PDA

View Full Version : Sister sledge sues kathy sledge over name...oh, what, wow!!!

test

glencro
09-05-2013, 12:49 PM
Being a long time fan, this is pretty heart breaking but things have gotten a bit ugly. In the 16 page lawsuit that's attached the group is charging her with copyright infringement, confusing their audiences, lowering the group's value, etc. Sounds like a job for Iyanla Vanzant. http://www.jdsupra.com/legalnews/sister-sledge-trademark-lawsuit-sister-s-66097/

glencro
09-05-2013, 12:51 PM
On top of that looks as if the group his literally wiped Kathy out of the legacy of the group with their new website www.sistersledge.com . She was "the voice" of the group.

Kamasu_Jr
09-05-2013, 01:20 PM
Even though I think Iyanla is full of crap; This does seem to be right up her alley- family feuding. How can you sue someone over a name that is their name?

glencro
09-05-2013, 01:39 PM
LOL @ alley family feuding. I was thinking the same thing but apparently the other sisters somehow obtained ownership of the name that they all built. I don't think it's fair but unfortunately it's the law.

Kamasu_Jr
09-05-2013, 01:51 PM
Money can make people do strange things. For showbiz families, it's a curse.

nosey
09-05-2013, 02:10 PM
Sisters put your differences aside and go out there and make that money! Your mother and grandmother must be rolling over.

Jerry Oz
09-05-2013, 02:12 PM
This is shades of the En Vogue lawsuit, which after years of flinging mud resulted [[I believe) in a victory for one side but damages for neither. I can't imagine what brought them to this point.

glencro
09-05-2013, 02:27 PM
Sisters put your differences aside and go out there and make that money! Your mother and grandmother must be rolling over.

I totally agree nosey. After seeing the 4 of them on Oprah two years ago they still had the look and sound. I know that something was up since there's been two versions performing since the late 90's. It's really sad but money really will make you do strange things. They need to give this situation to JESUS http://www.oprah.com/oprahshow/Backstage-with-Sister-Sledge-Video

Soul Sister
09-05-2013, 08:12 PM
LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL@Kam! U so curazeeee!!!

Yep, Nosey they should but you know how it always goes the wrong way. GEEZ>>>>>>>>>>

Sounds like The Manhattans back in the 90's when they went to court.

Just SAD how some people hold onto old grudges.

S.S.

soulster
09-05-2013, 08:59 PM
Never go into business with family or friends.

marv2
09-06-2013, 12:57 AM
Sad to see them go out this way. Whatever happened to "We Are Family"?

theboyfromxtown
09-06-2013, 03:12 AM
Joni seems quite distant, dont you think

GrtGzu
09-06-2013, 07:18 AM
New Song: "We Not Family"...

milven
09-06-2013, 08:26 AM
Ex-member Kathy Sledge has been touring Australia under the name "Sister Sledge featuring Kathy Sledge."

Three of the original Sister Sledge members are also performing together and have toured in Europe.

Kathy Sledge is touring with back up singers and not her "sisters."

Kathy Sledge left the group twenty-five years ago. The lawsuit alleges she has repeatably booked tour dates claiming she is the only remaining member of the group.

I wonder if the back up singers that she hired were Karen and Kaaren;)

glencro
09-06-2013, 06:31 PM
Joni seems quite distant, dont you think

She really does on that clip

Jerry Oz
09-06-2013, 06:41 PM
New Song: "We Not Family"...
Or sadder [[to me, anyway): "We Were Family".

glencro
09-06-2013, 06:43 PM
These photos were all taken in the 2000's , proof that Kathy hadn't totally left the group. I do believe that she should have spent more time concentrating on building a name as a solo artist. She was definitely talented enough to do it. She released one cd in the last 20 years. Though it flopped I think she became comfortable riding on the name and hits of the group, even though it was her voice on them. She's been pretty candid about being estranged from her sisters lately [[who woulda thunk it).
Also, according to that lawsuit is says that "We Are Family" has had 250 million downloads. I guess that explains the class action lawsuit that the sisters [[Kathy included) has against Time Warner.

nosey
09-07-2013, 11:43 AM
Hey glencro, I was one of those 250 million downloads. I just hosted my family reunion last month and had someone download the song for me.

splanky
09-07-2013, 02:11 PM
Kathy may have been primary lead, I don't know as I barely paid much attention to this group,
but her first name wasn't "Sister" even if her last name is Sledge and Sister Sledge was a registered name for the group, the one she CHOSE to leave, am I correct so far?...Her booking
promotions use the group name which I'm sure gives the impression to fans that they will
be seeing the group though they won't. She doesn't own the group name, does she?...No..
They have a case and not only has she now made a public fool of herself, I'm betting 10 dollars to a donut SHE WILL LOSE....and despite what some believe some family acts have
had long careers without the members slicing each others throats, figuratively and literally....

marv2
09-07-2013, 02:37 PM
Kathy may have been primary lead, I don't know as I barely paid much attention to this group,
but her first name wasn't "Sister" even if her last name is Sledge and Sister Sledge was a registered name for the group, the one she CHOSE to leave, am I correct so far?...Her booking
promotions use the group name which I'm sure gives the impression to fans that they will
be seeing the group though they won't. She doesn't own the group name, does she?...No..
They have a case and not only has she now made a public fool of herself, I'm betting 10 dollars to a donut SHE WILL LOSE....and despite what some believe some family acts have
had long careers without the members slicing each others throats, figuratively and literally....

Yeah, The Mills Brothers! LOL!!!

Jerry Oz
09-07-2013, 04:24 PM
This reminds me of the "Unsung" episode about the Sylvers. Leon Sylvers was a remarkable talent with them and especially after they fired him. Their best years were ahead of them, but not without their most talented member.

The same pressures that destroy bands comprised of friends can destroy bands and groups comprised of families. Usually, it is ego, jealousy, greed, drugs, sex, or money that is the reason many do not make it.

MotownSteve
09-07-2013, 05:04 PM
Never go into business with family or friends.

The exception that proves the rule [[regarding friends): The Four Tops

tallone
09-08-2013, 05:12 PM
MotownSteve....I would also include The Dells as an exception.