PDA

View Full Version : R.I.P. Ken Norton Former Heavyweight Champ. August 9, 1943 – September 18, 2013

test

marv2
09-19-2013, 08:43 PM
http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/toledoblade/obituary.aspx?n=ken-norton&pid=167031070#fbLoggedOut

LAS VEGAS [[AP) - Former heavyweight champion Ken Norton, who beat Muhammad Ali and then lost a controversial decision to him in Yankee Stadium, died Wednesday at a local care facility, his son said. He was 70.

Norton had been in poor health for the last several years after suffering a series of strokes, a friend of the fighter said.

"He's been fighting the battle for two years," said Gene Kilroy, Ali's former business manager. "I'm sure he's in heaven now with all the great fighters. I'd like to hear that conversation."

Norton broke Ali's jaw in their first bout, beating him by split decision in 1973 in a non-title fight in San Diego. They fought six months later, and Ali narrowly won a split decision.

They met for a third time on Sept. 28, 1976, at Yankee Stadium and Ali narrowly won to keep his heavyweight title. Norton would come back the next year to win a heavyweight title eliminator and was declared champion by the World Boxing Council. But on June 9, 1978, he lost a bruising 15-round fight to Larry Holmes in what many regard as one of boxing's epic heavyweight bouts and would never be champion again.

Norton finished with a record of 42-7-1 and 33 knockouts. He would later embark on an acting career, appearing in several movies, and was a commentator at fights.

Norton started boxing when he was in the Marines, and began his pro career after his release from duty in 1967. He lost only once in his early fights but had fought few fighters of any note when he was selected to meet Ali. At the time, Ali was campaigning to try to win back the heavyweight crown he lost to Joe Frazier in 1973.

Few gave Norton, who possessed a muscular, sculpted body, much of a chance against Ali in the fight, held at the Sports Arena in San Diego, where Norton lived. But his awkward style and close-in pressing tactics confused his opponent and Norton broke Ali's jaw on the way to the decision that put him in the top echelon of heavyweight fighters.

TIM DAHLBERG, AP Boxing Writer

- See more at: http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/toledoblade/obituary.aspx?n=ken-norton&pid=167031070#fbLoggedOut

splanky
09-20-2013, 09:56 AM
Yea, I heard this on the news. RIP, Ken...

splanky
09-22-2013, 09:30 AM
This is from one of the many blogs I follow:

http://africasacountry.com/mandingo/

BTW, I agree with the comment about the piece being a bit short...

Jerry Oz
09-22-2013, 04:58 PM
RIP, Mandingo... The first fight is an all-time classic and a reminder of when boxing was still worth watching.

thomas96
09-23-2013, 03:01 PM
RIP, Mandingo... The first fight is an all-time classic and a reminder of when boxing was still worth watching.

Boxing is still worth watching... I've been waiting for years for Mayweather to get beat, and the day that he does will be like a second coming. Very sad that Mr Norton passed, though he did take a lot of blows to the head throughout his career. I'm honestly amazed Ali's still alive. Sugar Ray [[Robinson not Leonard) was my favorite prize fighter though. He was the greatest. The James Jamerson of boxing!

Jerry Oz
09-23-2013, 10:02 PM
I'm with you, Thomas. Although my brother and I still argue over the Leonard vs. Hagler fight. We watched it separately when he was in the Air Force and the night that he flew home. We even scored it and he thinks Leonard stole the rounds, I thought that Hagler controlled them for the first two minutes and deserved them. After enjoying pizza and an argument, we did it again the next day and guess what? Same scores. When I talk about boxing being worth watching, I remember the great boxers from back in the day. Muhammad Ali, Joe Frazier, Larry Holmes, Sugar Ray Leonard, Marvin Hagler, Roberto Duran, Aaron Pryor, Alexis Arguello, Wilfredo Benitez are just the first that come to mind. All would still be champions today. Oh, and Mayweather is the best thing for boxing since those names [[in my opinion, anyway).

thomas96
09-24-2013, 09:44 PM
I'm with you, Thomas. Although my brother and I still argue over the Leonard vs. Hagler fight. We watched it separately when he was in the Air Force and the night that he flew home. We even scored it and he thinks Leonard stole the rounds, I thought that Hagler controlled them for the first two minutes and deserved them. After enjoying pizza and an argument, we did it again the next day and guess what? Same scores. When I talk about boxing being worth watching, I remember the great boxers from back in the day. Muhammad Ali, Joe Frazier, Larry Holmes, Sugar Ray Leonard, Marvin Hagler, Roberto Duran, Aaron Pryor, Alexis Arguello, Wilfredo Benitez are just the first that come to mind. All would still be champions today. Oh, and Mayweather is the best thing for boxing since those names [[in my opinion, anyway).

Of course it won't be as good as back in the day, but it's still worth watching in my opinion at least. I agree Mayweather is the best thing for boxing, just since he's brought so much publicity to it. As for his style of fighting, and his hand-picking of opponents, he's hurting boxing... But at least he is bringing more people into it and away from the travesty that is MMA. I loved back when fighters were classy, win or lose... Ali is kind of a different story since he was kind of funny-cocky, but I mean before him like Sugar Ray Robinson, Jake LaMotta, Kid Gavilan, Randy Turpin, Joe Louis, Rocky Marciano, Rocky Graziano, Gene Fullmer, Floyd Patterson, etc.

Jerry Oz
09-25-2013, 12:39 PM
People wonder what boxing has to do to get its popularity back. The answer is simple: broadcast television. I remember watching Ali vs. Spinks on free television. Ali vs. Jimmy Young. Ali vs. Ernie Shavers. Ali vs. Ron Lyle. Almost all of Larry Holmes' fights [[I was out partying with my friends and missed Holmes winning the title vs. Norton). Michael Spinks was also on TV all the time.

Except when the politics are involved, boxing is pure as to be beautiful. My problem with boxing has always been the promoters and the judges. I stopped loving it when the decision between Sweet Pea Whitaker and Chavez was changed from a majority win for Whitaker to a majority draw... AFTER it was announced. I didn't trust it anymore and found myself holding my breath during every decision to see if what I saw was going to be invalidated. Way too unfair.

Anyway, only boxing fans know who the contenders are anymore. CBS did broadcast a couple of fights about six months ago and I watched and enjoyed them. Having to pay for every championship fight is a joke, by the way. Especially when, as you said, Mayweather picks his challengers and promotes the fights himself. It wasn't always that way. Where the hell is ABC's Wide World of Sports when you need it?