[REMOVE ADS]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tsull1 View Post
    http://www.target.com/p/stax-50-a-50...FRWRfgodxpUAUA

Otis' listed, Sam & Dave listed on this STAX CD ... not sure how they can get their music on STAX if they weren't Stax artist.
    I would imagine that CD was a collaberation between Stax and Atlantic Tsull1.

What has always mystified me is how back in 1993 a previously unissued OTIS REDDING track appeared on this C.D. as I'd been under the impression that Atlantic had the rights to all of his Stax recordings [[which is why Atco were releasing his material throughout 1968/9) ..

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Do-Crossover...s_all_1#disc_1

Roger

Quote Originally Posted by roger View Post
    I would imagine that CD was a collaberation between Stax and Atlantic Tsull1.

What has always mystified me is how back in 1993 a previously unissued OTIS REDDING track appeared on this C.D. as I'd been under the impression that Atlantic had the rights to all of his Stax recordings [[which is why Atco were releasing his material throughout 1968/9) ..

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Do-Crossover...s_all_1#disc_1

Roger
    Roger, although Atlantic Records has the rights to nearly all of Otis Redding's Stax recordings, there are a few of his recordings that do not belong to Atlantic. Basically, these are recordings that had not been released by the mid-70s.

In 1992, Fantasy Records released a CD with 22 previously unissued tracks by Otis Redding entitled Remember Me. The most noteworthy of these tracks was "Trick or Treat", one of the few songs that the prolific Stax song-writing team of Isaac Hayes and David Porter had written specifically for Otis Redding. In the UK, Ace Records released this CD under the title It's Not Just Sentimental.

In the notes to Remember Me, Bill Belmont explains the ownership agreement concerning Otis Redding's Stax recordings. The following is an excerpt from those notes:

"The previously unreleased masters in this Compact Disc were assembled from the Stax/Volt library of tapes purchased by Fantasy Records in 1977.

Stax/Volt's distribution agreement with Atlantic Records was in effect until early 1968. One of the conditions of the agreement was that Atlantic had the rights to release all Otis Redding masters for a period of four years from the termination of the agreement, after which they reverted to Stax. Atlantic did in fact put out several Redding albums from his final sessions in 1967 [[Dock of the Bay, The Immortal Otis Redding, Love Man, Tell the Truth) and a live date [[In Person at the Whiskey au Go Go) was issued posthumously in'68. The balance of Otis's set at the Whiskey was the only other Redding material actually released by Atlantic [[Recorded Live, 1982). This was not Atlantic property per the agreement, but it was licensed to them to them in error, which they acknowledged."

Besides the material on the Remember Me CD, Fantasy [[now owned by Concord Music Group) and Ace Records have released numerous alternate takes of Otis recordings on compilation CDs. These alternate takes and outtakes are not the property of Atlantic Records. Anything on the master tapes that had not been released by the time the tapes reverted back to Stax now belong to the current owners of Stax.

There is also another Otis Redding recording that does not belong to Atlantic. While Otis was in Muscle Shoals producing an Arthur Conley session, he recorded a crude demo of the song "You Left The Water Running." In 1977, an edited version of this demo, with overdubbed musical augmentation including horns, was released as a single on Stone Records. This overdubbed version has shown up on numerous Otis compilations since its initial release. The original unedited [[and without the overdubs) version was released in 2011 by Ace Records on the Fame Studios Story 1961-73 box set.
    Last edited by Nothing But Soul; 11-29-2014 at 04:31 PM.