Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
I also love the song, but never felt it a wise choice as a single. Having said, given it's quality it really should have done better than it did. Perhaps it was Diana's solid success rate with ballads in the UK that prompted EMI to select it as the second single. Then as now it seems a really bad idea. Judging from a performance seen on you tube it was not an easy song for Diana to perform live either.
I agree that "If Your Not Gonna Love Me Right" should without doubt have been the second single. The remixes were cool.
Going back a number of years, a song that i thought would go on to become a Diana classic was "Stay With Me". I have never understood why it was never released as the first single from the "To Love Again" album when it was so obviously the most commercial of the new batch of songs she had cut with Mr Masser.
From what i was told "stay with me" had previously been recorded by Roberta Flack and her version had been played on some of the quiet storm radio shows. This in itself is no reason why it could not have been a single but by this time Diana had departed Motown and the company had no real reason or desire to promote the album. I don't know who decided not to release "stay with me" but i agree it would have been a better follow up to "it's my turn". Diana herself did not approve of the release of the "to love again" album just as she had not been happy with Ross78, and i can well understand why not.