PDA

View Full Version : Any Home Remedies for Acid Reflux?

test

nosey
09-11-2013, 09:49 AM
Had to take myself to the ER on Monday morning for chest pains. After some testing [[EKG, labs, etc) and getting my history, they think I have Acid Reflux. I was told that years ago but it stopped and now it's going on practically daily. I belch/burp a lot and I feel better when I drink something to relax the sphincter muscle in my chest.

I filled a script of Nexium @ $40.00 for 30 pills but I want to know if there are any home remedies that will help the situation. Hope y'all can help a sista out.

westgrandboulevard
09-11-2013, 11:31 AM
Nosey, I'm in the UK. Do you have Gaviscon there? If so, try that?

Don't eat too soon before going to bed [[or too late, whichever way you want to look at it!) - absolute minimum of one hour, preferably longer, and eat fried food earlier in the day.

While keeping your pillow[[s) comfortable, raise the level, even if only slightly, so that your head is resting above your chest.

Your dentist may also be able to assist with advice. Acid reflux can show up on the teeth, especially the back ones.

Has anyone confirmed if you have a hiatus hernia?

gary_james
09-11-2013, 11:33 AM
Avoid Onions, Garlic... stuff like that.

blueskies
09-11-2013, 12:02 PM
Baking Soda! A tsp. or little more in a glass of water. It's high in sodium, so, if B/P is an issue, you might not want to go this route. But, works for me like a charm! http://ezinearticles.com/?Acid-Reflux---How-To-Use-Baking-Soda-For-Acid-Reflux&id=1033644

Kamasu_Jr
09-11-2013, 03:51 PM
Baking soda is good. Drinking a glass of Seven Up or Ginger Ale can help. Some studies have shown chewing sugarless gum for 30 minutes after a meal helps as does plain old black licorice. And buying acid relievers like Zantac or store brands from CVS or Walgreen's are cheaper than Nexium.

nosey
09-11-2013, 07:29 PM
Thanks gang, I'm going to do all of the above.

Roberta75
09-12-2013, 08:34 AM
Ginger ale helps the acid reflux nosey and a good glass of prune juice cleans you out and gets rid of that bloated feeling. I drink prune juice every Friday night and it gets it all out only thing is you need to real close to your toilet bowl.

Yours, with every good wish.

Roberta

splanky
09-12-2013, 08:58 AM
Oh my...I feel for you, Nosey as I have it myself and struggle with it almost every day. After
reading through all of the suggestions I have to say I hope you find what will work for you.
Nothing works for me all of the time. BP is an issue for me so I have to be real careful with
baking soda which I use to take daily. I avoid pharmacueticals as much as possible outside
of my BP meds. I don't know ginger ale works as there is no ginger in it anymore but I've just
begun taking raw ginger for it as was suggested to me. That seems to be working but we'll
see...Good Luck...

Kamasu_Jr
09-12-2013, 08:16 PM
Splanky, get CANADA DRY ginger ale; it's made with real ginger.

MIKEW-UK
09-13-2013, 02:57 AM
Lansoprazole is not a home remedy but has an outstanding success rate for GERD / acid reflux, and is available from Walgreens for example, at 50c per day.
http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/walgreens-lansoprazole-acid-reducer-delayed-release-capsules/ID=prod6111662-product#descriptionNamedTab

splanky
09-13-2013, 08:49 AM
Splanky, get CANADA DRY ginger ale; it's made with real ginger.

Hey, Kam, I didn't know they were still using real ginger. I'll try it today. Thanks!....