[REMOVE ADS]

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
    any word at all on how this Final Sessions package is selling in it's first month or so?

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi LaLumia View Post
    any word at all on how this Final Sessions package is selling in it's first month or so?
    Seems to be doing well on Amazon in the Oldies and R&B sections!

Amazon Bestsellers Rank:
    #952 in Music [[See Top 100 in Music) .
    #53 in Music > Pop > Oldies
    #62 in Music > R&B
    Last edited by kenneth; 05-25-2011 at 07:45 PM.

Ramone Verona Guest
    Coming soon from the divine Miss Scherrie Payne, a new recording of a Supreme classic !! :
    scherriepayne.com
    scherriepayne.com

Scherrie is re-recording "Let Yourself Go"!!

Just picked up the set at Amsterdam record/dvd store Fame in their special boxset friday evening sale for the great price of € 24 [[$ 34)
    There were about 10 copies for sale but only one left when I left 30 minutes later!
    I can cancel my Amazon UK order now.

RossHolloway Guest
    Well Amazon just sold another one just now for 48.75 with free shipping!

i've had mine now for nearly 24 hours now.. wow.. just have to take my hat off to everyone involved with this: andy, george, the ladies, the holland brothers and all the other producers here... everyone. it's funny, at the beginning of the year, i was finally able to make vinyl rips of these albums that i was happy with. at that point, i was wondering whether this was even going to happen at all, and now it's here. from the opening note, it was honestly like i was listening to these songs and these albums for the very first time, all over again. hearing these songs in crystal clear clarity, with the detailed track annotations, the unreleased tracks and alternate takes along with the small little touches for the fans, like those funny little moments of studio chatter, it has been a real wonderful trip.

i had a friend wax poetic about the cover when i posted a pic of mine on facebook, and she's not even that familiar with the supremes [[especially of this particular time). so perhaps another convert in the works? i'll be working on it.. either way, this really is, "the final word" for these underrated groupings of supremes. as much as fans may lament that these groupings of supremes didn't get the chart success they deserved, i don't think there's any underestimating the strong following, dare i even say, the cult following, that the 70's group has today and the great recordings and talent that was involved. if anything else, the final sessions are a real testament to that... bravo, guys!
    Last edited by telekin; 05-27-2011 at 07:36 PM.

Ramone Verona Guest
    So glad you're enjoying the set, Telekin.
    Especially after going to the trouble of ripping vinyls.
    Your story got me thinking about a high school friend of mine that I re-connected with about a year ago.
    This person had no idea that the Supremes continued on without Diana.
    With so many DRATS sets out, he just assumed the group disbanded after "Someday".
    So my friend is having a ball after getting the 70's anthology.
    Knocked his socks off that there was so much music over 7 years.

Ok... I just got mine today. I purposely didn't spoil myself, cause I wanted to be surprised. First off.... the cover looke FINE. I like it, the pearlescent silver finish and metallic purple accents are lovely, the whole design is great. However, I am DYING to know if that picture of Mary, Scherrie, and Cindy in Mexico exists in full color as opposed to this tinted version. AWESOME picture, there must be more from that photo shoot, as Mary wrote about it in her book...underwear blowing off the pyramid, etc. Now... for the revelation. The Russ Terrana High Energy mixes. PLEASE!!!!! Whoever in quality control rejected these was just plain DEAF. His versions make Lawrence T. Horn's and Fred Ross' mixes sound like dog dookie. I can honestly say that I will likely never listen to the released version of the High Energy album ever again. Especially on "Till The Boat Sails away/I Don't Want To Lose You"... the sound is atmospheric and ethereal, the extra reverb as well as bringing Mary's vocals and the clarinet much farther up in the mix... and THEN, those very noticeable crescendos going into each chorus. BRILLIANT. And what about Susaye's background vocals on "I Don't Want To Lose You"..... HOLY. CRAP. I'm dying to know if someone arranged that for her, or if she just pulled it out of her ass. Either way, the munchkin Supreme TURNED THAT SHIT OUT! I thought my ears would explode with delight when I heard that. More review to come... if I put it all in one post, it would look like one of Juice's posts! LOL
    Last edited by jillfoster; 05-28-2011 at 12:51 AM.

I'd also like to mention the alternate version of "Only You [[Can Love Me)" .... Scherrie's vocal is WAY better on this. She pulls back in some spots, and then lets it go in others. Such a refershing change from Scherrie's usual style of coming out of the gate with guns blazing, and just shouting her way through the entire song. MAN, how I wish this alternate had been the version released.

Ramone Verona Guest
    So happy you're exploding over the set.
    If you think Scherrie has "guns blazing" upon reveal; then Levi Stubbs is like someone being tortured.
    I swear; the man only knows how to shout his way through a song.
    He was good, but needed a cold garden hose directed his way most of the time.

What? Have you listened to any of the Four Tops catalogue? There are many, many songs where he wasn't being pushed to the top of his range...

I'll Pay Double
    MacArthur Park
    Ain't No Woman Like The One I've Got
    Just Seven Numbers
    It's The Way Nature Planned It
    Still Water
    The entire 'Breaking Through' sessions...

Levi certainly doesn't sound like someone being 'tortured' to me. He was one of the greatest.

Ramone Verona Guest
    Yes, on those songs his voice is wonderful.
    I have the Lost and Found set and like the songs better when he isn't straining so much.
    Song after song of the straining just got plain tiresome.
    Hard for me to listen to a long set of early Diana Ross, also, as too much nasal tone.
    For these two artists, an album delivered a better balance than trying to listen to a long string of Motown greatest hits.

Ramone- I need to get a new voodoo doll. Send me a picture!

LOL I'm kidding!

I placed my review on Amazon [[US only, couldn't post it on UK yet as it's still pre-release there). And I don't float any conspiracy theories at all!
    Last edited by kenneth; 05-29-2011 at 03:10 AM.

There's quite a few of these songs on youtube already.

I aint found "Only You" yet which is the one I want to hear most.

Quote Originally Posted by jillfoster View Post
    I'd also like to mention the alternate version of "Only You [[Can Love Me)" .... Scherrie's vocal is WAY better on this. She pulls back in some spots, and then lets it go in others. Such a refershing change from Scherrie's usual style of coming out of the gate with guns blazing, and just shouting her way through the entire song. MAN, how I wish this alternate had been the version released.
    Jillfoster - it hurts me to say this jillfoster

But I prefer the released version....the new version may have Scherrie's voice now and clear but there are elements of the original that I was waiting for and they didn't happen.

Hey guys

Can you clarify this for me. Are there alternates of ALL the tracks from the High Energy and Mary, Scherrie and Susaye albums or is there just a few of them?

John,
    http://www.amazon.com/Let-Yourself-G...6719964&sr=1-1
    tells you what the alternate versions are.

One thing I'd forgotten about was the fabulous 'southern drawl' interlude [[Cindy, Scherrie, Mary) in the Mary Wilson led version of "Give Out, But Don't Give Up". Lovin' it, lovin' it, lovin' it!

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    Jillfoster - it hurts me to say this jillfoster

But I prefer the released version....the new version may have Scherrie's voice now and clear but there are elements of the original that I was waiting for and they didn't happen.
    It depends which one your'e talking about, John... there's the alternate MIX [[Which is part of the Russ Terrana tracks) and the alternate VERSION, with a completely different vocal. It's the alternate version that I like best. My only complaint about Russ' mix of this song is the guitar glissando at the first is much lower in the mix, and like that right out front.

Quote Originally Posted by pj1 View Post
    John,
    http://www.amazon.com/Let-Yourself-G...6719964&sr=1-1
    tells you what the alternate versions are.
    Mike......I'm sorry.

The UK site didn't have those details and I just assumed all the Amazon sites were the same. Bad move by me!

Oh well, I learnt something today.

really loving Scherrie's lead on YOU'RE WHAT S MISSING IN MY LIFE from disc three. i cant stop singing this song.one of my favorite out takes from this set along with IT'S IN HIS KISS and the BEND A LITTLE extended mix

£47.99 on Amazon uk....................is that the cheapest available to UK buyers?

Snakepit

Father's Day might be an opportunity for a far cheaper copy!

Crosstown
    hope it does com down....I'm interested but NOT at that price.
    I noticed that vol 1 [[Jean Terrell) is priced at £199 new on Amazon...they're having a lugh surely?

It's hard to tell if it will drop in price. The down side is that it might not be long before it is listed at an inflated price like the "This Is The Story" set.

I seem to remember that the price of TCMS 1966 shot through the roof a few months after its release.

I never bought the "This is the Story" set because I had all the albums, there were few bonus tracks on it, and the bonus tracks generally didn't seem to be well received. After I reviewed them on Youtube or elsewhere, I had to conclude they weren't all that interesting. Since buying the "Final Sessions," I've tried to find "Story" at a decent price. Several web sites list it at a good price but indicate it is "back order." However, after placing the order they come back and say they can't get it any longer, which seems odd as it's still available from Hip-O directly. Perhaps Hip-O is not making it available to resellers, trying to get the highest retail they can for it. I'd like to have it, but it still doesn't seem worth $85 to me with shipping and all.

This Is The Story was available for a while via online retailers, but as you say, it's now only available through Hip-O Select. I am guessing there may be limited copies left. It's one of my favourite Hip-O Select releases [[I'm listening to it right now), along with "Syreeta/Stevie Wonder Presents", "Last Time I Saw Him [Expanded Edition]" and the Final Sessions. It has a lot of previously unreleased tracks, which are included to represent the unreleased "Promises Kept" LP. I love those tracks, but I guess it's all a matter of personal taste...
    Last edited by carlo; 06-07-2011 at 09:54 AM.

I've also heard "This Is The Story" was close to selling out. Good news, huh?

A while ago someone asked about an email address to send requests and compliments etc. I think it might have been on another post but in case you don't have it the email address is:
    Classic.motown@umusic.com

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    I never bought the "This is the Story" set because I had all the albums, there were few bonus tracks on it, and the bonus tracks generally didn't seem to be well received. After I reviewed them on Youtube or elsewhere, I had to conclude they weren't all that interesting. Since buying the "Final Sessions," I've tried to find "Story" at a decent price. Several web sites list it at a good price but indicate it is "back order." However, after placing the order they come back and say they can't get it any longer, which seems odd as it's still available from Hip-O directly. Perhaps Hip-O is not making it available to resellers, trying to get the highest retail they can for it. I'd like to have it, but it still doesn't seem worth $85 to me with shipping and all.
    Kenneth, I strongly recommend you buy "This Is The Story" immediately! I brought mine off Hip-o a few weeks ago, and it's a must have for anyone who's a fan of the '70s Motown Sound. I expect this to be gone by the end of summer, and after that, it'll be even harder to come by at a reasonable price.

Quote Originally Posted by jboy88 View Post
    Kenneth, I strongly recommend you buy "This Is The Story" immediately! I brought mine off Hip-o a few weeks ago, and it's a must have for anyone who's a fan of the '70s Motown Sound. I expect this to be gone by the end of summer, and after that, it'll be even harder to come by at a reasonable price.
    You're likely correct. Of course I love all the previously released material. The "New Ways" and "Touch" LPs were amongst my favorites. It just didn't seem to be a good buy with just 12 or so unreleased tracks. I may do as you suggest though, and buy from Hip-O, since I haven't been able to find it elsewhere!

On Sweet Dream Machine~~~~~~~ who is the male voice on that track ?? Brian Holland ?

Kenneth, I would advise getting This Is The Story simply because the sound quality is very good on the set. And many of the unreleased tracks have terrific vocals on them. I love Jean's voice so all of the unreleased tracks are a treat for me.

I agree, the Jean set is fab!..
    as Janis Joplin once said,'get it while you can!'

Quote Originally Posted by George Solomon View Post
    I've also heard "This Is The Story" was close to selling out. Good news, huh?

A while ago someone asked about an email address to send requests and compliments etc. I think it might have been on another post but in case you don't have it the email address is:
    Classic.motown@umusic.com
    That was me, and I thank you for it! You said we must write and praise and request to help in giving the green light to more supreme releases.

It's been fun reading all the positive post,about The Supremes Let Yourself Go The Final Session 1974-9177 cd set,i must say that i started this post,and it shows that The Supremes Mary Cindy Scherrie and Susaye,were as great,as we thought they were,or maybe greater,then other,[[smile)if only Motown had push them,but still i Love The Music.no matter what.
    Please stay positive

Quote Originally Posted by REDHOT View Post
    It's been fun reading all the positive post,about The Supremes Let Yourself Go The Final Session 1974-9177 cd set,i must say that i started this post,and it shows that The Supremes Mary Cindy Scherrie and Susaye,were as great,as we thought they were,or maybe greater,then other,[[smile)if only Motown had push them,but still i Love The Music.no matter what.
    Please stay positive
    Amen RedHot!

smark21 Guest
    I've had a chance to live with the set for a couple of weeks and I sat down to write up an assessment of the set and each of the albums included. Here's part I:

The Supremes Let Yourself Go: The Final Sessions

After years of waiting in breathless anticipation, die hard Supremes fans were rewarded in May 2011 with the release of this box set compiling the last 3 albums released by the Supremes on Motown between 1975-76. These albums show the Supremes keeping up with the pop and dance music trends of the era, and with a new lead singer in the dynamic Scherrie Payne, they had a perfect voice to front their disco recordings. Likewise this era also saw the emergence of remaining original member Mary Wilson as a lead vocalist. Prior to 1975, Miss Wilson remained primarily in the background with the occasional lead or co lead on an album and a solo spot or two in their live show. It’s interesting to hear how confident and assured Wilson becomes as a lead vocalist between the tracks recorded for the first album on the set, 1975’s The Supremes, compared to her work the following year on High Energy and Mary, Scherrie and Susaye.

The Supremes 1975 album was the group’s first album in over two years, following the departure of Jean Terrell, who had replaced Diana Ross in 1970, and Lynda Lawrence. Long time fan favorite Cindy Birdsong, who had been in the group from 1967 [[replacing Florence Ballard) to 1972 [[she left the group to have a child and was replaced by Lawrence) was back alongside Mary and Scherrie. The album is a mixed bag of styles. Several disco songs, a few ballads and, most enjoyably, some pop songs fronted by Payne with Mary and Cindy providing classic Supremes style background vocals. Two of the songs on the album, Early Morning Love and Where Do I Go From Here, featured writing and production work by the Holland Brothers, who along with Lamont Dozier, wrote and produced many of the group’s most enduring and influential hits of the mid 60’s. The 1975 album is a bit uneven and was obviously recorded and issued to find a style for the Supremes to pursue for subsequent albums. As it turned out, disco and ballads won out, as evidenced by the songs, arrangements, and production found on High Energy and Mary, Scherrie and Susaye.

High Energy is my favorite album on the box set and it’s notable for several reasons. First of all, while Cindy Birdsong recorded background vocals for the album, she ultimately left The Supremes [[she states in the boxset booklet her departure was due to “Supremes burnout”) and was replaced by Susaye Greene, whose voice is overdubbed on all tracks. Thus, this is the first album to have 4 Supremes on vocals. Given the lush sound of the album, an extra voice is more than fitting to accompany the music; best of all the use of four voices proves not to be as bombastic as the vocal arrangements and performances on the last Jean Terrell era album, Supremes Produced and Arranged by Jimmy Webb, in which Webb added extra choral style background vocalists to give the album an over the top, overproduced quality on far too many of the songs. Unlike the Supremes 1975 album, all songs on High Energy were produced by the Holland Brothers, which gives the album a consistent quality throughout. The album is divided into a disco half and a ballad half. But whatever the style, all songs feature lush symphonic type arrangements and excellent production quality.

Later in 1976, The Supremes, in conjunction with the Hollands, recorded what was to be their last album Mary, Scherrie and Susaye. This time, the tilt of the album is geared toward the Discos, with 6 of the 8 songs being hard charging dance songs with the most aggressive vocals to ever to be found on a Supremes album. Two ballads led by Mary Wilson round out the album.

Along with the 3 released albums, the box set also includes a variety of tracks that were ultimately vaulted. Most of these songs were recorded for potential inclusion in the 1975 album. As with what landed on the final cut, there is a dabbling of disco, ballads and pop. The High Energy disc includes the original mixes [[by Russ Terranna) of the 8 songs that made the album as well as an inspirational song called “There’s Room at the Top” that despite its upbeat message would not have fit in well on High Energy [[or Mary, Scherrie and Susaye). No extra songs seemed to have been recorded for the last album, but the 3rd disc is filled out with alternate takes of songs. I wish there had been some further new songs to be found in the vault as it does get tedious after a while of hearing yet another version of songs like The Sha la Bandit, Give Out but Don’t Give Up, High Energy and Only You.

I’m going to give my impression of each official song on each album, along with a passing comment or two on notable extra tracks.

smark21 Guest
    Part II:

The Supremes 75:

He’s My Man: This was the first single released for the new line up. Mary and Scherrie split the lead. A fun song, though stylistically it falls into a weird gap that doesn’t really classify as either disco or pop. Danceable enough but it’s not hardcore disco and there’s no enticing hook. I like Mary’s phrasing on the verses, but the producers were wise to let Scherrie handle the power parts of the song as Mary Wilson is not that strong of a disco/dance singer. 7/10

Early Morning Love: One of my least favorite songs the Supremes ever recorded. Another watered down disco type song with Mary on lead. To me she’s trying too hard to sound sexy on a tacky song about having sex every morning after having sex all night long. 2/10

Where Is it I Belong: Mary sings lead on this ballad in which she whines about how lonely it is to be the other woman as her man has a wife and family to go home to. It’s a poor woman’s version of Me and Mrs. Jones and I don’t like the whole self-pitying poor me nature of the lyrics. And while ballads are Mary’s forte, her lead suffers from uncertain and hesitant phrasing. 3/10

It’s All Been Said Before: The album finally picks up with this perky pop song. Nice update of the classic Supremes vocal sound. Scherrie is on lead, but Mary and Cindy sing along on the verses and provide classic Supremes style background on the chorus as I’ve always joined their somewhat ethereal, pop vocal blend. 8/10

This is Why I Believe in You: Another watered down, neither fish nor fowl disco/pop song with Mary on lead with Scherrie taking over at the end for a gospel type finale. Again Mary’s phrasing isn’t too assured, especially in comparison to Scherrie’s confident vocals. The song has a catchy hook, but it’s undercut by a wishy washy instrumental arrangement. 5/10.

Can’t Stop a Girl in Love: Another fun pop song led by Scherrie. The lyrics have a bit of an obsessive stalker quality to the story as Scherrie sings about her determination to steal a man from another woman, but she makes it a fun story to listen to. The music and Mary and Cindy’s backgrounds also perk up the song. 8/10

Colour My World Blue: My favorite song on the album. Scherrie gives powerful gospel performance without going over the top. And the vocal interplay between Scherrie’s lead and Cindy and Mary’s ethereal backgrounds are intricate and enjoyable. 10/10.

Give Out but Don’t Give Up: Compared to This is Why I Believe In You, this is a much better R and B flavored pop song with inspirational lyrics. As with Colour My World Blue, there is an excellent juxtaposition of Scherrie’s gospel passion and Mary and Cindy’s harmonies. And though the instrument has earned a cheesy reputation in recent years. I like the saxophone that drives this song. 9/10

Where Do I go From Here: Best disco song on the album. Good driving arrangement with Scherrie’s powerful voice on lead. I also like Mary and Cindy crying out “Wait a minute baby” near the song’s close. 8/10

You Turn Me Around: The album concludes with this ballad by Mary. This is her best lead performance on the album as she tenderly sings the sensitive and ultimately uplifting words of the song. 9/10

Of the vaulted material from the Supremes 75 album, Bend A Little and Can We Love Again are the standouts and I wished they had been included on the album in place of Early Morning Love and Where Is it I Belong. Bend A Little is an energetic disco song with Scherrie on lead while Can We Love Again is a jazzy ballad with a smooth vocal from Mary. There are several versions of The Sha La Bandit, all led by Scherrie, but I prefer the Sha La Bandit found on the 70’s Supremes Anthology in which Mary, Cindy and Scherrie each take a verse. There are two silly disco songs, Mr. Boogie and Dance Fever, that were vaulted. Mr. Boogie pretty much sums it up. Dance Fever is musically pretty interesting but undercut by dumb, obvious lyrics about having, well, dance fever. Too bad more interesting lyrics could not have been crafted for this song which has a touch of the islands to its musical arrangement. Seed of Love and I Can Never Recover are both interesting but it’s understandable why they were vaulted. Seed of Love seems [[to my ears) to feature just Scherrie and Cindy, but the arrangement gets bogged down and the song doesn’t go anywhere. I Can Never Recover is catchier, but its chorus is very derivative of Up the Ladder to the Roof, which became both distracting and annoying to me.

smark21 Guest
    Part III:

High Energy:

High Energy: After a long musical intro, which at times sounds quite cheesy and the type of music Charlie’s Angels viewers might have heard to underscore that Jill or Kelly was in danger, we hear Mary give a silly spoken word intro about how she shares many things in life, but she’ll never share her man. This doesn’t sound very promising, but then Susaye Greene comes in to save the day with her five octave vocal range that swoops over a song with lyrics about sexual ecstacy. And her performance makes you believe her as Scherrie, Mary and Cindy chant “High, High Energy” in the background. 8/10

I’m gonna Let My Heart Do The Walking: Scherrie gives a full throated, impassioned vocal portraying a woman who discovers her inner strength and decides to dump her worthless man and go on with her life. The song is augmented with some great ad libs from Susaye and a thumping percussive beat and horn arrangement. 9/10

Only You: My least favorite song on the album. Scherrie’s powerhouse vocals can’t rescue a pedestrian disco song with bland lyrics about good sex. 5/10

You Keep Me Moving On: There are some “swipe” effects right before each of the verses that I don’t care much for and to my ears sound quite chintzy. But otherwise, this song has a driving arrangement full of appropriate momentum as Scherrie sings of the power of a higher love. I especially like the “Movin’, movin, movin, Moving On” chant in the chorus. 7/10

Don’t Let My Teardrops Bother You: Though the title and the lyrics have a melodramatic poor me quality that is not my cup of tea, this song is miles better than Where Is It I Belong. Mary gives a lush, sensitive breathy vocal that gently emphasizes the heartbreak in the verses, while she becomes impassioned and committed in singing the chorus. The song is complemented with a catchy hook and a lush synth and orchestral arrangement with ethereal backing vocals from Scherrie, Cindy and Susaye. 8/10

Til The Boat Sails Away: My favorite song on the album. Great symphonic arrangement and one of Mary’s best vocals ever recorded. She’s breathy and subtle, confident in her phrasing. She sings the song simply and truthfully. It’s a very slow song, but well worth the patience. 10/10

I Don’t Want to Lose You: Til the Boat seamlessly segues into this song which is another lushly arranged and sensitively performed ballad led by Mary. 10/10

You’re What’s Missing in My Life: After 3 slow ballads, the album ends with this mid tempo ballad in which Mary and Scherrie split the lead. Mary’s vocal is more aggressive here than on the 3 previous ballads, and appropriately so. In fact, her work is so strong that for years fans thought Scherrie did the entire lead. Scherrie is her usual excellent self and the background harmonies provide a suitable high note counterpoint to the more gritty quality of the lead vocals. 9/10

There’s only one extra track recorded for High Energy, the aforementioned There’s Room at the Top. In addition the disc features the original mixes of the 8 songs that made the album. Overall I prefer the mixes that made the final cut, but I’m impressed with the Terrana mixes on the 3 Mary led ballads as they are even more lush than what landed on the album. Of special note are the backgrounds on the Terrana mix of I Don’t Want to Lose You as Susaye lays down some beautiful “ahhs” in her classically trained soprano which neatly contrast with Mary’s breathy lead. The disc concludes with Susaye’s take of “I’m Gonna Let My Heart Do the Walking”. Fans will find her lead of great interest, but in the end I think the right decision was made to keep Scherrie’s lead as the officially released version as Scherrie comes off stronger. After a while Susaye’s version sounds rather squeaky [[though certainly on key). But some of the vocal licks that she put on her lead were lifted and placed on the official version and they do help to enhance the song, as evidence by another alternate take of ‘I’m Gonna Let My Heart Do the Walking” with Scherrie on lead but no ad libs from Susaye.

smark21 Guest
    Part IV/Conclusion

Mary Scherrie and Susaye:

You’re My Driving Wheel: One of the worst song titles in the Supremes catalog. To compare a lover to a steering column is not terribly romantic or sexy in my opinion. However the music is catchy and aggressively danceable. I like how the horn sound is produced. The rhythm is appropriately driving and the breakdown in the song is perfect for doing the robot, as Mary, Scherrie and Susaye would do in their live performances of this song, which was the first single from the album. 7/10

Sweet Dream Machine: This is sexy slow building disco song in which all three ladies have a lead part. Scherrie has the first verse and the chorus, Susaye chirps the title and Mary sings the second verse. This is my favorite song on the album thanks to the arrangement and vocal interplay. 9/10

Let Yourself Go: A frenetically arranged and sung song about dancing and partying. A bit of a comedown after the more intricate Sweet Dream Machine. 5/10

Come Into My Life: Another disco oriented song about sex [[true, most disco songs were about sex). While the words are nothing special, the song is enhanced with a clever arrangement combining Susaye’s high vocals, a synthesizer effect that matches her voice and takes over the high notes that she hits and holds, and a sexy chant style background vocal from Mary and Scherrie. Definetly a song to lose yourself to while dancing; in many respects the song becomes rather trippy due to its length. 8/10

We Should Be Closer Together: A ballad and much needed break from the disco onslaught. Mary takes the lead augmented hear and there by Susaye. I enjoy the contrast between the two voices. The track is long and features a slow, lush arrangement and very leisurely tempo and some good synth work as well. Scherrie is not on this song. Quiet storm is a fitting description for this song. 7/10

Don’t Want to Be Tied Down: A hard driving, funky dance song led by Scherrie. However this is my least favorite song on the album. It just comes across as filler and becomes a bit monotonous and shrill after a while. 4/10

You Are the Heart of Me: Another lushly arranged and sensuously performed ballad led by Mary. In the spirit of Donna Summer’s Love to Love You Baby, Mary simulates an orgasm in the song. The Supremes have come a long way from the innocent sounds of Baby Love, that’s for sure. As with her other Holland produced ballads, Mary’s lead is confident and assured while Scherrie and Susaye are ethereal with their background ooohs and ahhs. 8/10

Love I Never Knew You Could Feel So Good: Another frenetic disco song closes the album. It lasts for too long and there’s not much content lyric wise. But the singing is strong and joyful and shows how potent a vocal trio Mary, Scherrie and Susaye were. 6/10

Odds and ends fill out the remainder of Disc 3. The most interesting to me is an alternate version of Sweet Dream Machine where the vocals are rawer and features a long fade out where the girls are clearly having fun messing around in the recording studio which culminates in one of them [[to my ears, it sounds like Susaye) simulating an orgasm as the male voice on the song, Harold Beatty, does a Barry White style spoken word vocal.

While my favorite incarnations of the Supremes are the classic HDH recordings of Diana, Mary and, Florence and the Frank Wilson helmed period of Jean, Mary and Cindy, I thoroughly enjoyed the Let Yourself Go set. Hip-O did a fine job mastering the album and putting together a colorful and informative booklet. This is a treat for die hard Surpemes fans as well as fans of well produced disco music [[if not always well written lyricaly) of the mid 70’s. 4 ½ out of 5 stars.

Smark21

Wow! Because the release is so near for me now, I want to wait until I get a copy. But that was a might fine essay you put together there. Are you doing a book tour? *smile*

Well done!

More kudos to smark21. Many thanks for taking the time to present an extremely thoughtful critique of a very fine compilation!

smark21 Guest
    Thanks boxfromxtown and mowest. I had caught up on my work yesterday and had an afternoon to fill at the office so I wrote something up.

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    Smark21

Wow! Because the release is so near for me now, I want to wait until I get a copy. But that was a might fine essay you put together there. Are you doing a book tour? *smile*

Well done!
    I'm pissed because one of my discs in this set is scratched due to that ill thought out packaging. Crap like this drives me crazy.

Kamasu

Tell Universal..and use the classicsvault.com email address

Great review!

Who is singing lead on "Seed Of Love?" I sense that Cindy and Scherrie may have split leads on this but I can't tell. Thanks for the answer.

smark21, your review was incredible. I am listening to the set now and am so happy that Universal finally released it. I hope your review gets printed in a magazine or something. It really deserves that kind of attention. I enjoy your posts on this site very much.

Penny

Ramone Verona Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by mowest View Post
    Who is singing lead on "Seed Of Love?" I sense that Cindy and Scherrie may have split leads on this but I can't tell. Thanks for the answer.
    Cindy and Scherrie both take credit.