[REMOVE ADS]

Whispers Unsung episode -- excellent

I learned a lot about the group, especially in the pre-SOLAR records days. I started buying their stuff when they were on SOLAR. Very interesting episode of one of my favorite groups. They packed a lot of info into 36 minutes.

I like the loyalty of the group members. If guys had to leave the group for awhile, they still paid them.

Class act. Saw them a couple of years ago live ... damn! Brought the house down.

I recorded this and just watched it few hours ago. That was really classy how they continued to pay the members even while they were not performing.

I also noticed that they were in the same situation as some artists at Motown in that their label was also their manager. And when they left, they left most of their success behind.

Awesome episode! The Whispers have long been one of my favorite groups. They are the favorite group of my brother and cousin. I've seen them in concert several times over the years but never knew their background story. I am so happy that Unsung chose them It was a proper choice here. Long live the Whispers!!!1

Walter and Wallace are the two coolest guys. Heck, they all came across really well.

Love so many of their songs and this line of "And the Beat Goes On" has often kept me from getting bummed out:

"Do you ever wonder, that to win somebody's got to lose? I might as well get over the blues."

Ah, what a great, great group!

I've always liked them. Now I have a new found love and respect for the Whispers. They are the prototype of what a group should be and how they should treat each other.

I bookmarked it for later viewing. A half an hour just doesn't seem long enough.

The Whispers were always a fantastic group. Leon Sylvers took them to another level when they came to SOLAR Records. Some of my favorite cuts by them weren't even their biggest hits like "Keep On Lovin' Me", "Do They Turn You On", "Say Yes", "Emergency", and [[especially) "Welcome Into My Dream". I haven't seen the "Unsung" episode yet, but their sound was undoubtedly the result of a very professional and mature approach to their craft.

I've been wondering lately who the signature act for SOLAR was, the Whispers? Lakeside? Shalamar? They had a heck of a run in the late '70s and '80s.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    The Whispers were always a fantastic group. Leon Sylvers took them to another level when they came to SOLAR Records. Some of my favorite cuts by them weren't even their biggest hits like "Keep On Lovin' Me", "Do They Turn You On", "Say Yes", "Emergency", and [[especially) "Welcome Into My Dream". I haven't seen the "Unsung" episode yet, but their sound was undoubtedly the result of a very professional and mature approach to their craft.

I've been wondering lately who the signature act for SOLAR was, the Whispers? Lakeside? Shalamar? They had a heck of a run in the late '70s and '80s.
    Boy, I loved Solar and I see The Whispers as the torch bearer for that label, though I certainly love Shalamar, Lakeside and others.

Yes, "Keep on Lovin' Me" and "Emergency" and the others you mentioned were awesome. What a great time for the group. Wish SOLAR was still cranking it out.

I enjoyed the Whispers as well. Still hoping they make a Unsung of the Dramatics, who are one of my favorites too.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    It is an acronym for "Sound Of Los Angeles Records", and that label was owned by Dick Griffey. It was once called Soul Train Records and was a partnership with Don Cornelius. Griffey and Cornelius had a falling out over the business direction, and both pulled out of the deal. That's when Griffey created Solar.

Solar was originally distributed by RCA as Soul Train Records was. When that deal went sour in 1981, Griffey switched distribution to Elektra Records of WEA. Then, he added the Constellation label that was distributed by MCA, with the female band Klymaxx as it's primary artist. When the Solar deal with Elektra deal was up, he switched to EMI in 1987.
    Last edited by soulster; 03-10-2013 at 01:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    It is an acronym for "Sound Of Los Angeles Records", and that label was owned by Dick Griffey. It was once called Soul Train Records and was a partnership with Don Cornelius. Griffey and Cornelius had a falling out over the business direction, and both pulled out of the deal. That's when Griffey created Solar.

Solar was originally distributed by RCA as Soul Train Records was. When that deal went sour in 1981, Griffey switched distribution to Elektra Records of WEA. Then, he added the Constellation label that was distributed by MCA, with the female band Klymaxx as it's primary artist. When the Solar deal with Elektra deal was up, he switched to EMI in 1987.
    The Whisper are a class act. What is needed is a complete box set of their recording because those brothers have some realy great music recorded before thier days with SOlar records. A few that come to mind is "I Got To Ind A Mother For My CHildren", I Only Meant To Wet My Feet", and "Seems Like I Got To Do Wrong". Great stuff

OMG, that was an EXCELLENT episode......Took me all the way back to 68-69 when I first heard them on the radio.....
    They also had the kind of tunes you could sing to, and NEVER be "off key", LOLOLOL!!!

Mad respect for these gentlemen and the brotherly love that they displayed for one another. No egos, just looking out for one another during the ups and the downs...the beat really does go on
    Last edited by glencro; 03-12-2013 at 10:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rod_rick View Post
    The Whisper are a class act. What is needed is a complete box set of their recording because those brothers have some realy great music recorded before thier days with SOlar records. A few that come to mind is "I Got To Ind A Mother For My CHildren", I Only Meant To Wet My Feet", and "Seems Like I Got To Do Wrong". Great stuff
    "Olivia [[Lost and Turned Out)", "we're Living Together [[In Sin)"... The list is almost endless.

Wish EMI would reissue the Whispers Anthology.

One of the best "Unsung" episodes........in this case you got to hear from every member of the group ....honest representation throughout.....

Quote Originally Posted by paladin View Post
    One of the best "Unsung" episodes........in this case you got to hear from every member of the group ....honest representation throughout.....
    Yeah, but Soulster was right: All of the "Unsung" episodes are too short to give you the whole story behind the bands, but this one was loaded with unexplored things that I wish I could know more about. You could do a solid two-hour episode on the Whispers and still leave tons of footage on the cutting room floor. I loved this episode.

""What More Can A Girl Ask For" has always been a favorite in their pre-Solar days. They had a great run with Leon Sylvers, I like "Keep on Lovin' Me," "Turn Me Out," really I've liked every album I've heard from them. That was a great Unsung, filled with info, great pics, minimal talking head minutiae.

And really it's nice to see a group with such a low amount of personnel changes as opposed to others.
    Last edited by zebop; 03-12-2013 at 03:02 PM.

Very well done!

Quote Originally Posted by paladin View Post
    I totally AGREE!!! Let's not forget about "Chocolate girl"!!!

Does anyone have the episode the unsung episode of the whispers? I've been looking to watch that specific episode for 2 years with no luck. Would really appreciate the help.

The "classic lineup":