PDA

View Full Version : New York Soul Singer -- Rich Ward

test

jsmith
09-26-2013, 06:25 AM
Anyone here remember or know anything about New York based singer Rich Ward.
He was a NY cop till he decided [[around early 1969) to try to make it in show biz. Born in North Carolina , after moving up to New York he settled in Brooklyn and set about trying to establish a singing career for himself. He played gigs in small NY & Philly clubs and then via his manager [[Brooklyn based Wilbur Smith, a local dry cleaning magnate) he landed a booking at Pegleg Bates Country Club in Kerhonkson. This place had him performing in front of audiences of around 5000 folks and by all accounts, he took off with the ladies. He was wowing the crowds at the club through summer 1969 and on the strength of his performances got to cut a record [["He Will Break Your Heart") with Peg Leg Bates House Band. This escaped on the Hit label [[out of 1115 Union St, Brooklyn) and Rich was still with the label in 1973 when he cut "My Baby, She's Gone". He also played guitar and it seems likely then that it's him playing the weird distorted guitar parts [[if thats what they are) on this later track.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOr5HYRfRjo
However, he seems to have slipped out of sight after that 45 and who knows where he is now; still in the NY area or back in Carolina.
If anyone here knows, I love to learn more about the guy.

nosey
09-26-2013, 11:00 AM
Waiting to hear from Soul Sister.

imnokid
09-26-2013, 02:17 PM
Sounds like a varitone sax!

Kamasu_Jr
09-26-2013, 02:22 PM
No wonder I never heard of him... What an awful record.

Soul Sister
09-29-2013, 03:57 PM
Sorry Nosey & John, don't know him [[Rich Ward)...but Peg Leg Bates was a very popular black resort for Harlem folks. He [[Peg Leg) was a very popular act on the Chitlin` Circit and especially at the Apollo.

I knew of 'or' saw performances from unknown soul singers who were trying to make it in New York in the 'mid 1960's' but he isn't one of them.
Who comes to mind is SAMMY "Baby" AMBROSE [[my old pal), Rocky Roberts, Wess Johnson, and Jimmy Phelps around that time.
More lost soul artist's who were good were Derek Martin [[from Detroit), Timothy Wilson [[from N.J.), Tony Drake [[from N.Y.) from the area during this era, these three were really good singers as was Sammy Ambrose.

S.S.

nosey
09-30-2013, 06:30 PM
I agree with Kam, I didn't get through the whole record. Hope he's just singing in the church choir.