[REMOVE ADS]

Singing another person's lead vocal ....

We all know Mary Wilson runs around the world singing Diana Ross' lead vocal. But, do or did any of the Miracles sing Smokey's lead vocal, or did any of the Four Tops sing Levi's lead vocal, or do or did any Vandella make a career of singing Martha's lead vocal?

Those are all groups. What is your point?

During the first Motortown Revue, Smokey Robinson took ill and missed a few dates. Claudette took over the lead vocals in his absence. Since they were still relatively new, some audience members thought Claudette was Smokey.

Well the great Billy Griffin took over when Smokey left The Miracles so I guess he sang a few Smokey leads. The Four Tops still perform with The Duke in the line up so someone else is taking Levi's leads.

I guess I don't have to mention the Temptations and their 200 different revue groups then?

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    I guess I don't have to mention the Temptations and their 200 different revue groups then?
    Even in their heyday!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Xw8euvX39I

When you are in a successful group, it's natural to take what you can adapt best to you and to use it as a meal ticket and career

Yes like what happened to Flo Ballard.

I think the unique group to answer this question is Black Ivory. They are a group from the sevenites and still perform with the three original members, Leroy Burgess, Stuart Bascombe, and Russell Patterson. intact.

LeRoy Burgess did lead on all those singles.
    They released a new CD in 2011 called “Continuum”. The group also returned to the stage on the Oldies circuit, but now Leroy’s leads are being sung by Stuart Bascombe.

In the 2012 version, original lead singer LeRoy is on the right and Stuart Bascombe is now doing the lead

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Sadly Flo couldn't get that far; Mary bettered her emulation of Diane though

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Good one Luke!

I loved Jean Terrell's lead on "My World Is Empty Without You".

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    I think the unique group to answer this question is Black Ivory. They are a group from the sevenites and still perform with the three original members, Leroy Burgess, Stuart Bascombe, and Russell Patterson. intact.

LeRoy Burgess did lead on all those singles.
    They released a new CD in 2011 called “Continuum”. The group also returned to the stage on the Oldies circuit, but now Leroy’s leads are being sung by Stuart Bascombe.
    Good topic. Milven, I know nothing about Black Ivory. Is there a reason for the lead switch?

Quote Originally Posted by soulwally View Post
    Good topic. Milven, I know nothing about Black Ivory. Is there a reason for the lead switch?
    I don't know why they changed lead singer in later years.

But, in the comment section of the 2012 You Tube video, Stuart Bascombe said that he assumed the role of singing lead on songs featuring a falsetto vocal that were originally recorded and performed by Leroy Burgess starting in 1979. All three are original members, but Leroy gave up the falsetto leads to Stuart. Maybe Leroy couldn't hit the falsetto notes anymore.

I really can not imagine this happening in other groups - but maybe it has

During the first post-Jermaine J5/Jacksons period, Marlon sang Jermaine's parts with Michael. I think Jackie and Jermaine take turns with MJ's lead vocals during recent Jacksons concerts now.

Do the Jacksons still appear in concert in recent years? Which brothers appear?

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    During the first post-Jermaine J5/Jacksons period, Marlon sang Jermaine's parts with Michael. I think Jackie and Jermaine take turns with MJ's lead vocals during recent Jacksons concerts now.
    I remember that.

Here the Miracles are in 2013 with Sydney Justin on lead:

I know they're trying to keep the legacy alive,but somehow it just falls flat.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Do the Jacksons still appear in concert in recent years? Which brothers appear?

As a matter of fact, they just came off a tour over in Nigeria this past December....They're celebrating their 50th year in show business and are touring over in Europe right now....Check out their facebook page for more info.....

I don't know why people get so butt hurt when Mary sings a Supremes song. She did, for the most part, originally record those songs, whether it was lead, or backup.

I never see anyone complaining about [[God bless them), the FLOs who, for the most part, did NOT originally record those songs, whether it was lead, or backup. They've made a pretty good living [[30 years, and counting!) off of singing Diana's songs. In fact, they just did a show where they performed "Lovelight"..... a song NONE of them [[most likely) EVER performed, even when they WERE Supremes. Except for maybe RTL.

Roz and Nettie perform today as the "Original" Vandellas, with a new lead singer. To me, they have more claim than anyone else.

And technically, isn't Mary just doing a "cover"? Much like Aretha does for just about everyone else's songs, but then has a fit if someone sings one of her songs? LOL.

There's tons of singers and groups that perform today, singing songs they didn't originally sing lead on. Valerie of the Three Degrees sings "WWISYA".....a song originally lead by Sheila. Then there's the whole Darlene Love mess.....she recorded as a Blossom, but had singles released as a Crystal. So when she's singing "Da Doo Ron Ron", she's actually singing La La's part. And La La. Talk about butt hurt, LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    I don't know why people get so butt hurt when Mary sings a Supremes song. She did, for the most part, originally record those songs, whether it was lead, or backup.

I never see anyone complaining about [[God bless them), the FLOs who, for the most part, did NOT originally record those songs, whether it was lead, or backup. They've made a pretty good living [[30 years, and counting!) off of singing Diana's songs. In fact, they just did a show where they performed "Lovelight"..... a song NONE of them [[most likely) EVER performed, even when they WERE Supremes. Except for maybe RTL.

Roz and Nettie perform today as the "Original" Vandellas, with a new lead singer. To me, they have more claim than anyone else.

And technically, isn't Mary just doing a "cover"? Much like Aretha does for just about everyone else's songs, but then has a fit if someone sings one of her songs? LOL.

There's tons of singers and groups that perform today, singing songs they didn't originally sing lead on. Valerie of the Three Degrees sings "WWISYA".....a song originally lead by Sheila. Then there's the whole Darlene Love mess.....she recorded as a Blossom, but had singles released as a Crystal. So when she's singing "Da Doo Ron Ron", she's actually singing La La's part. And La La. Talk about butt hurt, LOL.
    Amen!

LOL at Aretha. Both she and Whitney have had big careers built upon covers of other people's songs.

I haven't seen the FLOS perform live. I can only count on videos uploaded to YouTube, but do they even do the 70's material? I would think Lynda would jump at doing "Bad Weather," or Scherrie would do several from her time like "He's My Man," "I'm Gonna Let My Heart Doing The Walking," or "You're My Driving Wheel." I understand people want to hear the 60's material but you'd think there would be a push to emphasize the songs they contributed to in the group.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post

Right. I don't get why people have issue with Mary singing them. I mean, she was one of the original members, was she not? The most consistent member as well? Why shouldn't she sing these songs? The covers I've seen her of do of the classic Supremes period was really good... they need to cut Mary some slack. Doing songs by someone you sang backup on originally is not abnormal lol

As I recall on the singles released by Motown in the 60's and 70's, the title of the artist was listed as "Supremes" or "Diana Ross and the Supremes" or "The Supremes". I did not find any Motown artist listings as "Diana Ross' Lead Vocal". I looked in various Motown discographies for the artist named "Diana Ross' Lead Vocal" and did not find that name listed under any category.

I saw the Marvelettes in concert at Wimbledon in the 1990s, but I can't remember if Gladys Horton took the lead for any of the songs that Wanda Rogers had fronted. Can anyone refresh my memory?