PDA

View Full Version : Bing Crosby & The Temptations - My Girl

test

mysterysinger
09-25-2013, 07:16 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3j1yYA_Ml8A

milven
09-25-2013, 08:43 AM
That was nice to watch. I always enjoyed the unique combination of artists from an earlier generation with our Motown artists [[Kate Smith, Andrews Sisters, Bing etc)

Also, I think this is the only time that I've seen or heard Paul do the lead for MY GIRL

Thanks for linking

marybrewster
09-25-2013, 10:04 AM
Thanks for the link!

Bing looks a little out of his element. Funny how contemporary artists of the time; The Supremes, The Temptations, Marvin Gaye, etc. never had an issue tackling the "classics", but "seasoned" artists, like Bing and The Andrews Sisters, struggled. Ever heard Maxine, LaVerne and Patty on "Baby Love"? Yikes.

milven
09-25-2013, 10:17 AM
Now Diana, Mary, Midler, Cher,Gladys are the seasoned artists, I wonder how they would do it they were matched up with today's artists - If there were still variety shows.

I kinda wanna answer my own question. I think the seasoned artists like Cher and the others mentioned above would have to stoop to the level of today's artists to compete. That would be easy. Thinking of the Andrews / Supremes combination, the Supremes had absolutely no problem doing the Andrews songs. Their harmony was just as perfect as the Andrews.

BayouMotownMan
09-25-2013, 03:16 PM
The problem with the Andrews Sisters renditions of Supremes hits on Sammy Davis is that they did the songs in harmony. They were not created that way, it was lead and response. It simply didn't work. And their choreography. YIKES

milven
09-25-2013, 08:11 PM
The problem with the Andrews Sisters renditions of Supremes hits on Sammy Davis is that they did the songs in harmony. They were not created that way, it was lead and response. It simply didn't work. And their choreography. YIKES

They should have sung it in the Supremes style with a lead singer. Patti was lead singer of her group but they also sang in harmony. When the Supremes sang the Andrews Sisters songs, they certified that they are a group, even though most of their hits are a lead singer with the rest of the group as background