PDA

View Full Version : Supremes You Are The Heart of Me on Soul Train

test

smark21
09-16-2013, 08:52 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6auhXcd3_f4

Kamasu_Jr
09-16-2013, 08:56 PM
Better watch it Smark, forum members are grumbling about Supremes videos that have been posted on the forum before. This one has been here before. :-) The choreographer for this song/performance was former Soul Train dancer Damita Jo Freeman. The Supremes began working with other choreographers around 1975-1976. Was it because Cholly Atkins was too busy, running out of fresh ideas or they could no longer afford him?

jobeterob
09-16-2013, 09:03 PM
Surely, they could no longer afford.

jillfoster
09-16-2013, 10:28 PM
At this time, this is what Cholly was doing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6b4z563yW4

marv2
09-17-2013, 12:18 AM
Surely, they could no longer afford.

Oh yeah right! They couldn't afford Cholly, but they could afford Geoffrey Holder and the legendary Carmen De Lavallade ? You crack me up with your lack of knowledge about things hehehehehehe........

supremester
09-17-2013, 12:47 AM
This was a very viable record in it's day. It sucks that it didn't hit.

supremester
09-17-2013, 12:58 AM
In '77, they couldn't afford them, either. hehehehehehehe............ That's why Mary did all the economizing she talked about in her book, lolololol and YOU crack ME up hehehehehehe. PS In my interview con Cholly, he stated very clearly his position with Mary and her latter day Supremes.
Oh yeah right! They couldn't afford Cholly, but they could afford Geoffrey Holder and the legendary Carmen De Lavallade ? You crack me up with your lack of knowledge about things hehehehehehe........

Kamasu_Jr
09-17-2013, 06:15 AM
Fill us in Supremester. What was Cholly's position with Mary and the later Supremes? He had been working with them since 1964 or 1965.

supremester
09-17-2013, 11:49 PM
First, Cholly really loved Mary up to a point, then, it seems, she did things he "didn't approve of." He wouldn't elaborate, he was kind of ............... stubborn [[and not unaware of his greatness) and was careful not to dish heavy dirt, but, I think he was referring to the Mary/Pedro thing [[group went in the WRONG direction) and that, in retrospect, the odd similarity between Flo & Mary being that they were bg singers together and when given the chance, didn't have the vision [[ not his word, but this was 20 years ago) to know what would work on stage. Geez, I should dig out that tape and post it - he also said how he barely had heard of The Supremes when he got hired "because this girl had what it took to go all the way." He said Ross was stubborn and kind of know-it-all-ish and he was totally put off that this teenager was telling HIM how things should be. They had fights that Berry had to referee but both accepted his decisions and didn't take the fight back into rehearsal. He said they were never close and she was "all business, and finally began to respect her vision for the group." Also he didn't think much of her until he saw her on stage and agreed that she had a unique ability. Anyway, he loved Mary and lived in her duplex for decades, but he didn't think she was too smart about men and his wife would try to bring Mary down to earth. I think Mary had the whole basement and he used it to teach Cindy the show and then, while Mary was out of town, he taught Flo her solo show and never got paid for it. He said Flo's show was solid, but she was pregnant and not into rehearsing and that Tommy, like Pedro, knew nothing. More in a bit

jillfoster
09-18-2013, 12:43 AM
First, Cholly really loved Mary up to a point, then, it seems, she did things he "didn't approve of." He wouldn't elaborate, he was kind of ............... stubborn [[and not unaware of his greatness) and was careful not to dish heavy dirt, but, I think he was referring to the Mary/Pedro thing [[group went in the WRONG direction) and that, in retrospect, the odd similarity between Flo & Mary being that they were bg singers together and when given the chance, didn't have the vision [[ not his word, but this was 20 years ago) to know what would work on stage. Geez, I should dig out that tape and post it - he also said how he barely had heard of The Supremes when he got hired "because this girl had what it took to go all the way." He said Ross was stubborn and kind of know-it-all-ish and he was totally put off that this teenager was telling HIM how things should be. They had fights that Berry had to referee but both accepted his decisions and didn't take the fight back into rehearsal. He said they were never close and she was "all business, and finally began to respect her vision for the group." Also he didn't think much of her until he saw her on stage and agreed that she had a unique ability. Anyway, he loved Mary and lived in her duplex for decades, but he didn't think she was too smart about men and his wife would try to bring Mary down to earth. I think Mary had the whole basement and he used it to teach Cindy the show and then, while Mary was out of town, he taught Flo her solo show and never got paid for it. He said Flo's show was solid, but she was pregnant and not into rehearsing and that Tommy, like Pedro, knew nothing. More in a bit

Oh YES, please dig that sucker out and post it, sounds fascinating. And Mary made bad decisions when it came to men? Well... I suppose a whole BUNCH of us have been hypnotized by a nice piece of dick.... I know how she feels! LOL