[REMOVE ADS]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I'm not sure the notes say this explicitly, but BH&R was taken direct from a Motown master tape - this was mixed by Motown, not by Ace. It was very rare for Motown to mix a demo recording and add it to a master tape - they'd mix and cut direct to acetate so the artist could listen and learn the song at home. Most artists didn't own tape recorders.

Quote Originally Posted by keith_hughes View Post
    I'm not sure the notes say this explicitly, but BH&R was taken direct from a Motown master tape - this was mixed by Motown, not by Ace. It was very rare for Motown to mix a demo recording and add it to a master tape - they'd mix and cut direct to acetate so the artist could listen and learn the song at home. Most artists didn't own tape recorders.
    Thanks again for the info Keith.

I did send you a PM regarding the third version of 'Baby Hit & Run', [[not sure if you got it) but we now know it's the same track [[as you suspected).

Am I right in thinking that Ivy Hunters version of 'Ask the Lonely' was one of the rare instances of a demo vocal that was mixed, mastered, and kept? [[Although I seem to recall that the tape box or info was marked up as Tommy Good, hence the confusion on 'Motown Sings Motown Treasures').

Anyway, listening to the samples of 'Sometimes I Have To Cry' and 'Our Last Rendezvous', from the new Contours CD , the lead vocalist sounds to me different to the one that's on 'Baby Hit & Run'. [[For some reason, the vocalist sounds like, or reminds me of Bobbie Smith!)

And listening to 'When A Man Loves A Woman', the lead on this sounds different to that on the other two tracks I mentioned!

That all said, I'm very much looking forward to this CD, so thanks to you, and all involved in bringing it to fruition.

Cheers

Paul