PDA

View Full Version : Tarzan and the Supremes

test

thommg
09-17-2013, 02:58 PM
If anyone is interested, Warner Archives is releasing the second season of Tarzan which features the episode starring Diana Ross and the Supremes. It says it is newly remastered.

http://shop.warnerarchive.com/product/code/1000439315.do?adid=0917WACNRCml&ref=EW0917C

BayouMotownMan
09-17-2013, 03:32 PM
Bootleg of that is good enough for me.

Kamasu_Jr
09-17-2013, 06:59 PM
Bootleg of that is good enough for me.

You can say that again. This second season of Tarzan will set you back almost $50.00. Most Supremes fans will just want the one episode, which was pretty corny and the Supremes gave still performances, in my opinion.

marybrewster
09-18-2013, 08:26 AM
But still, thank you thommg for posting. :)

thommg
09-18-2013, 08:43 PM
But still, thank you thommg for posting. :)

You're welcome, marybrewster. I'm sure there are some completists out there who will order the set.

rrussi
09-18-2013, 09:31 PM
I remember when it aired. I remember first reading about it in Billboard. It seemed odd and strange that they would do that, but it was okay, at least when I saw it in '68. The songs they did were good and, I think, only the three of them singing [[no Andantes!!!--lol).

BayouMotownMan
09-19-2013, 06:59 PM
I think Diana and Mary did admirable jobs with lackluster script. Cindy might have had two lines. I was impressed with Diana's athletics, clearly she used no double diving for that trunk. She was a superb swimmer. Ironically, Flo was in the group when the deal was made but Cindy did the appearance just a couple months after being in the group. Their harmonies were good, but in the first song Mary is singing loud...but very well. That was the problem I had with all live performances of DRATS, Mary was quite louder than Cindy. Listen to the Talk of the Town. For most of that lp is sounds as if Mary is the lone backing singer.

thisoldheart
09-19-2013, 07:08 PM
i always though this little t.v. adventure, tarzan & the supremes was one of the oddest things motown did ... and motown did some pretty strange things! it was, for me, most unpleasant to watch!

BigAl
09-24-2013, 10:04 AM
That was one odd series, and especially this episode. It was touted all around that the character of Tarzan would be more true to Edgar Rice Burroughs' premise: that Tarzan was an educated, erudite English nobleman who just happened to prefer running around the jungle in a loincloth because he had been raised for part of his youth by apes and jungle folk and preferred that kind of life. But this Tarzan spoke with a California accent and rarely had a hair out of place. So much for authenticity.

Booker Bradshaw, who had been a longtime friend of Diane and Mary, was cast opposite Diane in this one. Whether he was hired because of her, or vice-versa, I suppose is anyone's guess, or it might have been entirely coincidental. As I remember, Cindy had one line and Mary had two, so in essence they were little more than window dressing. Diane had not really honed her acting chops yet so the whole thing sort of fell flat. It's a fun little piece of obscure Supremes' history for fans but that's about where it ends I'm afraid.