[REMOVE ADS]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Was drug use in Detroit a factor ?? Were the well-used musicians there losing their sheen??

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    Was drug use in Detroit a factor ?? Were the well-used musicians there losing their sheen??
    That would be such a huge stretch of a reason to relocate an entire company. Let's say that was a factor. Someone would be hard-pressed not to believe there wasn't plenty of drug use in Sunny LA. If not more so. And if that was the case, why wouldn't drug use not take a toll on the LA musicians?

Quote Originally Posted by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance View Post
    That would be such a huge stretch of a reason to relocate an entire company. Let's say that was a factor. Someone would be hard-pressed not to believe there wasn't plenty of drug use in Sunny LA. If not more so. And if that was the case, why wouldn't drug use not take a toll on the LA musicians?
    No you're reading too much into my question if you think I was asking if they fled from Detroit specifically because of drugs there, and absolutely Cali/LA was rife in instituting the drug scene so that would make no sense as any intent of a solution.

I'm just curious as to whether there was any degree of tainting to the Detroit scene that allowed Berry to bale so willingly.

It doesn't make sense to me to dismantle entirely what you're having success with to chase exclusively after an unknown. Just because Mars comes out with a new candy bar, it doesn't mean to abandon their M&Ms.

Costs being set aside as a factor, didn't a lot of the Gordy family stay in Detroit? And what percent of the company didn't want to move to LA?
    Seems strange to abandon the Funk Bros leaving them high and dry [whoops bad wording, that wasn't supposed to suggest anything] ..... but then maybe they were offered a transition to LA but they [all?] turned the offer down?
    Seems like there was plenty of the foundation in Detroit to carry on ....while expanding in LA.

ralpht:

No drug use that might cause problems. The Funks were as sharp as ever.

that is really good to hear

bob_olhsson:

Drug use was very rare and only very occasional pot. I also don't think it had to do with the riots.
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 10-23-2023 at 02:54 PM.