

I saw Mary Wilson there and she filled the place. But back then she was billing herself as the Supremes. Because they made some kind of mistake with our tickets, we were allowed to stay for the second show too at no charge. Both shows looked sold out.

It was while at BB Kings that I realized how Mary manipulated her audience. Some of the people may have been disapointed that they were hearing a voice other than Diana doing the Supremes songs. But by the time she got to STOP and invited audience members on stage to be Supremes, her personality had started to win them over. After she left the Supremes songs behind and sang the songs that she does best, many audience members were appreciative of her.

But I don't think Mary would be able to fill BB KINGS if she were single billed there today. I recently saw her at an oldies show where she opened for Herman's Hermits with others on the act. I was disapointed because she just did Supremes oldies which is what the audience wanted. I didn't like the show. Tickets were $ 35 there too.

I hope you are right and they are doing it for the love of doing it. Because after the acts split that money and pay their bands and expenses, they probably make just about nothing.

drewschultz88
09-29-2013, 09:02 AM
I saw this too late in the game! Did anybody go to the show? I was playing that night in Lucille's [[B.B. King Blues Club's smaller room) with a Funk artist named Milo Z. It would have been cool to catch some of you all in person!