PDA

View Full Version : Jean addresses Diana comparisons and Mary praises Lynda

test

luke
09-15-2013, 06:51 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MqImI9EXx0 I find the perforamnce a bit messy and Jean does her thing--but their charisma triumphs!. Sexy! Interesting interview.

marybrewster
09-16-2013, 12:05 PM
The performance is a bit of a mess; Jean is all over the place and Mary and Lynda aren't really in synch.

I've seen this above clip many times before but one thing I noticed today is, especially around the 3:30 mark, look at the choreography that Mary [[and Lynda too) are doing. It's the same dance steps as their performace of "Your Wonderful Sweet Sweet Love" in the short white mini-dresses. See below.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6ssN5gr1WI

Jimi LaLumia
09-16-2013, 12:19 PM
Jean was too busy thinking of her next chance to start 'souling' instead of remembering where she comes in [[she misses at least two major cues here) and refuses to perform the record that people actually bought.. and it was a little early for her to start going 'renegade', wasn't it?

marv2
09-16-2013, 01:43 PM
The performance is a bit of a mess; Jean is all over the place and Mary and Lynda aren't really in synch.

I've seen this above clip many times before but one thing I noticed today is, especially around the 3:30 mark, look at the choreography that Mary [[and Lynda too) are doing. It's the same dance steps as their performace of "Your Wonderful Sweet Sweet Love" in the short white mini-dresses. See below.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6ssN5gr1WI

This performance was beautifully executed. They sound and look great! The choreography is the same here for " Your Wonderful Sweet, Sweet Love" because it is the same song! duh!

BayouMotownMan
09-16-2013, 01:54 PM
It is not the same song. DUH. It was the same dance steps on Stoned Love that had been used on Wonderful Sweet Love earlier when they were on Flip Wilson

Roberta75
09-16-2013, 02:14 PM
It is not the same song. DUH. It was the same dance steps on Stoned Love that had been used on Wonderful Sweet Love earlier when they were on Flip Wilson

Your talking to the person who posted a video of "mary Wilson" being sampled on a rap song when it was actually Dionne Warwick. LOL

marv2
09-16-2013, 02:35 PM

That is NOT MaryBrewster said in his/her post. Stay outta it!

marv2
09-16-2013, 02:37 PM
Your talking to the person who posted a video of "mary Wilson" being sampled on a rap song when it was actually Dionne Warwick. LOL

The "Christian" aggitator/instigator "lady" is at it again!

BayouMotownMan
09-16-2013, 02:44 PM
Ohh, it was Dionne Warwick. In any event, it didn't work for me

Roberta75
09-16-2013, 03:06 PM
The "Christian" aggitator/instigator "lady" is at it again!

You seem real catty 24/7 dear. Try Yoga it really helps.

Roberta

marybrewster
09-16-2013, 03:12 PM

Thank you BayouMotownMan. That is not what I said.

Let's break it down:

I've seen this above clip many times before but one thing I noticed today is, especially around the 3:30 mark, look at the choreography that Mary [[and Lynda too) are doing.

The "above" clip is "Stoned Love"

It's the same dance steps as their performace of "Your Wonderful Sweet Sweet Love" in the short white mini-dresses. See below.....

The "below" clip is "Sweet, Sweet Love".

Duh.

marybrewster
09-16-2013, 03:13 PM
You seem real catty 24/7 dear. Try Yoga it really helps.

Roberta

Catty? You are being generous, Miss Roberta. Very lady-like. I, Lord forgive me, am not as lady-like.

marybrewster
09-16-2013, 03:14 PM
And for those curious, I'm certain that the "Sweet, Sweet Love" clip has been posted about a bazillion times.

Stuff happens. Duh.

Roberta75
09-16-2013, 03:36 PM
And for those curious, I'm certain that the "Sweet, Sweet Love" clip has been posted about a bazillion times.

Stuff happens. Duh.

Yep its been posted many many times but his bff Luke reposted it marybrewster so predictably he get a pass. :cool:

Roberta

Kamasu_Jr
09-16-2013, 04:20 PM
Yep its been posted many many times but his bff Luke reposted it marybrewster so predictably he get a pass. :cool:

Roberta

Hmmmmmm, my thoughts exactly. Luke reposts the same video clips A LOT. Why is it so annoying when someone else does it?

smark21
09-16-2013, 08:08 PM
Was Cholly Atkins still their choreographer at this point? Or someone else? Or did whoever was choreographing the act only designed steps for a few numbers which they then recycled for other songs?

Kamasu_Jr
09-16-2013, 08:27 PM
I'm fairly certain Cholly Atkins was still the Supremes choreographer when they appeared on the Mike Douglas Show. If they were doing recycled steps, it was probably Cholly Atkins' idea. He was very in demand at this time working with Gladys Knight & The Pips, the Spinners, the O'jays, the Temptations, etc.

captainjames
09-16-2013, 09:21 PM
Its a mess ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~move on

franjoy56
09-17-2013, 12:56 AM
Its a mess ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~move on

The performance was not a mess, I actually like the tempo of this song faster than the actual record, with that being said Jean turned it out and added her soul and it was not too early for her to go renegate, she said she wasn't too crazy about the Smokey Robinson project, so she took things into her own hands by "Souing" the record only went to #54 so it didn't matter the performance was great. By the 70's singers were coming out an adlipping and this performance prooves that concept.

Mary and Lynda looked and sounded fine. I like the choregraphy better than the Stoned Love choregoray on M Douglas.

supremester
09-17-2013, 01:18 AM
Did anyone ask for my two cents? Here's a dime and keep the change, Marvella. I love both songs on this show. It's a shame the audio is damaged, I originally thought Jean had a cold. By now, Jean WAS a star. she had "it" and was developing beautifully. This clip is a mess, but not cuz of Jean, IMO. First, those coats look awful on Lynda and Mary and clashed with their hair- I'd have had it only on Jean. Second: Mary, AS USUAL, is hamming it up so much she's distracting from Jean, who, IMHO, is hitting her first home run on national television. For heaven's sake, Mary - give it a rest - we WILL look at you! No wonder Jean and Lynda stopped talking to her - this is inexcusable to overact like that. Third: I love Mary's hair, but why, oh, why did she ruin the look with that drag queen coat? Her hair was trying to make a statement and the coat wasn't having it, honey! the lighting on the songs was terrible.....They were ready to really make it but They needed a stylist BADLY!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jimi LaLumia
09-17-2013, 09:46 AM
by the way, my 'souling' reference above, and Jean missing cues etc is in reference to the disaster of a performance of "Stoned Love" up top.. Jean apparently was determined to show the world she was Aretha .. well, not during "Stoned Love", my dear..just SING the song!!! sheesh..

REDHOT
09-17-2013, 11:21 AM
Lol,lol,lol,lol,tooo funny

jillfoster
09-17-2013, 11:37 AM
by the way, my 'souling' reference above, and Jean missing cues etc is in reference to the disaster of a performance of "Stoned Love" up top.. Jean apparently was determined to show the world she was Aretha .. well, not during "Stoned Love", my dear..just SING the song!!! sheesh..

For the record, she didn't MISS the cue in the middle of the song, she came in too early. And like a pro, she covered it beautifully.

jillfoster
09-17-2013, 11:47 AM
Did anyone ask for my two cents? Here's a dime and keep the change, Marvella. I love both songs on this show. It's a shame the audio is damaged, I originally thought Jean had a cold. By now, Jean WAS a star. she had "it" and was developing beautifully. This clip is a mess, but not cuz of Jean, IMO. First, those coats look awful on Lynda and Mary and clashed with their hair- I'd have had it only on Jean. Second: Mary, AS USUAL, is hamming it up so much she's distracting from Jean, who, IMHO, is hitting her first home run on national television. For heaven's sake, Mary - give it a rest - we WILL look at you! No wonder Jean and Lynda stopped talking to her - this is inexcusable to overact like that. Third: I love Mary's hair, but why, oh, why did she ruin the look with that drag queen coat? Her hair was trying to make a statement and the coat wasn't having it, honey! the lighting on the songs was terrible.....They were ready to really make it but They needed a stylist BADLY!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is VERY unfortunate about the sound. All early 70's Mike Douglas shows have that awful sound degradation from the original videotape. And I also agree about MAry's hair, and the coat fighting with it. The lighting... well, it's Mike Douglas, daytime talk shows never had the budget for good lighting or great bands or sound systems like a prime time variety show. Mike, Merv, and Dinah were all similar in that respect, although I think Mike Douglas' band was AWFUL. But anyway, here is another example of another Mike Douglas clip with the same audio issues.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jr9hPbYmBo

supremester
09-17-2013, 12:56 PM
Wow - you're right about the sound. I think there must be good copies available for a price - there's a company making clips available for $$$$. This lighting is FINE for The New Coke Singers, but JML were THE SUPREMES and should have been treated special. Even Ross got decent lighting on Dinah! I'm so happy people have posted these later JML clips as I had bailed a year or so earlier and never knew Jean had flourished so well. They had the talent - even Gil said JML was the best of The Rossless Supremes, but how many women can out sing Madonna? You gotta have it all and almost every clip of The Rossless Supremes I see, they don't have it all - but damn, Jean got good.

Jimi LaLumia
09-17-2013, 01:30 PM
as apparent from previous posts of mine, I am a big Jean fan..but watch "Stoned Love" again, she screws up at least three major times, coming in too early, jumping on board too late, re-writing the lyrical presentation [[and not for the better)..she wanted to show the world, as she told Mike Douglas, that it's all about the vocals now.. well, Jean, in that case, making such a statement, try getting the vocal presentation right before you go onto national television..it isn't like she just joined the girls a month before..

BayouMotownMan
09-17-2013, 02:30 PM
You know I really think that only the fans pick up on Jean's errors. She covered them well. It was very early in the morning that they taped and usually on Douglas rehearsals were limited.

What I noticed about this performance is the interview segment. Jean and Mary were at loggerheads during this period and when Mary talks about adopting her son Jean looks at her with what looks like contempt. There truly was little warmth between them and it shows. At one point Jean addressed Mary about wearing the gowns but Douglas interrupted. Not on YouTube is that later segment when the ladies wig collections was displayed.

supremester
09-17-2013, 02:30 PM
I agree with you that Jean was exactly as you report. That being said - she's confident, fully engaged in the visual presentation and has the mannerisms of an entertainer - not a wannabe. And, let's face it, by this time, The Supremes had slipped a great deal - Jean was blossoming and trying, in her way, to make it work. The great Diana Ross made mistakes like coming in too early on so many songs, I can't list them all. There's a greater concern: The show's the thing and IMO, Jean was delivering. Personally, I never cared for her early ad libs and vocal histrionics, but, I'm actually enjoying watching her here and subsequent TV appearances doing this song, Bad Weather and others. It's too bad Jean didn't have these chops in 1970 - things wooda been way different - JMC wooda had a star. Do you know why she gave it all up?

Kamasu_Jr
09-17-2013, 02:31 PM
God you guys are critiquing a performance from more than 40 years ago that can't be changed. One of you offered suggestions to Jean who is no longer with the Supremes. Do you realize how looney you sound?

jillfoster
09-17-2013, 02:33 PM
Wow - you're right about the sound. I think there must be good copies available for a price - there's a company making clips available for $$$$. This lighting is FINE for The New Coke Singers, but JML were THE SUPREMES and should have been treated special. Even Ross got decent lighting on Dinah! I'm so happy people have posted these later JML clips as I had bailed a year or so earlier and never knew Jean had flourished so well. They had the talent - even Gil said JML was the best of The Rossless Supremes, but how many women can out sing Madonna? You gotta have it all and almost every clip of The Rossless Supremes I see, they don't have it all - but damn, Jean got good.

Unfortuantely not... if you paid big $ to that company, you'd get the exact same sound fault, the degredation is on the master tape. Some are worse than others. The person who originally got that JML Mike Douglas performance got a copy direct from Group W, a copy straight from the master, paid 475$ for it. And Dinah did have better lighting than Mike Douglas. i've always chalked that up to Dinah being a woman, they tend to be more concerned with how they are lit.

jillfoster
09-17-2013, 02:34 PM
God you guys are critiquing a performance from more than 40 years ago that can't be changed. One of you offered suggestions to Jean who is no longer with the Supremes. Do you realize how looney you sound?

Wer'e like people who talk sports trivia. Yes, we all know it can't be changed, but we still like to dissect the things. There's a large contingent of people who are interested in music performances from the 60's and 70's... the hunt for ones that are thought to be lost, the historical preservation of ones that are still around, etc. It's just a hobby.

BayouMotownMan
09-17-2013, 02:57 PM
Jean gave it all up for love of family. She felt Motown had turned their backs on her and the group and she fell in love with the man she wanted to start a family with. Family was first and foremost in Jean's mind. Even when her kids had grown and she and her husband split up, traveling with the FLOs, she never like being away from home for very long. Jean loved singing but ultimately dislike show "business."

marv2
09-17-2013, 04:50 PM
as apparent from previous posts of mine, I am a big Jean fan..but watch "Stoned Love" again, she screws up at least three major times, coming in too early, jumping on board too late, re-writing the lyrical presentation [[and not for the better)..she wanted to show the world, as she told Mike Douglas, that it's all about the vocals now.. well, Jean, in that case, making such a statement, try getting the vocal presentation right before you go onto national television..it isn't like she just joined the girls a month before..

Now this is coming from a guy that probably can't even sing! He wants to tell one of the premier female vocalists from the 70's who is in the top female group in the World how to do it! LOL!!!!!!

Jimi LaLumia
09-17-2013, 05:43 PM
I repeat: I'm a Jean fan..but obviously, someone should have told somebody something,held onto the reins [[NOT Mary's husband!), and then maybe they would have stayed the top female vocal group in the world..

supremester
09-17-2013, 07:02 PM
People are engaged in a convo that seems to be interest them. I am one of them. Evidently, I am a loon. I see Diana Ross 10-40x a year, I'm used to it!

Jimi LaLumia
09-17-2013, 07:42 PM
and I've read that actual 'time travel' is something on the horizon... there's still hope!

REDHOT
09-18-2013, 12:46 AM
Supremester the post could be about a can of soup,and you'd bring up Diana's name,i notice you do it all the time, REALLY ? LOL.

REDHOT
09-18-2013, 01:10 AM
I think Jean would have left The Supremes,even if they[[the supremes) would have had 10 number 1s, hit records,yes a lot of people blame Motown,for Jean leaving The Supremes,sure she didn't like Motown's treatment,but no matter what happen,Jean wanted out,Jean was not a easy person to get alone with,Mary didn't want Jean to leave,and so Lynda left also,now that's another story lol.Please stay positive

supremester
09-18-2013, 02:47 AM
Because she's a souper Supreme! [[AND, although I may be wrong about this - forgive me if I am, please) her name is in the title of this thread. : ) Positively Yours AND staying that way, Supremester.
Supremester the post could be about a can of soup,and you'd bring up Diana's name,i notice you do it all the time, REALLY ? LOL.

jaybs
09-18-2013, 06:13 AM
I have seen nearly all Motown artists live and interviewed them, quite a few got something wrong in a performance, but most ears would not be able to tell. Sometimes real deep fans can be too Critique! Remember also these days most artists Mime on TV, and on stage they use some backing tracks. One very successful 90's UK Boy Band, still going, used to have session singers backstage to do the BV's the members of the band were singing. Just think how good these Motown artists we love were in the 60's, no state of the art recording equipment like today, or autotune.

REDHOT
09-18-2013, 09:57 AM
You're right Jaybs,that's why i love the entertainers,from back in the day,I never saw The Suprmes Mary Florence and Diana in person,i was too young,when i first heard of The Supremes,they were Mary Cindy and Jean,i fell in love with them,right from the start,i saw them live in Chicago,they were amazing,no tracks,just they're own voices,with a great act,they came back,the next year with a new Supreme,Lynda Laurence,Cindy was gone,i said,i don't like this new Supreme Lynda,i was silly and young,not knowin' anything lol,but when Mary Jean and Lynda hit the stage,they were better then ever,Lynda was such a pro,that why i was so happy,when The Supremes Live in Japan came out on cd,it took me back to those days,trust me The Supremes Mary Wilson Jean Terrell and Lynda Laurence was A class act,all the way,all 3 could sang lead,and all three were Beautiful,they always put on a phenomenal show.THE BEST.Please stay positive

jillfoster
09-18-2013, 10:38 AM
Let's keep in mind that Jean was a Jehova's witness and still is, they can be one hell of a pain in the ass.

REDHOT
09-18-2013, 10:54 PM
lol atcha Jillfoster

franjoy56
09-18-2013, 11:03 PM
I repeat: I'm a Jean fan..but obviously, someone should have told somebody something,held onto the reins [[NOT Mary's husband!), and then maybe they would have stayed the top female vocal group in the world..

This statement is dumb period. Who should have told somebody something about the Supremes performances. The Supremes did the best they could especially with Motown pulling back on their publicity and promotion. I love the Supremes on tv in the 1970's it was like a breath of fresh air. The movements are exciting, the vocals more integrated, the singing that not with the record was right on, the only flaws i could see was when they performed on the Aug. 25, 1973 the last Supremes performance on the Kate Smith Special where they were all over the place and out of sync, and it was their last performance with Jean Terrell. That first performance on the Ed Sullivan Show set the stage for that record "UP the Ladder to the Roof" to be selling out in the stores, The next great performance was when they did the Glen Campbell show and sang Everybody's got the right to love, and a Glen Campbell, tune, then they hit pay dirt, when they hit the Tom Jones Special, and did Stoned Love/River- Deep and turned in a fabulous performance singing a Neil Diamond song Brother Love's Traveling Salvation Show, where Ms. Terrell does a fabulous adlib reading "Now People......." and the choregoraphy was fabulous the best dance moves the Supremes ever did on that show. so by 1972 Jean had the right to adlib or turn a performance into a special treat like "your wonderful sweet sweet love" & "bad weather"

Jimi LaLumia
09-19-2013, 12:06 AM
well, at the time of the dreadful take on "Stoned Love" in the first post here, Motown was still promoting The Supremes..otherwise, they wouldn't have been booked on The Mike Douglas Show and elsewhere, nor would they have a new record to promote.. and Jean's 'need' to jazz it up and soul all over it, ruined the song for the average record buyer, who doesn't care who has 'the right' to mess with the record that they, fans, had spent good money on.. the ultimate extension of this was the unnatural disaster that is the "Live in Japan" album, which Motown was obviously too embarrassed by to release in the USA.. I was a Jean fan from day one, but she turned down a road [[maybe driven by the endless 'questions about Diana" as on the Douglas show) that led to a dead end street...it's a shame, really..

supremester
09-19-2013, 01:15 AM
I think calling anyone's opinions here "dumb" isn't the coolest move. We can all disagree - no one is right usually - it's mostly all opinions. For example, save for Ed Sullivan, I think the JMC 1970 TV appearances are awful and are what did them in. They continued to get TV gigs straight thru to Jean and Lynda splitting and, IMO, each appearance was better than the last. To me, that Tom Jones thing was a hot mess in those hideous pantsuits, bad hair and wretched choreography. I believe that their slipping LP and concert sales - which began in 1970, btw - with hit singles, is a direct result of these shows. It's what turned me off. I agree that Jean's TV Bad Weather is much better than the record and I Guess I'll miss The Man is exquisite. I don't mind ad libs that work, but so often for me, Jean's don't. And ya gotta face a fact: the public decides who they like and what they buy: promotion is only a boost for product that is unknown or lacking play. Albums get promoted by singles, as do concert tix. If a group has hit singles and dwindling sales - the group is not hitting, just the individual single is. In 1971, JMC played a split bill at Mill Run with Ray Charles with 4 hit singles under their belt in 15 months and they were already doing splits. Not a good sign.
This statement is dumb period. Who should have told somebody something about the Supremes performances. The Supremes did the best they could especially with Motown pulling back on their publicity and promotion. I love the Supremes on tv in the 1970's it was like a breath of fresh air. The movements are exciting, the vocals more integrated, the singing that not with the record was right on, the only flaws i could see was when they performed on the Aug. 25, 1973 the last Supremes performance on the Kate Smith Special where they were all over the place and out of sync, and it was their last performance with Jean Terrell. That first performance on the Ed Sullivan Show set the stage for that record "UP the Ladder to the Roof" to be selling out in the stores, The next great performance was when they did the Glen Campbell show and sang Everybody's got the right to love, and a Glen Campbell, tune, then they hit pay dirt, when they hit the Tom Jones Special, and did Stoned Love/River- Deep and turned in a fabulous performance singing a Neil Diamond song Brother Love's Traveling Salvation Show, where Ms. Terrell does a fabulous adlib reading "Now People......." and the choregoraphy was fabulous the best dance moves the Supremes ever did on that show. so by 1972 Jean had the right to adlib or turn a performance into a special treat like "your wonderful sweet sweet love" & "bad weather"

marv2
09-19-2013, 01:32 AM

That is why most people liked about Jean Terrell being in the Supremes to begin with. Their sound was more soulful. Gone was that Minnie Mouse ,bubblegum selling voice. These were Soul Sisters! Black Women singing Soul music. What was she suppose to sound like? Dianah Disney Ross?

skooldem1
09-19-2013, 01:50 AM
1. Soulful doesn't mean "better".
2. If they were liked so much more than DRATS then why didn't sales and general interest back this up?
3. The Supremes were surpassed by the Pointer Sisters, the Emotions, and Labelle. Yes they may have charted more singles but that was based on their fan base as being the premier female group of the 60's. Many were residual hits based on their legacy.
4. The Pointer sisters received a Grammy Award and were featured in a movie [[ Car wash). They were more on the consciousness of the American public than the Supremes.
5. Nothing the Jean Terrell led 70's Supremes recorded was more soulful than "I'm gonna make you love me", "Love Child", and "Someday we'll be together". Diana Ross already paved that road for the Supremes".

REDHOT
09-19-2013, 05:40 AM
LOL,Too funny,i'm not gonna go there,i'll Stay positive

luke
09-19-2013, 08:03 AM
I just read an interview with Eddie Holland. He said HDH created pop records for The Supremes not R and B. Frank Wilson had to get Jean to decrease her gospel and soul flourishes. I actually think Diana fit more into a group setting, at least until 1967, than Jean. To me Jean never looked totally comfortable grouping it.

Jimi LaLumia
09-19-2013, 08:33 AM
it's called "just SING the SONG!",and yes, Jean did not look comfortable in a group setting, there was none of the natural feeling on stage interplay as there was between the Ross/Wilson /Ballard or Ross/Wilson/Birdsong lineup; you always got the feeling that Jean had just walked into a room of people that she was meeting for the first time, even by mid 1972!..Gordy was probably right about Syretta, in retrospect, like he was was about "The Wiz"..[[another disaster..)

franjoy56
09-19-2013, 10:07 AM
2. If they were liked so much more than DRATS then why didn't sales and general interest back this up?
3. The Supremes were surpassed by the Pointer Sisters, the Emotions, and Labelle. Yes they may have charted more singles but that was based on their fan base as being the premier female group of the 60's. Many were residual hits based on their legacy.
4. The Pointer sisters received a Grammy Award and were featured in a movie [[ Car wash). They were more on the consciousness of the American public than the Supremes.
5. Nothing the Jean Terrell led 70's Supremes recorded was more soulful than "I'm gonna make you love me", "Love Child", and "Someday we'll be together". Diana Ross already paved that road for the Supremes". Look at the sales # chart ratings on the soul charts and you will find every Jean Terrell led single hit the top 50, not to mention Stoned Love hitting #1.

rod_rick
09-19-2013, 11:33 AM
I just read an interview with Eddie Holland. He said HDH created pop records for The Supremes not R and B. Frank Wilson had to get Jean to decrease her gospel and soul flourishes. I actually think Diana fit more into a group setting, at least until 1967, than Jean. To me Jean never looked totally comfortable grouping it.

Keep in mind Jean was signing to a track for Stoned Love which was quite different than the groups live performance of the song. I think it was the long version was 3 different breaks than what she was used to signing every night.

Jimi LaLumia
09-19-2013, 12:01 PM
that's why they have something called 'rehearsals'..especially if you're going on national tv.. watching the clip, she's not at all interested in the song, she's just interested in vocal histrionics..

captainjames
09-19-2013, 12:27 PM
Well, you made a valid point I have to agree.

that's why they have something called 'rehearsals'..especially if you're going on national tv.. watching the clip, she's not at all interested in the song, she's just interested in vocal histrionics..

skooldem1
09-19-2013, 01:20 PM
Regarding the original clip of "Stone Love", I have to agree with those that say it doesn't sound good. Jean is singing it in a way that doesn't sound like the "hit" record at all. Missing is the sweetness that made the record sound so good. The one good thing about the clip is Lynda. She looks so good.

supremester
09-19-2013, 02:09 PM
Well, as usual, I agree with Marv - JMC was more soulful. So what? Miss Ross has her detractors, but let's face it: everyone at Motown and in the industry knew taking Diana Ross' place was not gonna be easy. Like her or not, their accomplishments and her subsequent accomplishments indicate it would take a lot to make that group work at the same level. I thought it would happen until I saw JMC and knew it wasn't working - even tho they were great. They needed a star and Jean wasn't one - and it's a shame because she was extremely talented and nice looking. I can see Gordy's idea with her. On paper, she was a better choice than Syreeta, and maybe, when her saw her onstage Jan 14, 1970, it hit him what a mistake it was. Even Mary agrees on this, today. Syreeta might not have worked either. No one can do what Diana Ross does, so another force was needed. I think Jean developed, but it was too late. Sadly, rather than accept reality, Mary blamed the relative failure on Motown making them fail, but now, with all the chart facts, the internet, and Youtube, we know that was just trying to save face. I don't mind Jean's vocal histrionics on this clip, but Live In Japan makes my ears bleed. I'm told those arrangements worked live, but on record, I can see why it wasn't released.

BayouMotownMan
09-19-2013, 02:25 PM
As I recall, Supremes Live in Japan was released around the same time as the Temptations and J5 live in Japan lps. None of these were intended for issue here in the US. Besides, within two months of this concert Jean and Lynda were gone.

Personally I loved Jean's variations on the songs. I was at her last engagement with the Supremes at Magic Mt, CA in 1973. I enjoyed several shows and Jean never sang a song exactly the same. This was appealing to me as I listened to the ways she would change her delivery.

supremester
09-19-2013, 02:34 PM
I'd love to read that - can you post the link, please?

supremester
09-19-2013, 02:40 PM
Wow - what was the set list? Did it vary? What did they wear? Did you see Flo? Details, please - none too small!
As I recall, Supremes Live in Japan was released around the same time as the Temptations and J5 live in Japan lps. None of these were intended for issue here in the US. Besides, within two months of this concert Jean and Lynda were gone.

Personally I loved Jean's variations on the songs. I was at her last engagement with the Supremes at Magic Mt, CA in 1973. I enjoyed several shows and Jean never sang a song exactly the same. This was appealing to me as I listened to the ways she would change her delivery.

Jimi LaLumia
09-19-2013, 03:29 PM
I understand where Bayou is coming from, but the casual/average record buying ticket buyer wasn't going to see The Supremes to hear "Variations On A Theme"..they went to hear the hits!..no wonder ticket sales declined to the point of evaporation.. I love the first three Jean albums, and some of the last ones, but there was no 'Team' in Jean!

supremester
09-19-2013, 04:00 PM
I was so disappointed in MC, that getting their new records wasn't like getting the new DR&TS records - that feeling wasn't there after Up The Ladder. I liked the records until Touch, but it was more like getting the new Tempts 45. I say this because I wasn't even expecting anything from them anymore, team or not. I taped them on Ed Sullivan and played that reel a thousand times - loved that medley and still do, but I'm not a good judge of what JMC did for their true fans. I did have the Right On poster on my door, Billboard ads for Up The ladder & Stoned Love on my wall, but eventually, I drifted away. I had no connection to the group at all when I saw the Floy Joy cover - they may as well have been The Honey Cone only with better teeth.

blueskies
09-19-2013, 04:28 PM
they may as well have been The Honey Cone only with better teeth. OK....I had my laugh for today. Thanks!

BayouMotownMan
09-19-2013, 04:33 PM
Florence appeared at Magic Mountain the following year. The shows at Magic Mt in 1973 were awesome, and the crowds enthusiastic. Surprising to me was the audience knew Bad Weather and many were blowing whistles throughout the song as Mary had done on the recording [[which didn't fit to me at all).

As I recall, the set was:
Stoned Love-opening
Cabaret Medley [[couple of times)
Mary's solo on Can't Take My Eyes Off Of You
70s hits medley
Bad Weather [[a long extended version)
Jean's solo on He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother [[some nights)
I Guess I'll Miss The Man [[some nights)
Tossin' and Turnin'
Love Train/Oh Happy Day

There were no Diana Ross songs in the set at all. Unknown to me was by the time of this appearance [[August 1973), Jean had already told Mary and Motown she was leaving. Backstage all three ladies were very sweet. But while Lynda and Jean mingled, Mary stayed in the dressing room rather quiet and reserved. She looked like a lady with a lot on her mind.

Lynda had very little to do vocally during this set except a lead line on the Cabaret Medley and Tossin' and Turnin'. She did a short run during Oh Happy Day as well.

Mary used to do an impressive vocal turn on Can't Take My Eyes. She would hit a note, hold and move the mike away from her mouth, filling the stadium with her voice alone. This always got thunderous applause. She also used to demonstrate how she used to walk to Sunday School during Oh Happy Day, a rather soulful strut, which also brought the house down.

Jean Terrell was pure vocal. She was in her prime and did very little in the way of choreography or stage patter. When that girl opened her mouth, her vocal was so warm and controlled. I left LA an even bigger Jean fan than when I got there.

Also unknown to the fans was that Lynda was in the early stages of pregnancy. This explains why they only wore a few sets of gowns. Jean was a little heavy then too. They wore the blue ponchos [[Soul Train) the most, then those blue/green glitter numbers from Sullivan [[No Matter What Sign). They also wore the gold pantsuits from Tom Jones [[Stoned Love). One night they wore the pink beaded gowns that Diana wore on TCB doing Somewhere. They were stunning in those and Lynda was not showing. Yet.

marv2
09-19-2013, 04:34 PM
5. Nothing the Jean Terrell led 70's Supremes recorded was more soulful than "I'm gonna make you love me", "Love Child", and "Someday we'll be together". Diana Ross already paved that road for the Supremes".

The Supremes in the 70's had more Top 40 hits than any of the groups that you list. They had more than any other female group in the World between 1970-79!

REDHOT
09-19-2013, 05:27 PM
You tell it like is is Marv lol,l'v seen The Supremes with Jean live,on stage, many times,and she was always Supreme,a pro.[[on stage)but i'm sure she wasn't easy to work with,Mary had a lot on her plate with Jean,no matter what,no set of Supremes could touch them,well until,Mary Scherrie and Susaye came alone,even Motown wasn't ready for them,they[[Motown)like them so much,they wanted to manage them,but Mary and Pedro was not having it,bad move,oh by the way,Florence came out to Los Angeles to see The Supremes Mary Cindy and Scherrie 1975.Please stay positive

Jimi LaLumia
09-19-2013, 06:36 PM
Marv is correct on this point, but it's a bit of a hollow victory since, as the 60's Motown was about groups, the 70's Motown was about solo artists,the solo MJ hits, Marvin, Stevie,Eddie Kendricks, Ross, Smokey, Lionel flying the coop by the end of the decade, groups were out, single performers were in, so it's not like there was a tremendous competition going on with female groups, at Motown or anywhere else for that matter towards the latter part of the decade..

jobeterob
09-19-2013, 07:33 PM
No one thouught it more hollow than Mary as she set out in her books; basically, the group regardless of what it was, couldn't attract enough of a crowd or sell enough records to pay it's bills by 1977. In the end, it wasn't much different for every other female group of that era.

REDHOT
09-19-2013, 08:06 PM
The point is The Supremes was still the number 1 female group in the 70s lol,i just love The Supremes Live In Japan cd,Mary singing Can't Take My Eyes Off Of You is THE BEST.Please stay positive

marv2
09-19-2013, 08:16 PM
Mary has high standards. Jean Terrell was perhaps the very best female vocalist to ever record for Motown Records [[in my opinion). She was about excellence and it showed whenever you dropped the needle on the record! Mary was about the group being excellent at all times. Even with her own band/group, her backing singers were not allowed to be seen in public without make up! That is how they were! The Supremes as a group made some of their best records [[again, in my opinion) beginning in 1970. They were gorgeous, sang like angels and moved like dreams! I have no complaints in that regard.

Jimi LaLumia
09-19-2013, 08:34 PM
and again, I agree with Marv in regard to the above..totally.. in regard to recordings made for Motown..
in regard to many tv appearances and 'live' performances.. not so much..
as a recording artist, I agree that it didn't get any better than Jean..sadly, it did not translate to live, and group/ interaction appearances...regardless of whatever went down with Ross/Wilson, etc in the 1960's, their public appearances, on a professional level, never reflected anything other than ultimate showbiz excellence, with Ballard and Birdsong...
In my opinion [[which is all any of these statements are), the 70's versions never had that same,'public face' cohesion..ever..

thisoldheart
09-19-2013, 09:00 PM
i have to agree that the product that contained ross/wilson/ballard&birdsong was a package that worked on record and live. the post ross supremes had a real singer with chops in terrell, but the stage product was by then totally out of date. no popular group looked as garish as the 70's supremes. evening gowns were for vegas. we fans wanted singer/songwriters in jeans!

supremester
09-19-2013, 10:26 PM
THANK YOU - what a full and wonderful report! Sounds like a great show and I bet those older Ross hits weren't missed much, if at all by many. That's great about Bad Weather - the real fans would know everything that was out. I have a bud who saw JML throwing whistles into the audience during the intro. How frequent were the shows? How many days? was there a charge? Did you go the next year? MSC were without a contract so I wonder who did their bookings? [QUOTE=BayouMotownMan;190590]Florence appeared at Magic Mountain the following year. The shows at Magic Mt in 1973 were awesome, and the crowds enthusiastic. Surprising to me was the audience knew Bad Weather and many were blowing whistles throughout the song as Mary had done on the recording [[which didn't fit to me at all).

As I recall, the set was:
Stoned Love-opening
Cabaret Medley [[couple of times)
Mary's solo on Can't Take My Eyes Off Of You
70s hits medley
Bad Weather [[a long extended version)
Jean's solo on He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother [[some nights)
I Guess I'll Miss The Man [[some nights)
Tossin' and Turnin'
Love Train/Oh Happy Day

There were no Diana Ross songs in the set at all. Unknown to me was by the time of this appearance [[August 1973), Jean had already told Mary and Motown she was leaving. Backstage all three ladies were very sweet. But while Lynda and Jean mingled, Mary stayed in the dressing room rather quiet and reserved. She looked like a lady with a lot on her mind.

REDHOT
09-20-2013, 12:04 AM
Yes Mary had a lot on her mind, with Jean and Lynda bein' Jenova's Whitness,i'm sure that was a lot to bare,The Supremes[[Mary Cindy Jean Lynda) from the 70s were still,the number 1 female singing group,no matter how it went,i'm happy it went,they way it did,because The Supremes Mary Scherrie and Susaye were even better,i just LOVE The Supremes from the 70s lol,please stay positive

thisoldheart
09-20-2013, 01:09 AM
were the very late [[post jean) supremes as successful as the emotions or love unlimited? i am curious, because that's who i was listening to after terrell left. the clips of songs like "driving wheel" even look & sound as if the late supremes were trying to sound like them ... or do i have my years mixed up?

supremester
09-20-2013, 02:49 AM
Nah - they only had one week in the top 40 - at # 40. Personally, I think The Pointers and Three Degrees were the biggest - but it depends on how you measure them. I think the best ballad they ever did [[You Are The Heart Of Me) beat anything any other girl group did [[minus that insane moaning........arrrrrgh WTF were they thinking?????)

captainjames
09-20-2013, 09:39 AM
The 70's Supremes had longevity is what I saw from the group but the stardust from the 60's was wearing off. Jean's voice was good and I know I am in the minority here but I still feel Motown could have stayed in the same groove with Mary on songs like "Can't Take My Eyes" and build more around her being the lead and then concentrated on Jean, Cindy, Lynda with the more pop songs or higher notes. I strayed to groups like Stargard, First Choice, Honey Cone, High inergy and yes of course The Three Degrees.

Jimi LaLumia
09-20-2013, 10:10 AM
I just broke out the vinyl lp of Honey Cone, "Soulful Tapestry" and it is exquisite, four fab hits on there, "Want Ads", "Stick Up", "One Monkey Don't Stop No Show" and "The Day I Found Myself".. just fabulous..

motony
09-20-2013, 10:41 AM
and I love Honey Cone but that was their 4 hits, they had better records but they didn't sell. I think the Supremes' fate would have been better if Scherri Payne had been the one to replace Diana Ross...she had the stage charisma to go with the looks.Jean Terrell was/is a good singer just not SUPREME.

carole cucumber
09-20-2013, 11:22 AM
It is so good to see that people of differing opinions are hearing one another and considering what is being said.
There is one point I've always wondered about...
While Berry Gordy & Shelly Berger were in Miami for Diana Ross & the Supremes' engagement at the Eden Roc Hotel [[Miami) in 1969, Ernie Terrell invited Berry & Shelly to the Fontainebleau to check out his group, The Heavyweights. Shelly recounted that he and Berry were quite impressed with the female lead, Ernie's sister, Jean, and saw her as a possible replacement for Diana in the Supremes.
It has been written that "You Can't Hurry Love" was one of the songs sung by Jean during the show.
My question is... did Jean sing it as Diana did [[like the record) or did she give it a Jean-vocalization? Or did she incorporate a little of each in her performance?
As best as I recall, I've not seen this question addressed/answered anywhere. Perhaps it has been , and it has escaped my notice.
Anyone?

luke
09-20-2013, 11:59 AM
Mark Ribowsy in the book The Supremes extensively interview the Holland brothers. Quite revealatory.

luke
09-20-2013, 12:07 PM
Great discussion. I agree Jean and maybe Thelma best singers ever at Motown. JMC had the suprmes charisma/style. Never the same after that. Scherrie great singer but too different in style from the DMFCJ.

midnightman
09-20-2013, 02:48 PM
The lineup of Jean, Mary and Cindy was tighter than the other '70s Supremes lineups imho. Between 1970 and 1972, yeah they were still the top female act but things changed after the Pointers and a recharged Labelle [[formerly known as the Bluebelles) came into play. Let's not forget there was a period between 1973 and 1975 when the Supremes weren't heard from on the radio and by then the Three Degrees had started to take their audience too.

REDHOT
09-20-2013, 03:41 PM
LOL The Supremes Mary Wilson Cindy Birdsong Jean Terrell Lynda Laurence Scherrie Payne and Susaye Greene from the 70s ROCKED,i also think Scherrie would have been a better replacement,when Diana left The Supremes,Scherrie is a team player,all for the group,she would have NEVER walk out on the group,like Jean and Lynda did,i remember watching The Supremes on The Merv Griffin Show,singing This Dream,and a Medley Mary singing lead on The Way We Were,and Scherrie singing the lead on Maybe This Time,it was really a SPECIAL performance,THE BEST.Please stay positive

sup_fan
09-20-2013, 03:56 PM
i'm not going to get into the fray here of whether or not jean should adlib, if she hates mary, if lynda was on her monthly, etc.

I posted this clip to youtube. over the many years i've collected a ton of sup videos. i have another copy of this clip where the sound is great. none of that grittiness. but there's no interview, it skips the dramatic intro and just starts with Jean's "Stoned Love" and then drums into the main song. but the image quality sucks

then [[this was back in the late 90s) a fan mentioned on some fan board that another fan had gotten actual copies of the show in pristine video quality. it was this one, the one with MSS doing IGLMHDLW and the 60s medley, MSS doing Let Yourself Go, etc. they stated that the fan had really gone out of his way to get these and so i think we all bought copies. they did state up front that the sound quality on the MJL version was damaged in the vaults so it is what it is. i've thought about trying to sync the sound of the first with the picture of the second. but haven't gotten that sophisticated yet

so while teh performance is a bit flawed at least we get to see it again

marv2
09-20-2013, 04:17 PM
There is one point I've always wondered about...
While Berry Gordy & Shelly Berger were in Miami for Diana Ross & the Supremes' engagement at the Eden Roc Hotel [[Miami) in 1969, Ernie Terrell invited Berry & Shelly to the Fontainebleau to check out his group, The Heavyweights. Shelly recounted that he and Berry were quite impressed with the female lead, Ernie's sister, Jean, and saw her as a possible replacement for Diana in the Supremes.
It has been written that "You Can't Hurry Love" was one of the songs sung by Jean during the show.
My question is... did Jean sing it as Diana did [[like the record) or did she give it a Jean-vocalization? Or did she incorporate a little of each in her performance?
As best as I recall, I've not seen this question addressed/answered anywhere. Perhaps it has been , and it has escaped my notice.
Anyone?

No it wasn't! It was "Come See About Me" and who in the heck would know or remember how she sang it?

marv2
09-20-2013, 04:24 PM
The lineup of Jean, Mary and Cindy was tighter than the other '70s Supremes lineups imho. Between 1970 and 1972, yeah they were still the top female act but things changed after the Pointers and a recharged Labelle [[formerly known as the Bluebelles) came into play. Let's not forget there was a period between 1973 and 1975 when the Supremes weren't heard from on the radio and by then the Three Degrees had started to take their audience too.

Oh come on! The Three Degrees had ONE record that got some play on Top 40 radio in the Fall of 1974 called "When Will I See You Again" . Even with that one, the lead on it, Sheila Ferguson [[sp?) sounded like an imitation Jean Terrell and the harmonies sounded like Supremes rip offs ......to me!

marv2
09-20-2013, 04:26 PM
LOL The Supremes Mary Wilson Cindy Birdsong Jean Terrell Lynda Laurence Scherrie Payne and Susaye Greene from the 70s ROCKED,i also think Scherrie would have been a better replacement,when Diana left The Supremes,Scherrie is a team player,all for the group,she would have NEVER walk out on the group,like Jean and Lynda did,i remember watching The Supremes on The Merv Griffin Show,singing This Dream,and a Medley Mary singing lead on The Way We Were,and Scherrie singing the lead on Maybe This Time,it was really a SPECIAL performance,THE BEST.Please stay positive

Jean Terrell was the absolute best choice to become the new lead singer! I love Scherrie but there was only one Jean Terrell that could make any song sound good!

supremester
09-20-2013, 04:42 PM
I think Tammi Terrell would have been the best choice. Jean's talent didn't extend itself to the pop culture of the day that JMC needed badly, but she sure could sing. Miss Ross aside, I think Gladys Knight is the best female singer and listen to her today: 99% still there. Motown was lucky to have Ross, Holloway, Knight, Reeves, Terrells x 2 , Thelma........no record company - not even Columbia could have successfully handled that many. No company ever has.

jobeterob
09-20-2013, 05:07 PM
I think Jean was the right choice for Diana's replacement.

If you play the 45 of Up The Ladder to the Roof on an old record player, Motown and Jean were very Diana-like to start things off.

It was a great start considering who she was replacing and the amazing success Diana Ross & the Supremes had had.

The trouble was by 1972, as someone previous has written, the whole Supremes concept was as old as the 1950's; the gowns were unpopular; some of them started to look cheap to me; the whole sound and concept of the Supremes was dated. And they couldn't break out of it. After Stoned Love, they pretty much had it.

If they had as early as 1971 and for sure by early 1972, moved to a new look, a reinvention with Scherrie as lead singer ~ it might have worked. Instead they started to fight, change members, hire a loser for a manager who had a conflict of interest and bounced around with several concepts, none successful.

Scherrie might have saved them then. But that is just another "what if".

God, what if Marv is Pedro or Pedro's son? LOL. Makes sense hey?

BayouMotownMan
09-20-2013, 05:18 PM
Scary. I agree with your assessment Kamasu, the 70s Supremes were trapped by Motown's insistence on keeping them in a 60s capsule. When Lynda joined the company panicked so much that their concerts became a re-hash of the Farewell lp. At one point the only Jean song's in the show were Stoned Love and their latest recording. Sometimes Everybody's Got The Right was thrown in. Hey Big Spender and It's Alright With Me were for supper club audiences and the teen and college crowd didn't really take to them. When Scherrie joined they again became even more of a travelling Vegas act. When they started recording they went disco. Both decisions gave them limited exposure.

blueskies
09-20-2013, 05:31 PM
Does anyone know if Jean is still in LA? I thought I had read somewhere she was now in N. Carolina...which didn't make much sense....or maybe it does?

BayouMotownMan
09-20-2013, 05:43 PM
Jean is still in a LA suburb. Her manager was in NC

blueskies
09-20-2013, 06:03 PM
Jean is still in a LA suburb. Her manager was in NC
Thank you. That makes sense, now.

BayouMotownMan
09-20-2013, 06:08 PM
To the best of my knowledge Jean is no longer working

REDHOT
09-20-2013, 10:27 PM
No Jean is no longer working,she'll take a job singing,maybe once every 10 years,don't get me wrong,i loved what Jean did with The Supremes,but The Supremes Mary and Cindy needed a team player,and Jean wasn't a team player,one of the reason i said Scherrie would have been better,Scherrie IS a team player, all for the group,and she would have RESPECT Mary,for the number 1 reason,she's an ORIGINAL SUPREME,that stands for something,I JUST LOVE THE THE SUPREMES FROM THE 70s lol,Please stay positive

midnightman
09-20-2013, 10:34 PM
Oh come on! The Three Degrees had ONE record that got some play on Top 40 radio in the Fall of 1974 called "When Will I See You Again" . Even with that one, the lead on it, Sheila Ferguson [[sp?) sounded like an imitation Jean Terrell and the harmonies sounded like Supremes rip offs ......to me!

Might have had only one hit in the U.S., I meant in other countries. ;) I wasn't saying they didn't sound like the Supremes lol

marv2
09-20-2013, 10:50 PM
Might have had only one hit in the U.S., I meant in other countries. ;) I wasn't saying they didn't sound like the Supremes lol

I'm sorry, my bad. I know they had great success over in Europe. The only stations from another country I heard growing up were in Canada. They did get a lot of play with "TSOP" with MFSB back in the day.