[REMOVE ADS]

Whatever Happen to Bertha Tillman

Hi this is Kev-Lo

I was playing Oh My Angel Earlier and I wondering was whatever happen to her

Great song, Kevlo.

KevLo, that is one of my all time favorite ballads and I have seen via the internet that I am not alone in my passion
    for that song and Bertha's delivery. Unfortunately in over 3 years of searching I have never been able to find out more
    about Bertha, where she was from, where she went other than some mention of her once working with Sly Stone. She's
    truly one of those one hit wonders that I wonder why in the hell didn't she have a bigger career...Anyway, I had to
    post this link for anyone who never heard the song...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3_DETdz7zA

Quote Originally Posted by splanky View Post
    KevLo, that is one of my all time favorite ballads and I have seen via the internet that I am not alone in my passion
    for that song and Bertha's delivery. Unfortunately in over 3 years of searching I have never been able to find out more
    about Bertha, where she was from, where she went other than some mention of her once working with Sly Stone. She's
    truly one of those one hit wonders that I wonder why in the hell didn't she have a bigger career...Anyway, I had to
    post this link for anyone who never heard the song...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3_DETdz7zA
    Thanks for posting this Splanky! I'd never heard of Bertha Tillman and I really enjoyed this song. A unique voice. Wonder if she recorded enough for a CD?

She didn't, but the track is on a CD...the "Birth of Soul, Volume 1" CD from UK Kent. I recommend it and all the volumes in that series.

Best,

Mark

From Ruben Molina's, The Old Barrio Guide to Low Rider Music:

Bertha Tillman was working as a department store salesgirl in San Diego when she was discovered by Hank Blackman of J.J. Jackson and the Jackals. Lead singer June Jackson had written "Oh My Angel" and the Jackals were the un-credited group that backed Tillman on this tremendously soulful tearjerker. During the same session the Jackals also recorded as Hank Blackman and the Killers "Everybody Has Someone" [[Brent 7030)

"Oh My Angel" '62/'63 [[Brent 7029) is a favorite of mine, and well-loved among many in California. My [[then) 5 year old nephew sung this song to me over the phone a few Christmases ago...

Also check out Bertha Tillman's "I Wish"
    Last edited by sunshineonacloudyday; 12-23-2010 at 04:04 AM.