PDA

View Full Version : Anybody know if TV One's "UnSung" series is coming back?

test

Motown Eddie
09-18-2013, 11:35 AM
Does anyone know if TV One's "UnSung" is coming back for another season? It's been a few months since their last installment [[with Johnny Gill) and I have not heard about any new shows being done. I certainly hope that "UnSung" continues because it's a very good series and I learned a lot about some of my musical heroes from watching it.

Soul Sister
09-18-2013, 12:32 PM
YES! They will be coming back with Patti LaBelle, The Manhattans, & The Chi-Lites.

S.S.

Glenpwood
09-18-2013, 01:31 PM
Can't wait for the Patti LaBelle "Un-Sued" oops I mean Unsung.;)
Perhaps Cindy, Nona, and Sarah will participate....

RossHolloway
09-18-2013, 01:50 PM
How is Patti UNSUNG??

Jimi LaLumia
09-18-2013, 01:55 PM
if they're doing Patti LaBelle, they DEFINITELY need to do the 70's Supremes!

Soul Sister
09-18-2013, 03:55 PM
@Ross, I think it is really "The Bluebells" that are UNSUNG, that was her best era and start in the music business. I hope the episode will be mostly about that era of The Bluebells not Patti's life.

@Jimi, IMHO...The 70's Supremes [[Jean, Cindy, Mary) are NOT unsung.
Anything after that doesn't even count.

S.S.

thomas96
09-18-2013, 07:40 PM
They should really do an UnSung of Bobby Taylor.

MotownLover
09-18-2013, 08:13 PM

Yes, I thoroughly agree!

marv2
09-18-2013, 08:21 PM

Totally agree on that one!

smark21
09-18-2013, 09:21 PM
Have they done an episode on Jimmie Scott?

Soul Sister
09-18-2013, 10:09 PM
@smark21, Jimmy Scott wouldn't fall into the soul music era, what seems to be what they are mostly about.

Since Jimmy's had two national television documentaries done on him, he probably would NOT qualify.
1999-2000 Bravo Profiles: Jazz Masters "Why Was I Born" The Life and Times of Little Jimmy Scott.

2003-2004 PBS Independent Lens Award Winning Documentary [[Won over 300 other films)
"If You Only Knew" Jimmy Scott.

S.S.

marybrewster
09-19-2013, 08:48 AM
Not that you can believe everything you read, but Wiki states that Patti LaBelle has sold over 50 million records worldwide. Nothing about that screams "Unsung".

Motown Eddie
09-19-2013, 09:25 AM
YES! They will be coming back with Patti LaBelle, The Manhattans, & The Chi-Lites.

S.S.

Thanks so much for the info about "UnSung". I'm so glad to hear that they'll be coming back. Do they have a date for the new season?

Soul Sister
09-19-2013, 12:50 PM
@marybrewster, I agree. :)

You're wellcome, Motown Eddie.
All I was told was in the fall sometime. Exactly when? They came back asking me for more photo's. They said they'd send me a DVD when it was finished.

S.S.

brother_love
09-19-2013, 01:22 PM
The next season will also featured The Delfonics and The Emotions. There is no Patti in the works that I know of.

They are also starting a new series called Hollywood Unsung which shin a light on the likes of Flip Wilson and Dick Gregory.

Kamasu_Jr
09-19-2013, 04:34 PM
The next season will also featured The Delfonics and The Emotions. There is no Patti in the works that I know of.

They are also starting a new series called Hollywood Unsung which shin a light on the likes of Flip Wilson and Dick Gregory.,

Brother Love you are correct. I saw a commercial this morning for UNSUNG'S new season. It mentioned the GETO BOYS, CECE PENISTON, LISA LISA & CULT JAM , THE DELFONICS and HEAVY D. That's five episodes there. Maybe there will be another 5 episodes? Unsung's new season begins OCT. 30th or check your local cable TV listings.

motony
09-19-2013, 04:48 PM
I do not beleive Patti LaBelle has sold 50 million records .Thats adding all Blue Bells, La Belle, and solo 45's & LPS.That sounds like a promo story.

Soul Sister
09-19-2013, 05:02 PM
brother love, maybe you know more than me about the Patti episode or lack there of.

I can tell you they are doing The Manhattans and they are working on The Chi-Lites.

S.S.

luke
09-20-2013, 11:58 AM
Considering the quality of their work and how many forget they were successful after Diana, the 70s Supremes are certainly unsung to many.

brother_love
09-20-2013, 01:46 PM
Yes, indeed Soul Sister these I'm sure will be great episodes.

What I do think would make a great show would be Labelle Unsung since the group was together only six years, but in that short time they did accomplish a lot. When I say Labelle I mean just keeping focus on the years that they were a trio and of course mentioning what they did before and after as a group.
brother love, maybe you know more than me about the Patti episode or lack there of.

I can tell you they are doing The Manhattans and they are working on The Chi-Lites.

S.S.

midnightman
09-20-2013, 02:35 PM
It would've made sense doing a Bluebelles/Labelle Unsung. I'm seeing that it may not be true about LaBelle lol [[better not be).

When are they gonna announce the new season? Next month? I'm looking forward for the Manhattans [[my mom's favorite group) and the Chi-Lites though.

midnightman
09-20-2013, 02:37 PM
I do not beleive Patti LaBelle has sold 50 million records .Thats adding all Blue Bells, La Belle, and solo 45's & LPS.That sounds like a promo story.

I can believe five million. She's known not for how many records she had compared to...everyone else in her contemporary peer group lol, but her voice, outrageous looks and performance style helped to establish her.

midnightman
09-20-2013, 02:39 PM

Brother Love you are correct. I saw a commercial this morning for UNSUNG. It mentioned the GETTO BOYS, CECE PENISTON, LISA LISA & CULT JAM , THE DELFONICS and one other act that I forgotten. That's five episodes there. Maybe there will be another 5 episodes? Unsung's new season begins OCT. 11TH.

Ah! Didn't see this. Thanks! :)

daddyacey
09-21-2013, 01:10 AM
It looks like as an alternative to those not considered "Unsung", are covered in the "Life After" series that features for example Shirley Murdock. Any show on the artists or groups of the genre are welcome as a form of historical documentation.

Motown Eddie
10-07-2013, 10:04 AM
And here's a promo for the new season of "UnSung" from TV One's website;

http://tvone.tv/shows/unsung/video/unsung--new-season-october-30-.html

milven
10-07-2013, 10:35 AM
Considering the quality of their work and how many forget they were successful after Diana, the 70s Supremes are certainly unsung to many.

Technically, there is no group called the 70's Supremes, or the New Supremes. It is one group that started in the sixties and ended in the seventies and it had various members and lead singers. We, the fans, separate them.

We don't do that for groups like the Drifters, and Platters, and Bluenotes, and Miracles, who also had many changes in personnel and lead singers.

We also recognize that Martha Reeves and the Vandellas is the same group as Martha and the Vandellas; we recognize that Smokey Robinson and the Miracles is the same group as the Miracles; but we Supremes fans will separate the Supremes from Diana Ross and the Supremes.

Since the "70's Supremes" was a timeline of the most successful female group, I can't consider them unsung. And as a fan of that period of their history, I feel that they were as successful and any other female group of the period.

jobeterob
10-07-2013, 11:03 AM
Is there some suggestion there will be an Unsung on the 70's Supremes? Or Jean Terrell? Or Mary Wilson?

midnightman
10-09-2013, 01:59 AM
No. And that would look silly. Then you'd hear Temptations fans going "if they can do that to the Supremes, why not the Temptations in the '70s?!" And there were like four different Temptations lineups in the '70s lol

ejluther
10-09-2013, 04:39 AM
We don't do that for groups like the Drifters, and Platters, and Bluenotes, and Miracles, who also had many changes in personnel and lead singers.

We also recognize that Martha Reeves and the Vandellas is the same group as Martha and the Vandellas; we recognize that Smokey Robinson and the Miracles is the same group as the Miracles; but we Supremes fans will separate the Supremes from Diana Ross and the Supremes But don't we make the designation because of the name change[[s) done by Motown itself? From "The Supremes" to "Diana Ross & The Supremes" then back to "The Supremes"? [[I wonder if they should have gone with "Jean Terrell & The Supremes" or "The New Supremes", after all...) Did the Vandellas or the Miracles continue on for many years and have some chart successes without Martha or Smokey? If so, I'd say they'd be "unsung", too, because most people don't think of those groups as existing without their in-the-title lead singer. I, for one, would like to see an UNSUNG featuring the post-Diana Ross Supremes - they really were like a different group with various new approaches and musical styles and I'd love to see their music get more deserved exposure and attention. As a Supremes fan I'm constantly schooling folks on the post-Diana Ross material as they simply don't know it or, if they do recognize it, they assume it's Diana singing [[as much as that will irritate some of you - not everyone listens as closely or as well as we do). In fact, it seems to me that UNSUNG is made for those kind of people, not for major fans like ourselves. Not to mention that I just selfishly want more Supremes on TV! ;-)

jobeterob
10-09-2013, 07:30 PM
To me, the 70's Supremes are not really unsung.

Perhaps an Unsung on Jean or Mary or both at once is appropriate. If there was an Unsung on Patti Labelle, then there definitely should be one on the 70's Supremes or Mary or Jean.

thomas96
10-10-2013, 08:57 PM
It looks like as an alternative to those not considered "Unsung", are covered in the "Life After" series that features for example Shirley Murdock. Any show on the artists or groups of the genre are welcome as a form of historical documentation.

I saw the Life After episode featuring Malcolm Jamal Warner [[Theo from the Cosby Show), and I'll have to say it was absolutely fantastic. Just too short. I don't know if its for those not considered on Unsung or for something different all together.

midnightman
10-11-2013, 02:30 PM
To me, the 70's Supremes are not really unsung.

Perhaps an Unsung on Jean or Mary or both at once is appropriate. If there was an Unsung on Patti Labelle, then there definitely should be one on the 70's Supremes or Mary or Jean.

And Patti's far from being "unsung".

midnightman
10-11-2013, 02:31 PM
I saw the Life After episode featuring Malcolm Jamal Warner [[Theo from the Cosby Show), and I'll have to say it was absolutely fantastic. Just too short. I don't know if its for those not considered on Unsung or for something different all together.

Life After is about celebrities who hit it big either for a while or became legends [[Marla Gibbs, Clifton Davis, etc.) and explained what happened to them after their fame peaked.

jobeterob
10-11-2013, 07:15 PM
The Patti Labelle show seems pretty odd. She is a lot of things but I don't think she quite fits in the "Unsung" Category.