[REMOVE ADS]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    Ran - 100% agree. the Ivey Woodford tracks are some of the strongest of the 70s. they might not be quite a magical at Ladder or Stoned Love. but frankly what is? those two are super rare. but these tracks from 75 were excellent. motown should have quickly jumped on these and pushed out an album. there are some amazing Mary leads and Scherrie of course kills it. frankly i'm not a huge fan of the shared lead tracks - like the shared lead Sha La or the all-group-unison Give Out. i like the idea but i don't think these were the best results. still this could have been a strong pop album, easily re-establishing the act in the pop world.

to your point 'would these be #1'? i also agree. Can't Stop would have done well. top 20 definitely. maybe top 10. and depending on what else was fighting on the charts for #1, maybe it could have almost made it. same with Color.
    I love the shared lead "Sha La"! Lol I wish it had made the original album. I'm not all that crazy about the Scherrie only led versions. [[I also love the ones by Aretha and Sandra Wright.)

Just speculating, but if everything stayed the same [[as in Scherrie and Susaye become Supremes, the albums are released as they were, tracklists intact) I think singles wise I may have gone with this:

"Early Morning Love"...If consistency was an issue- and it was- I think if they came right out the gate with Mary leading and Motown promoted the hell out of the issue that Mary was still very much with the group [[I know Mary has said even some djs didn't realize an original Supreme was still with the act at some point) and singing lead on this song, it could have caught on. Also with it being a Holland brothers production and the reunion of the group with two thirds of the writing team that helped put the group on the map in the first place I think it had a chance at going at least top 40 pop, top 20 r&b. Not only would it have been a reminder that Mary was still very much a Supreme, but also that it's a new era from the sound of a Diana or Jean. With the down time between Jean and Lynda's exit and the release of "He's My Man", the Supremes needed a super boost in promotion and these nostalgic elements- Mary, one of the ladies who took the world by storm in the 60s, and the Hollands who helped them- could have helped the public at least give the new group a chance. Next...

"You Can't Stop a Girl"...great way to introduce that there is yet another new girl, but she's a dynamo and the song is just great. I could really hear it floating on the airwaves, people calling stations to request it, copies flying out of the stores. I actually think it had a chance at #1, but at least top 10.

"Color My World Blue"...sort of follows the formula of the previous single. I think it could have gone top 10.

"You Turn Me Around...if one more single could be squeezed out of Supremes 75, I think this would have been the one. It's a beautiful vocal by Mary and a beautiful arrangement. And it shows the group had versatility in styles of song. I think it could have gone at least top 20, maybe top 10.

"I'm Gonna Let My Heart Do the Walking"...I think it was a perfect decision to release it as a single, so I wouldn't change it. At this point the group has wracked up three or four big hits together, so "Walking" would have gotten more attention and thus probably fared better than it did. Easy top 10, although I wouldn't rule out #1.

"High Energy"...once again it's time to introduce the new girl. I think the song is very good. The only change I would make is the chorus. I think the chorus is what might hold the song back. Change the chorus and I think "High Energy" could have gone top 20 or 25 pop, top 10 r&b.

"Don't Let My Teardrops Bother You"...fantastic Mary vocal. The arrangement of everything is dope. Sounds very contemporary. I think it could have gone #1, at least top 10.

"You're What's Missing In My Life"...great song, and complimentary vocal interplay between two vastly different singers, more effective here than say on "Touch". The track is really nice, danceable. I'd call it a top 10.

With the release of the MSS album, I think it should have been promoted that this was it, the end of the road for the group.

"Sweet Dream Machine" would be the lead single, see where it goes.

"We Should Be Closer Together"...a great way to give Mary a bit of a push as a soloist. I think it could have gone top 40 pop, top 20 or 10 r&b.

"Let Yourself Go"...the final single, a great way to end, with the girls just having a ball as opposed to singing about love found or lost.
    Last edited by RanRan79; 04-20-2023 at 12:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    I love the shared lead "Sha La"! Lol I wish it had made the original album. I'm not all that crazy about the Scherrie only led versions. [[I also love the ones by Aretha and Sandra Wright.)

Just speculating, but if everything stayed the same [[as in Scherrie and Susaye become Supremes, the albums are released as they were, tracklists intact) I think singles wise I may have gone with this:

"Early Morning Love"...If consistency was an issue- and it was- I think if they came right out the gate with Mary leading and Motown promoted the hell out of the issue that Mary was still very much with the group [[I know Mary has said even some djs didn't realize an original Supreme was still with the act at some point) and singing lead on this song, it could have caught on. Also with it being a Holland brothers production and the reunion of the group with two thirds of the writing team that helped put the group on the map in the first place I think it had a chance at going at least top 40 pop, top 20 r&b. Not only would it have been a reminder that Mary was still very much a Supreme, but also that it's a new era from the sound of a Diana or Jean. With the down time between Jean and Lynda's exit and the release of "He's My Man", the Supremes needed a super boost in promotion and these nostalgic elements- Mary, one of the ladies who took the world by storm in the 60s, and the Hollands who helped them- could have helped the public at least give the new group a chance. Next...

"You Can't Stop a Girl"...great way to introduce that there is yet another new girl, but she's a dynamo and the song is just great. I could really hear it floating on the airwaves, people calling stations to request it, copies flying out of the stores. I actually think it had a chance at #1, but at least top 10.

"Color My World Blue"...sort of follows the formula of the previous single. I think it could have gone top 10.

"You Turn Me Around...if one more single could be squeezed out of Supremes 75, I think this would have been the one. It's a beautiful vocal by Mary and a beautiful arrangement. And it shows the group had versatility in styles of song. I think it could have gone at least top 20, maybe top 10.

"I'm Gonna Let My Heart Do the Walking"...I think it was a perfect decision to release it as a single, so I wouldn't change it. At this point the group has wracked up three or four big hits together, so "Walking" would have gotten more attention and thus probably fared better than it did. Easy top 10, although I wouldn't rule out #1.

"High Energy"...once again it's time to introduce the new girl. I think the song is very good. The only change I would make is the chorus. I think the chorus is what might hold the song back. Change the chorus and I think "High Energy" could have gone top 20 or 25 pop, top 10 r&b.

"Don't Let My Teardrops Bother You"...fantastic Mary vocal. The arrangement of everything is dope. Sounds very contemporary. I think it could have gone #1, at least top 10.

"You're What's Missing In My Life"...great song, and complimentary vocal interplay between two vastly different singers, more effective here than say on "Touch". The track is really nice, danceable. I'd call it a top 10.

With the release of the MSS album, I think it should have been promoted that this was it, the end of the road for the group.

"Sweet Dream Machine" would be the lead single, see where it goes.

"We Should Be Closer Together"...a great way to give Mary a bit of a push as a soloist. I think it could have gone top 40 pop, top 20 or 10 r&b.

"Let Yourself Go"...the final single, a great way to end, with the girls just having a ball as opposed to singing about love found or lost.
    maybe since i was so accustomed to Sha La being Scherrie only that i just didn't quite latch onto the multi lead. i love the idea of doing it. i just don't think M and C leads are especially strong. unlike the stunning Bridge over Troubled Water on NW. ignoring the dumb fog horn, their shared leads were so beautiful.

for me and singles, i'd do the following.

It's all been said - and released this practically immediately after recording. either late, late Dec 74 or first thing in Jan 75

Can't stop a girl - spring 75

Color My world - Sept 75

He's My Man - Dec 75

Walking - March 76

Let yourself go - Aug 76

don't wanna be tied down - Dec 76

That's an interesting idea to actively promote MS&S as a "farewell" album. one comment on your listing is that is a LOT of singles. not sure how each could be scheduled in there without releasing on top of one another