PDA

View Full Version : No wonder Thelma left Motown

test

luke
09-05-2013, 09:56 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpomkjS5xCY Lousy follow up; bizarre video.

marv2
09-05-2013, 10:42 PM
It was a clear [[if not a very good one) attempt to piggy back off the success of "Don't Leave Me This Way" using many of the same riffs and the song structure is nearly identical. Good grief! LOL!

milven
09-05-2013, 10:53 PM
It was popular in NYC Clubs in the seventies and made top twenty on disco charts. There was a longer version - it may have been a bootleg version but it sounded great.

luke
09-05-2013, 11:27 PM
U ain't kidding Marv. And I remember reading how displeased Thelma was! She left quickly after this!

nabob
09-06-2013, 07:17 AM
U ain't kidding Marv. And I remember reading how displeased Thelma was! She left quickly after this!I have a slight disagreement because Thelma remained at Motown another three years releasing The Devil In Me - T358, with this song in 1977, Ready To Roll - T361 in 1978, and Ride To The Rainbow - T365 in 1980. Her contract hadn't expired and more product hit the market after I'm Here Again. The final Motown LP, Reachin' All Around - 6034ML came out in 1982 after her departure to RCA for three albums and contained previously unreleased material.

Kamasu_Jr
09-06-2013, 08:53 AM
So right Nabob. Thelma Houston had an almost 10 year run with Motown. There was a record after Don't Leave Me This Way that did OK; A ballad that came before this. Thelma also had LPs with Jerry Butler in 1977 and 1978 and another moderate hit with Saturday Night, Sunday Morning. She didn't quickly leave Motown after the release of I'm Here Again.

woodward
09-06-2013, 09:24 AM
Let us not forget that Thelma had an album on Mowest #102 entitled Thelma Houston which was released in July of 1972. She obviously was dormant from this period until she hit her mark releasing records on the Tamla label.

ejluther
09-06-2013, 09:31 AM
That video set is insane!

Kamasu_Jr
09-06-2013, 09:38 AM
Thelma Houston would have made a good Dinah Washington had Motown ever made that film.

reese
09-06-2013, 09:56 AM
Thelma Houston would have made a good Dinah Washington had Motown ever made that film.

When my father heard Thelma sing IF ITS THE LAST THING I DO on American Bandstand, he said that she reminded him of Dinah.

There was a story released that Thelma was going to portray Bessie Smith in a motion picture. I think there might have even been a press conference where Thelma and some musicians dressed in 30s garb and sang some Bessie tunes for the media. Of course, the film was never made.

She did end up having films included in the Motown films BINGO LONG and NORMAN, IS THAT YOU. The songs were STEAL ON HOME and ONE OUT OF EVERY SIX. I remember her singing STEAL ON HOME on Soul Train and getting a great reaction. But both of her film songs might have been too "ragtime-ey" to get a hit record. I vaguely recall that she might have acted in some Movies of the Week as well.

jobeterob
09-06-2013, 11:27 AM
In addition, like a lot of other artists, there was no success for Thelma outside of Motown.

At least Thelma continued to work.

People like Diana, Eddie, Gladys, Smokey, Lionel and even David Ruffin to some extent, made it outside the group and away from Motown to some degree. Almost everyone else didn't do that well or just managed like Thelma Houston.

It is not popular but I recall Ralph responding to the question about why the Andantes were used so much and saying "because they were better than the group members".

There are lots of talented people around that never make it; even one hit record like Thelma had is a huge accomplishment. Most people never get that far.

REDHOT
09-06-2013, 02:30 PM
And let's not forget,Thelma Houston was the first female solo singer, at Motown to win a Grammy,you'd think Berry Gordy would have really put a lot of work into her,he didn't.Thelma is still one of THE BEST singers around today.Please stay positive

Kamasu_Jr
09-06-2013, 02:42 PM
There's that story that Mr. Gordy didn't like Don't Leave Me This Way as done by Thelma. Allegedly, she bet him it would be a hit if it were released. He lost. I could see him being somewhat pleased for Thelma's Grammy win, but not overjoyed because you- know- who had not won a Grammy.

reese
09-06-2013, 03:09 PM
There's that story that Mr. Gordy didn't like Don't Leave Me This Way as done by Thelma. Allegedly, she bet him it would be a hit if it were released. He lost. I could see him being somewhat pleased for Thelma's Grammy win, but not overjoyed because you- know- who had not won a Grammy.

I recall reading somewhere that it was Suzanne dePasse who really wanted it released. In any event, Berry might have been tentative because Jobete didn't have the publishing on it.

REDHOT
09-06-2013, 07:48 PM
Yes Kamasu Jr,i know where you are coming from,Berry Gordy did all he could do,to get,you know who the Grammy,and dammmm Thelma Houston get it,and you know who, never got a Grammy,not really lol.Please stay positive

marv2
09-06-2013, 08:34 PM
Yes Kamasu Jr,i know where you are coming from,Berry Gordy did all he could do,to get,you know who the Grammy,and dammmm Thelma Houston get it,and you know who, never got a Grammy,not really lol.Please stay positive

She still never won one in competition.

milven
09-06-2013, 11:24 PM
She still never won one in competition.

Yeah! What a loser :rolleyes:

I'm glad Thelma won. I love that song by both Thelma and Teddy. By the way, which came out first? For some reason, I remember them both out at the same time, but I know I am wrong.

milven
09-06-2013, 11:37 PM
Is it true that this was supposed to be Diana's follow up to Love Hangover. After hearing Thelma's version, I can't picture Diana doing it

supremester
09-07-2013, 05:25 AM
That's because you don't understand Berry Gordy very well. I'm told he loved his peeps getting Grammys because he felt it reflected well on him. He did very little to ingratiate you-know-who with the academy - making her unavailable for presenting and booking her so she couldn't attend the broadcasts. It's not as if he was building Ross' career for vocal pyrotechnics to win a Grammy. Her biggest single in '77 was Getting ready For Love - I doubt very much he expected that to beat Don't leave Me This Way - in spite of the picture some created with their fictionalized stories about Gordy. He signed Gladys because he knew she was a major talent and gave her top material - got her on TV incessantly and built her an act to get her out of the chitin circuit - the whole time knowing she would likely win Grammys - and she was Motown's first woman to win one in '73 [[although I think she deserved them for Nitty Gritty, I Don't Want To Do Wrong and If I Were Your Woman before then.)

marv2
09-07-2013, 09:37 AM
That's because you don't understand Berry Gordy very well. I'm told he loved his peeps getting Grammys because he felt it reflected well on him. He did very little to ingratiate you-know-who with the academy - making her unavailable for presenting and booking her so she couldn't attend the broadcasts. It's not as if he was building Ross' career for vocal pyrotechnics to win a Grammy. Her biggest single in '77 was Getting ready For Love - I doubt very much he expected that to beat Don't leave Me This Way - in spite of the picture some created with their fictionalized stories about Gordy. He signed Gladys because he knew she was a major talent and gave her top material - got her on TV incessantly and built her an act to get her out of the chitin circuit - the whole time knowing she would likely win Grammys - and she was Motown's first to win one in '73 [[although I think she deserved them for Nitty Gritty, I Don't Want To Do Wrong and If I Were Your Woman before then.)

All this is garbage you are talking about. You don't know anything about what Berry Gordy was thinking then or now so why post something like this?

Gladys was the first what? The Temptations were the first Motown act to win a Grammy for 1968's "Cloud Nine".

woodward
09-07-2013, 10:05 AM
Does anyone know what Thelma Houston is doing these days? Still performing? You rarely hear anything about her.

marv2
09-07-2013, 11:58 AM
Does anyone know what Thelma Houston is doing these days? Still performing? You rarely hear anything about her.

Yes she is still singing and performing.

Roberta75
09-07-2013, 12:22 PM

Heres Miss Thelmas website woodward. Thelma has recorded a version of Donna Summers Last Dance which is the best version ive heard after Donnas version.

www.thelmahouston.com

Fondly,

Roberta

Jimi LaLumia
09-07-2013, 12:54 PM
oh dear, there are some sad, bitter horrors on here, aren't there?
the same ones who were praying that "The Diana Ross Story', oops, sorry,
MOTOWN:THE MUSICAL, would fail..and instead it's Broadway's biggest hit in years, also headed to Chicago, Detroit, L.A. and the U.K., spreading the gospel
of Diana Ross!..what are they gonna do when the movie version is announced?..LOL

no_place_like_motown
09-07-2013, 01:20 PM
Yeah! What a loser :rolleyes:

I'm glad Thelma won. I love that song by both Thelma and Teddy. By the way, which came out first? For some reason, I remember them both out at the same time, but I know I am wrong.

DLMTW was first recorded by Harold Melvin & the Blues feat Teddy in 1975. It was an LP cut from "Wake Up Everybody."

supremester
09-07-2013, 01:34 PM
First of all, Mavis, I never said I knew anything about what Berry Gordy is thinking now [[although I DO since I chatted with him twice in the last few months, I just never said so) Second: I DO know what he thought about The Grammys back then the same way YOU always know The Andantes weren't on every record others say they were: I WAS TOLD. The only difference between what I was told and what YOU were told is that MY sources were made public long before I ever heard of you - not convenient information that I claim to have after the fact. [[And I'm not the one who gets called out hourly for questions about my veracity.) THIRD of all, Miss Thang, The Grammy convo was about Thelma and her being the first WOMAN at Motown to win a Grammy. The Temptations are not women and although I know your world IS a ball of confusion, dear, my guess is that unless you once again have information to the contrary that someone told you, The Temptations ARE MEN.
All this is garbage you are talking about. You don't know anything about what Berry Gordy was thinking then or now so why post something like this?

Gladys was the first what? The Temptations were the first Motown act to win a Grammy for 1968's "Cloud Nine".

marv2
09-07-2013, 01:49 PM
First of all, Mavis, I never said I knew anything about what Berry Gordy is thinking now [[although I DO since I chatted with him twice in the last few months, I just never said so) Second: I DO know what he thought about The Grammys back then the same way YOU always know The Andantes weren't on every record others say they were: I WAS TOLD. The only difference between what I was told and what YOU were told is that MY sources were made public long before I ever heard of you - not convenient information that I claim to have after the fact. [[And I'm not the one who gets called out hourly for questions about my veracity.) THIRD of all, Miss Thang, The Grammy convo was about Thelma and her being the first WOMAN at Motown to win a Grammy. The Temptations are not women and although I know your world IS a ball of confusion, dear, my guess is that unless you once again have information to the contrary that someone told you, The Temptations ARE MEN.

You do NOT know Berry and you do NOT know what you are talking about. This is just plain sick!

Jimi LaLumia
09-07-2013, 01:49 PM
Exactly!!!..from REDHOT's post yesterday @ 1:30

"And let's not forget,Thelma Houston was the first female solo singer, at Motown to win a Grammy,you'd think Berry Gordy would have really put a lot of work into her,he didn.."

supremester
09-07-2013, 02:09 PM
You know nothing about me or my life. You don't know who I know and who I don't. To even state with such force that I don't know Berry tips your hand for all other proclamations you make about topics here and elsewhere. YOU don't know, but act like you do. Thank you for this - it just proves the point so many here are trying to make. There are those who read this that know, once again, you are lying. Sick, girlfriend? You got a looooooooooong way to go before you call anyone else sick, or ain't you looked at yourself lately? Look at the stuff you say, ugly, negatives towards people you don't know, gross exaggggggggerations on many sites and hundreds of occasions, horrendous use of hurtful words about groups of people, and you call this sick? LOLOLOL. I hope Saint Peter [[who I also know) is in a good mood the day you exit!
You do NOT know Berry and you do NOT know what you are talking about. This is just plain sick!

marv2
09-07-2013, 02:27 PM
You know nothing about me or my life. You don't know who I know and who I don't. To even state with such force that I don't know Berry tips your hand for all other proclamations you make about topics here and elsewhere. YOU don't know, but act like you do. Thank you for this - it just proves the point so many here are trying to make. There are those who read this that know, once again, you are lying. Sick, girlfriend? You got a looooooooooong way to go before you call anyone else sick, or ain't you looked at yourself lately? Look at the stuff you say, ugly, negatives towards people you don't know, gross exaggggggggerations on many sites and hundreds of occasions, horrendous use of hurtful words about groups of people, and you call this sick? LOLOLOL. I hope Saint Peter [[who I also know) is in a good mood the day you exit!

I know more than you think I know and that is already too much in my opinion being that you meaning nothing. But to sit up here day in and day out making up stories about REAL people that have REAL lives is just ridiculous on your part. You're two-faced and a phony.

BayouMotownMan
09-07-2013, 02:49 PM
Supremester, don't even try to argue, take it to Ralph and Lowell. The file is building

REDHOT
09-07-2013, 06:21 PM
LOL You're right Jimi LaLumia,i never said that Thelma Houston was the first female singer at Motown to get a Grammy Supremester,i said Thelma Houston was the first female solo singer,at Motown to win a Grammy,Gladys Knight was a part of a group.[[The Pips)lol i knew this would come up,i really think,you know who should have won a Grammy,but the politics in the music business was not having it,again Thelma Houston was the first female solo singer,at Motown to win a Grammy,and they did nothing for her,just think,if you know who,had won a Grammy,Motown[[Berry Gordy)would have went all out for her,you name it,yes it's all politics,and that's the truth lol,Please stay positive

supremester
09-07-2013, 08:24 PM
You know, I misread that. I do, however, think of Gladys as a solo cuz the Pips were just bg - they were fine, but any male group coulda done those vocals.....not the show, but in the studio....probably. Anyway, Gladdy shoulda had a handful at Motown. I disagree that Motown would have done more for you know who .....like what, specifically? Give her better material than What You Gave Me?? LOL

milven
09-08-2013, 01:09 AM
..I...think of Gladys as a solo cuz the Pips were just bg - they were fine, but any male group coulda done those vocals.....not the show, but in the studio....

Ouch! If that were said about Diana Ross & The Supremes, all hell would break loose. My first record by GK&P was Every Beat of My Heart and the label said THE PIPS. I don't disagree with your statement that any male singers could have sung in background on the records. I probably wouldn't know the difference. I certainly didn't know it was happening with the Supremes. But I've always considered GK&P a group.

Here is a clip of THE PIPS without Gladys. It is too funny ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdN27HzoyO4

REDHOT
09-08-2013, 01:57 AM
For me Gladys Knight And The Pips were special,Gladys without her Pips,would have made Gladys just another r and b female singer,it's just my opinion.
Please stay positive

jillfoster
09-08-2013, 02:17 AM
Supremester, don't even try to argue, take it to Ralph and Lowell. The file is building

Why don't you go back to selling your Supremes pictures on ebay. Nobody likes a hypocrite.

ralpht
09-08-2013, 10:14 AM
I just caught up to this thread and, in all honesty, I'm not quite sure what the beef is. Supremester, I think you need to tone it down a bit.

If you guys want a little background on the Thelma Houston hit, here is what happened. Hal Davis, the producer, would at times use his own money to record things he thought might not pass muster with Quality Control. He would then bring the finished master in and if QC liked what they heard he would be reimbursed for his sessions. This was the case with "Don't Leave Me this Way". No one believed in the song except Hal and Russ, who mixed the song.
There was an undercurrent that some were hoping the record would fail to prove some sort of point against Hal and Russ. the record started slow but each week built a little more momentum on the charts until an out and out hit became reality, vindicating Hal and Russ and giving them ever more power in the company. Russ discusses this with me in one of our videos, but I can't remember which one. It is also discussed in my book about my brother, "Russ Terrana's Motown".

So, is his the crux of the disagreement? I sometimes have a hard time figuring what the hell is going on. My first thought was to zap the thread, but I'll let things stand for now. Just know that I will be looking in.

supremester
09-08-2013, 10:15 AM
I know that visually, The Pips brought a lot to Gladys and they were quite an act. I know they were a group, but Gladys' voice, is one of the very very very best in R&B/Pop history - and still is. The Pips did provide unique and wonderful vocals on Nitty Gritty especially. Gladys' voice, for those mulling seeing her live, is still 99% on par with 1970. Amazing.

Roberta75
09-08-2013, 10:25 AM
I just caught up to this thread and, in all honesty, I'm not quite sure what the beef is. Supremester, I think you need to tone it down a bit.

If you guys want a little background on the Thelma Houston hit, here s what happened. Hal Davis, the producer, would at times use his own money to record things he thought might not pass muster with Quality Control. He would then bring the finished master in and if QC liked what they heard he would be reimbursed for his sessions. This was the case with "Don't Leave Me this Way". No one believed in the song except Hal and Russ, who mixed the song.
There was an undercurrent that some were hoping the record would fail to prove some sort of point against Hal and Russ. the record started slow but each week built a little more momentum on the charts until an out and out hit became reality, vindicating Hal and Russ and giving them ever more power in the company. Russ discusses this with me in one of our videos, but I can't remember which one. It is also discussed in my book about my brother, "Russ Terrana's Motown".

So, is his the crux of the disagreement? I sometimes have a hard time figuring what the hell is going on. My first thought was to zap the thread, but I'll let things stand for now. Just know that I will be looking in.

marv2 can call people sick, two faced and phony but Supremester is ask to tone it down. Come one Ralph you know i love and respect you cant turn a blind eye to marvs name calling every single time.

Yours, with every good wish.

Roberta

ralpht
09-08-2013, 10:30 AM
I realize that I may miss things from time to time and Marv is as guilty as all that get caught up in some of these disagreements, so...Hey Marv...cool it. I don't need this aggravation. I guess what never ceases to amaze me is how simple disagreements get so out of hand over.....music....geesh...So everyone, please back off and get a grip.

Better, Roberta? Like I mentioned, I sometimes have a hard time figuring what the hell you guys are bickering about. However, I must add one thing. Marv's credibility holds a lot more water than some of the things I see on certain threads and then when he puts forth something, I see him attacked. Basically a no-win situation for me.

Roberta75
09-08-2013, 10:35 AM
I realize that I may miss things from time to time and Marv is as guilty as all that get caught up in some of these disagreements, so...Hey Marv...cool it. I don't need this aggravation. I guess what never ceases to amaze me is how simple disagreements get so out of hand over.....music....geesh...So everyone, please back off and get a grip.

Better, Roberta? Like I mentioned, I sometimes have a hard time figuring what the hell you guys are bickering about.

Much better and real fair imo Ralph. I also get real amazed by a group of mostly grown men having weekly cat fights over the Supremes and now poor Thelma Houston get dragged into it. LOL

Have a beautiful and blessed Sunday Ralph.

Fondly,

Roberta

REDHOT
09-08-2013, 10:46 AM
Thanks Ralph,that was some good info on Thelma Houston's Don't Leave Me This Way,and winning a Grammy,you just never know lol,Please stay positive

supremester
09-08-2013, 10:47 AM
The beef is me being told that what I am saying is untrue [[although I can provide YOU proof) by someone who knows zilch about me and has no point of reference to make such a statement. I took umbrage to that. That's the beef.

If you guys want a little background on the Thelma Houston hit, here is what happened. Hal Davis, the producer, would at times use his own money to record things he thought might not pass muster with Quality Control. He would then bring the finished master in and if QC liked what they heard he would be reimbursed for his sessions. This was the case with "Don't Leave Me this Way". No one believed in the song except Hal and Russ, who mixed the song.

ralpht
09-08-2013, 10:51 AM
Fair enough Supremester. Show me proof when you propose something. In Marv's defense, he generally knows what he is talking about.

marv2
09-08-2013, 11:08 AM

Better, Roberta? Like I mentioned, I sometimes have a hard time figuring what the hell you guys are bickering about. However, I must add one thing. Marv's credibility holds a lot more water than some of the things I see on certain threads and then when he puts forth something, I see him attacked. Basically a no-win situation for me.

Ok Ralph, I will chill out.

ralpht
09-08-2013, 11:09 AM
Much appreciated, Marv.

Hotspurman
09-08-2013, 11:35 AM
oh dear, there are some sad, bitter horrors on here, aren't there?
the same ones who were praying that "The Diana Ross Story', oops, sorry,
MOTOWN:THE MUSICAL, would fail..and instead it's Broadway's biggest hit in years, also headed to Chicago, Detroit, L.A. and the U.K., spreading the gospel
of Diana Ross!..what are they gonna do when the movie version is announced?..LOL
Off the topic a bit, but do you know when the musical is due to hit Detroit, Los Angeles and London? I know it's opening in Chicago next April but I've not seen any details of other venues. I'd be particularly interested in London, of course....

Jimi LaLumia
09-08-2013, 11:56 AM
a fellow journalist friend of mine who covers the 'broadway beat'[[which I don't cover) and has access to backstage doings informed me that talks are in progress/negotiation stage for the areas mentioned, with Detroit next on the list[[ for obvious reasons) after the Chicago production gets it's groove on.. as further details emerge, if I get those details first, I'll spill it here..

woodward
09-08-2013, 12:08 PM
LOL You're right Jimi LaLumia,i never said that Thelma Houston was the first female singer at Motown to get a Grammy Supremester,i said Thelma Houston was the first female solo singer,at Motown to win a Grammy,Gladys Knight was a part of a group.[[The Pips)lol i knew this would come up,i really think,you know who should have won a Grammy,but the politics in the music business was not having it,again Thelma Houston was the first female solo singer,at Motown to win a Grammy,and they did nothing for her,just think,if you know who,had won a Grammy,Motown[[Berry Gordy)would have went all out for her,you name it,yes it's all politics,and that's the truth lol,Please stay positive
The Fury Record label out of NYC released a total of 5 GK&P singles. I have two of them in mint condition in my collection, #1052 Guess Who b/w Stop Running Around, and #1064 Operator b/w I'll Trust In You. Both of these records the labels read "Gladys Knight and the Pips."

detmotownguy
09-08-2013, 12:09 PM
Hi Marv
In Detroit DLMTW was quite popular. We're u in Toledo at that time? If so how popular was this song in that market area? BTW unclog ur mailbox!
Thanks!

marv2
09-08-2013, 12:20 PM
Hi Marv
In Detroit DLMTW was quite popular. We're u in Toledo at that time? If so how popular was this song in that market area? BTW unclog ur mailbox!
Thanks!

Hey Det! Oh yeah it was very popular. Stations that rarely played black artists like WOHO, WTOD, WCWA in Toledo ,played this song by Thelma frequently. I remember it came out during one of the coldest winters I can remember [['76-'77). It was played regularly in the disco's back then. For some reason I remember Ebony Magazine running a feature on the growing Disco scene in January 1977 and this song may have been mentioned.

Correction, it was the February 1977 issue that they ran the article on Disco.

reese
09-08-2013, 02:27 PM
The Fury Record label out of NYC released a total of 5 GK&P singles. I have two of them in mint condition in my collection, #1052 Guess Who b/w Stop Running Around, and #1064 Operator b/w I'll Trust In You. Both of these records the labels read "Gladys Knight and the Pips."

The group was originally called The Pips. They recorded EVERY BEAT OF MY HEART as a lark for an Atlanta club owner. Without their knowledge, he first put the record out locally, and then sold the master to Vee Jay, who released the record as by "The Pips."

Simultaneously, the group signed to Fury Records and re-recorded and released EVERY BEAT OF MY HEART. Because both the Vee Jay and Fury record were on the charts at the same time, Fury decided to distinguish its release by adding Gladys' name to the credits.

jsmith
09-09-2013, 06:02 AM
Back to the theme of this thread & getting away from YET MORE POINTLESS Diane related discussions ..... Motown [[Berry I'd guess) was always chasing song writers who he thought had ripped off a Motown groove & used it in their hit song.
SO HOW COME, Motown [[Wakefield & the Suttons) got away with such a blatant G & H rip-off with "I'm Here Again" ??
... or did G&H come after them and get part of the publishing ??

SupremeBoy
09-09-2013, 06:12 AM
i wanted to read an informative thread on thelma houston's big hit and a personal motown favorite of mine. but no, it just got reduced to more diana ross bashing, and the thinly veiled references to her as "you know who".

what is wrong with you people?

ralpht
09-09-2013, 07:23 AM
I don't know why this always happens SupremeBoy. It just does. Stay on topic gang.

Methuselah2
09-09-2013, 07:55 AM

Woodward - The recent documentary THE SECRET DISCO REVOLUTION is not particulary good but Thelma is one of its featured interviewees, and it was very enjoyable to see and hear what she had to say. I can't recommend the film but there were a few parts and interviews that I was glad I saw. And Thelma was certainly one of its higher points.

REDHOT
09-09-2013, 08:11 AM
lol really,i love Thelma Houston,i got every album,or cd she ever recorded,she can sing anything.Please stay positive

thommg
09-09-2013, 05:15 PM
I don't think Thelma ever recorded a bad album - a couple of lesser tracks every now and then but all listenable. I listen to a few that she recorded after Motown more than her Motown stuff, though. Throw You Down is a great record as is Qualifying Heat. And I recently rediscovered Never Gonna Be Another One when it was released on a two-fer. Her 1975 I've Got The Music In Me with Pressure Cooker is excellent. I'm just sorry that she wasn't able to score another huge hit. I think she deserved to have another. She redid Don't Leave Me This Way back in the late 1990s, which I heard at a rally, and it was fantastic. I was hoping that might be recorded and released but, alas, it never was.

And for the record, if you read Gladys Knights book, she always thought of herself as being in a group until she was asked to record a solo album for Buddah in 1978.

supremester
09-09-2013, 11:31 PM
I love Thelma's voice: she can be smooth n sexy, deeply soulful, blazing hot sass or all church - excellent. How lucky we are & she is that Miss Ross turned it down. I recall a 1972[[?) interview with Miss Ross in someone's living room where they are playing records and she goes on a tear about an incredibly talented new singer, Thelma Houston, Motown is about to launch who is going to make it big..

REDHOT
09-10-2013, 03:30 AM
Again,let's stick to the topic,Thelma Houston,i'm sure Motown was not ready,when Thelma won the Grammy,you just never know lol,Please stay positive

ralpht
09-10-2013, 07:19 AM
Thank you Redhot......get it guys?

Kamasu_Jr
09-10-2013, 01:00 PM
I was discussing Thelma Houston. I was not bashing Diana Rosss. I didn't want to bring her name up and shift the focus from Thelma. So I said you know who. Nothing malicious intended.

ralpht
09-10-2013, 02:59 PM
No problem, Kam. Sometimes the name becomes a trigger for problems. I guess we all get a little too sensitive at times.

BayouMotownMan
09-10-2013, 05:44 PM
I met Thelma Houston in the late 1990s when she played a New Orleans venue. She was very warm with everybody talking to her.

Thelma left Motown for the same reason most female artists left. There was only to be one queen at the company. Gordy was always impressed with Thelma and she was on the label for years before getting her well-deserved hit.

Don't Leave Me and the lp Anyway You Like It were massive hits. I doubt Motown anticipated just how big. The single and lp were platinum. It was followed by the duet lp with Jerry Butler which didn't do as well as planned. Her third lp, The Devil In Me, [[my opinion the best Motown lp she did) also fell short and her last two lps didn't sell hardly anything. This despite the modest hit Saturday Night, Sunday Morning.

She began getting offers from competing labels with promises of more money and better promotion. Like many Motown artists, when she went to collect her royalties from her hit single and lp, it was far less than she expected.

It is possible that had she remained at Motown one more year, Ross left and Thelma would likely have gotten better promotion. But that is speculative. Going into the 1980s Motown was not the influential record company it once had been. Distribution problems and overall bad decisions crippled them. Thelma never had another big hit record after Motown, but the disco crowds keep her busy and working to this day.

Roberta75
09-10-2013, 05:51 PM
No problem, Kam. Sometimes the name becomes a trigger for problems. I guess we all get a little too sensitive at times.

I dont get people getting sensitive or hateful about a woman or man or performer who they dont know. Its real odd to me. Youve worked with Mr Gordy and Miss Diane Ross and the other motown stars and I never hear you trash anyone Ralph. Thats cause hes a real gentleman folks.

Diane Ross and Mary Wilson stir up some real mean feelings and ugly thoughts and words yet the people who trash these women dont even know them.

If you dont like a singer then take the high road and say nothing. I dont care for Gladys Knight so I avoid her threads.

Yours, with every good wish.

Roberta

REDHOT
09-10-2013, 06:33 PM
No matter what the reason was,Motown should have done much more for Thelma Houston,after the Grammy win,they did nothing,so she moved on,GREAT.i feel had she stayed,they[[motown)would have still,done nothing for her,i could be wrong,it's just my opinion,i wish Thelma would do a tribute album to Dionne Warwick,on one of her RCA albums,she did Don't Make Me Over,i must say, Thelma sang her you know what off lol.Please stay positive

marv2
09-10-2013, 07:36 PM
No matter what the reason was,Motown should have done much more for Thelma Houston,after the Grammy win,they did nothing,so she moved on,GREAT.i feel had she stayed,they[[motown)would have still,done nothing for her,i could be wrong,it's just my opinion,i wish Thelma would do a tribute album to Dionne Warwick,on one of her RCA albums,she did Don't Make Me Over,i must say, Thelma sang her you know what off lol.Please stay positive

I agree they should have done more for Thelma. Motown has so, so many great, talented people [[in front of and behind the microphones) that I feel they took them for granted. Eddie Kendricks, David Ruffin, Mary Wilson, Jean Terrell, Chuck Jackson, the Vandellas ,etc,etc. All were enormously talented people that should have been given more attention by the company.

captainjames
09-10-2013, 10:16 PM
I thought Motown came back with "The Devil In Me" with Thelma Houston was a positive move. It seem like Motown was behind her because she had Brian Holland, Edward J. Holland and Richard Davis on "I Can't Go On Living Without You", Greg Wright and Karin Patterson on "Triflin" [[ my favorite tune) and Michael Masser and Pam Sawyer on " Your Eyes". Besides that she had one of the best album covers I had ever seen. I loved it !!!! Motown got Too big and did not have enough gloves to handle everyone however other labels had gloves but didn't have a clue what to do with them.

BayouMotownMan
09-11-2013, 07:12 PM
I love Triflin' too as well. The whole of Side A was great. It did ok salewise for an album that had no hit singles to boost it.

REDHOT
09-11-2013, 07:38 PM
I do think, had Thelma been the first solo female singer at another record company,to win a Grammy,they would have went all out for her,now with that said,i'm gonna leave it alone lol,i also love Thelma's BreakWaterCat album,Jimmy Webb produced some great tracks for it,Please stay positive

cdave2
09-11-2013, 11:53 PM
I always liked Thelma Houston. She had the ability to take lyrics that could make anyone else seem like a doormat, and sound as if she could scorch the earth in front of the cowardly so-and-so to prevent him from leaving. Go Thelma!

I'm particularly fond of "All of That," a little gem that came out in the 90s on Azuli Records:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMZikbHHQLQ

pghmusiclover
09-12-2013, 01:55 PM
I'm not sure if this has been mentioned, but it looks like Soulmusic.com will be releasing her duets albums with Jerry Butler on CD in October:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/THELMA-JERRY-TWO-TO-ONE/dp/B00EYUIPSG/ref=pd_sim_m_h__1