PDA

View Full Version : "Nightflight" Tue Sept 10, 9P-12M ET- KIM WESTON....Live from Detroit!!!

test

midnight johnny
09-09-2013, 08:44 AM
Howdy, "Nightflight" Listeners!!! I am extremely excited and honored to announce that joining me on this week's show [[Tues, Sept 10, 9P-12M ET) LIVE from Detroit will be Motown's legendary KIM WESTON! Kim's amazing career has spanned decades ....as a singer of Motown, R&B, soul, gospel, the Great American Songbook and more...as an actress, a mentor, founder of FESTIVAL [[the Detroit performing arts program, a disc jockey on the local airwaves of Detroit....and so much more!

Joining Kim on "Nightflight' will be her friend and personal assistant Erik, who has been such an important support to Kim, and with whom this show would not have been possible. Erik...thanks so very much!

Erik wanted me to pass on some important links related to Kim and her career....
http://www.facebook.com/kimwestonofficial http://www.facebook.com/kimwestonofficial2 http://www.youtube.com/user/kimwestonfanpage http://www.fandalism.com/kimweston

Having Kim on the show is a dream come true. Kim's music...her Motown material in particular, became an important part of the fabric of my musical life early on, as I'm sure has been the case for so many of you.

While Kim is on the air, she will take questions from folks here on SDF.
Please...no phone calls to the station...I'll be on the phone with Kim and Erik. Thanks!

So DO join me on Tuesday as I present the extraordinary Kim Weston...
on "Nightflight"...on WOMR 92.1 FM Provincetown and WFMR 91.3 FM Orleans, and streaming live worldwide in digital stereo at www.womr.org

...and here's an extended version I did of one of my favorite Kim classics!
Thanks so much, folks...and Kim and Erik....thanks for making a Motown dream of mine come true!

http://youtu.be/omnLs0npy6g

R. Mark Desjardins
09-09-2013, 12:49 PM
John, you are forever offering surprises, and this one is most welcome!

RossHolloway
09-09-2013, 01:31 PM
Can't wait to listen in on this show!!

sophisticated_soul
09-09-2013, 05:06 PM
Fantastic Johnny! So very cool indeed. Miss Kim Weston live on WOMR! You've done it again my friend. Congratualtions! Looking forward to what I know will be a fabulous interview. See you and the gang on the Radiola.:cool:

thomas96
09-09-2013, 06:03 PM
Yes!!!!! Can't wait!!!!

carole cucumber
09-09-2013, 06:24 PM
A while back, someone on this forum was trying to compile a list of birth dates for Motown artists/personnel. A missing piece of the puzzle was Mickey Stevenson's birth date.
I'm not sure if it's proper to ask, but since Kim has so graciously agreed to be interviewed, perhaps the question might be posed.

MotownLover
09-09-2013, 09:16 PM
WONDERFUL John!!!

I'd like to know what Kim's insight is about some of her vaulted material that did not see the light of day for decades on her Motown Anthology CD set, specifically "You Can Do It" and "You Hit Me Where It Hurt Me." I personally was BLOWN away when I first heard "You Can Do It"!...what a song and a big hit opportunity that was missed!

Howard in Long Beach, CA :D

midnight johnny
09-10-2013, 06:25 AM
John, you are forever offering surprises, and this one is most welcome!

Hey there Mark! Well, I'll tell you. This was almost as much of a surprise to me as it was to you! See you tonight!!

midnight johnny
09-10-2013, 06:27 AM
Can't wait to listen in on this show!!

RossHolloway....glad you'll be joining us!!!

midnight johnny
09-10-2013, 06:30 AM
Yes!!!!! Can't wait!!!!

Thomas...I can't wait either...see you tonight!

midnight johnny
09-10-2013, 06:34 AM
A while back, someone on this forum was trying to compile a list of birth dates for Motown artists/personnel. A missing piece of the puzzle was Mickey Stevenson's birth date.
I'm not sure if it's proper to ask, but since Kim has so graciously agreed to be interviewed, perhaps the question might be posed.

Hey there, Carole! I will certainly give it a go!

midnight johnny
09-10-2013, 06:37 AM
WONDERFUL John!!!

I'd like to know what Kim's insight is about some of her vaulted material that did not see the light of day for decades on her Motown Anthology CD set, specifically "You Can Do It" and "You Hit Me Where It Hurt Me." I personally was BLOWN away when I first heard "You Can Do It"!...what a song and a big hit opportunity that was missed!

Howard in Long Beach, CA :D

Howard...hello! I will pose your interesting question to Kim....see you later!!!

sophisticated_soul
09-10-2013, 03:23 PM
Happy Is A BUMPy Road:)

sophisticated_soul
09-10-2013, 04:16 PM

midnight johnny
09-10-2013, 05:46 PM
Thank you Joseph!

Glenpwood
09-10-2013, 07:09 PM
Hi John,

Looking forward to this delightful surprise show tonight. I got my friends Carl, Diane, and Dennis over to listen and make dinner together. Enjoy yourself with Kim and can't wait to hear the two of you at nine!

Take Care
Glen

midnight johnny
09-10-2013, 07:14 PM
Hi John,

Looking forward to this delightful surprise show tonight. I got my friends Carl, Diane, and Dennis over to listen and make dinner together. Enjoy yourself with Kim and can't wait to hear the two of you at nine!

Take Care
Glen

Hey, Glen!!!! Glad you and Carl and Diane and Dennis will be listening. You must let me invite myself to dinner sometime...sound like fun!!!

And Glen and ALL...don't forget to post any questions you may have for Kim....thanks!

Glenpwood
09-10-2013, 07:31 PM
There is always a place at my table for you my friend!

I dont have a specific question but I'd love to hear Kim reminisce for us about her duets with Marvin if she has anything she'd care to share about the songs or being in the studio together......

midnight johnny
09-10-2013, 07:32 PM
There is always a place at my table for you my friend!

I dont have a specific question but I'd love to hear Kim reminisce for us about her duets with Marvin if she has anything she'd care to share about the songs or being in the studio together......

I like that one....thanks....I'll pose it to her....

midnight johnny
09-10-2013, 08:39 PM
...in the studio....HOWDEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!

MotownLover
09-10-2013, 08:55 PM
Hey Johnnyyyyyyyyyyyyy!

Another suggested question: the flip side of "It Takes Two" was "It's Got To Be A Miracle [[This Thing Called Love)" and her thoughts about this cut. I heard it played in Los Angeles on KGFJ Radio back in the day, a mild double-sided hit here.

Also, in my earlier question about her vaulted material, another song which was locked up almost forever was "After The Rain". This is another song that I believe if released back in the 60s would have done well on the charts IMHO!

Howard in Long Beach, CA :cool:

midnight johnny
09-10-2013, 08:57 PM
Hey Johnnyyyyyyyyyyyyy!

Another suggested question: the flip side of "It Takes Two" was "It's Got To Be A Miracle [[This Thing Called Love)" and her thoughts about his cut. I heard it played in Los Angeles on KGFG Radio back in the day, a mild double-sided hit here.

Also, in my earlier question about her vaulted material, another song which was locked up almost forever was "After The Rain". This is another song that I believe it released back in the 60s would have done well on the charts IMHO!

Howard in Long Beach, CA :cool:

Howard....absolutely.....will do...thanks!!

MotownLover
09-10-2013, 08:58 PM
Wanted to give a shout out to KIM, KIM, KIM!

msjoys
09-10-2013, 09:01 PM
Looking forward to tonight's show!

thomas96
09-10-2013, 09:03 PM
OH yeah!!!! Could you ask her to sing a few bars of any song of her choice?

thomas96
09-10-2013, 09:04 PM
And what are her thoughts on the current state of Detroit and it's filing for bankruptcy?

thomas96
09-10-2013, 09:06 PM
And, did she stay in touch with anybody at Motown [[other than Mickey Stevenson) after she left and still talks to today? If so, who?

Is she working on any new projects, or performing now?

thomas96
09-10-2013, 09:08 PM
Did she like her version of Helpless better than the Four Tops' version?

Did she ever think that she wasn't getting enough promotion and should've gotten more?

Why were her planned solo albums shelved, and did that bother her?

carole cucumber
09-10-2013, 09:11 PM
Was Kim aware that Marvin Gaye had recorded with Oma Heard following Mary Well's departure and before her own pairing up with Marvin?
Did Kim ever meet Oma?

thomas96
09-10-2013, 09:13 PM
Was she ever attracted to Marvin? [[If this is too personal, leave it out...)

Did she feel at the time there was a good connection between their voices?

thomas96
09-10-2013, 09:14 PM
What does she think of the Doobie Brothers version of "Take Me In Your Arms...?"

thomas96
09-10-2013, 09:15 PM
Does she think some people got "screwed over" at Motown, or was it generally fair play?

Has she seen Motown the Musical? If so, what are her thoughts on it?

carole cucumber
09-10-2013, 09:17 PM
As there are photos of Kim & Marvin & the Andantes recording in the studio, were the majority of their duets recorded together or did either Kim or Marvin record their vocals separately [[ala the early Marvin/Tammi duets) and then find their parts joined together to form a duet?

144man
09-10-2013, 09:17 PM
Hi John,

It's 2.15 in the morning in London and I went to bed at 9 at set my alarm. Hope Kim is feeling better now.

Martin

Ryon6
09-10-2013, 09:23 PM
Hello MJ,

I'm here too. Love me some Kim Weston, a big fan. Please tell her hello for me.

Thanks,
Tyrone [[Ryon6)

carole cucumber
09-10-2013, 09:24 PM
Thanks for using the stereo mixes so far.
Is anyone else hearing periodically [[and I wish I knew how to describe it) a sound effect not found in either recording?

midnight johnny
09-10-2013, 09:26 PM
Martin and all.......Kim said she was really feeling badly, but thought that maybe after 1/2 -hour to 45 min she may feel better. I can't guarantee anything at this point. I have no idea if her situation will rectify. I appreciate your patience. I was thrown myself by this. But.....the music of Kim right now!!

thomas96
09-10-2013, 09:32 PM
Great tune. Goodness gracious.

More Q's [[if she comes on):

What is her opinion of popular music today? [[hip hop, country-pop, electronic dubstep, etc)

What are her thoughts on the Trayvon Martin, George Zimmerman case/verdict? [[assuming she followed it)

carole cucumber
09-10-2013, 09:35 PM
I agree completely with you about Brenda's version of "Ooo Baby Baby"

Ryon6
09-10-2013, 09:35 PM
"It Takes Two" brings back lots of memories, even though I was a kid [[11) at the time.

Tyrone

RossHolloway
09-10-2013, 09:38 PM
RossHolloway by way of Kalamazoo!

Methuselah2
09-10-2013, 09:38 PM
My best wishes to Kim and hopes that she feels much better.

With that said, I'll submit just one question--although it might cause her to head for the hills; and that question is:

What are Kim's opinions/impressions/observations/feelings/remembrances/etc. of the following:

- Brenda Holloway
- Tammi Terrell
- Mary Wells
- Carolyn Crawford
- Hattie Littles
- Frances Nero
- Jackie Hicks
- Louvain Demps
- Marlene Barrow
- Martha Reeves
- Gladys Horton
- Wanda Rogers
- Cal Street
- Florence Ballard
- Mary Wilson
- Diana Ross

Ryon6
09-10-2013, 09:39 PM
is Erik, the same Erik that is the manager for the FLOS?

Tyrone

midnight johnny
09-10-2013, 09:41 PM
I agree completely with you about Brenda's version of "Ooo Baby Baby"

Really Carole....it's so bad I was SHOCKED!!!

midnight johnny
09-10-2013, 09:42 PM
is Erik, the same Erik that is the manager for the FLOS?

Tyrone

Tyrone....not sure....that never came up....

144man
09-10-2013, 09:46 PM
Thanks for playing "Just Loving You". It's grown on me over the years to become one of my all time favourite Motown records.

I hope I'm waking up all the neighbours so they can hear what real music is supposed to sound like!

midnight johnny
09-10-2013, 09:47 PM
My best wishes to Kim and hopes that she feels much better.

With that said, I'll submit just one question--although it might cause her to head for the hills; and that question is:

What are Kim's opinions/impressions/observations/feelings/remembrances/etc. of the following:

- Brenda Holloway
- Tammi Terrell
- Mary Wells
- Carolyn Crawford
- Hattie Littles
- Frances Nero
- Jackie Hicks
- Louvain Demps
- Marlene Barrow
- Martha Reeves
- Gladys Horton
- Wanda Rogers
- Cal Street
- Florence Ballard
- Mary Wilson
- Diana Ross

I think you forgot the Lewis Sisters.............

144man
09-10-2013, 09:52 PM
Amazing strings on "A Little More Love".

midnight johnny
09-10-2013, 09:54 PM
Amazing strings on "A Little More Love".

YES.....so gorgeous!!!

msjoys
09-10-2013, 09:59 PM
So glad that Kim's feeling better! Thanks for the shout out Johnny - Enjoying the show tonight!

carole cucumber
09-10-2013, 10:03 PM
I'm surprised that no one else is hearing the little pops and other sound effects... I guess it must be my connection.

thomas96
09-10-2013, 10:11 PM
Could you ask her as well about how I could get in contact with her? Possible work involved...

Ryon6
09-10-2013, 10:17 PM
Hope to hear "It Should Have Been Me". "ISHBM" and "Love Me All The Way" are two of my very favorites.

Tyrone [[Atlanta)

Methuselah2
09-10-2013, 10:28 PM
Please let Kim know that . . .

Whenever I'm at loose ends and need something to pull me together, listening to Kim sing A LITTLE MORE LOVE works wonders for me. Her voice is both beautiful and thrilling.

The first time I saw Kim was on TV on Hullabaloo, teetering precariously high above the Hullabaloo Dancers. And Kim looked gorgeous and sexy to beat the band. But that pedestal they had Kim standing on was frightening!

Years later, I saw her in a discussion panel on The Sally Jesse Raphael Show. Kim spoke so elegantly and looked absolutely magnificent--so regal in the most amazing way. She was just remarkable and I remember thinking "Kim IS Helen of Troy. Truly. She is the woman that men would go into battle for." Her intense beauty was matched exactly by that of her amazing spirit, sense of self, and intelligence.

I've never forgotten Kim on that show. She raised that show to a whole other level that day--simply by being Kim.

Methuselah2
09-10-2013, 10:32 PM
I'm surprised that no one else is hearing the little pops and other sound effects... I guess it must be my connection.

Carole - I had that problem only during the first half hour.

carole cucumber
09-10-2013, 10:34 PM
It seems to have stopped during the interview. Thanks for verifying that it wasn't just me.

Glenpwood
09-10-2013, 10:39 PM
Thanks John for asking Kim to share thoughts on Marvin for me!

R. Mark Desjardins
09-10-2013, 10:43 PM
John;
What a treat to hear Kim Weston share her memories. She is obviously a survivor and deserves all the breaks that comes her way. Please give her a shout out of love from a fan in Canada! Hugs to Kim...............

carole cucumber
09-10-2013, 10:49 PM
Here's what Kim is talking about:
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/01/arts/music/for-a-classic-motown-song-about-money-credit-is-what-he-wants.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Ryon6
09-10-2013, 10:49 PM
What Kim was saying about Barrett Strong, is that Barrett's name has been removed from the writer's credit of the song "Money".

You beat me to it Carole.

carole cucumber
09-10-2013, 11:00 PM
Johnny,

You say 'us'... because you are graciously sharing this interview with all of us!!!

lovechild
09-10-2013, 11:08 PM
Hi Johnny, I finally made it :)

carole cucumber
09-10-2013, 11:20 PM
Mickey Stevenson is credited for writing "He's My Baby"

thomas96
09-10-2013, 11:27 PM
Bye Kim! Thank you so very much!!!

R. Mark Desjardins
09-10-2013, 11:31 PM
John;
A wonderful evening of conversation for sure. Could you please mention the name of that recent British recording Kim did once again. I was going to write it down and my phone rang, and whatever it was escaped me completely. Thanks!

sophisticated_soul
Thank You so much for sharing with us Kim! You are the best!!:)

midnight johnny
Johnny,

You say 'us'... because you are graciously sharing this interview with all of us!!!

I think you're right, Carole [[*smile)

kenneth
09-10-2013, 11:43 PM
I thought I heard the Mandante in the background at the beginning of that one, but maybe I was mistaken.

midnight johnny
09-10-2013, 11:44 PM
What a night for Kim and all you incredibly patient and huge hearted folks. I'm most appreciative of your being here for my chat with Kim.....I'll come back tomorrow and address more specific posts...Thanks so very much!!!!

thomas96
09-10-2013, 11:45 PM
John;
A wonderful evening of conversation for sure. Could you please mention the name of that recent British recording Kim did once again. I was going to write it down and my phone rang, and whatever it was escaped me completely. Thanks!

Revenge Factory - Sexy Nerd [[Touch My Circuitry) feat. Kim Weston

midnight johnny
09-10-2013, 11:51 PM
Thanks Thomas!!!

msjoys
09-10-2013, 11:54 PM
Good night - God bless you Johnny for ALL that you do!

Methuselah2
09-11-2013, 12:04 AM
What a wonderful treat that was to hear Kim in conversation like that--she's so candid and direct and right there at every step. Completely not of the ordinary but very special indeed. Thanks for the interview John.

thomas96
09-11-2013, 12:13 AM
Great show John. Thank you so much. Looking forward to the complete singles!

144man
09-11-2013, 12:24 AM
Thank you, Kim. You're a star!

Have a great week, John. Looks like I've solved the time problem, so hope to be with you again next week.

midnight johnny
09-11-2013, 08:43 AM
Folks.....I know the show was unusual for you....me too. It required some changes in plans and a bit of reworking until Kim was able to spend time with us. And that she did...over 90 minutes! I appreciate all the questions that you came up with, and my apologies for not being able to get to all of them. When Kim was able to join us on air, the most important thing at that point was to help her feel as comfortable as possible, and a lot of that meant taking my cues from her as to what she wanted to talk about.
But again, I want to thank you all for your patience, and your love for Kim shown through with your wonderful responses to her here on this thread. Thanks so much for your support. I'm beginning to think that Motown is the SOUL of "Nightflight"...and that you folks are the HEART. Thanks so much for being part of this...and all the "Nightflight" shows.
Remember...next week....oyyyy vey...The Complete Motown Singles....

midnight johnny
09-11-2013, 08:51 AM
Thank you, Kim. You're a star!

Have a great week, John. Looks like I've solved the time problem, so hope to be with you again next week.

Martin..you have a great week too! Hope you can listen next week. Cheers!

midnight johnny
09-11-2013, 08:52 AM
Great show John. Thank you so much. Looking forward to the complete singles!

Thanks so much, Thomas! Glad you'll be with us for TCMSs!!

midnight johnny
09-11-2013, 08:53 AM
What a wonderful treat that was to hear Kim in conversation like that--she's so candid and direct and right there at every step. Completely not of the ordinary but very special indeed. Thanks for the interview John.

Thanks, Bruce. I really appreciate it!

midnight johnny
09-11-2013, 08:56 AM
Good night - God bless you Johnny for ALL that you do!

Thank you so much, Msjoys! Always a pleasure to see you. And God bless you too...I do just what YOU do....love the music and the folks that created it!

midnight johnny
09-11-2013, 08:57 AM
I thought I heard the Mandante in the background at the beginning of that one, but maybe I was mistaken.

Kenneth...Mandante....yes...I DO love that! Thanks!

midnight johnny
09-11-2013, 09:00 AM
John;

Thank you, Mark...
I know you got this from Thomas here last night....but just in case....

midnight johnny
09-11-2013, 09:01 AM
Hi Johnny, I finally made it :)

Tony....so glad you caught up with us!!

midnight johnny
09-11-2013, 09:15 AM
Here's what Kim is talking about:
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/01/arts/music/for-a-classic-motown-song-about-money-credit-is-what-he-wants.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Carole...thanks so much for posting this link to the Barrett Strong NY Times articlethat Kim brought up...VERY troubling....
Kim brought this up related to people, including her, that didn't get credited for their
involvement in writing songs.

BTW, Carole...thanks for all you do...much appreciated!

midnight johnny
09-11-2013, 09:17 AM
Thanks John for asking Kim to share thoughts on Marvin for me!

Of course, Glen...glad you brought it up! Hope your friends enjoyed the show.

R. Mark Desjardins
09-11-2013, 12:13 PM
John;
You really are a wonderful, considerate guy. You helped Kim feel very much at ease under a stressful situation for her. And what wonderful stories she shared. I very much look forward to her memories when she gets to committing them on paper!

midnight johnny
09-11-2013, 04:54 PM
John;
You really are a wonderful, considerate guy. You helped Kim feel very much at ease under a stressful situation for her. And what wonderful stories she shared. I very much look forward to her memories when she gets to committing them on paper!

Mark....you are very kind. Yes...Kim did share some wonderful stories, and not always
pleasant one. She didn't have an easy time of it always. It would be wonderful if she would create an autobiography. Thanks, Mark!