Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
From what i was told "stay with me" had previously been recorded by Roberta Flack and her version had been played on some of the quiet storm radio shows. This in itself is no reason why it could not have been a single but by this time Diana had departed Motown and the company had no real reason or desire to promote the album. I don't know who decided not to release "stay with me" but i agree it would have been a better follow up to "it's my turn". Diana herself did not approve of the release of the "to love again" album just as she had not been happy with Ross78, and i can well understand why not.
I have always thought that Diana herself had a lot to do with Ross 78. Did she not select the albums artwork?.
Roberta Flacks version of "Stay With Me" is excellent, as are all the songs from that album. Having said that it is Diana's version i find the more poignent. I do remember seeing posters for the album around at the time, plus Motown did release two singles form the album which though nice enough, never stood a chance of becoming hits. "Stay With Me" was by far the more commercial of the three new songs. Could it have been a copyright problem?.